Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,306 members, 7,836,333 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) (75855 Views)

Hunter Killed A Warthog, Civet And Other Wild Animals / Wild Animal Caught About To... / We Are Recruiting For Our Goat Ranch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by onuman: 5:48pm On Nov 27, 2022
MideMrPossible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr85NFhuwJk

We are having this kind of attack second time this month and the pattern of the attack is exactly the same.

Due to farm invasion of our livestocks, we only allow them to graze at night and leave them till daybreak while we let them into their cage.

The first victim of this wild attack was Huda ram, he was sick and want missing, after about the third day, we found him with his head ripped off from the neck, likewise the second goat, brought in for mating about 12 days ago, felt sick, recovering, went to graze and the second day we met him this way.

We are currently working on installing perimeter net for the first part of the land we intend to use for livestock, that's about 3 acres, it separates the farm from the remaining land meant for crop plantation.

Which animal do you think is on the prowl?
Kindly suggest how to capture or kill this animal.

My name is Mide Oludipe, I'm a graduate of geography and I'm a regenerative agriculture expert seeking to create a niche in modern agriculture. Please kindly Subscribe to my channel
Thanks.

You refused to say the location. Useless reporter and report. A fox is suspect.
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by ISellBeer: 5:55pm On Nov 27, 2022
Hezzyluv:
I dey think Hyena
Hyena eats you while you are still alive, just like wild dogs
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by dangoteinlaw: 6:13pm On Nov 27, 2022
Since u could identify the goat then it's not a lion
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by fof1: 6:47pm On Nov 27, 2022
MideMrPossible:

Amen. Thanks for your encouraging words, infact, it's not easy, we've lost over 7 animals comprises of sheep, goat and Rams in about 2months, first is farm poisoning and now prey prowling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oHg6IptPlM

Also Factor Ur Competitors into your Problems...since Your Farm aas Poisoned...Some Human Beings Change to Wild Animaks at Night to Cause Havoc and Threaten NEIGHBOR'S BUSINESSES...so look at the Evil Human Factor,Pls.

2 Likes

Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by Mystery9(m): 6:49pm On Nov 27, 2022
Hezzyluv:
I dey think Hyena
It can't be Hyna. .Hynas won't leave remains like that.
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by BRATISLAVA: 6:52pm On Nov 27, 2022
MideMrPossible:

We are having this kind of attack second time this month and the pattern of the attack is exactly the same.

Due to farm invasion of our livestocks, we only allow them to graze at night and leave them till daybreak while we let them into their cage.

The first victim of this wild attack was Huda ram, he was sick and want missing, after about the third day, we found him with his head ripped off from the neck, likewise the second goat, brought in for mating about 12 days ago, felt sick, recovering, went to graze and the second day we met him this way.

We are currently working on installing perimeter net for the first part of the land we intend to use for livestock, that's about 3 acres, it separates the farm from the remaining land meant for crop plantation.

My name is Mide Oludipe, I'm a graduate of geography and I'm a regenerative agriculture expert seeking to create a niche in modern agriculture. Please kindly Subscribe to my channel
Thanks.

The same people who don't want you farming in their suburb.

3 Likes

Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by BRATISLAVA: 6:55pm On Nov 27, 2022
FreshFarmAgro:
You should start worrying about your safety not the goats. Whatever killed the goat in such a cruel manner must be really cruel

I'm writing this to tell you to be careful about your life.

This clearly is the doings of a dangerous animal

Now, let me advice you professionally.

Go and do deep research on why animal rearers always choose to pair a donkey alongside other animals like yours while raising them. This can be the answer to saving you from such losses into the future.

Be careful. Be it an hyena, a fox or a jackal. These animals can be deadly

An hyena doesn't need to kill an animal from the neck, though it's not that it can not. This suggests another dangerous animal

Jackal Diet

Jackals are nocturnal, omnivorous scavengers. With their long legs and curved canine teeth, they are well adapted for hunting

Jackals kill small prey with a bite to the back of the neck.

Range & habitat

All jackal species live in Africa, albeit in different regions.

Diet

Jackals can be both diurnal and nocturnal. This means that they can look for food both day and night. All jackals are omnivorous, meaning that their diet consists of both meat and plants.

Highlight

" When it comes to killing small prey, they usually do so by delivering a bite to the back of the neck and vigorously shaking the animal. "

Possible culprits

Jackal

Fox

Juvenile Leopard

African civet

Aren't jackals as little as foxes? A fox would choose a chicken over a goat.

Whatever killed it only ate the neck. Touch luck finding and killing the animal who kills but will not eat.

Seems like the work of an angry human.

2 Likes

Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by alabo1: 7:02pm On Nov 27, 2022
spinna:
To kill a goat is not a small task.. i would also believe its a younger leopard or a mid sized wild cat like a cerval many do not know that we have the same animals as the southern african areas

A grown leopard i feel would make off with the kill, hyenas would not leave this much behind.. mysterious and a bit scary

you definitely need some livestock guardian dog breeds or start your own set of tough dogs that are attached to the livestock, lives and feeds with them

May God provide for fencing and i pray same for my farm too.. both crop and livestock section.. too many things happen when unfenced

My thoughts too.No animal will spend energy on a kill and leave this much behind. The head is also not the favoured section for most predators
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by Christistruth00: 7:10pm On Nov 27, 2022
immortalcrown:
You didn't mention the location and the time (period) of the incident. Knowing these things will be helpful in tracing the cause of the problem.

