Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,908 members, 7,821,156 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? (13514 Views)

2014 Census Shows That Yoruba People Are Becoming The Major Ethnic Group / 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) / The True Identity Of The Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by amor4ce(m): 3:38am On Jul 22, 2011
Can someone please help me with details about Ela as mentioned by the Yoruba, including quotes and their translations.
Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:54pm On Oct 18, 2013
Ela and Orunmila is same thang

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by MetaPhysical: 8:26am On Oct 22, 2013
Ela is a deity.

In the creation of Heaven and Earth the custodial duties of the angels were also divided and separated from that of the messengers, so that while angels were limited to duties in heaven, the messengers were confined to duties on earth.

Deities belong in heaven, Orishas belong on earth.

Ela is one of the deities or angels in heaven.

Ela was the name designation of the custodial deity of Kaabah in pre-Islamic times. Its name and rites of worship were copied wholesale into Islamic rites of worship.

That name was changed to Alla -Hu, which became Allah. The HU is a differentiator. This AllaHu is above the post and essense of deities or angelic beings, he is accorded the position of GOD, whereas Ela can fittingly be called a god. All gods bow to the ONE GOD.

The name and letters of ALLA itself posesses a potent esoteric formula in the sense that it is a root element for duality in nature and creation.All esoteric formulas are based on the foundation of duality and the manipulation of their place value on a paradoxical scale.

ALLA is used by Muslim Sufis in a zikhr dance or chant to invoke energy and potency in natural elements.

Ela is an essence and the opener of gateways in Ifa divination.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by olaolutreasure(m): 12:59pm On Sep 04, 2017
[b][/b] Ela is Jesus

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by Olu317(m): 1:24pm On Sep 05, 2017
Ela is GOD himself if one understands the sublime wisdom in IFA corpus,where historical information about creation was made manifest. According to the corpus ,Ela is GOD. This is because Ela was spoke word in the chaotic void,which brought forth the LIFE. Ela is the ORO that connects humanity to GOD.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by MusicSots: 7:03am On Jan 20, 2020
Olu317:
Ela is GOD himself if one understands the sublime wisdom in IFA corpus,where historical information about creation was made manifest. According to the corpus ,Ela is GOD. This is because Ela was spoke word in the chaotic void,which brought forth the LIFE. Ela is the ORO that connects humanity to GOD.

That confirms the teachings that says 'Ela is Yeshua'

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by siant: 7:30pm On Jan 20, 2020
I have read a book written in yoruba by an Evangelist, titled 'Tani Jesu' (who is Jesus) he calls him as Ela

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by Olu317(m): 12:41am On Jan 21, 2020
MusicSots:

That confirms the teachings that says 'Ela is Yeshua'
If you're an initiate of Eyo. Perhaps, you will realise, Adamo orisha is Yeshua. Ijebu and other Eastern Yoruba dialects are rich in ancient Yoruba language.So,this name became diminutive to Eshu. In odu ogunda, there is a creation myth that, Eshu and Ela(Orunmiela) are are inseparable).The same personality is the protector of twins, his believers and the killer of the enemies of his followers.
Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by MusicSots: 5:21pm On Jan 21, 2020
Olu317:
If you're an initiate of Eyo. Perhaps, you will realise, Adamo orisha is Yeshua. Ijebu and other Eastern Yoruba dialects are rich in ancient Yoruba language.So,this name became diminutive to Eshu. In odu ogunda, there is a creation myth that, Eshu and Ela(Orunmiela) are are inseparable).The same personality is the protector of twins, his believers and the killer of the enemies of his followers.

So Eshu is Yeshua? I have read about it before actually. But is Eshu thesame has the Christian Satan?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by Olu317(m): 6:07pm On Jan 21, 2020
MusicSots:

So Eshu is Yeshua? I have read about it before actually. But is Eshu thesame has the Christian Satan?
Yes! Eshu is Yeshua but became diminutive. If in doubt,verify, why Eshu is the protector of twin,entrance to God ,as been written in the Bible which is the same in Yoruba ifaodu religion. Please ,go ask father of twins or Yoruba Ifaodu priests to explain it ,why Eshu is a part of Ela( Creator). The English people were preaching Ela that came to earth as Human being as Yoruba ancestors spoke of one of them, who ascended to heaven. The man's name was also called Ela or Elu oro o gbo( one who rose from death and live forever to shrewd),in the traditional religion of ifaodu of ancient Yorubas that wasn't corrupted. Plainly, this name was written as Hebrew :יְשׁוּעָ
Lettering combination: ye+sh+ u+ ah= Yeshua!

Breaking it down in a simplify form:
Ye:יְ
Sh:שׁ
U(oo):וּ
ah : עָah:

Meaning: .....JV: save, welfare, salvation, saving, deliverance, help, health , NAS: salvation, saving, victories, deliverance, prosperity, save, victory, deeds of deliverance, security, help HCS: my Savior, salvation, victories, deliverance, victorious, Salvation, of salvation, prosperity, the salvation, save, victory, Savior, help, saving acts.

