Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,816 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch (34990 Views)

40 People From Zamfara Hidden Amid Cows Arrested In Lagos (Photos) / My Street Amid Last Day Of COVID-19 Lockdown In Abuja (Photos) / Trump To Temporarily Suspend Immigration Into US Amid Coronavirus Pandemic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by ednut1(m): 3:20pm On Nov 02, 2022
OTTAWA, Nov 1 (Reuters) - Canada plans to welcome a record 500,000 new permanent residents in 2025 and has boosted its targets over the next two years as the country looks to ramp up arrivals to address an acute labour shortage, Immigration Minister Sean Fraser said on Tuesday.

Canada now expects to welcome 465,000 new permanent residents in 2023, up 4% from a previous target, and 485,000 in 2024, up 7.5%.

"This year's immigration levels plan will help businesses find the workers they need," said Fraser in a statement.

He added the new targets would also allow Canada to fulfil commitments to help those fleeing violence and war in their home countries. Canada is projected to reduce the number of government-assisted refugees it resettles by about a third, from 23,550 in 2023 to 15,250 in 2025.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has sharply ramped up immigration since taking power in 2015. The country is on track to surpass its target of roughly 431,000 newcomers this
Canada is struggling with an acute shortage of workers, particularly in skilled trades and industries like healthcare. The most recent job vacancy data showed there were 958,500 open roles in Canada in August and 1.0 million unemployed people.

Many of the unemployed do not have the skills, or do not live in the right areas of the country, to fill those open positions.

The new targets will boost the number of economic immigrants by about 13% between 2023 and 2025, with steep increases in relatively small regional programs that help funnel people to provinces and regions outside major urban centres.

A record number of Canadians are now retiring, hastening a mass exodus of Canada's most highly skilled workers and leaving businesses scrambling.

In a statement on Tuesday, the Business Council of Canada called for "bolder targets" in economic immigration.

The United Nations refugee agency said in a statement it welcomed "Canada's leadership on refugee resettlement."

Refugee lawyer Maureen Silcoff said Canada can do more to welcome vulnerable people. She contrasted Canada's policy offering refuge to Ukrainians, who are officially temporary residents under a special program and not subject to a cap, and Afghans who face danger from the Taliban for working with Canada but whose numbers are capped.

"Given what's going on in the world, given Canada's needs and given Canada's commitments, there's more that can be done."

There are many good reasons to increase immigration, said University of Waterloo economist Mikal Skuterud. But with rising interest rates, the tight labour market may slacken and newcomers may face challenges integrating, he said.

"We're at a real kind of inflection point. There is a tremendous amount of uncertainty."

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canada-targets-record-500000-new-immigrants-2025-2022-11-01/

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by gaby(m): 3:21pm On Nov 02, 2022
All of us go soon run leave the country for the demonic thieves make dem do as dem please....

191 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by HeadNigga: 6:37am On Nov 03, 2022
I will wait until the 2023 elections are over. If obi wins I stay, if they rig him out I move

221 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Houseofglam7(f): 6:37am On Nov 03, 2022
undecided
Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by MrFixIt007: 6:37am On Nov 03, 2022
smiley smiley smiley wink wink If person house dey very okay and Accommodating, wetin person dey find go outside? Tufiakwa to Bad Government eeee. They make all of us have this great Joy leaving this country . GOD, Please Heal our Land. cry cry cry cry cry

72 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by chloedogie(m): 6:38am On Nov 03, 2022
Bksense:
Thank God. Opportunity to fulfil my dream of becoming a slave in Canada.

Get to it early. Canada's immigration process is a bit long so the earlier you started, the better for you. May God grant you your wish.

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Jay5mie: 6:38am On Nov 03, 2022
Reduce your fucking immigration policies, dumb ass country angry angry

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by yomi961: 6:38am On Nov 03, 2022
grin labour crunch aka slave workers abi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Crusadee: 6:38am On Nov 03, 2022
Vote tilimbu and $1 will be N10,000 before the end of his tenure

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Akwamkpuruamu: 6:38am On Nov 03, 2022
Can #5m relocate one with family to Canada? Because if Obi no win, this country will be be so messed up

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by veekid(m): 6:38am On Nov 03, 2022
While Abike thinks Nigerians are criminals and Buhari thinks the youths are lazy, proactive governments are opening their doors because they know Nigerians are the most hardworking and most youthful population. Peter Obi will change this narrative and make Nigeria great!

