Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,360 members, 7,819,292 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness (21021 Views)

Late Rico Swavey’s Girlfriend Tackles Bbnaija Stars Who Went Clubbing. / Lagos Government To Investigate Hospital Where Rico Swavey Was Rushed To / Rico Swavey Was Planning The Relocate To The US, His Girlfriend Speaks(video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by chisomkachy: 7:07pm On Oct 27, 2022
Sunday Michael, a witness at the accident scene of late ex-Big Brother Naija (BBNaija) housemate, Patrick Fakoya, popularly known as Rico Swavey, on Thursday gave an account of what happened at the scene.

Rico Swavey died on Oct. 13 after being involved in a ghastly motor accident on Oct. 11.

Until his death, he was a singer, lawyer and actor, who was born in 1993.

Michael, a Uber driver, during a news briefing organised by the late Rico Swavey’s family, said while trying to convey the deceased to a hospital after the accident, he never perceived any smell of alcohol on his body.

The witness said that while with a passenger in his car at about 12.00 a.m. along Sangotedo/Ajah Road, in Lagos, he suddenly saw a car run into a concrete road demarcation.

He noted that a huge sound likened to that of a dynamite was heard from the accident direction, which was scary.

Nobody went close to rescue the victim as I beckoned on people around to help but nobody was willing to.

I went close to the scene and discovered that the car was locked, badly damaged and the engine split into two,” he said.

He said he had to break the car’s windscreen to gain access into the car when he discovered that Rico Swavey who was the only victim was already unconscious and bleeding from the nose.

Looking at Rico Swavey, he looked exactly like my brother, I couldn’t leave him. So, I took it upon myself to take him to the hospital, he was not drunk because I did not smell alcohol on his body or mouth.

Doren Hospital was the closest hospital to the accident scene, just five minutes drive, so I took him in my car to the place, it took over 2 hours before he was attended to and after being examined, a doctor said he needed instant surgery, demanding for some deposit before he could be treated.

“I took him to another nearby hospital, Evercare Hospital, where he was attended to after one hour.

“Meanwhile, all this while, nobody called Rico Swavey’s line until after arriving at Evercare when one of his friends called, she later came to join me but at the sight of him, she collapsed.

Evercare also demanded for some deposit but when they discovered that he was a celebrity, they decided to commence treatment on him, I know if Rico Swavey was given prompt medical care, he would have been alive now,” he said.

Late Rico Swavey’s father and mother
The deceased’s cousin, Mayo Dele, noted that the essence of the media briefing was to call the attention of the Lagos State Government and the Nigerian medical system to the truth surrounding late Rico Swavey’s death.

Dele said that the briefing was also to ensure necessary steps were taken by all concerned to guide against the recurrence of a similar case where individuals that need urgent medical care would be denied, due to financial problems, leading to untimely death.

He said human life should be prioritised regardless of what was at stake.

He expressed disappointment as none of the officials from Doren or Evercare Hospitals honoured the invitation for the briefing.

“The Lagos State Ministry of Health, Ministry of Justice and Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives were invited but never showed up.

“Evercare Hospital where late Swavey was eventually treated billed the family the sum of N4.2 million before treatment could commence.

“The family made a deposit of N3.5 million for late Swavey’s treatment and upon his death, the hospital management disclosed that N1.9 million was used and that the balance will be refunded.

“The balance has not been remitted as promised,” Dele said.

He said the money generated from the public, meant to cater for Swavey’s medical bills was still with Paystack, an online payment platform.

According to him, Paystack notified the family of its plan to carry out some verification before the money is released.

He said when the family gains access to the money, it would be used to invest in immortalising late Rico Swavey.

“We the family of late Rico Swavey appreciate everyone who has sympathised with us at this trying time.

“We are planning to establish a formidable foundation in honour of late Swavey, it will be channelled toward solving a particular problem, it will be something of value to keep Swavey’s name alive.

