Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Origin Of The Name Aboki? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Name Aboki? (13475 Views)

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Akan(m): 7:28pm On Aug 28, 2011
hmmn from an ibibio perspective

ibibio to hausa =akusa
ibibio to igbo =  Uneghe
ibibio to yoruba = atong udwang ufok (people who sh.it in their rooms) lol

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Rhino5dm: 8:01pm On Aug 28, 2011
Ki fa bini a hankaliiiiiiiiiiii. Ni fa beguwa ne ba a hawana tsirara grin grin. BTW ma ye labari?

Sisi_Kill:

Yaya de, dan iska na? kiss kiss

Me ya faru de baki nka? grin
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Nymphnode(m): 8:24pm On Aug 28, 2011
dipo+:

I use to think aboki is an acceptable gesture to all hausas till I met one hausa man who i was going to buy a pen from. When I called him aboki, he instantly rebuffed me saying it was disrespectful.
He probably is of †нє opinion that aboki has become household for a never-do-well hausa man
Of course, you should have added Broda to it= Broda Aboki. It is proper to address a grown up Hausa man as Mallam. .
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by goggs(m): 8:59pm On Aug 28, 2011
abubello:

The term by "bayerabe" in Hausa simply means a 'Yoruba man' "Bayeraba" means 'yoruba woman' It is not derogatory at all.

The hausa starts the name of different tribes with the prefix "BA" e.g.

Bahaushe    - hausa man
Bature        - European man  note that 'Turai' means Europe
Balarabe     - Arab man
Bayerabe    - Yorubaman
Babarbare   -  Borno man (kanuri)
  etc

I get your drift. I know the following;

Bazauzage = Zaria man
Banupe = Nupe man
Bakano = Kano man
Bazango = ?

so actually Bayerabe = Yoruba is not actually derogatory! we learn everyday cool
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by blackboi(m): 9:28pm On Aug 28, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Aboki means Kolanut chewing goat. undecided . . . . . . . . . . . . .
10 over 10 cheesy grin
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by SIRNIMS(m): 10:06pm On Aug 28, 2011
]is as simple as asking what is he origin of the word nnah as used by Ibos,oneh as used by Tivs, Akpai by the Igalas,Alangoro by Kanuri,Alaraini by the fulanis,egbon or aburo by Yorubas, all these are corrupted form of the use of olanguages.[/color]
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by gossipmama(f): 11:31pm On Aug 28, 2011
igbo to hausa = aboki/ onye ugwu/ agwei
igbo to yoruba = ndi ofe mmanu
igbo to ibibio/efik = mmanwu( dunno the meaning)
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Lax75(m): 12:14am On Aug 29, 2011
I thought Igbos referred to Yorubas as "Yoruba Yoruba?" What does this mean? Do they mean "ni gba ti" as in "When, "
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by omoola007(m): 12:52am On Aug 29, 2011
i am Yoruba and i used to hate the "Yoruba" stuff till i started listing to all the Yoruba people i know, na so so ngabti, nbati, dem dey talk so it is totally justified.

If you don't agree, Try telling a story in Yoruba without saying Yoruba.

I dare ya
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by MrRaw: 12:56am On Aug 29, 2011
Aboki mean friend,
Abokina mean my friend
But in case of non hausa/fulani, if they say aboki they mean something else sad sad
I dey vex if referred with that, even in the market Lolxx
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by SisiKill1: 1:00am On Aug 29, 2011
Lax75:

I thought Igbos referred to Yorubas as "Yoruba Yoruba?"  What does this mean? Do they mean "ni gba ti" as in "When, "
Yes they mean Ni Gba ti.

When Yoruba people are caught in a lie and they are trying to wiggle their way out of it by placing the blame on someone else, they launch into a long explanation peppered with Yoruba Ngabti. Since that's about the only thing a non-Yoruba speaking person can make out of the long tirade, they started calling them Yoruba Yoruba. If you think I'm lying, next time a Yoruba man is caught lying. . .pay close attention to his explanation.  lipsrsealed

You heard it here first cheesy

Rhino.5dm:

Ki fa bini a hankaliiiiiiiiiiii. Ni fa beguwa ne ba a hawana tsirara grin grin. BTW ma ye labari?

Me kana ce?  cheesy
Wa ne labari?
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Rhino5dm: 2:35am On Aug 29, 2011
Ke yar ina ce? a wani garin yanzun ki ke? makaranta ko aiki? wink cool

Sisi_Kill:

Me kana ce? cheesy
Wa ne labari?
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Rhino5dm: 2:40am On Aug 29, 2011
Hausa to Yoruba= Ma su kashi a kwano OR Ma su kolokolo OR Shegu kazamai shocked lipsrsealed

Hausa to Igbo= Dan inyamirin banza OR Barayin banza OR Mayun kudi lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by SisiKill1: 3:06am On Aug 29, 2011
KD

Makaranta da aiki!

Kai?

Rhino.5dm:

Hausa to Yoruba= Ma su kashi a kwano OR Ma su kolokolo OR Shegu kazamai shocked lipsrsealed

Hausa to Igbo= Dan inyamirin banza OR Barayin banza OR Mayun kudi lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Rotflmaooooo!! cheesy cheesy

Hausa to all - A Banza!!
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Rhino5dm: 4:17am On Aug 29, 2011
Lag, aiki.

Sisi_Kill:

KD

Makaranta da aiki!

