Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,838 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? (21599 Views)

Would You Attend This Type Of Interview? / Can This Type Of Vacancy Be Advertised In Nigeria / Do You Ever Wonder What The Origin Of Worker's Day Is? ��� (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by ScamHunter: 8:10pm On Oct 18, 2022
Someone has been directed to fire an employee who has been with the company for more than 40 years. The order is from top management and this person is wondering how to do this. Is there any procedure for the summary disengagement of someone in their 60s who seems to have spent all their working life in the company?

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by doggedfighter(f): 8:57pm On Oct 18, 2022
What a time to fire a man in his 60s who has given almost hi all to the company !

Fire not even honourable retirement !

197 Likes 16 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by prof2007: 2:54am On Oct 19, 2022
Hiring and firing are realities of corporate life.

Nonetheless, those companies and managers that understand the importance of human resources will always endeavour to treat their workers with dignity, courtesy and consideration, even when they have to let them go.

Thus, the manager or supervisor who has been given the assignment to fire this long-serving worker should endeavour to do the following:

1. Convince management to give some time/funds to prepare the staff for the disengagement e.g. by arranging a pre-retirement course for the staff.

2. Ensure that the staff is given a letter of disengagement that highlights the worker's positive contributions during his years of service, and that expresses appreciation for same.

3. Convince management to provide a disengagement package (golden handshake) for the staff, in addition to his normal disengagement package.

4. If possible, arrange a send-forth outing for the staff.

Of course, the above only applies if the staff was a loyal and diligent staff who is not being disengaged for a serious offence!

ScamHunter:
Someone has been directed to fire an employee who has been with the company for more than 40 years. The order is from top management and this person is wonderful how to do this. Is there any procedure for the summary disengagement of someone in their 60s who seems to have spent all their working life in the company?

164 Likes 10 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by Whiteshield: 2:58am On Oct 19, 2022
ScamHunter:
Someone has been directed to fire an employee who has been with the company for more than 40 years. The order is from top management and this person is wonderful how to do this. Is there any procedure for the summary disengagement of someone in their 60s who seems to have spent all their working life in the company?

Businesses who do this crumble sooner than later. I've seen it happen severally.
Fire this man and the current staff will see it as a lesson that loyalty doesn't pay. They will sabotage the company till it collapses.
Instead of firing him, retire him with full benefits. That's what sensible people will do.

If you like, fire him so he can get a good lawyer and sue the association of idiots running that company.

273 Likes 19 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by phemmyfour: 5:09am On Oct 19, 2022
ScamHunter:
Someone has been directed to fire an employee who has been with the company for more than 40 years. The order is from top management and this person is wondering how to do this. Is there any procedure for the summary disengagement of someone in their 60s who seems to have spent all their working life in the company?
Let him know that the order is from above and that your job will be on the line if you fail to do it

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by entrep88: 7:44am On Oct 19, 2022
ScamHunter:
Stupid Management, if they want to honour staff they can do it themselves but if it is to do dirty work like this they will look for who to do it so that nobody will see them as bad.

73 Likes 9 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by dapotemi: 7:47am On Oct 19, 2022
prof2007:

Nonetheless, those companies and managers that understand the importance of human resources will always endeavour to treat their workers with dignity, courtesy and consideration, even when they have to let them go.

Thus, the manager or supervisor who has been given the assignment to fire this long-serving worker should endeavour to do the following:

1. Convince management to give some time/funds to prepare the staff for the disengagement e.g. by arranging a pre-retirement course for the staff.

2. Ensure that the staff is given a letter of disengagement that highlights the worker's positive contributions during his years of service, and that expresses appreciation for same.

3. Convince management to provide a disengagement package (golden handshake) for the staff, in addition to his normal disengagement package.

Of course, the above only applies if the staff was a loyal and diligent staff who is not being disengaged for a serious offence!

I totally agree with this submission, and like its stated here, hope he/she is not being disengaged for serious offence.. There is one happening where i am now, man had put in 22 years of loyalty and services. Infact, he's the longest serving staff after the CEO... 2 years ago he tender a resignation letter, he wanted to relocate back to the village and set up a small poultry farm as he's now 60 yrs. He was ask not to go, that his services is still much needed so he stays.. So he jettisoned d idea. 2 years after, he got a letter that the resignation letter he submitted then which was not accepted has now been accepted and he's relieved.. He has not committed any offence. He cried to me. He had no plan. He kept asking what is he going to do now? When he had plan, he was told to wait! I ask him to chin up but within me, i wept! I wept because we are all in this race together. Its the realities of corporate life.

100 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by circular(m): 10:03am On Oct 19, 2022
prof2007:

You have said it all. Even if he committed an offence, he should be given a soft landing

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 19, 2022
Just write a sack letter and put "from above or The Admin" or whoever ordered you to write it as the addresser. You don't have to put your name there.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by FalseProphet1(m): 12:52pm On Oct 19, 2022
Dear sir you are hereby retired for personal reasons.

This I have seen.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by OBUKOMENA: 12:52pm On Oct 19, 2022
You guys should do well for the old man else, na dead body una wan carry..

BTW:

Reno Omokri is just an attention-seeking mofo! He seriously doesn't have anything to offer his party or anyone he supports. Now I know why Goodluck Jonathan lost in 2015. The energy he uses in condemning and attacking other candidates/parties, he should channel same in selling his candidate. Or, is it that his candidates are not sellable? Is it that there is/are no positive thing(s) about his candidate?

Please, someone should teach Reno Omokri what a PR job is all about. Again, now i know why Jonathan lost in 2015

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by MuslimIgbo: 12:52pm On Oct 19, 2022
doggedfighter:
What a time to fire a man in his 60s who has given almost hi all to the company !