The first step in investigating and solving a problem like this is knowing the location and time of occurrence.

Leopard or Amotekun (Cheetah) don’t be Scared

Humans are the last thing they attack

Put CCTV camera there

Also study the animal footprints around the Area

Some dogs can be very wild
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by Stevyne: 7:31pm On Nov 27, 2022
Na wild cat or lemme say civet cat, na cat deh rip off head of it prey like that.
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by Bintdawood(f): 7:55pm On Nov 27, 2022
Wild cat ooi
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by atilla(m): 8:10pm On Nov 27, 2022
falcon01:
I wanted to say Komodo Dragon, but I remember that Komofo Dragon Will swallow everything.

I wanted saybthisbas well.
We had a minitor lizard doing this to chickens in our compiund long time ago.
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by JuanDeDios: 8:11pm On Nov 27, 2022
brandsoncharlie:

What is HABITAT? ..
Habitat = Area of distribution. It's the natural environment where an animal is found. For example, Komodo dragons or alligators are not found Africa - meaning Africa is not their habitat.

1 Like

Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by FreshFarmAgro: 8:14pm On Nov 27, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Aren't jackals as little as foxes? A fox would choose a chicken over a goat.

Whatever killed it only ate the neck. Touch luck finding and killing the animal who kills but will not eat.

Seems like the work of an angry human.

I think we have our answer. This genius just found the right answer

This is the handiwork of an envious human indeed. The only other explanations would be as much as we all would hate to hear it, evil spirits. Evil spirits and goats are 5 and 6

I'll go with your call. Envious humans

2 Likes

Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by naturefellow(m): 8:43pm On Nov 27, 2022
Nukilia:
Plant a motion sensitive camera on that farm and see which type of animal is doing that job
i trust you to sponsor a couple units. Otedola Lite smiley

2 Likes

Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by Spandau: 8:46pm On Nov 27, 2022
MideMrPossible:

Thanks.

Wow! First off, it's not the handiwork of a hyena. Even a single big one will finish the whole goat. Besides, they hunt in packs and your entire livestock would have gone by now.
Definitely not a wolf because they don't exist in Africa. Jackals, foxes? Too greedy for this kind of a methodic consumption. They would have ripped open the belly and created a mess after killing the goat. You would have heard some noises too because the goat would have put up a struggle.

Whatever did this is definitely an obligate carnivore. A cat. Not a leopard, juvenile or mature. You would have recorded killings every now and then. And probably no carcass left save hooves and head. Infact you may never see the carcass because the leopard will have carried it away. Not a cheetah because they seldom hunt alone. You would have seen just the head and hooves.

It's definitely a smaller cat. An "ehana". Most likely a caracal. This cat killed only your sick animals because they are weak and slow. It couldn't drag or carry them so it consumed the goat right there. It ate all the flesh on the neck, shoulders and part of the back. It also ate the lungs, the heart and liver deep into the carcass. That means the goat was bigger than it for it's head to fit into the body from the chest region. It's definitely a wild cat.

6 Likes

Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 27, 2022
just hope it not a tiger cause wild dogs don't leave carcass they move in groups they consume their catch at once.
Op go to the market {local market } you'll see big traps they use for big animals buy it and set it at night to the exact direction it use to come kill those gosts.
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by fhranchez(m): 9:02pm On Nov 27, 2022
MideMrPossible:

Our game plan is to fence the perimeter then deal with the Intruders by feeding them poisons, since we know what they like most
lol, predator are always selective. Better start grooming shepherd dogs to assist in the night grazing
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by brandsoncharlie: 9:04pm On Nov 27, 2022
JuanDeDios:

Habitat = Area of distribution. It's the natural environment where an animal is found. For example, Komodo dragons or alligators are not found Africa - meaning Africa is not their habitat.
I mean, In respect to the discussion.
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by Nukilia: 9:12pm On Nov 27, 2022
naturefellow:
i trust you plan to sponsor a couple units. Otedola Lite smiley

That won't be a bad idea...
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by JuanDeDios: 9:13pm On Nov 27, 2022
brandsoncharlie:

I mean, In respect to the discussion.
Oh, you don't see that in terms of me agreeing with the post I quoted? Notin do you.
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by AlphaStorm: 9:15pm On Nov 27, 2022
MideMrPossible:

Thanks.

Hyena or Leopard !!!!!
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by Maxitomxane(m): 9:20pm On Nov 27, 2022
MideMrPossible:

Thanks.

A werewolf in town!! shocked grin...

