Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

How To Disable Microsoft Internet Explorer - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Disable Microsoft Internet Explorer (1771 Views)

Attn: Home & Office Training in Computer, Microsoft, Internet/Email in Benin / Internet Explorer And Yahoo Mail: 'Error On Page' / How Do I Disable Or Bypass My ISP Firewall? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Disable Microsoft Internet Explorer by gbolex(m): 9:28pm On Aug 22, 2007
Please, how can i disable my Microsoft Internet Explorer? I don't want my staffs to be browsing the internet. They are misusing the internet for personal things and besides am so scared about scam mails. I tried removing it from the add and remove add/Remove Windows Components but its not removing. Is there any other way I can remove or disable it.
NB
Workstations are windows XP (workgroup)
Re: How To Disable Microsoft Internet Explorer by lilvonz(m): 12:09am On Aug 23, 2007
that's so simple to do.
Re: How To Disable Microsoft Internet Explorer by Maleeq(m): 4:41am On Aug 23, 2007
@lilvonz

So easy to do that and you did not state the solution!!!

@gbolex

You dont have to uninstall IE to stop users from browsing. You could consider setting up a proxy or better still try a domain environment where you can specify the contents as well as the time they are allowed to browse. Alternatively, if the systems are not too much, try configuring them with manual IPs minus the default gateway or simply dont connect to the internet from the system that has the internet access.

Although uninstalling Internet Explorer from Windows is possible, you are advised not to remove IE for a number of reasons:

1. Many web sites are programmed to work only with Internet Explorer. For example, webmasters authoring a site may have not tested with other web browsers. The majority of websites on the Internet should work with Mozilla browsers, but there are some sites that appear distorted or inaccessible unless IE is used as a browser.

2. Windows Update requires Internet Explorer. As an alternative, you may be able to manually download security updates, but it will require more monitoring and work than letting Windows Update handle this for you.

3. Some anti-virus products require IE for updates. Live updates or automatic DAT updates used by both Norton and McAfee are built on Internet Explorer's foundation. You may be able to manually update your virus signature files but it could require more work.

4. Both removing and restoring IE is risky and difficult. IE is complex with extensive hooks built into Windows, for efficiency and functionality. Thus unplugging it from your system may impact Internet connectivity, Windows functionality, and break functionality in Microsoft Office and non-MS products.

5. IE is more than a browser, it is the foundation for Internet functionality in Windows.
Re: How To Disable Microsoft Internet Explorer by gbolex(m): 12:06pm On Aug 23, 2007
@Maleeq
I really appreciate your response. I don’t intend using a domain because we don’t have more than 10 systems in my office and even the cost. I have a router that link all the systems to the internet; they also use a dynamic IP address which I don’t want to change to static due to some reasons. Regarding the issue of updates and stuffs like, I can do away with it. All I want them to do is the normal Microsoft office Suite work i.e typing and they should be able to access the network in other to share resources (Files, Printer etc)
Re: How To Disable Microsoft Internet Explorer by Ralvy(m): 5:58pm On Aug 23, 2007
I can imagine what u are goin through,

Anyway, here's what to do - there's a more simpler method but I am using this because you still want to retain File and Printer sharing.

Open up Notepad
Cut and paste the following into the empty Notepad window:

Code:

@echo off
C:
cd "\Program Files\Internet Explorer"
if not exist IEXPLORE.EXE goto End
if exist IEXPLORE.EX_ del IEXPLORE.EX_
if not exist IEXPLORE.DIR md IEXPLORE.DIR
if not exist IEXPLORE.DIR goto End
attrib -r -h -s IEXPLORE.EXE
ren IEXPLORE.EXE IEXPLORE.EX_
if exist IEXPLORE.EXE goto End
ren IEXPLORE.DIR IEXPLORE.EXE
echo IE disabled.
echo If prompted, click "Cancel" then "Yes" on File Protection restore.
echo Run enable-ie.bat to allow IE to run again.
:End

The above code assumes your Windows XP is installed to your C:\ drive. If it
isn't, change the C: beneath @echo off to the drive letter corresponding to
whichever HDD or drive partition that you have Windows XP installed to

Now save text file this as "disable-ie.bat" to your desktop, or elsewhere.
Double click on the saved "disable-ie.bat" file.

("Windows File Protection" will most likely kick in at this point, with a warning dialog
box, saying some system files have been replaced with unrecognised versions, and
to insert your Windows XP CD to restore them. Don't worry, it's safe to ignore this.)

Now, everytime you try to open IE, all you'll get is an empty IE window. You need not
even reboot your PC for these changes to take effect. The effects are instantaneous.

If at any time, you decide you want to re-enable IE, follow these instructions to create
another batch file that reverses the changes made by the aforementioned batch file:

Code:

@echo off
C:
cd "\Program Files\Internet Explorer"
if not exist IEXPLORE.EX_ goto End
if not exist IEXPLORE.EXE goto Activate
attrib -r -h -s IEXPLORE.EXE
rd IEXPLORE.EXE
if exist IEXPLORE.EXE del IEXPLORE.EXE
:Activate
ren IEXPLORE.EX_ IEXPLORE.EXE
echo IE enabled.
:End

Save this as "enable-ie.bat" and put it in the same place as "disable-ie.bat"

As before, this assumes you have Windows XP installed on your C:\ drive. Again, if your
copy of Windows XP is not on the C:\ drive, make the same changes I explained earlier.

wink

Re: How To Disable Microsoft Internet Explorer by Ralvy(m): 6:01pm On Aug 23, 2007
lilvonz:

that's so simple to do.
lipsrsealed

@lilvonz
So easy to do that and you did not state the solution!!!

wink
Re: How To Disable Microsoft Internet Explorer by Ralvy(m): 6:07pm On Aug 23, 2007
hey, hey hey, Now a Correction!

The method I explain above can disable windows update on some Operating Systems, now
poster; To retain windows Update, do this;

This will allow you to disable Internet Explorer for general browsing, but still have it work for WindowsUpdate.

First open IE, and open the options screen by clicking on 'Tools' at the top of the screen and clicking on 'Options'.,

Click the 'Connections' tab at the top of the new options window that has appeared.

Click the 'LAN Settings' button that is towards the bottom of the options window.

Check the box that says 'Use a proxy server for your LAN'.

In the 'Address' field, enter anything - I put 'fakeproxy'.

Click the 'Advanced' button, then in the 'exceptions' text box enter '*.microsoft.com' and then click OK.

Now IE will only function on pages at Microsoft.com, and WindowsUpdate.

If u xperience prblms,which I doubt u shuld - shoot me a mail = nerve.it@gmail.com
I will be coming up with something similar to this on my blog, watch out wink cheesy
Re: How To Disable Microsoft Internet Explorer by gbolex(m): 6:45pm On Aug 23, 2007
@Ralvy
Thanx so much. Am so much happy with your explanation, it really worked.
Re: How To Disable Microsoft Internet Explorer by Ralvy(m): 6:53pm On Aug 23, 2007
Alright Gbolex, ur welcome,

Anytime wink cheesy

(1) (Reply)

How Good Is This Product (hp 250 G4 Intel Celeron 4gb Ram/500gb Hdd ) / No Sound From Speakers When Playing Vcd Or Dvd On My System. / Why I Cant Access My Yahoomail?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.