“We had over 400 people donate on that platform, we really appreciate everyone for the kind gesture,” he said.

Leroy Fakoya, late Rico Swavey’s elder brother, advised the state government that in a bid to demarcate lanes on the highway, plastic and reflective materials should be used instead of concrete.

Fakoya, who was sober over the death of his younger brother, said that Rico Swavey died due to the negligence of the medical team at Evercare and Doren Hospitals.

“If Swavey had got treatment early enough, he would probably still be alive now, money should not be prioritised over human life.

“They only started treating him when they discovered he was a celebrity, what if he is an ordinary fellow who is not a public figure, we need to change this narrative,” he said.

Michael Adigun, late Rico Swavey’s personal assistant, called on medical personnel generally to ensure that individuals who need medical attention are attended to promptly.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/10/late-rico-swavey-was-not-drunk-family-witness/

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by God1000(m): 7:11pm On Oct 27, 2022
I don't know why people don't like helping accident victims in Nigeria.

Our hospitals are also in the habit of rejecting dying people that need urgent medical help, they will ask for money before the treatment thereby resulting in avoidable deaths.

I think something is fundamentally wrong with our country, there's no love at all

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by longetivity(m): 7:20pm On Oct 27, 2022
God1000:
Abi o, Instead they will bring out their phones to do useless videos to post on the social media cry

22 Likes

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by God1000(m): 7:21pm On Oct 27, 2022
longetivity:
Abi o, Instead they will bring out their phones to do useless videos to post on the social media cry
too bad bro, there's no love in Nigeria.

People will just stand by and watch you die

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by meobizy(f): 7:23pm On Oct 27, 2022
He’ll tell us when we get there. His tenure on earth elapsed. Let’s worry about life for now.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by ChigbunduE(m): 7:23pm On Oct 27, 2022
God1000:

Our hospitals are also in the habit of rejecting dying people that need urgent medical help, they will ask for money before the treatment thereby resulting in avoidable deaths.

I think something is fundamentally wrong with our country, there's no love at all
blame the police. Somebody was shot dead in my village. The leaders of our village union went to report to police. Then after, my cousin, as the counsellor representing our ward, went to report to the police too. To cut the long story short, my cousin spent 6 months in SCID, just because he came to report the incident.

If you see an accident victim that you are afraid may not survive it, people will rather stay clear than help.
No body wants to make statement that may eventually put him behind bars for months.

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by KingAzubuike(f): 7:24pm On Oct 27, 2022
God1000:

Haha when I rushed my late dad to the hospital, the doctor used a steth to confirm he was dead on arrival. I asked how he arrived at that conclusion, he said he has no pulse lol. We've seen cases where victims with no heartbeat/pulse are brought back to life through defibrillators or CPR. I begged him to at least try something. The way the doctor just dey sluggish like he was clueless made me lose hope instantly. Our health care system in nigeria is in so much decay. An emergency situation is synonymous to a death sentence. In developed countries you go see as doctors , nurses and paramedics go dey rush and run helter-skelter to attend to a victim during emergencies in A&E. For naija here dem go just dey waka and yawn like they forced them to do the job.

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by elvisklinze1: 7:24pm On Oct 27, 2022
The world as it stands
Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by WibusJaga: 7:24pm On Oct 27, 2022

"Rico was drunk" - Hospital
"Rico was not drunk" - Family, Uber Driver
Whose report do we believe now?

Anyway, prevention is always better than cure:
1. If you Drink, Do Not Drive
2. Avoid or Minimise Night Driving
3. Avoid Overspeeding & Cut Down Speed at Night.

18 Likes

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by Angelfrost(m): 7:25pm On Oct 27, 2022
longetivity:

Nigerians have no humanity left in them...

All we ever do is criticize our leaders whereas most of us are far worse!

12 Likes

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by Timoleon(m): 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2022
Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by ednut1(m): 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2022
God1000:

if the person die while being rescued. Will u rescue thr food samaritan?

