Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,106 members, 7,811,108 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

Joomla Vs Wordpress Vs Drupal - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Joomla Vs Wordpress Vs Drupal (2241 Views)

Wordpress Vs Blogger! Which Is Better? / Joomla Vs Wordpress Vs Drupal / Joomla! Vs "any Other Php Cms Out There" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joomla Vs Wordpress Vs Drupal by tubiz(m): 6:08pm On Aug 19, 2011
A lot of web designers are always confused about the usage of a Content Management System (CMS) for managing a website. A lot of people do say that a CMS isn't needed for a website but come to think of it. CMS powers a lot of website in Nigeria, let me give some example.

JOOMLA POWERED SITES
GTB Website  (gtbank.com) Is powered using JOOMLA as the CMS.
University Of Ilorin Website(www.unilorin.edu.ng) is also powered using JOOMLA as the CMS.

DRUPAL POWERED SITES
MTNNigeria Website (www.mtnonline.com) is powered using Drupal

WORDPRESS POWERED SITES
NotjustOk (www.notjustok.com) is powered using Wordpress.
360nobs.(www.360nobs.com) is powered using Wordpress.
Jaguda(www.jaguda.com) is powered using Wordpress.
BellaNaija(www.bellanaija.com) is powered using Wordpress.

When designing a site for a client, the client may require some backend to carry out some changes to the site, add new content to the site, edit content on the site. That is when a CMS comes into play.

There is no doubt that Joomla, Wordpress and Drupal are the first thing to come to ones mind once a CMS is needed for a site.

Learning to use a CMS(either Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress) is simple the major thing about them is designing a custom templates or themes to  suit the purpose of the site you are using.

I learnt how to design a JOOMLA template two years ago when I was designing a website for a client and he needed to update content on the site himself so I searched for some reviews online about CMS and the one people were recommending was JOOMLA, that was how I decided to join the JOOMLA train.

Wordpress started basically as a blogging tool. But from version 3.0 using Wordpress for any type of site is possible via custom post type, custom field type, custom taxonomy, metaboxes e.t.c. Presently Wordpress can be used to design any type of site you want it depends on you.

Drupal I don't know anything about Drupal when I installed drupal locally on my PC, i didnt like it a bit it was f***ed and i had to remove it immediately. Don't know what came over me them but seriously I didn't like it.

The main reason I decided to write this post is because I just got a project and the client said he needed Wordpress to be used for the CMS. So here am I learning to design a Wordpress Theme from scratch. And the funniest thing is that the site is to launched on the 1st of September 2011.

Wordpress has a vibrant community online this has been of very great help to me and the almighty Wordpress Codex. How I wished I have started Wordpress Theme Design earlier, but it is never too late.

As for me my CMS of choise is Wordpress.
JOOMLA still has a place in my heart though.
Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress Vs Drupal by WebSurfer(m): 9:46pm On Aug 19, 2011
very soon am going to be learning them,,, i just need a pro on them
Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress Vs Drupal by Nobody: 9:59pm On Aug 19, 2011
Joomla is the best why because Joomla has its own Framework which you can use with ease, Wordpress aint bad but mehn the structure and the number of things to put in consideration is kinda stressful,Joomla gives you all the tools you need especially with MVC Components. i can write a simple tutorial on Joomla on my free time
Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress Vs Drupal by Nobody: 6:47pm On Aug 20, 2011
Drupal is a content management framework - it does have a framework aspect to it. Those 3 are best suited for different kinds of jobs.

On a thread i was reading elsewhere, someone referred to drupal as - a web application framework with content management features.
And i completely agree with that.

I think you should check out this debate going on here: http://www.mattfarina.com/2009/02/03/is-drupal-a-web-application-framework-or-just-a-content-management-system
Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress Vs Drupal by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 20, 2011
There is really a big fight going on - whether drupal is a framework or not a framework.
Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress Vs Drupal by Nobody: 7:05pm On Aug 20, 2011
Interesting, and the debate ended with drupal winning as a framework - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_application_framework
Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress Vs Drupal by Afam4eva(m): 7:53pm On Aug 20, 2011
I've only used wordpress but from what I hear each of them have their strengths and weaknesses. I learnt that Drupal is more SEO friendly compared to Joomla and wordpress.
Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress Vs Drupal by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 20, 2011
From my own experience:
- A site that is purely a cms site like a news site - i will use wordpress
- A site that is CMS Majorly, and possibly some other advanced widgets and maybe some custom programming, i will use Joomla
- A site that is NOT CMS or MiNOR CMS like a School Portal / Nairalist / JambOnline - I will use Drupal
The Drupal Framework is very powerful. I have done sites before that are NOT CMS and yet i executed them excellently using
drupal.

(1) (Reply)

Wapka Tutorials, Tips And Trick / Download Ogbonge Blog Blogger Template For Free / I Want To Do Instagram Sponsored Adverts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.