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Afokesco(m): 6:38am On Nov 03, 2022
Canada on ma mind

3 Likes

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by muystoy(m): 6:39am On Nov 03, 2022
Canada here I come,a time is coming when it will remain only these useless thieves parading themselves As politicians in this God forsaken kwantri

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by heykims(m): 6:39am On Nov 03, 2022
....as if the conditions would not be stringent. No average Nigerian will be able to fulfil their criteria.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by madjune(m): 6:39am On Nov 03, 2022
And the.jobs mostly ready for fresh migrants are those in the coldest parts of the country.

Half bread is better than nothing.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Akfrenzy(m): 6:39am On Nov 03, 2022
JAPA on my mind now

But e no go better for Agent that Ran away with my hard earned money

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Afokesco(m): 6:39am On Nov 03, 2022
Akwamkpuruamu:
Can #5m relocate one with family to Canada? Because if Obi no win, this country will be be so messed up
if I get that kind money eh...I for don japa...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by voltron14: 6:39am On Nov 03, 2022
Jay5mie:
Reduce your fucking immigration policies, dumb ass country angry angry

Wetin did one dey talk?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Dialpad: 6:40am On Nov 03, 2022
Time for Nigerians to move .....
Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by voltron14: 6:41am On Nov 03, 2022
Akwamkpuruamu:

Obi wouldn't win.

What's your plan B?

Stay back and enjoy Tinubu's economy I hope.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by 8stargeneral: 6:41am On Nov 03, 2022
Nice...HW can I get Canada visa please

1 Like

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by SmartPolician: 6:41am On Nov 03, 2022
Some Nigerians will get into Canada now and start displaying the devil's incarnate in them. Before long, the Canadian authorities will remove Nigeria from the list of beneficiaries.

You claim that your country is not working. But the moment you get to a place where things work, you still defraud people. I don't understand how Nigerians think.

82 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by patriotic007: 6:41am On Nov 03, 2022
Canada will get their immigrants from Nigeria even in excess if Atiku or tinubu mistakenly win next year election....this I have seen

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Gadafii: 6:42am On Nov 03, 2022
What are the major skills Canada need, I need to learn one before the end of 2023/24

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by veekid(m): 6:43am On Nov 03, 2022
Smart countries are developing every profitable sector of their civilization resulting in Job shortages.While Nigerian Leaders are still obsessed with looting the oil treasury to a fault instead of focusing on the expansive profitability of other sectors to reduce job scarcity.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Guyman01: 6:43am On Nov 03, 2022
For the first time even Russia is easing visa requirements to enable more people migrate to Russia just like Canada

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Robisky001(m): 6:43am On Nov 03, 2022
Their immigration rules are too stringent.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Uyi168: 6:44am On Nov 03, 2022
Bksense:
Thank God. Opportunity to fulfil my dream of becoming a slave in Canada.

grin

1 Like

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by Racoon(m): 6:44am On Nov 03, 2022
Whao! This is an opportunity to a lots of people.
Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by inoki247: 6:45am On Nov 03, 2022
Oya u people should rush it asap....

Buh he still dey baffle me with everything the northerners are going through dey hardly Japa and na dem even get format to seek for asylum pass....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada Plans Record Immigration Targets Amid Labour Crunch by chloedogie(m): 6:45am On Nov 03, 2022
HeadNigga:
I will wait until the 2023 elections are over. If obi wins I stay, if they rig him out I move

Leave Obi out of Nigeria's problem. The day I visited my local givermnet about 12 years ago was when I got to know that this country is messed up. What was going on at the LGA level, state governors don't even know not to talk of a president. Someone that owns a so called chemist shop (pharmacy), who was always permanent in his shop was a department head in the LGA. He didn't even attend a secondary school and he was on the payroll.

A good president can only designate but do you know the intents if those designated? An average Nigerian is just a time bomb looking for the slightest opportunity to explode corruption wise.

Americans are crying for better leadership, British are as well as most western countries although their own matter better pass our own.

45 Likes 9 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Please Help: How Can I Track My Uk Visa Application - Applicant Status / My Travails, My Exodus and Life in the U.S / My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.