Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,823 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? (36345 Views)

Fully Completed Fish Farm And Piggery For Sale / Piggery House Construction Design Details / Make A Living With Piggery Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by sunyade: 12:02pm On Aug 23, 2011
Which is profitable between poultry and piggery farming?

1 Like

Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by nsodo: 1:30pm On Aug 23, 2011
Poultry is more profitable compared to piggery but still it has got more risks and work load before you come to the real benefits. Chicks are to delicate to deal with and if your not careful can lose 80% of them all when you are reluctant with immunization.
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by macroworld: 2:13pm On Aug 23, 2011
I would advise you approach it from a Business analysis stand point.

1. Do a Comparative analysis of both Poulty and Piggery
2. Do a Market analysis for both
3. Do a Risk appraisal for both
4. Do an Options appraisal for both
5. You financial outlay also comes into play. If a risk emerges, would you have the cost to control it, e.g urgent medical attention etc
6. Your Market appraisal, No 2 should be relevant to your intended location of operation.
7. Pick up a decent book or Journal on both and get some further insights into both operations.
8. Visit or make friends with people who are into both businesses and get some real-life insights from them
I hope all goes well !

1 Like

Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by oderemo(m): 2:35pm On Aug 23, 2011
I would advise you approach it from a Business analysis stand point.

. Do a Comparative analysis of both Poulty and Piggery
2. Do a Market analysis for both
3. Do a Risk appraisal for both
4. Do an Options appraisal for both
5. You financial outlay also comes into play. If a risk emerges, would you have the cost to control it, e.g urgent medical attention etc
6. Your Market appraisal, No 2 should be relevant to your intended location of operation.
7. Pick up a decent book or Journal on both and get some further insights into both operations.
8. Visit or make friends with people who are into both businesses and get some real-life insights from them
I hope all goes well !

no 8. is most essential, buss. is not run on profit alone but your passion for the buss. will overcome most odds.
altho passion in itself do not put food on the table but it ginger hope,rekindle your imagination for such buss.
wish u luck.
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by sunyade: 1:58pm On Aug 25, 2011
Thanks all i so much appreciate your comments on the topic.
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by femu(m): 7:50pm On Aug 26, 2011
Piggery is far better if you want steady and progressive profits without hypertension. But if you have a warchest to fritter away consider poultry.
Read this post for more info:
www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=737232.msg8936954#msg8936954.
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by djkayzzy(m): 1:49pm On Sep 03, 2011
I think pig is best, cos am on the business, 08064457240, 08027203519

1 Like

Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by ayodele123(m): 4:49pm On Sep 16, 2011
Both are profitable

A layer chicken will lay an egg in 24-36hours i.e an egg a day or 2 eggs in 3 days and can lay consistently for at least 15 months before diminishing returns set in. Normally, laying continues up to 18 months but at a diminishing rate after 12-15 months.
At the end of the laying period, you will sell the chicken as an old layer for about N700.00 in Lagos around Christmas.
So if you have 500 healthy layers, you will get about 13-14 crates daily from about 22 weeks - 72 weeks.
The challenge in the business is the ability to maintain a disease free and consistently healthy flock throughout the laying period. A lot goes into this goal to make it a reality.

Piggery is also very profitable.
A female pig can produce piglets twice a year and in each pregnancy cycle can deliver 6-12 piglets.
If you have 10 female pigs on your farm and they are healthy,by the end of 12-18 months, you are in money

Whichever you wish to start, the choice is yours.
However, they are risky. Dont just look at the profitability.
Don't jump into any without thorough training and guidance.
Get details from www.johnayodele.
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by zogo(m): 9:02pm On Sep 17, 2011
Give Heliculture (Snail Farming) a trial this rainy season and you'd be surprise you did. We simplified the process of snail farming. go here: www.snailfarmingng..com

1 Like

Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by femu(m): 12:50am On Feb 14, 2012
Piggery is a safe business you can make millions from yearly. A lot of people are quietly reaping huge returns from it.
Learn more about piggery here: http://no1pigfan.
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by yinkavelli(m): 11:22pm On May 14, 2013
ayodele123: Both are profitable

A layer chicken will lay an egg in 24-36hours i.e an egg a day or 2 eggs in 3 days and can lay consistently for at least 15 months before diminishing returns set in. Normally, laying continues up to 18 months but at a diminishing rate after 12-15 months.
At the end of the laying period, you will sell the chicken as an old layer for about N700.00 in Lagos around Christmas.
So if you have 500 healthy layers, you will get about 13-14 crates daily from about 22 weeks - 72 weeks.
The challenge in the business is the ability to maintain a disease free and consistently healthy flock throughout the laying period. A lot goes into this goal to make it a reality.