Fire not even honourable retirement !

Maybe he committed a SERIOUS crime.

Some crime doesn't deserve pity and forgiveness....

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by twilliamx(m): 12:53pm On Oct 19, 2022
ScamHunter:
Retire him honorably... If someone has given most of his/her life to an establishment, then the establishment should treat him with honor and respect when letting him/her go..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by sofeo(m): 12:54pm On Oct 19, 2022
Alright
Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by Sixfiguresmart(m): 12:55pm On Oct 19, 2022
Very ruthless, these companies. The corporate world is worse than thuggery. You see thugs coming and you hear the gunshot. In the corporate world, silence is the sound of death.

For all of you working in any corporate establishment, build yours no matter how little. Ensure that your family gets hands on it and make it flourish. No one is coming to help you in the corporate world. The manager who knows your history and sacrifices might leave or die someday. Before that happens, make your way.

I still remember my British boss called McAndrew who gave me a huge raise of pay before he left the company. He got fade up as the system was screwing his white cranks. He looked at me as a dog who was giving his all into the pocket of a nonentity with fat belly somewhere. He quit, made me fat and I also left the company a few years later.

Do not slave for any man for more than 10 years. Just leave! The comfort in that company will never let you build your own. You deserve more too. Build your contacts from there and leave.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by seanwilliam(m): 12:55pm On Oct 19, 2022
Wair
Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by Winneygirl(f): 12:56pm On Oct 19, 2022
Let the company give him the option of retirement.
This is more honourable and will achieve the same result. 40 years is a lot and he should be entitled to full benefits.
Throw a sendforth party for him too.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by AllDModsAreMaad: 12:56pm On Oct 19, 2022
I pity that company, this single act will turn the other workers loyalty to the company away and you know what that means.

Better look for a way to advice the board or try and discuss with them on how to follow @prof2007 suggestions.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by Kpofaya: 12:57pm On Oct 19, 2022
You will write a letter and say "I am directed to..."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by oneMalik: 12:57pm On Oct 19, 2022
That's why you need to be a boss

working for people can be silly sometimes

3 Likes

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by Wallade(m): 12:57pm On Oct 19, 2022
ScamHunter:

Why don't you (or the person asked to fire him) discuss the possibility of retirement of the old man with the top management.

It is more honourable to retire him with benefits and gratuity rather than fire him. Or is it that the management don't want to pay his benefits and gratuity?

I suspect that the management want to cheat the old man and make him lose his benefits or full benefit.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by McCoy662(m): 12:58pm On Oct 19, 2022
I know the organization is just trying to boycott the burden if giving the man his full retirement package. If the man wasn't contributing positively to the company, he would have since been fired.
The company should not dare. Karma is a bitch!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by Slynation(m): 12:59pm On Oct 19, 2022
Obviously the man hasn't done anything contrary to the work ethics to warrant his sack reason some people don't wanna appear soil there hands by doing it themselves, someone whom has given his all to the company deserves an accolades and respect from such organisation but it is what it is...

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by Father4all: 12:59pm On Oct 19, 2022
ScamHunter:
why do you want to fire someone who had given your company all their years? You must be a wicked person. #8GRATEFUL#

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by seunny4lif(m): 1:01pm On Oct 19, 2022
Reason they always said no loyalty to a company as long as the company does not belong to you.

No matter how many years you stay with a company, a new boss that decided to fire if he sees your service is no more required.
Simple
Work and leave, don’t sacrifice your life for any company.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by arsenal444(m): 1:01pm On Oct 19, 2022
ScamHunter:
Nor even think am

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by BabaCommander: 1:02pm On Oct 19, 2022
It's only someone with the full facts of what's on the ground that would know the best way and timing to do this.

This really should not be a problem, except the reason to fire him is not productivity related.
I always wonder where these managers that seeks advise online from.

You can load the old tuckey with more responsibilities he can't handle,...just make him know he's not valuable anymore. He will be the one ti go by himself.
Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by arsenal444(m): 1:02pm On Oct 19, 2022
ScamHunter:
He die there
Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by 81HECTORS(m): 1:03pm On Oct 19, 2022
Please what was his offence, did he steal or commit any fraudulent act?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by Paulianfa(m): 1:07pm On Oct 19, 2022
For over 40 yrs of tireless efforts hmmmmm this is heart breaking...
Pls before una sack him, pls pls pls pls compensate him at least to start up again.
This guy needs promotion and motivation no sack...

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by Sixfiguresmart(m): 1:07pm On Oct 19, 2022
STFU
If he were a serial killer with cash, the company wouldn't hold out the placard of principle. The owner of that company might commit worse crimes. My ex-manager would add two zeros on invoices. And, we all knew. A thief would steal .001 and go to jail for it while these bastards bleed the system.
let the old man be. Prepare him for retirement and do not kill that innocent poor man. If he were a bad man, he wouldn't have lasted that long in the company.

Stop supporting killers and give your voice to your kind who are being lynched and suffocated.
MuslimIgbo:

Maybe he committed a SERIOUS crime.

Some crime doesn't deserve pity and forgiveness....

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What's The Best Approach To Fire This Type Of Worker? by Paulianfa(m): 1:08pm On Oct 19, 2022
seunny4lif:
Reason they always said no loyalty to a company as long as the company does not belong to you.

No matter how many years you stay with a company, a new boss that decided to fire if he sees your service is no more required.
Simple
Work and leave, don’t sacrifice your life for any company.

Na them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Finally Landed A Job!!! / Vacancies At Delta State Post Primary Education Board / Can I Correct My Interviewer's Grammatical Errors?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.