Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series (15704 Views)

Movie Review: Áfáméfúná - An Nwa-boi Story. / Nigeria’s First Legal Drama Series, Castle & Castle Debuts On Ebonylife / HUSTLE - Nigeria Comedy Drama Series Now Showing On Comedytube Youtube Channel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by Mthumbie: 4:29pm On Oct 31, 2022
Series Title: Becoming Abi

Running Time: Average 40 minutes per episode ( Six episodes)

Directors: Terrel Ejem and Bolu Essien

Cast: Bolu Essien, Idowu Philips, Juliana Olayode, Seun Ajayi, Biodun Stephen, Stan Nze, Ifeanyi Kalu, Opeyemi Akintunde, Olu Salami, April Oshidipe, Oluwabukola Mato, Samuel Owojori and Ife Amao
Created and Written by : Bolu Essien

Date of Release: 28th October 2022

Over the weekend I stumbled on this very interesting series on Netflix with the title: Becoming Abi. Becoming Abi is a six episodes drama series that tells the story of a driven young creative in Lagos who lands her dream job at a leading advertising agency and navigates her away through the corporate ladder in hopes of making it big, she must learn to co exist with her bosses, make friends and maybe find love.

The plot is centred around Bolu Essien who plays Abiodun Adeoba known as Abi. The writer did a good job of showing us Abi's rise through the world of advertising. She got her first role as client service personnel at a leading advertising fame in Lagos, Creative Lens Group where she met Joyce her colleague and office bestie. She must navigate a new environment she has find herself while she make friends and she also get to learn that her Bimbo is over demanding.

As the story progresses, we could see her take up new challenges and scale through different obstacles. Abi was able to nail a huge presentation on behalf of her boss which later won her team a new client account. Meanwhile her works were credited to her colleague Shay under a new boss Shade, which led to her seeking a new job in another advertising agency.

There's an unexpected twist for Abi as she is asked to cover for Shade who was travelling to South Africa for 5 months to manage one of their branches, making her the team lead alongside Joyce. During this period she encounter the biggest challenges of her career.

Abi later gave a chance to her potential relationship with Israel her colleague who later left the firm for a bigger opportunity. Abi relationship life got really complicated when she discovered that Daniel, a member staff of a client she had to work closely with on a campaign has feelings for her.

She later got to introduce Israel to big mummy as they take their love life to a different level. Abi got another promotion to head the agency, but she has to take charge of the clients, show her leadership skills and resolve the conflict between her bestie Joyce and other employees.

One have to appreciate the acting performance of the entire crew and how they're able to perfectly portrayed the advertising environment. The chemistry between Abi and Joyce was astounding and their scenes together are always one to look out for in the series.

The production crew did a good job of capturing stunning settings that represents the advertising world. Through the storytelling the producers was a beam light into the relatable workplace experiences.

Themes like friendship, leadership, creativity , relationship and quest for ambition were recurring in the series. It's a must watch for everyone looking for a conversational comedy drama series.

5 Likes

Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by AREWAELENU: 4:40pm On Oct 31, 2022
Getting stuck with Nollywood recently, this should be interesting.

The story line sounds interesting, would love to see how she sorted out this office dating kind of lifestyle.

E get why

3 Likes

Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by hoilakes(m): 4:44pm On Oct 31, 2022
Thanks for the recommendation. Added to my list of "TO WATCH SERIES" this week!
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by iseoluwanimi: 9:11pm On Oct 31, 2022
oh its the movie my colleagues at work were talking about, i cant wait to check it out upon the hype!
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by SimiVikky: 9:12pm On Oct 31, 2022
The names of the cast are already calling me to watch... I can spot some interesting characters there
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by Franktom247(m): 9:15pm On Oct 31, 2022
Nigerian movies has been grabbing my attention recently