2 Likes

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 27, 2022
Ok
Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by Manson1(m): 7:28pm On Oct 27, 2022
Quite sad I must say.. See our live thread for our ongoing building construction project of a 3-bedroom bungalow in Oron, Akwa Ibom... Link in my signature

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by Tboymessiah(m): 7:29pm On Oct 27, 2022
NasoLifeBe

Wetin responsible man they find for that kind middle of the night,. If not for Igbo, Shayo and Olosho....

Shey Una go talk sey e drink alcohol before.....

Train ur child in the way of God and he will give u peace and rest of mind

15 Likes

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by God1000(m): 7:32pm On Oct 27, 2022
KingAzubuike:

Haha when I rushed my late dad to the hospital, the doctor used a steth to confirm he was dead on arrival. I asked how he arrived at that conclusion, he said he has no pulse lol. We've seen cases where victims with no heartbeat/pulse are brought back to life through defibrillators or CPR. I begged him to at least try something. The way the doctor just dey sluggish like he was clueless made me lose hope instantly. Our health care system in nigeria is in so much decay. An emergency situation is synonymous to a death sentence.
that's Nigeria for you, we need to change
Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by Timoleon(m): 7:32pm On Oct 27, 2022
Many of you showing empty sympathy online have neighbors whom you overlook every freaking day without rendering any form of assistance or aid but you are here trying to sound politically correct. Let the guy Rest In Peace abeg him don die be say him don die. Our own time Na him still Dey come.

19 Likes

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by Akfrenzy(m): 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2022
grin
Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by buygala(m): 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2022
Alcohol isn't the only stuff that gets people high

Dude could have been on a thousand and one drugs, not necessarily alcohol

Or he was distracted by God knows what..Maybe he was pressing phone or somtin

In the absence of any proof of the vehicle's mechanical issues like brake failure, wheel pull or steering lock, dude was the cause of his own death..and it's quite ok that he died alone from his mistake.

Let the dead rest..And nobody should come tell us any cock-and-bull story angry

9 Likes

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by vickydevoka(m): 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2022
God1000:

You are not suppose to help accident victim buh the government.999 in UK emergency number
Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by smile4kenn(m): 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2022
Ok
Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by God1000(m): 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2022
ChigbunduE:
blame the police. Somebody was shot dead in my village. The leaders of our village union went to report to police. Then after, my cousin, as the counsellor representing our ward, went to report to the police too. To cut the long story short, my cousin spent 6 months in SCID, just because he came to report the incident.

If you see an accident victim that you are afraid may not survive it, people will rather stay clear than help.
No body wants to make statement that may eventually put him behind bars for months.
this is bad, I'm so sorry about that.

1 Like

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by SavageResponse(m): 7:33pm On Oct 27, 2022
The family is lying, that guy must have been intoxicated or very high on drugs for him to have been driving at such a high speed in the night!

1 Like

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by ImoleNaija: 7:34pm On Oct 27, 2022
Nobody went close to rescue the victim as I beckoned on people around to help but nobody was willing to.

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by God1000(m): 7:35pm On Oct 27, 2022
vickydevoka:

You are not suppose to help accident victim buh the government.999 in UK emergency number
we don't have such emergency services in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Late Rico Swavey Was Not Drunk – Family, Witness by MT: 7:36pm On Oct 27, 2022
Whose report would you believe? A medical practitioner clearly stated that he was smelling of alcohol. Days later, an eye witness appeared with his family to say he didn't perceive any alcohol. It's sounding as a case of laundering his last moment on earth by the family, which was needless because the world has moved on from the case.

To the living, when you drink, pleaaaaaasssseeeeee, do NOT drive!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet Aisha Tisha Mohammed, Nollywood Screen Sensation,from Modeling To Movie Set / Nigerian Celebrities React To Slave Trade In Libya / Onyeka Odiegwu & Chima Anyaso's Wedding: Genevieve And Tuface Present

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.