Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,463 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. (489 Views)

Atheism Is Madness / Atheism Is A Religion / Is Theism A Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by Maynman: 8:57am On Oct 26, 2022
The term THEISM was first used by Ralph Cudworth (1617–1688).
Theism (pronounced THEE-ism) means "belief in one or more gods."
It covers a huge range of religious beliefs, notably the Abrahamic monotheisms, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Theism refers to any kind of belief in any god or gods, so it is difficult to make any other generalizations about it.
Two people may both say they believe in God, so they're both theists; but what they mean by "God" could be completely different. This does however raise the interesting question of what all gods have in common-in order to be called gods since this is a matter of belief and not fact, it’s relative to different Theists.

The opposite of Theism is Atheism, or the belief that there are no gods.
An Atheist, is someone who doesn't believe there is one or more supreme, omnipotent, supernatural beings.

It should be noted that one can be religious while still being an atheist. Religion and “spirituality” (two distinct concepts in and of themselves) aren't predicated on belief in a supreme, omnipotent, supernatural being. Buddhism is an example of an atheistic religion; there is no "god" in Buddhism.

To put it very simply, theism=belief in one or more gods, while atheism=lack of belief in gods.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by SeniorMan715(m): 5:02pm On Oct 26, 2022
Which one are you ?
Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by Maynman: 5:13pm On Oct 26, 2022
SeniorMan715:
Which one are you ?

I don’t believe nor worship theos like you, theist.
Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by SeniorMan715(m): 6:12pm On Oct 26, 2022
What's the reason and why don't you believe In God ?
Maynman:

I don’t believe nor worship theos like you, theist.
Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by Maynman: 6:13pm On Oct 26, 2022
God/Deity is a title not a person, which of the gods are you talking about?
Cause I don’t believe in any gods(if you like put capital G, it means same thing)

And which of the gods do you believe in and why?

SeniorMan715:
What's the reason and why don't you believe In God ?
Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by SeniorMan715(m): 6:16pm On Oct 26, 2022
The creator of Heavens and Earth, the supreme Being.
Maynman:
God/Deity is a title not a person, which of the gods are you talking about?
Cause I don’t believe in any gods(if you like put capital G, it means same thing)

And which of the gods do you believe in and why?

Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by Maynman: 6:17pm On Oct 26, 2022
SeniorMan715:
The creator of Heavens and Earth, the supreme Being.

This god?

1 Like

Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by SeniorMan715(m): 6:20pm On Oct 26, 2022
No, but since you don't believe in a God why then are you asking about the God i worship?
Maynman:

This god?
Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by Maynman: 6:21pm On Oct 26, 2022
The same reason why you are asking me why I don’t worship gods including yours?
And besides god is a title not a person, so which of the gods are you asking that I don’t believe in?

SeniorMan715:
No, but since you don't believe in a God why then are you asking about the God i worship?
Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by SeniorMan715(m): 6:26pm On Oct 26, 2022
Wonderful answer, if you have a reason so do i, so stay on your lane let me stay on my own.
Maynman:
The same reason why you are asking me why I don’t worship gods including yours?

Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by Maynman: 6:27pm On Oct 26, 2022
Same reason why you and I don’t worship brahma and besides It was you that came on this thread and started asking me questions why I don’t worship your own Israelite god, not on your lane i will presume cheesy

SeniorMan715:
Wonderful answer, if you have a reason so do i, so stay on your lane let me stay on my own.
Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by SeniorMan715(m): 6:38pm On Oct 26, 2022
Where and when did i asked you to worship my God on this thread ?
Maynman:
Same reason why you and I don’t worship brahma and besides It was you that came on this thread and started asking me questions why I don’t worship your own Israelite god, not on your lane i will presume cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by Maynman: 6:40pm On Oct 26, 2022
Semantics, can you believe in “Gods” and not worship them?
Are you practicing monolatry?

SeniorMan715:
Where and when did i asked you to worship my God on this thread ?
Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by Maynman: 6:40pm On Oct 26, 2022
SeniorMan715:
And where did i ask you about the God you worship?

You can’t answer bwahahahah
Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by SeniorMan715(m): 6:40pm On Oct 26, 2022
shrewd...
Maynman:
Semantics, can you believe in “Gods” and not worship them?
Are you practicing monolatry?

Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by Maynman: 6:41pm On Oct 26, 2022
Crass.
SeniorMan715:
shrewd...
Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by SeniorMan715(m): 6:43pm On Oct 26, 2022
grin
Re: The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. by Maynman: 6:43pm On Oct 26, 2022
Typical theists cheesy
Like zeus worshippers like yahweh worshippers wink

(1) (Reply)

Book Of Thoth: Anger Of The Greatest Enemy Of Yahweh / I Pray God Gives Me The Strength To Abstain, Marry As A Virgin - Actor Chidi Ike / I Am Going To Stay Without Food Throughout The Whole Of Ramadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.