Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,645 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

London Questions - First Time Visitor - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / London Questions - First Time Visitor (1618 Views)

South Africa Through The Eyes Of A First-time Visitor - Daily Trust / Uk Visitor's Visa ( First Timers) / First Time Visitor To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

London Questions - First Time Visitor by New9jabeb: 7:29am On Aug 17, 2011
Hi all

Which area to stay in London for shopping and ease of transportation? Like most people I drive everywhere within Lagos and the thought of dragging bags and bags from one train,tube or the other is really a put off and taxi fares seem to be really on the high side. I'm not looking for high end shopping but just regular shops like next etc.

How much are you willing to pay for hotel accommodation? And where do you stay when you are visiting London on a tourist visa?

Are there trolleys for luggages at the stations like at airports.

Thanks in advance
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by werepeLeri: 8:21am On Aug 17, 2011
No where in London where you cant get good stuff to buy - but for all people, Oxford Street is the choice, here you will find all High Street fashion shop, computer shops, phone shops, accessory shops and all whatever you want to buy.

You drive within Lagos or London you mean? You can drive around but you will find it rather more convenient not to drive around but to use the public transport because parking your car can be a nightmare sometimes, and if you park where you are not suppose to, there is nothing like I beg sir, dont you know who I am.

So - better get on your boots and prepare to use the trains and tubes or just shop within your neighbourhood.

Trolleys for Luggages at the stations? Maybe some tube stations, but mind you - even if they are, they wil be just for short distances from the train to the platforms but not out.

Enjoy your summer but beware of looters.
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by New9jabeb: 9:13am On Aug 17, 2011
thanks hey

meant drive here in lagos, get out of your house into the car and go whereever without having to walk to the nearest busstop or worry about how you will manage to carry two or three heavy bags.

on the trolley as long as they are there fine. will probably do taxi from hotel to paddington and get onto the heathrow express. im trying to be cheap and not suffer at the same time and still be within my budget.
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by martinosi: 1:03pm On Aug 17, 2011
werepeLeri:

No where in London where you cant get good stuff to buy - but for all people, Oxford Street is the choice, here you will find all High Street fashion shop, computer shops, phone shops, accessory shops and all whatever you want to buy.

You drive within Lagos or London you mean? You can drive around but you will find it rather more convenient not to drive around but to use the public transport because parking your car can be a nightmare sometimes, and if you park where you are not suppose to, there is nothing like I beg sir, dont you know who I am.

So - better get on your boots and prepare to use the trains and tubes or just shop within your neighbourhood.

Trolleys for Luggages at the stations? Maybe some tube stations, but mind you - even if they are, they wil be just for short distances from the train to the platforms but not out.

Enjoy your summer but beware of looters.

Yeah Right,
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by martinosi: 1:10pm On Aug 17, 2011
New9ja.beb:

thanks hey

meant drive here in lagos, get out of your house into the car and go whereever without having to walk to the nearest busstop or worry about how you will manage to carry two or three heavy bags.

on the trolley as long as they are there fine. will probably do taxi from hotel to paddington and get onto the heathrow express. im trying to be cheap and not suffer at the same time and still be within my budget.

If you are looking to do alot of shopping it all depends
on where you are staying in London

Oxford Street is over rated, packed with too much tourist and it just over-crowded

I suggest you Plan a shopping day and go to

"Bluewater or Lakeside"

As for hotels, dont you have any friends or relatives to stay with?
Holiday Inn are not that bad but its not worth burning all your money
You can also try short stay flats in central lOndon

Look on "Gumtree" for cheap-quality short stay one/two bedroom
apartments in Central London. should be about £40-60 a night
but as i said before its better to stay with relatives or friends.

If you need more info just reply,
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by werepeLeri: 1:17pm On Aug 17, 2011
martinosi:

Yeah Right,

whats the meaning of yeah right? You just learnt the slang and mis using it already?

Whats new in what you have said?

Duh!!
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by justwise(m): 1:24pm On Aug 17, 2011
martinosi:

If you are looking to do alot of shopping it all depends
on where you are staying in London

Oxford Street is over rated, packed with too much tourist and it just over-crowded

I suggest you Plan a shopping day and go to

"Bluewater or Lakeside"

As for hotels, dont you have any friends or relatives to stay with?
Holiday Inn are not that bad but its not worth burning all your money
You can also try short stay flats in central lOndon

Look on "Gumtree" for cheap-quality short stay one/two bedroom
apartments in Central London. should be about £40-60 a night
but as i said before its better to stay with relatives or friends.

If you need more info just reply,
Gumtree is full of crooks, many houses/flats advertised there are fake. The poster is better off staying in B&B than getting ripped-off by crooks behind those posh holiday pads u see online.
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by TeeJay6(m): 1:27pm On Aug 17, 2011
Poster has money to buy flight ticket, money for shopping yet he dey look for cheapo hotels or "looted" friends & relatives in London to house him grin grin
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by werepeLeri: 1:30pm On Aug 17, 2011
Dont mind Martionisi

My friend had a gun pulled at him when he went to meet an advertiser on Gumtree.

Poster - stay away from Gumtree- and beside - some new comers in London will give you wrong advice. Beware.
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by justwise(m): 1:39pm On Aug 17, 2011
werepeLeri:

Dont mind Martionisi

My friend had a gun pulled at him when he went to meet an advertiser on Gumtree.

Poster - stay away from Gumtree- and beside - some new comers in London will give you wrong advice. Beware.

Gumtree used to be a very good site for all sorts deals including jobs, now is full of fraudusters .
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by New9jabeb: 1:58pm On Aug 17, 2011
@tee-jay na wa oh for you

my cheapo was referring to having to haul bags from one train or bus the other so that i don't spend money on a taxi.  the 10 or 20pounds i can save there can use it somewhere else. that was the whole point of posting my question.

@martinosi
thanks hey especially for the shopping malls etc.

about where to stay i was just wondering about where other Nigerians who travel and not stay with relatives which areas within London they stay and how much they pay for the accommodation. Which i know depends on individual taste and comfort level, Just need to know what is the norm out there.
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by N101: 2:03pm On Aug 17, 2011
@ martinosi, I agree with you on the shopping, I wouldn't go to Oxford Street, when you can get pretty much the same in other parts of the city.

@ poster - you've got out of town options Bluewater, Lakeside, within London there's Westfield and local shopping areas are pretty good too, like Brent Cross.  I would have also suggested Wood Green and Croydon but they're a bit of a mess at the moment.
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by martinosi: 2:10pm On Aug 18, 2011
N101:

@ martinosi, I agree with you on the shopping, I wouldn't go to Oxford Street, when you can get pretty much the same in other parts of the city.

@ poster - you've got out of town options Bluewater, Lakeside, within London there's Westfield and local shopping areas are pretty good too, like Brent Cross.  I would have also suggested Wood Green and Croydon but they're a bit of a mess at the moment.

If the guy is looking for everything then he should just do the Lakeside/Blue-water shop till you drop option!!!
Re: London Questions - First Time Visitor by N101: 8:34pm On Aug 18, 2011
martinosi:

If the guy is looking for everything then he should just do the Lakeside/Blue-water shop till you drop option!!!

But Lakeside/Bluewater from Paddington is a bit of a trek no? Plus now there's Westfield, the same options are there grin

(1) (Reply)

Any Help With Eu Countires To Hustle , And Study PT... / Have You Seen This In Abuja? / Difference Between Economy Class and First Class Flight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.