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by MusicSots: 6:43pm On Jan 21, 2020
Olu317:
Yes! Eshu is Yeshua but became diminutive. If in doubt,verify, why Eshu is the protector of twin,entrance to God ,as been written in the Bible which is the same in Yoruba ifaodu religion. Please ,go ask father of twins or Yoruba Ifaodu priests to explain it ,why Eshu is a part of Ela( Creator). The English people were preaching Ela that came to earth as Human being as Yoruba ancestors spoke of one of them, who ascended to heaven. The man's name was also called Ela or Elu oro o gbo( one who rose from death and live forever to shrewd),in the traditional religion of ifaodu of ancient Yorubas that wasn't corrupted. Plainly, this name was written as Hebrew :יְשׁוּעָ
Lettering combination: ye+sh+ u+ ah= Yeshua!

Breaking it down in a simplify form:
Ye:יְ
Sh:שׁ
U(oo):וּ
ah : עָah:

Meaning: .....JV: save, welfare, salvation, saving, deliverance, help, health , NAS: salvation, saving, victories, deliverance, prosperity, save, victory, deeds of deliverance, security, help HCS: my Savior, salvation, victories, deliverance, victorious, Salvation, of salvation, prosperity, the salvation, save, victory, Savior, help, saving acts.

You didn't answer the Satan part. Is Eshu of Yoruba the same as Satan of Christianity?
Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by Olu317(m): 8:02pm On Jan 21, 2020
MusicSots:

You didn't answer the Satan part. Is Eshu of Yoruba the same as Satan of Christianity?
No, the Hebrew's śâṭân( saw-tawn')_ and Yoruba Eshu aren't the same. Hebrew concept of the personality of śâṭân is an adversary, one who oppose man and not God . Hebrew's God has no rival but man does. This is also found in Yoruba philosophical word of one's adversary in Ypruba lexicon known as , ‘she'ota', which became diminutive to ota, although sheota is being used daily among Yoruba people of West Africa. It was a big blunder on the part Late Rev. Samuel Ajayi Crowther who mistakenly taught Eshu means Devil in his translation of the Bible into Yoruba language.

The name Eshu is still being borne today amongst defiant Yoruba that know the purpose and the meaning of the name. The English people who tried to translate the Bible into English language made some sort of mistake by thinking there was a powerful spirit who fought God, that is known as ‘supreme evil spirit in the Abrahamic religions, who tempts humanity and rules Hell; the Devil as Rev. Samuel Ajayi did on Eshu,which isn't with the concept of the ancient Hebrew but the purpose of one God has been established to buttress the purpose of God.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by MusicSots: 10:06pm On Jan 21, 2020
Olu317:
No, the Hebrew's śâṭân( aw-tawn')_ and Yoruba Eshu aren't the same. Hebrew concept of the personality of śâṭân is an adversary, one who oppose man and not God . Hebrew's God has no rival but man does. This is also found in Yoruba philosophical word of one's adversary in Ypruba lexicon known as , ‘she'ota', which became diminutive to ota, although sheota is being used daily among Yoruba people of West Africa. It was a big blunder on the part Late Rev. Samuel Ajayi Crowther. that mistakenly taught Eshu means Devil in his translation of the Bible into Yoruba language.

The name Eshu is still being borne today amongst defiant Yoruba that know the purpose and the meaning of the name. The English people who tried to translate the Bible into English language made some sort of mistake by thinking there was a powerful spirit who fought God, that is known as ‘supreme evil spirit in the Abrahamic religions, who tempts humanity and rules Hell; the Devil as Rev. Samuel Ajayi did on Eshu,which isn't with the concept of the ancient Hebrew but the purpose of one God has been established to buttress the purpose of God.

Thank you very much sire for the explanation.

There's this argument about the complexion of Yeshua(whether white or black). Some even say he(Eshu)appears in all world traditions and could take any form. What's your take on this?
Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by Olu317(m): 11:15pm On Jan 21, 2020
MusicSots:

Thank you very much sire for the explanation.

There's this argument about the complexion of Yeshua(whether white or black). Some even say he(Eshu)appears in all world traditions and could take any form. What's your take on this?
The worldview of God is different from one ethnic group to another. So,I can't infer on how many culture see the identity of Yeshua,from their perspective.

