Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,479 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:17 AM

Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? (5422 Views)

Austerity Measures: Savings Account Bank Customers Now Pay Tax / Are Nigerian Expatriates Required To Pay Tax ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by awuf2008: 10:00am On Aug 22, 2011
As we all know unemployed person, is a person that has no source of income. which invariably means that is income is 0 - nothing. So should a person like that be forced to pay tax as been done in some state, especially Lagos state. what is you view on this?.
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by adezjamz(m): 7:10am On Aug 23, 2011
To my own view, no tax should be paid by such a person. Even if he pay any, he should be asked where he stole it from

1 Like

Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by odumchi: 7:10am On Aug 23, 2011
How can he pay what he doesn't have?
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by Abayomin70(m): 7:18am On Aug 23, 2011
y wil i pay tax wen i dont av a fuckin income
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by Russialane(m): 7:19am On Aug 23, 2011
were will the person get the money from without a job rubbish
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by Pharoh: 7:20am On Aug 23, 2011
You will not pay income tax but surely other forms of tax will be applicable to you.
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by yeye4live(m): 7:31am On Aug 23, 2011
why sud such pay tax,i tire 4 ur assumption ooh
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by saintalexo(m): 7:32am On Aug 23, 2011
Government should be paying them stipend for failing to make jobs available for them not the other way round. cry cry
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by nigerhead(m): 7:39am On Aug 23, 2011
@OP or whoever knows; Could you explain what kind of tax unemployed people are being made to pay in Lagos state? It definitely cant be income Tax, so what taxes are you referring to? thank you.
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by Pukkah: 7:43am On Aug 23, 2011
He's not earning employment income so there's nothing to tax. However, others sources of income (e.g. rent from properties, dividends from shares) will be taxed.

By the way, in which states are they being forced to pay tax?
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by marcus1234: 7:43am On Aug 23, 2011
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 23, 2011
Answer is no
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by Chizua(m): 8:40am On Aug 23, 2011
[size=8pt]Please who told you that Lagos State is taxing the unemployed?[/size]  We need to verify the authenticity of the information and sources.
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by beknown(m): 8:49am On Aug 23, 2011
@Poster,

The answer is NO.

However, you need to supply more details about the specific circumstance you are talking about.

As you know, Lagos state or Nigeria has no way of knowing who is employed or unemployed because no record is kept for everyone. Obviously, nobody declares their income tax in Nigeria except employees of reputable organisations and government.

Many people work privately but do not pay tax - e.g. construction labourers, factory workers, market workers, gatemen, etc.

Taxation in Nigeria is unfair because some people pay income tax and a greater number of people do not pay. How do we assess who is really unemployed?
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by hothead(m): 8:52am On Aug 23, 2011
the government shld pay the unemployed and the elderly just as it is done in this city.  http://adeakure-sida.myminicity.com
or  http://adeakure-sida.myminicity.com/ind this simple act/policy goes a long in way in reducing crime in the city and also other  negative actives which seal the serenity of a city.
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by dumodust(m): 8:55am On Aug 23, 2011
What a stupid question grin forgive my being frank
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by blank(f): 9:07am On Aug 23, 2011
According to Nigerian Tax laws, the person has to pay minimum tax. It is a flat rate.
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by talktrue1(m): 9:10am On Aug 23, 2011
NOBODY should even be paying tax in Nigeria because we generate more than enough money from crude oil that will take care of our 5th generations but our leaders are just squandering them. Not to talk of money generated from BPE, Customs and looted funds
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 23, 2011
awuf2008:

As we all know unemployed person, is a person that has no source of  income. which invariably means that is income is 0 - nothing. So should a person like that be forced to pay tax as been done in some state, especially Lagos state. what is you view on this?.

Lagos taxing UNEMPLOYED people ? shocked shocked can you tell us the type of tax they ask you to pay with evidence,please ? !
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by sirp2007: 9:15am On Aug 23, 2011
how will the unemployed tax be computed
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by effizy123(m): 9:21am On Aug 23, 2011
How would you pay what you do not have? Tax is supposed to be paid on earned income. In fact, in a functional society, the State should be paying such people some allowance to keep body and soul together.
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by tushutt(m): 9:36am On Aug 23, 2011
dumodust:

What a silly question grin forgive my being frank

who are you to classify a question as silly typical nigeria i know it all mtchew
the op asks a question you either answer it or leave it
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by born2boink(m): 9:47am On Aug 23, 2011
if they can legalize robbery, an employ person could pay tax
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by WebSurfer(m): 9:51am On Aug 23, 2011
wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by Afam4eva(m): 9:55am On Aug 23, 2011
Is the person paying tax for being a human being?
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by rabzy: 9:58am On Aug 23, 2011
Its very difficult to ascertain who really is unemployed in Nigeria, because of the very large people who work privately and at home.

I bought a car for my dad who is in his mid-sixties and has stopped working, the papers were in his name. He was apprehended by Kai officials in and was taken to their PWD branch. After we have resolved the issue with KAI, the Lagos state official there said before we take the car away we have to show evidence of having paid tax for three years which my dad does not have. Alternately she just taxed him a total of about 18k for three years which is the minimum he can pay.

All my explanations fell on deaf ears, i showed her my own tax card and all, but she said its not my name that is on the vehicle. She told us to go to a tax office and do an evaluation for my dad so that they can determine how much he would be paying or whether he would be exempted. We have not bothered to do that yet.

We sold the car and bought another one for him in my name.
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by emmatok(m): 10:06am On Aug 23, 2011
Well, weather you are employed or not.

You are required to pay VAT on some goods and services.
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 23, 2011
[size=20pt]@op Hell to the NO.[/size]
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by ngbube(f): 10:41am On Aug 23, 2011
i don't know much about tax, but i know it's deducted from my salary. anywayz i don't think u shld pay any form of tax if u are not doing anything.
even if u are employed, i still think ur salary must reach a certain percent b4 u can pay tax.
i will hate to think that house keeper's, gate-men, garderners,highway cleaners,mamaput, pay tax too.
Re: Should Unemployed Person Pay Tax? by Kx: 10:56am On Aug 23, 2011
The word tax is ambiguous in dis context.
Explain further because:
emmatok:

Well, weather you are employed or not.

You will are required to pay VAT on some goods and services.
Moreover, toll tax cares not whether u are employed or not so long as u use the road that is being tolled.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Country Should Be classified with BRIC? Nigeria Or South Africa? / Islamic Banking Necessitated By Effect Of Global Meltdown – Sanusi / Farming My Business From Now On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.