A female pig can produce piglets twice a year and in each pregnancy cycle can deliver 6-12 piglets.
If you have 10 female pigs on your farm and they are healthy,by the end of 12-18 months, you are in money

Don't jump into any without thorough training and guidance.
Get details from www.johnayodele.

sounds soo good on paper, but not in reality. well i must say ur analysis are all on point and it takes a lot of experience, i would go for the poultry because i have a bit of experience in it. buttttt.....here are the major challenges. 1. price of eggs hardly increase but feed prices soar astronomically. (dont forget transpotation of the feed, and saw dust/wood scrapping 2. their waste..how do u dispose of it? especially on a 500birds scale u do behind ur house with 2plots of land ..in a residential area, a farm u just use for subsistence. 3. market-ting of eggs and old layers...u say 700, people will say 500. 4. disease and pest, like cats, snakes and rats. please reply this. you will be doing me an invaluable assistance. thanks
Yinkavelli
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by knowledge4(m): 6:23pm On Jun 14, 2013
Both are profitable
So if you have 500 healthy layers, you will get about 500 eggs daily from about 22 weeks - 72 weeks.

If you have 10 female pigs on your farm and they are healthy,by the end of 12-18 months, you are in big money

Get details from www.johnayodele.[/quote]
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by zogo(m): 8:20pm On Jun 15, 2013
Try Heliculture (Scientific Snail Farming), u'll be happy u did. Details: www.snailfarmingng..com
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by Skynet247(m): 10:36pm On Jun 15, 2013
sunyade: Which is profitable between poultry and piggery farming?
all are ok, depending on the needs of the locations u r
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by ultrazone(m): 10:53pm On Jul 24, 2014
mmm
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by docchuks(m): 6:43am On Jan 12, 2016
In Nigeria, I would say poultry is more profitable. If you need poultry business plan....
http://www.businessplannigeria.com.ng/poultry-farming-business-plan-nigeria/
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by VeeWang(m): 10:47am On May 31, 2016
Name: Vee.Wang
Field: battery cage, broiler cage, pullet cage, hexagonal mesh manufacture
Address: Anping county, Hebei provice, China.
10 years experience on cage/ mesh production and export.
WhatsApp: +86 15028772103
Email: ivmeshmachine@foxmail.com
Free sample and quick quotation was available. Welcome to found me on WhatsApp or mail me.
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by sunwitfeed: 7:32am On Jun 01, 2020
We cannot say which business is the best. Each business has its own advantages and disadvantages. Profit depends on the size of the farm, availability of raw materials, good water resources, cheap labor, and marketing.

Poultry farming involves raising birds to obtain feathers, meat and eggs, while raising pigs only involves obtaining meat. If you are willing to invest the required time, effort and resources to make the investment worthwhile, then these two businesses are all good choices. Therefore, your investment choice will strictly depend on the available resources, such as land, pasture, water, etc., and asset size is also an important aspect.

The following will guide you in the choice of your business

- Cow take longer time to grow and reproduce than poultry. This means you will have to wait a little longer to sell your cows than poultry.
- What is the demand side of your business? Without a demand for your products, there would be no need to start any of these in the first place except of course you want to raise them for your consumption.
- In Broiler Poultry farming and Layer Poultry Farming, you can get profit from the first month but you have to special care and management. And the disease in the Poultry Business is more as compared to cow farming.

More info at: chicken farming Vs pig farming
Re: Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? by Kharatech: 1:52pm On Jun 02, 2020
hello farmers...You don’t need to look too far to find a very affordable and high quality poultry battery cage(old and new) call or Whatsapp kharatech on 08063016420

(1) (Reply)

Catfish Feed Formulation. / This Is How To Put Goat To Sleep - Unbelievable Nigerian Science! / See How Palm Oil Is Produced Locally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.