Find out from the locals in your Area about the wild Animals that pop up once in a while to feast on their animals.
It could be a fox. The throat doesn't look ripped out completely from the body, rather it looks like the throat was eaten alongside the upper trunck.
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by chivie44: 9:27pm On Nov 27, 2022
Fox or hyena it has happened along uniosun road osogbo before. We later saw hyena live one.
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by brandsoncharlie: 9:54pm On Nov 27, 2022
JuanDeDios:

Oh, you don't see that in terms of me agreeing with the post I quoted? Notin do you.
I know the environment his farm is located is an habitat for those kind of wild animals killing his goats.
But the way you said most Nigerians don't know what's called "Habitat" is surprising, because of course that's the normal norm anyone will see especially in the forest when you don't put in measures to avoid such.
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by Dougyclan: 10:19pm On Nov 27, 2022
MideMrPossible:

Thanks.
Oga stop asking questions and bring firewood abeg, them only help us slaughter the �
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by MrBroke(m): 10:20pm On Nov 27, 2022
Human Being
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by JuanDeDios: 10:28pm On Nov 27, 2022
brandsoncharlie:

I know the environment his farm is located is an habitat for those kind of wild animals killing his goats.
But the way you said most Nigerians don't know what's called "Habitat" is surprising, because of course that's the normal norm anyone will see especially in the forest when you don't put in measures to avoid such.
Not sure I get you. But I was referring to the fact that in animal threads on NL people are bound to mention alligator, anaconda, Komodo dragon and others not found here. This is the simple import of my comment and nothing more.
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by MrColdsweat: 10:46pm On Nov 27, 2022
FuckDModz:
grin

Have you heard of Afonja?
It’s a dangerous wild animal.

Beware, it attacks humans too.
cheesy
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by VirileNelly2420: 11:05pm On Nov 27, 2022
FreshFarmAgro:
You should start worrying about your safety not the goats. Whatever killed the goat in such a cruel manner must be really cruel

I'm writing this to tell you to be careful about your life.

This clearly is the doings of a dangerous animal

Now, let me advice you professionally.

Go and do deep research on why animal rearers always choose to pair a donkey alongside other animals like yours while raising them. This can be the answer to saving you from such losses into the future.

Be careful. Be it an hyena, a fox or a jackal. These animals can be deadly

An hyena doesn't need to kill an animal from the neck, though it's not that it can not. This suggests another dangerous animal

Jackal Diet

Jackals are nocturnal, omnivorous scavengers. With their long legs and curved canine teeth, they are well adapted for hunting

Jackals kill small prey with a bite to the back of the neck.

Range & habitat

All jackal species live in Africa, albeit in different regions.

Diet

Jackals can be both diurnal and nocturnal. This means that they can look for food both day and night. All jackals are omnivorous, meaning that their diet consists of both meat and plants.

Highlight

" When it comes to killing small prey, they usually do so by delivering a bite to the back of the neck and vigorously shaking the animal. "

Possible culprits

Jackal

Fox

Juvenile Leopard

African civet

We found our answer, thanks to Bratislava. I stick with his idea. This is the work o an envious human in the community that wants to create fear and panic so the Op vacates and abandons the project entirely.

No animal kills in this manner. None
I think cat family kill in dis manner...
Jaguar
Puma
Chetar
Leopard
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by MideMrPossible: 12:30am On Nov 28, 2022
Spandau:

Wow! First off, it's not the handiwork of a hyena. Even a single big one will finish the whole goat. Besides, they hunt in packs and your entire livestock would have gone by now.
Definitely not a wolf because they don't exist in Africa. Jackals, foxes? Too greedy for this kind of a methodic consumption. They would have ripped open the belly and created a mess after killing the goat. You would have heard some noises too because the goat would have put up a struggle.

Whatever did this is definitely an obligate carnivore. A cat. Not a leopard, juvenile or mature. You would have recorded killings every now and then. And probably no carcass left save hooves and head. Infact you may never see the carcass because the leopard will have carried it away. Not a cheetah because they seldom hunt alone. You would have seen just the head and hooves.

It's definitely a smaller cat. An "ehana". Most likely a caracal. This cat killed only your sick animals because they are weak and slow. It couldn't drag or carry them so it consumed the goat right there. It ate all the flesh on the neck, shoulders and part of the back. It also ate the lungs, the heart and liver deep into the carcass. That means the goat was bigger than it for it's head to fit into the body from the chest region. It's definitely a wild cat.

You might not be too far from the truth because something else just happened tonight, the process meats put inside netlike cage to dry on fire went missing, saw the cage with almost nothing inside and I rule out the possiblity of any serious wild animal other than cat, dog or stray dog who probably stay close to the house only to hunt when there is no human movement.
Re: Which Wild Animal Could Have Ripped Off The Neck Of Our Goat Like This? (Video) by MideMrPossible: 12:33am On Nov 28, 2022
onuman:

You refused to say the location. Useless reporter and report. A fox is suspect.

Felt my location isn't important at a moment ni baba, I already put alot out about myself, on a good day if Seun would follow my advice of giving verified badge to some members here, I shouldn't struggle too much to get one.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Photos Of A Mighty Hippopotamus Caught In Gombe State Today / Please Help! My Chicks Legs Are Getting Bent Day By Day!! / I Found Multiple Pythons On My Farm (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.