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by Simileoluwa4eva: 9:16pm On Oct 31, 2022
I love the trill of a love triangle, I think I might actually see this series.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by 0xAaron: 9:18pm On Oct 31, 2022
The plot makes the movie sound interesting
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by KingUka: 9:22pm On Oct 31, 2022
This should be good I'll note it down to watch later
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by AyodejiFelix(m): 11:15pm On Oct 31, 2022
Thank you for this wonderful update. I must not miss any of the episodes
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by EinsteinAyo(m): 11:16pm On Oct 31, 2022
This is indeed a must watch movie. Kudos to the Cast and the producer
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by OladapoF(m): 11:19pm On Oct 31, 2022
Kudos to the writer, Bolu Essien . At the end of the episodes, I'm sure people will learn one or two things.
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by Nuelng: 11:21pm On Oct 31, 2022
See me dancing because I wan go watch Netflix and chill... Na babe remain to watch with bayii, lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by liljayjer: 11:24pm On Oct 31, 2022
Make I go find episode 1 then come back here to do review... I'm sure it'd be worth it sha
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by Jayjerjay: 11:25pm On Oct 31, 2022
The title sounds like a movie related to growth.. Something I'd love to watch and learn from really
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by Iceman296: 4:44pm On Nov 02, 2022
Lovely series, i guess people who have worked in certain corporate organizations and marketing agencies can relate more.

1 Like

Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by kingamaa(m): 4:51pm On Nov 02, 2022
Looks interesting

I hope it really is
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:51pm On Nov 02, 2022
Becoming Abi
Nice and interesting series.
Nigerians going places.

The writer did a good job of showing us Abi's rise through the world of advertising et al...

ANIKULAPO is another very good movie one we are enjoying on NETFLIX now.

Nigeria to the world.
God bless Nigeria.

Ololademrmoney2:
I no be TV person but I may try and watch this.
Don't miss the above too.
If you've got Netflix.
It's worth every second! tongue

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by Ololademrmoney2(m): 4:52pm On Nov 02, 2022
I no be TV person but I may try and watch this.
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by harmargedon: 4:54pm On Nov 02, 2022
grin
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by Ololademrmoney2(m): 4:55pm On Nov 02, 2022
Thanks for the recommendation, I will try and watch.
post=118071755:
Becoming Abi
Nice and interesting series.
Nigerians going places.

The writer did a good job of showing us Abi's rise through the world of advertising et al...

ANIKULAPO is another very good movie one we are enjoying on NETFLIX now.

Nigeria to the world.
God bless Nigeria.

Don't miss the above too.
If you've got Netflix.
It's worth every second! tongue

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:56pm On Nov 02, 2022
Ololademrmoney2:
Thanks for the recommendation, I will try and watch.
You are always welcome.
It's a very very very good one.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by LagosIsForIgbos: 4:57pm On Nov 02, 2022
Would have loved to watch, but I hate Nollywood.
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by mainetrix1: 5:01pm On Nov 02, 2022
Movies are a slice of life.
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by Divay22(f): 5:02pm On Nov 02, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by shielaAhmed: 5:06pm On Nov 02, 2022
A Monetised YouTube channel with 6k subscribers is on sale

Selling prize
300,000k naira, (slightly negotiable)
Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by INDOMIE9090(f): 5:15pm On Nov 02, 2022
LagosIsForIgbos:
Would have loved to watch, but I hate Nollywood.
try watch nollywood movies on Netflix and I bet you would distance your from Hollywood instantly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Movie Review: Becoming Abi ; A Workplace Drama Series by LagosIsForIgbos: 5:18pm On Nov 02, 2022
INDOMIE9090:
try watch nollywood movies on Netflix and I bet you would distance your from Hollywood instantly

Baba mi, I don try. Nothing!

I know Nollywood will reach Hollywood's standard soon, especially in action, sci-fi and adventure movies.

These are my fav genres.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NBC / AIT Faceoff Resolved / First Photos From 2018 AMVCA / DOWNLOAD: Empire Season 2 Episode 3 – Fires Of Heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.