Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,590 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. (28121 Views)

Guests Take To Their Heels As Wind Makes A Show At A Burial Ceremony / Nigerian Ladies Reveal The 'Craziest' Things That Happened At Their Weddings / Moment A Groom Rebuked A Photographer For Getting Too Comfortable With His Bride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 10:36am On Oct 19, 2022
What would you do if you found out that, you have just been locked in a dark room with an open coffin that contains a dead body? shocked

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 10:53am On Oct 19, 2022
A while ago, I was going through my hard drive and I came across some pictures that brought back memories. The ones that I found intriguing were the ones I took when I started my photography journey. (We are talking about 2013/2014). Then, I saw some of the pictures I took during my first burial job. My experience shooting that burial almost made me to stop taking burial jobs. But, all the same, let me share my experience or should we say it was an ordeal...

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 11:03am On Oct 19, 2022
DISCLAIMER : READ THIS AT NIGHT FOR MAXIMUM ENJOYMENT! grin wink

The year was 2014 and I have just been hired to cover a christian burial ceremony in Ibadan where I was based. It was my first burial job, so, it was a big deal. I was not in the least nervous because I have attended burials and seen dead bodies before. Little did I know that I was in for an experience. A typical Nigerian christian burial ceremony usually has lined up activities like the wake, the service of songs, lying in state, etc. My experience happened shortly after the wake. The wake is usually conducted around the early evening time of the day. The coffin containing the “papa or mama” will be laid in a decorated room and people will come to pay their respect. This is called the lying in state. The arrangement was the same at this burial. The deceased was a bit popular in the area and this resulted in a large turnout. I was not able to take some essential and important shots because of the crowd, so, I had to patiently wait. It was around some minutes to 7pm when I finally had my chance to take pictures as most of the guests had left by then. I got into the room, left the door opened, turned on my reliable nikon d40x and started taking my own “essential shots” of the decorations, the coffin alone, etc. and then it happened!

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 11:05am On Oct 19, 2022
The electricity went out and the room was immediately engulfed in complete darkness! I froze! The thought of being alone in a darkroom with a coffin containing a dead body did not exactly sit right with me. I immediately began to make my way to the door. I did it cautiously and slowly to avoid colliding with the coffin that was at the centre of the room. But, before I could get to the door, lo and behold, I was treated to another surprise. An individual has quickly jammed the door from the outside and was running down the hall to get the generator up! I got to the door and discovered that, a hole has taken the place of the door handle. What does this mean? It means, the door could only be opened from the ouuuuutsiiiiiiiide!! Haaaaaaaa! shocked

115 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 11:07am On Oct 19, 2022
I banged on the hard wooden door but no one seemed to hear. They were all apparently at the far away backyard doing one thing or the other. I wanted to shout, but, I realized that, if I shout and no one answers again, my fright might be intensified, so I buried the idea. The generator from the next house kicked in and a bulb from there allowed a bit of illumination into the dark room. I turned back slowly from the door just like the horror movie actors and saw what I know shouldn't be there. The coffin! It suddenly looked like the white coffin has moved some inches closer.......CLOSER TO ME! (maybe it was my imagination) I then desperately tried to fix my eyes on the corpse and I could swore that I saw something that looks like a slight and very brief smile on the face of the corpse! shocked grin I blinked twice and it was gone. Jesus!! I closed my eyes and immediately began to recite psalms 24, since it was the only one I knew off hand. cheesy Then, I started shouting and banged the door harder. My imaginations became active and they were firing from all cylinders. “What if he sits up in the coffin” “What if he comes out and starts coming towards me” What if.... I attempted to faint but I didn’t succeed. It immediately felt like there was another invisible being looking at me in the room.

130 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 11:10am On Oct 19, 2022
The generator finally came on and the brightness was restored. Everything was exactly the way it was. All what I thought I saw must have been figments of my imagination. My enemy finally came back to open the door and found me drenched in sweat and fear beside the door. He was surprised and asked how I was locked inside, but, my mouth was too dry to speak. sad He later explained that, they did not want some people to have access to the their father, hence, the abrupt locking of the door. I was so angry and scared to the extent that, I almost rejected my packaged jollof rice. undecided But, you know burial jollof is the “GOAT” and I couldn't let it pass me by. wink I was extremely careful and vigilant till I concluded the burial job. The experience still sends me shivers till this day. The end. cool

Professionals in the house, share your experiences while offering your services at burials. Make it interesting. cool

If this makes front page, KINDLY PATRONIZE MY PHOTOGRAPHY BUSINESS. I shoot fashion and events (weddings/burials/etc). I am based in Ibadan and I am available to travel. My hotline is 08063793158. My IG is @timagex photography. My Twitter is @4togirafa. Thank you.

