Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

Is Theism A Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Theism A Religion? (726 Views)

The Opposite Of ATHEISM is THEISM. / What's The Essence Of Theism? / Which Is The Default Position? Atheism Or Theism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Theism A Religion? by ScepticalPyrrho: 6:52pm On Oct 15, 2017
Sounds crazy right?

The thread below was meant to discuss the question, "Is atheism a religion?"
http://www.nairaland. com/3731699/atheism-religion

Many religious members of this forum were quick to say that atheism is a religion.

Superhumanist raised a crucial point; and to which I'll like to see your responses which may bring things into better perspective.

Is Theism a religion?

Cc okworigeorge, kingebukasblog, matrix600, Stephenmorris, CeoMYN, ghst
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by folashade96(f): 6:56pm On Oct 15, 2017
good luck op
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by johnydon22(m): 7:24pm On Oct 15, 2017
Let me book this space then write an explanation article on it as a reply or wait open a thread and deal with it once and for all?

1 Like

Re: Is Theism A Religion? by Deicide: 7:49pm On Oct 15, 2017
They just lack knowledge...........For instance, like 2 years ago I didn't know that they were Atheistic religion Eg Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism e.t.c Same way we have the Theistic religion like Christianity Islam, Hinduism, Satanism, Judaism e.t.c But now I know Thanks to the Internet grin

You can be an Atheist and still be religious eg practicing Buddhism and you can be a Theist and not be under any religion The only difference between Deism and Theism is just Intervention.

You can be an atheist and still believe in the Afterlife self that's why I strongly believe in this Muslim Heaven grin Lol just kidding.

1 Like

Re: Is Theism A Religion? by matrix600(m): 9:30pm On Oct 15, 2017
Theism is just a word that defines the belief in a personal interventionist god..

Religion is a word that defines a group of people who share the same umbrella of belief (not necessarily theistic beliefs, but mostly).

So if theism was a religion, all theists would share the same beliefs in the same god/gods.

Same goes for atheism, it's just a word that captures people who are opposed to theism.
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by Humanistme: 10:00pm On Oct 15, 2017
lalasticlala, Seun front page material. Its not every time spirit wife and tagbo vs davido
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by ScepticalPyrrho: 10:39pm On Oct 15, 2017
Some religionists are avoiding this thread. They'll be quick to call atheism a religion, but would cunningly avoid this thread....

I wonder why anyone would say atheism is a religion, but won't say the same for theism - when the "a" in atheism is just a prefix.
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by superhumanist(m): 8:50am On Oct 16, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Some religionists are avoiding this thread. They'll be quick to call atheism a religion, but would cunningly avoid this thread....

I wonder why anyone would say atheism is a religion, but won't say the same for theism - when the "a" in atheism is just a prefix.

Atheism is not a religion. I think religionists have moved away from that myth
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by ghst(m): 9:20am On Oct 16, 2017
whether atheism counts as a religion depends on how you use the term "atheism and how you use the term "religion"
many atheists today use a form of preaching which is religious to me they preach their non-belief in a greater being and afterlife even purposely invading christian forums.there are atheists whose philosophy is based around Dawkins teaching,they refer to themselves as Dawkinites.so to me atheism is religion because it's a body of thinking.the only thinking i can term as non religious is agnosticism.
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by Jesuschrist419: 9:29am On Oct 16, 2017
ghst:
whether atheism counts as a religion depends on how you use the term "atheism and how you use the term "religion"
many atheists today use a form of preaching which is religious to me they preach their non-belief in a greater being and afterlife even purposely invading christian forums.there are atheists whose philosophy is based around Dawkins teaching,they refer to themselves as Dawkinites.so to me atheism is religion because it's a body of thinking.the only thinking i can term as non religious is agnosticism.
cheesy
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by ScepticalPyrrho: 9:32am On Oct 16, 2017
ghst:
You haven't answered the question.

Is theism a religion?

I never knew about Dawkins before I realized we don't know any god(s). And no one has been able to prove me wrong. Every religious person is just thinking in same line they were made to believe.
Not all atheists subscribes to all of Dawkins opinion.

1 Like

Re: Is Theism A Religion? by Jesuschrist419: 9:40am On Oct 16, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Is theism a religion?
cheesy
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by matrix600(m): 6:35pm On Oct 16, 2017
ghst:
does that also makes theism a religion? since theism is also a "body of thinking ' as you put it.
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 16, 2017
ghst:

cheesy many are mad o
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by OtemAtum: 8:11pm On Oct 16, 2017
ghst:
This is false. Preaching your view of life doesn't make it religious.
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by Jesuschrist419: 8:56pm On Oct 16, 2017
OtemAtum:
This is false. Preaching your view of life doesn't make it religious.
I still don't know why people still continue preaching Jesus Christ view of life angry it's very funny that present generation of Jewish people don't believe in Jesus Christ but Nigeria carry Christainity for head like government work
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by Jesuschrist419: 8:58pm On Oct 16, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

cheesy many are mad o
what annoys me the most is that jewish people don't believe in Jesus Christ but Nigerians still worship a dead man angry
Re: Is Theism A Religion? by AtheistSociety: 8:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
ATHEIST SOCIETY OF NIGERIA NATIONAL CONVENTION.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-bYqCGe1i8kI/WcoP6UgYjaI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/Uuo69Hg9bzYDAUukpN63N_8a324xxtlgQCLcBGAs/s320/Convention%2BNov%2B2017.png[/img]

The Atheist Society of Nigeria (ASN) is pleased to announce her first ever national convention slated to hold on the 11th of November, 2017 with the Theme: Road to Reason.

It promises to feature guest speakers from Nigeria, other countries in Africa and Europe, including Leo Igwe, an internationally recognised advocate for humanism in Nigeria and Bill Flavell, the new Vice-President of Atheist Alliance International (AAI).

It also promises to feature interactive sessions, talks on diverse topics related to atheism, science and religion in Nigeria. Also included in the program of events is a short video on evolution, a question and answer session immediately after and a space for “Ask an atheist.”

For details of registration and venue, please go to our website here

(1) (Reply)

See Stunning Photos Of Pastor Chris As He Arrives Benin For Conference / . / Prophet Samuel Akinbodunse Heals 27-year-old Man Who Was Born Blind In Namibia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.