Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Minority Groups In The Diaspora - What has been your experience? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Minority Groups In The Diaspora - What has been your experience? (946 Views)

Nigeria At 55: The 10 Biggest Cultural Groups In Nigeria / Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 / The 250+ Tribes/ethnic Groups In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minority Groups In The Diaspora - What has been your experience? by emofine(f): 6:47pm On Aug 27, 2011
Nigeria's diaspora obviously contain pockets of minorities that make up the populace. . .

I wonder how it feels for said groups to be a "Nigerian" and what experiences there have been for those hailing from minority groups who now live abroad. . .
Re: Minority Groups In The Diaspora - What has been your experience? by emofine(f): 3:01pm On Aug 30, 2011
My experience:-

Often us diasporans at times have a longing to connect with with our beloved nation and so embrace many things pertaining to back home - be it parties/ gathering/ events etc. Yet in these arranged assemblies it appears to be a little more difficult to blend in if you're from a minority group thus it feels as if I am twice removed from my country; one being away from home and two being slightly detached from the diaspora.

I try to mingle with my fellow Nigerians however my differences just serves to isolate me. I have to constantly reiterate to many Nigerians that I also hail from the same country after they erroneously proceed to guess my origin.   
However before I reveal my identity I am treated with caution (sometimes indifference) as a means of being polite as my compatriots regard me as a stranger. After the knowledge that I am also a Nigerian sinks in they automatically communicate with me as one of them. I also feel a little disjointed as the group I hail from is so small and I being raised abroad unfortunately never grew up with any of my people - who are extremely rare to come across in my adopted abode.

I am a Nigerian but because of these differences I somehow feel that my "Nigerianess" is not up to par with some of my peers who hail from large groups and have the comfort of the company and language of their people close by.

I do enjoy being around my fellow Nigerians despite my conspicuous differences which sometimes make me feel more like a foreigner than a compatriot.
Re: Minority Groups In The Diaspora - What has been your experience? by DaRapture: 3:46pm On Aug 30, 2011
Most of them here try to blend in with the BA population as much as possible, and will not admit to being Nigerian or African at all, if they can get away with it. This works very well with many of the minority groups in the South East, because they, like the Igbo, often have a very common appearance to that of the general AA population.
Re: Minority Groups In The Diaspora - What has been your experience? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:15pm On Aug 30, 2011
Which group is your group emofine?
Re: Minority Groups In The Diaspora - What has been your experience? by emofine(f): 4:34pm On Aug 30, 2011
DaRapture:

Most of them here try to blend in with the BA population as much as possible, and will not admit to being Nigerian or African at all, if they can get away with it. This works very well with many of the minority groups in the South East, because they, like the Igbo, often have a very common appearance to that of the general AA population.

How did you come to know that those who apparenly try to "blend in with the BA population" are from the South East?

I'm not among the Diaspora living in America so I guess I wouldn't know that much about how certain groups there conduct themselves.

ChinenyeN:

Which group is your group emofine?

I am Isoko.
Re: Minority Groups In The Diaspora - What has been your experience? by tpia5: 12:14pm On Aug 31, 2011
Every tribe has cultural associations and i'm yet to meet a nigerian from a minority tribe who was an island. People from minority tribes still network among themselves.

Maybe the poster is trying to fit in with other tribes, hence his/her experiences.

in that case, you might need to learn the language of the other tribe so you can converse better with them.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Online Community(for Mutual Good & Support) / Igbos' Healing Song After The Civil War / Is Malice Really Bad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.