Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,416 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? (6262 Views)

Best Dancers! (friendly Rivalry) / Eastern Chicks (mostly Ibo) Top The List Of Gay Women (lesbians) In 9ja: / What Are You? Yoruba, Ibo or Hausa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by bingbagbo(m): 3:28pm On Aug 20, 2011
What is the reason?
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by Rgp92: 6:38pm On Aug 21, 2011
They see eachothers as competitors. They dont hate eachother as much as they do in Nairaland
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by harakiri(m): 7:53pm On Aug 21, 2011
That's because human beings are always seeking a scape goat to blame for their insecurities! An igbo man will tell you that yoruba people are extremely dirty but I have seen igbo households that look like refuse dumps. A yoruba man will tell you that Igbo's are wicked and evil and yet, some of the heartless actions I've seen are commited by yorubas. An igbo man will tell you that yorubas are betrayers and not to be trusted and yet, its the same people that frustrated Alex Ekweme from becoming president and preferred Obasanjo (a serving convict) to their fellow man. Yorubas will tell you igbos are greedy businessmen who love to cheat in business and yet, if you go to Owode-Onirin and tell them you want to sell your bmw X6 which you bought for N14million and has bashed headlights, the yoruba buyers will offer you N70,000 as their best offer! What am I trying to say? It all boils down to people blaming others for their short comings and insecurities. This has been a major factor in wars and ethnic clashes e.g the ife and modakeke fracas (yoruba neighbours slaughtering their fellow brothers like rams) and the umuleri and aguleri blood bath (fellow igbo neighbours trying to exterminate each other). It's that simple!

1 Like

Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by aljharem3: 9:57pm On Aug 21, 2011
harakiri:

That's because human beings are always seeking a scape goat to blame for their insecurities! An igbo man will tell you that yoruba people are extremely dirty but I have seen igbo households that look like refuse dumps. A yoruba man will tell you that Igbo's are wicked and evil and yet, some of the heartless actions I've seen are commited by yorubas. An igbo man will tell you that yorubas are betrayers and not to be trusted and yet, its the same people that frustrated Alex Ekweme from becoming president and preferred Obasanjo (a serving convict) to their fellow man. Yorubas will tell you igbos are greedy businessmen who love to cheat in business and yet, if you go to Owode-Onirin and tell them you want to sell your bmw X6 which you bought for N14million and has bashed headlights, the yoruba buyers will offer you N70,000 as their best offer! What am I trying to say? It all boils down to people blaming others for their short comings and insecurities. This has been a major factor in wars and ethnic clashes e.g the ife and modakeke fracas (yoruba neighbours slaughtering their fellow brothers like rams) and the umuleri and aguleri blood bath (fellow igbo neighbours trying to exterminate each other). It's that simple!

you have said it all, plain and simple.
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by AndreUweh(m): 12:22am On Aug 22, 2011
harakiri:

You got it wrong on Ekwueme. Ndigbo voted for him in all the PDP conventions which he lost to Obasanjo. Ndigbo did not disappoint him but other geo-political zones failed him. It's high time falsehood stops spreading around.
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:32am On Aug 22, 2011
There's nothing wrong with rivalry, so long as it is healthy, but the thing is that we cannot have anything called healthy rivalry in the arbitrary construct we call "Nigeria".
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by Nobody: 1:11am On Aug 23, 2011
nothing wrong just that pple take it that seriously which leads to talking too much! can you imagine somebody mentioning about Genocide! to a tribe angry
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by dogice(m): 1:18am On Aug 23, 2011
ChinenyeN:

There's nothing wrong with rivalry, so long as it is healthy, but the thing is that we cannot have anything called healthy rivalry in the arbitrary construct we call "Nigeria".
exactly
i think its not only in nigerian though, same goes with the english and scottish,the english speaking canadian and the french speaking canadian etc
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by lagcity(m): 1:21am On Aug 23, 2011
i never even heard of this rivalry thing b4 i got to nairaland. Yorubas and Igbos almost never confront each other as a group in Nigeria. Na only 4 nairaland we dey attack each other but it is just pettiness i think, nothing serious. even i have engaged in these NL tribal battles but it is not out of any deep hatred for Igbos. it is all just a game of wits to me.

1 Like

Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by AmeboAjela(f): 1:29am On Aug 23, 2011
harakiri:

Well said! So how do we move forward? cos this must not continue forever
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by deekay29(m): 1:30am On Aug 23, 2011
It is a healthy rivalry, except for some folks who like to take it to the next level. Na Yoruba and Ibo go school pass for Naija, so oversabi dey worry us. Have you ever heard of Yorubas and Ibos in any kind of Physical tribal conflict; na so so noise we they make for ourselves.
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by seedord247(m): 1:45am On Aug 23, 2011
deekay29:

It is a healthy rivalry, except for some folks who like to take it to the next level. Na Yoruba and Ibo go school pass for Naija, so oversabi dey worry us. Have you ever heard of Yorubas and Ibos in any kind of Physical tribal conflict; na so so noise we they make for ourselves.