134 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Nobody: 11:32am On Oct 19, 2022
grin grin grin grin grin. This is funny. I remember when I was still going out with my boss. We went to a burial in bodija. This was my first time seeing a preserved dead body, I didn't want to go close to it so, the other intern went closer and took videos and close-ups of the corpse.

What I wanted to avoid came back to me because I was the to edit the video.

Omoh, I was young then and yeah, I was traumatized seeing a dead body and his skin was turning white, maybe it's the makeup they used for the body. But, that video took me 5 hours to edit because i didn't want to keep on watching that shot. I had a fear of being in the dark for a while that time.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 11:51am On Oct 19, 2022
Olasyke:
grin grin grin grin grin. This is funny. I remember when I was still going out with my boss. We went to a burial in bodija. This was my first time seeing a preserved dead body, I didn't want to go close to it so, the other intern went closer and took videos and close-ups of the corpse.

Omoh, I was young then and yeah, I was traumatized seeing a dead body and his skin was turning white, maybe it's the makeup they used for the body. But, that video took me 5 hours to edit because i didn't want to keep on watching that shot. I had a fear of being in the dark for a while that time.

grin. The first time is always the hardest. Once you get used to it, na normal thing. Are you still at Ibadan?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Nobody: 1:31pm On Oct 19, 2022
Timagex:

grin. The first time is always the hardest. Once you get used to it, na normal thing. Are you still at Ibadan?
Abi, the first time is always the hardest.
Yes, I'm still at Ibadan.

3 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 3:55pm On Oct 19, 2022
Olasyke:

Abi, the first time is always the hardest.
Yes, I'm still at Ibadan.

Make we link up na...drop your WhatsApp digit. What's your IG handle?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 19, 2022
Timagex:

Make we link up na...drop your WhatsApp digit. What's your IG handle?
Loll, I don't do cinematography or editing again. It's been like two years now since I opened premiere pro or after effects or operated a camera sef.
I have something else I'm doing now, even though I miss the thrill of going out, traveling for video jobs and all. I don't have an IG for my works, my boss owns the company so the works are posted on his IG account.
Drop your contact make I message you.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 6:09pm On Oct 19, 2022
Olasyke:

Loll, I don't do cinematography or editing again. It's been like two years now since I opened premiere pro or after effects or operated a camera sef.
I have something else I'm doing now, even though I miss the thrill of going out, traveling for video jobs and all. I don't have an IG for my works, my boss owns the company so the works are posted on his IG account. You know infonerds right? He was my boss. You can check it out on IG.
Drop your contact make I message you.

Zero eight zero 63793158.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Chnbanc: 2:06pm On Oct 23, 2022
Timagex:
The electricity went out and the room was immediately engulfed in complete darkness! I froze! The thought of being alone in a darkroom with a coffin containing a dead body did not exactly sit right with me. I immediately began to make my way to the door. I did it cautiously and slowly to avoid colliding with the coffin that was at the centre of the room. But, before I could get to the door, lo and behold, I was treated to another surprise. An individual has quickly jammed the door from the outside and was running down the hall to get the generator up! I got to the door and discovered that, a hole has taken the place of the door handle. What does this mean? It means, the door could only be opened from the ouuuuutsiiiiiiiide!! Haaaaaaaa! shocked
u no get phone wey get Torchlight?

8 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 2:09pm On Oct 23, 2022
Chnbanc:
u no get phone wey get Torchlight?

My blackberry phone was dead. grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Chnbanc: 2:12pm On Oct 23, 2022
Timagex:

unprofessional

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by ntipro: 8:49pm On Jan 18, 2023
This is very interesting

To be a man is not easy.

Las Las, the we all are potential corpse. Hahahaha.

Na one thing God take pass us.

18 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by flourishing247: 2:08pm On Jan 19, 2023
LMAO. Fear fear photographer.