Kai?
Rotflmaooooo!! cheesy cheesy

Hausa to all - A Banza!!

wani makaranta? ABU, KAD Poly, FCE Zaria, State Uni?
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Nobody: 4:20am On Aug 29, 2011
awwwww.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by yomijnr(m): 5:33am On Aug 29, 2011
kizito96:

Aboki means those with low mentality. How could a group of people come together and say they do not want Education, yet they call press conferences and speak to BBC in English

That would probably make you an 'aboki' too, if you're going to come on here to make such  silly generalisations about a whole tribe based on the actions of a minority.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Rhino5dm: 6:14am On Aug 29, 2011
Ofofo, ehn ? grin  mon kon ba sere ni ooo.  cool

mo ti yo iju si foto ye. . . mi le fe.  wink wink

Kon nse iru eron ti mon je .  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Ileke-IdI:

awwwww.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Nobody: 7:01am On Aug 29, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Ofofo, ehn ? grin  mon kon ba sere ni ooo.  cool

mo ti yo iju si foto ye. . . mi le fe.  wink wink

Kon nse iru eron ti mon je .  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Who are you supposed to be fooling here? Emi abi iwo? grin

You do understand that Sisi kill understands/ speaks Yoruba sha cheesy
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Rhino5dm: 7:29am On Aug 29, 2011
@ Bold
Ofcourse, i know she did. The massage was for both, as i still maintain my initial stand or is that anything wrong in making friends without any attachment to it?

Is there anything wrong in expressing my freedom of choice?

**speaking to my self**

* Why should i waste effort with virtual relationship when i can just drive to Kuramo beach and have a nice B_Job for 500 naira only?
tongue undecided

Ileke-IdI:

Who are you supposed to be fooling here? Emi abi iwo? grin

You do understand that Sisi kill understands/ speaks Yoruba sha cheesy
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by nagoma(m): 10:41am On Aug 29, 2011
It began in the days when Yoruba growers of Kola-nuts (GWORO) were searching for the most fertile market in the universe for their produce. They were looking overseas but discovered to their surprise that the man mending shoes by the roadside was to Kola-nut what America is to Oil,  They quickly branded him Aboki meaning my friend. That was what my grandma' told me and she never lied     

That old hag is  is lying through her teeth (if she has any teeth at all) and you have inherited those genes.

Aboki means a friend  and you can refer to anyone with this amicable overture to signify untroubleness.  People respond to these hausas the name "Aboki" its a bit like the name "Inyamiri " I believe a corruption of the Ibo language from what the first Igbo visitors to Hausaland say to the locals.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Lax75(m): 12:55am On Aug 30, 2011
omoola007:

i am Yoruba and i used to hate the "Yoruba" stuff till i started listing to all the Yoruba people i know, na so so ngabti, nbati, dem dey talk so it is totally justified.

If you don't agree, Try telling a story in Yoruba without saying Yoruba.

I dare ya

You know I'm Yoruba, lol. So I'll keep my ears open next time. But what's funny is how the ndigbo man pronounces "Yoruba Yoruba." I'm always rolling on the floor laughing. Some people may find it offensive but I'd say those who have a sense of humour would find it funny.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Lax75(m): 12:57am On Aug 30, 2011
Sisi_Kill:

Yes they mean Ni Gba ti.

When Yoruba people are caught in a lie and they are trying to wiggle their way out of it by placing the blame on someone else, they launch into a long explanation peppered with Yoruba Ngabti. Since that's about the only thing a non-Yoruba speaking person can make out of the long tirade, they started calling them Yoruba Yoruba. If you think I'm lying, next time a Yoruba man is caught lying. . .pay close attention to his explanation.  lipsrsealed

You heard it here first cheesy

Hmm. Ok I'll pay attention to that next time, lol. Thanks.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by darqly(m): 12:23pm On Aug 30, 2011
Aboki is NOT a derogatory term in any way, regardless of what the majority of respondents here think.
It simply means friend and is used amongst peers.
I guess most non-hausa assume using it at any given oppurtunity will rile the other party; generally, it doesnt't.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Mustay(m): 11:09am On Oct 26, 2014
It's so queer how Seun has changed "Ab0ki" for Northerner.

Someone viewing this topic for the first time would get lost with what the members are discussing.

At least, "my friend" would have been a better substitute. Moreover, the abuse of the word doesn't mean the originality should be replaced.
Re: Origin Of The Name Aboki? by Wulfruna(f): 12:17pm On Oct 26, 2014
Mustay:
It's so queer how Seun has changed "Ab0ki" for Northerner.

Someone viewing this topic for the first time would get lost with what the members are discussing.

At least, "my friend" would have been a better substitute. Moreover, the abuse of the word doesn't mean the originality should be replaced.

Like seriously. The word censorship on this forum is tending towards the absurd. "Ab.oki" is a genuine Hausa word with no harmful connotation. Because some Southerners use it to imply something derogatory, it has become a dirty word? So if an Hausa man on this forum types "Ab.oki, ina kwana?" to his fellow Hausa man, Nairaland will change it to "Northerner, ina kwana?" Ridiculous! How about the long list of derogatory terms used to describe Southerners? Nyamiri. Ofe.mmanu. et cetera. When are they going to be censored as well.

EDITED: Oh, I see Ofe.mmanu has been censored too. It remains Nyamiri.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Question About The Yoruba Language: / Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? / President General Of Ohaneze Ndigbo, Obi Of Onitsha Set For Eastern Heritage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.