who tell you say na Igbo school passs?. . . wettn dem know

according to statistic, almost 60-70 of young igbo drop out of school to join their brother and sister for trade.
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by deekay29(m): 1:48am On Aug 23, 2011
@ Seedord, you neva tire, u still want more yarns abi, no let me descend on you with wetin ibo sabi. you mofo of a thing
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by Nobody: 1:54am On Aug 23, 2011
seedord247:

who tell you say na Igbo school passs?. . . wettn dem know

according to statistic, almost 60-70 of young igbo drop out of school to join their brother and sister for trade.
why dont you provide the statistic, i would like to see it! you can start another thread not here atleast respect the o.p, remember to provide statistics of who go school pass,
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by seedord247(m): 2:09am On Aug 23, 2011
deekay29:

@ Seedord, you neva tire, u still want more yarns abi, no let me descend on you with wetin ibo sabi. you mofo of a thing

Please can you just answer the question below?

who start the imporation of fake drugs into the country?

who start the importation of Okrika Cloth to naija?

who start Blood money for naija?. . . . I hope you remember Rev. King, Okija Shrine, Eze Ego, Cliiford Orji.

i still got more if you like
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by kizito96(m): 2:37am On Aug 23, 2011
No no body should stir disaffection where there is non
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by manny4life(m): 2:53am On Aug 23, 2011
seedord247:

Please can you just answer the question below?

who start the imporation of fake drugs into the country?

who start the importation of Okrika Cloth to naija?

who start Blood money for naija?. . . . I hope you remember Rev. King, Okija Shrine, Eze Ego, Cliiford Orji.

i still got more if you like

Please don't derail thread,
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by Nobody: 2:59am On Aug 23, 2011
^^dont you know who tha guy is, bluetooth
he has already derail the thread,
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by jason123: 3:03am On Aug 23, 2011
Don't mind the two. once these two ethnic groups start working together as ONE, you'll see Nigeria sky rocket! They are two of the greatest ethnic groups in west Africa but tribalism too much!
The interesting thing is that they do not practice this tribalism outside ,
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by naijaking1: 3:19am On Aug 23, 2011
Igbos and Yorubas most likely have the same origin somewhere in the past.
They're brothers, and as such rivalry, competition, fights become simple parts of their natural existence. The ingenuity of any progressive change will be finding a way to transform this comptetively energy into an awesome progressive machinery just like French and the British found their voice in the face of the vicious Nazi.
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by Koboland(f): 4:20am On Aug 23, 2011
over love dey worry igbo people jor! anyi enwero nsogbu
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by odumchi: 4:46am On Aug 23, 2011
Its amazing how the Moderator couldn't take time to wrote "Igbo" instead of "Ibo" when posting it on the front page. Yet we still say Nairaland's elite are free of Tribalism
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by seedord247(m): 5:33am On Aug 23, 2011
Guy nobody is derailing am only saying the fact. The Yoruba's are the so call real original Nigeria

If you look to the North. . . .  You will find Boko Haram and Co.

If you look the the south and east  . . . .  You will find Kidnappers and Mends.

I'm yet to hear any negative things from the west but For the past ten years now you people have been giving nigeria different kind of bad names all over the world.

Well sha Igbo means Weed, not even ordinary weed means weed that they smoke.
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by mbatuku1: 6:03am On Aug 23, 2011
Yorubas has refused to submit to their seniors, Igbos. That's why there's a problem.
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by NoQualms1(f): 6:05am On Aug 23, 2011
odumchi:

Its amazing how the Moderator couldn't take time to wrote "Igbo" instead of "Ibo" when posting it on the front page. Yet we still say Nairaland's elite are free of Tribalism

Na wa o. 'Aiti ko'fa nle, ifa ti n se.'
What difference is there between ibo and igbo?
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by odumchi: 6:23am On Aug 23, 2011
The same difference between a human being like yourself and a goat.
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by seedord247(m): 6:30am On Aug 23, 2011
odumchi:

The same difference between a human being like yourself and a goat.

Isiewu calling someone a goat.

mbatuku1:

Yorubas has refused to submit to their seniors, Igbos. That's why there's a problem.

now i know that Yaba left has access to Nairaland
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by odumchi: 6:56am On Aug 23, 2011
seedord247:

Isiewu calling someone a goat.

now i know that Yaba left has access to Nairaland

You don't see? You no sabi read wetin I wrote?
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by Yeske2(m): 7:25am On Aug 23, 2011
I think healthy rivalry is cool just that NLanders love exagerating it even though in reality, the two groups get along so well and are the most sucessful in Nigeria and both groups know it. 99.99% of the bitter rivalry is only here on NL
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by yeye4live(m): 7:28am On Aug 23, 2011
cuse dey re jobless
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by TenKobo1: 7:44am On Aug 23, 2011
Rivalry is normal as long as it is healthy but foolish and insultive comments are not parts of it.
Re: Why So Much Ibo N Yoruba Rivalry In 9ja? by jspac(m): 7:48am On Aug 23, 2011
.just-passin-by. To all members of the ANT Gaa kwuo udo.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Traditional Marriage Issues? / Please Translate This Song : Infinity - Olori Oko / What Is The True Meaning Of The Word "Benin/bini"???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.