10 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Lamanii22(f): 2:24pm On Jan 19, 2023
Timagex:
ha! Lobatan!

8 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Lamanii22(f): 2:27pm On Jan 19, 2023
Timagex:
  I banged on the hard wooden door but no one seemed to hear. They were all apparently at the far away backyard doing one thing or the other. I wanted to shout, but, I realized that, if I shout and no one answers again, my fright might be intensified, so I buried the idea. The generator from the next house kicked in and a bulb from there allowed a bit of illumination into the dark room. I turned back slowly from the door just like the horror movie actors and saw what I know shouldn't be there. The coffin! It suddenly looked like the white coffin has moved some inches closer.......CLOSER TO ME! (maybe it was my imagination) I then desperately tried to fix my eyes on the ;Dcorpse and I could swore that I saw something that looks like a slight and very brief smile on the face of the corpse! shocked grin I blinked twice and it was gone. Jesus!! I closed my eyes and immediately began to recite psalms 24, since it was the only one I knew off hand. cheesy Then, I started shouting and banged the door harder. My imaginations became active and they were firing from all cylinders. “What if he sits up in the coffin” “What if he comes out and starts coming towards me” What if.... I attempted to faint but I didn’t succeed. It immediately felt like there was another invisible being looking at me in the room.
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Lamanii22(f): 2:30pm On Jan 19, 2023
Timagex:
I am still your best plug for event photography related services. The links to my other social media accounts are up there at the beginning of the thread. I remain Timagex. Bye for now. cool

cc lalasticlala cc mynd44 cc Rocktation
nice pictures

1 Like

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Lamanii22(f): 2:32pm On Jan 19, 2023
Olasyke:

why do people take photos of a dead body, it’s bizarre

10 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Lamanii22(f): 2:32pm On Jan 19, 2023
Timagex:

hahaha double trouble

2 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Lamanii22(f): 2:33pm On Jan 19, 2023
grin grin grin
ntipro:
This is very interesting

To be a man is not easy.

Hahahahaha ‘potential corpse’ so funny

3 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Tombrown3(m): 3:42pm On Jan 19, 2023
Timagex:
  The generator finally came on and the brightness was restored. Everything was exactly the way it was. All what I thought I saw must have been figments of my imagination. My enemy finally came back to open the door and found me drenched in sweat and fear beside the door. He was surprised and asked how I was locked inside, but, my mouth was too dry to speak. sad He later explained that, they did not want some people to have access to the their father, hence, the abrupt locking of the door. I was so angry and scared to the extent that, I almost rejected my packaged jollof rice. undecided But, you know burial jollof is the “GOAT” and I couldn't let it pass me by. wink I was extremely careful and vigilant till I concluded the burial job. The experience still sends me shivers till this day. The end. cool

Professionals in the house, share your experiences while offering your services at burials. Make it interesting. cool

Everything you just narrated reminded me of a movie called The Autopsy Of Jane Doe try and see it. Very interesting and extremely scary when watched alone at night with ear piece. grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 4:38pm On Jan 19, 2023
Tombrown3:

Everything you just narrated reminded me of a movie called The Autopsy Of Jane Doe try and see it. Very interesting and extremely scary when watched alone at night with ear piece. grin

autopsy bawo? shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 4:39pm On Jan 19, 2023
Lamanii22:
hahaha double trouble

Terrible battery was one of the problems of blackberry that year. grin

7 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 4:39pm On Jan 19, 2023
Lamanii22:
nice pictures

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. cool cool smiley

3 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 4:43pm On Jan 19, 2023
Lamanii22:
grin grin grin

Something that nearly made me piss on myself...you come dey laugh... grin grin

5 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 10:26pm On Jan 19, 2023
[quote author=ntipro post=120164523]This is very interesting

To be a man is not easy.

To be a man is not easy o! We keep moving forward sha.. cool

3 Likes

Re: What Happened At My First Burial Job As A Photographer. by Timagex(m): 10:26pm On Jan 19, 2023
flourishing247:
LMAO. Fear fear photographer.

Sorry o! You weh no dey fear. grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lawyers Mourn As Their 26-Year-Old Colleague Is Laid To Rest In Imo State.Photos / Show Your Valentine Gifts Here For 2022 / Creepy Collection Of Halloween Costumes And Makeup From Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.