Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,989 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

How To Make Money With Opensource - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Make Money With Opensource (1739 Views)

Going Opensource With Asp.net!! / Opensource 3D Game Participation Call / The Best E-commerce Platform For Nigeria (opensource) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Money With Opensource by Thatdave(m): 1:33pm On Aug 17, 2011
i am currently creating a cms with cakephp. I am contemplating whether to make it open source or not. Please guys, how do i ever profit if my app is opensource ? What are other advantages. Or is it just better to fix a price tag on it? Or make it free and mumble the core code to avoid soft theft?

*experienced contributions please*
Re: How To Make Money With Opensource by Fayimora(m): 2:04pm On Aug 17, 2011
You dont make profit from opensource. Thats why its opensource(FREE!). You have given them(users) to use, edit and re-distribute your product. However there are a few workarounds. You can make your software opensource at first but upgrades are offered at a small price. Also, you can make a lil bit from your software's pluggins. The most popular way is donation!. You just do you work well and trust me, you would feel like you are paid weekly from the donations you would receive.

However, I must still warn you dat making you project opensource means you aren't expecting any profit from it. In essence, you are only happy with the fact that people are enjoying your service!
Re: How To Make Money With Opensource by talk2hb1(m): 4:06pm On Aug 22, 2011
The joy of most open source developer is when they see people using their application.
You can make money from your open source when they ask for a customized version of your application or you can use it to market your product or yourself.
SANJUMA
2MQ wink
Re: How To Make Money With Opensource by netghost: 6:25pm On Aug 22, 2011
Fayimora:

In essence, you are only happy with the fact that people are enjoying your service!

cry cry cry cry
Re: How To Make Money With Opensource by Beaf: 10:46pm On Aug 22, 2011
You can try one of:

[list]
[li]Selling your services (help and support) to corporations that use your software, or[/li]
[li]Selling the help manual for the software[/li]
[/list]

There could be other ways related to the above you could try as well.
Re: How To Make Money With Opensource by Nobody: 7:25am On Aug 23, 2011
I just made an opensource framework too. I have already started using it though. To document and upload the thing hard small. . . . .for these same reasons
netghost:

cry cry cry cry
But i will do it sha, i have already registered the website = www.dhtmlframework.com - and i have used it to develop a couple of sites like
www.9jasentfromheaven.com and www.profjohnobafunwa.com
Re: How To Make Money With Opensource by Fayimora(m): 5:54pm On Aug 23, 2011
*dhtml:

I just made an opensource framework too. I have already started using it though. To document and upload the thing hard small. . . . .for these same reasonsBut i will do it sha, i have already registered the website = www.dhtmlframework.com - and i have used it to develop a couple of sites like

I think i saw a demo you posted on webmasters section, not sure tho, lol and i expected you to be using a better host. Are you really enjoying the limited space and bandwidth you have the very few features? I can show you something better, pm me if ur interested so we dont derail this thread!
Re: How To Make Money With Opensource by Thatdave(m): 8:57pm On Aug 23, 2011
@dhtml
was it a framework u rolled out?
I mean something that does not already have a cms?
Re: How To Make Money With Opensource by netghost: 10:58pm On Aug 23, 2011
*dhtml:

I just made an opensource framework too. I have already started using it though. To document and upload the thing hard small. . . . .for these same reasonsBut i will do it sha, i have already registered the website = www.dhtmlframework.com - and i have used it to develop a couple of sites like

nice
Re: How To Make Money With Opensource by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 23, 2011
Fayimora:

I think i saw a demo you posted on webmasters section, not sure tho, lol and i expected you to be using a better host. Are you really enjoying the limited space and bandwidth you have the very few features? I can show you something better, pm me if your interested so we dont derail this thread!
I will upgrade in time. For now, i am just starting the whole thing. Thanks anyway

Thatdave:

@dhtml
was it a framework u rolled out?
I mean something that does not already have a cms?
It is a framework, but it is highly extensible. You can develop custom templates, modules, plugins, components and stuffs.

I created all the necessary cms modules into the framework from the start, so that on installation - the framework has a
very good backend and is somewhat similar to drupal (in terms of functionality). If you have researched enough, you will
find out that drupal is classified as both a FRAMEWORK and a CMS - some people even call it a CONTENT MANAGEMENT FRAMEWORK.

My framework falls into that category too. Some people argue that if a framework has a frontend and backend that it is classified as
cms - but even wikipedia does not agree with that. Joomla on the order hand is classified as purely cms. Although it has a very good
API.

That not withstanding, my framework has its own unique features and it is highly extensible. I am already trying to work out the documentation.
Re: How To Make Money With Opensource by Nobody: 11:52pm On Aug 23, 2011
Hmmmm creating documentation is stress if you did PHPDOC on each classes and module your stress can be saved by just using PHP Documentation Generator i used it to generate Joomla Doc,but if there's no PHPDOC on urs, omo u go write am yourself be that cuz na only u understand the code. grin
Re: How To Make Money With Opensource by Mobinga: 1:04am On Aug 24, 2011
Put adverts in the code! grin Most people wouldn't even bother removing it.
Re: How To Make Money With Opensource by Nobody: 1:22am On Aug 24, 2011
E be like say i go write am myself o. ~And mobinga is corecta too

(1) (Reply)

Sorting Algorithms / Am a Software Developer.... But I need help from any of you guys. / Why Programmers Are Single

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.