However, from Sanskrit, persian,Assyrian, to Egypt etc culture ,there are different knowledge on yeshua in their mythology, which solidly differs from the yoruba concept of God, because the almighty one appear differently from Hebraic culture and Yoruba's, because God exist as spirit being ,who is not seen through a naked eyes and never a man made defied God

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by arizonababa: 10:05am On Feb 09, 2020
Ela is God simple and stop stupidity coating

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by MusicSots: 1:15pm On Feb 16, 2020
Olu317:

Happy Sunday sir. I read is yesterday on a site that Eshu is related to planet mercury and this is contrast my initial thought that is the manifestation of the sun. Please whats your take on this site?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by Olu317(m): 1:48pm On Feb 16, 2020
MusicSots:

Happy Sunday sir. I read is yesterday on a site that Eshu is related to planet mercury and this is contrast my initial thought that is the manifestation of the sun. Please whats your take on this site?
Yoruba oral account and Ifaodu corpus, explain the personality of Eshu as part of the complexity of ela (Orunmiela). And if you consider the distance of Mercury to Sun is over 57+ millions kilometers according scientific research.

Therefore,you will realise that Yeshua/Eshuiwa/ Eshu, isn't the same as postulated that the identity of Eshu is Planet Mercury. The name Eshu is associated with power,which is the entrance name to Eledumare, in Yoruba traditional religion. For instance, one of the duty of eshu is protect e.g Eshu leyin Ibeji(defender/protector of twins). Another example is, Eshu oni bode orun/Eshu Oli bode orun(guard/entrance name before access to God). So I differ with such postulation as connecting Eshu to a planet that is not with any form of authority over life .
Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by MusicSots: 5:05pm On Feb 16, 2020
Olu317:
Yoruba oral account and Ifaodu corpus, explain the personality of Eshu as part of the complexity of ela (Orunmiela). And if you consider the distance of Mercury to Sun is over 57+ millions kilometers according scientific research.

Therefore,you will realise that Yeshua/Eshuiwa/ Eshu, isn't the same as postulated that the identity of Eshu is Planet Mercury. The name Eshu is associated with power,which is the entrance name to Eledumare, in Yoruba traditional religion. For instance, one of the duty of eshu is protect e.g Eshu leyin Ibeji(defender/protector of twins). Another example is, Eshu oni bode orun/Eshu Oli bode orun(guard/entrance name before access to God). So I differ with such postulation as connecting Eshu to a planet that is not with any form of authority over life .

So I shouldn't believe the orishas are connected to some planets? And is any god related fully with the sun? Some said Orunmila is?
Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by macof(m): 2:15am On Feb 17, 2020
MusicSots:

I would advise you to not gather your information on Yoruba traditions from "a site" as there are many random people who don't know much themselves but just keep up their act as they go

There are many Facebook groups with Babaláwo and olorisa that can answer your questions
Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by MusicSots: 11:43am On Feb 17, 2020
macof:
I would advise you to not gather your information on Yoruba traditions from "a site" as there are many random people who don't know much themselves but just keep up their act as they go

There are many Facebook groups with Babaláwo and olorisa that can answer your questions

Thanks. Give me a name of a good babalawo group please.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by Olu317(m): 6:25pm On Feb 17, 2020
MusicSots:

So I shouldn't believe the orishas are connected to some planets? And is any god related fully with the sun? Some said Orunmila is?
Yoruba religion of Ifaodu is well established in cosmology. And Please don't associate Yoruba Orissa with planetary because, Yoruba ancestors were mortal men and didn't worship planet though connect to God through astral power, which is very expatiated in Ifaodu corpus. The 16 Odus have purpose it is being chanted. Orunmiela or Ela dwell in conduit,from which this creator made sun in Yoruba's ese Ifaodu Ogunda and remains the light from which the earth access life, day and separated it from darkness. So, if people try to mix up Orunmila with plain sun, then it is a dead mistake. Infact , Obara Meji refer to Orunmiela as staying in a tree called Oriri Yoruba in which, he called out 16 stones and turn it to 16 cowries for Osun to use it for her divination, which show that anyone who isn't in good term with Yoruba Ifaodu can't understand the complexity of Ela because this is likened to how woman was created out of man through Ela. And it is the authority of man that show that ordination of woman is by man through Ashe Erindilogun.
Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by MusicSots: 7:09am On Feb 18, 2020
Olu317:
Yoruba religion of Ifaodu is well established in cosmology. And Please don't associate Yoruba Orissa with planetary because, Yoruba ancestors were mortal men and didn't worship planet though connect to God through astral power, which is very expatiated in Ifaodu corpus. The 16 Odus have purpose it is being chanted. Orunmiela or Ela dwell in conduit,from which this creator made sun in Yoruba's ese Ifaodu Ogunda and remains the light from which the earth access life, day and separated it from darkness. So, if people try to mix up Orunmila with plain sun, then it is a dead mistake. Infact , Obara Meji refer to Orunmiela as staying in a tree called Oriri Yoruba in which, he called out 16 stones and turn it to 16 cowries for Osun to use it for her divination, which show that anyone who isn't in good term with Yoruba Ifaodu can't understand the complexity of Ela because this is likened to how woman was created out of man through Ela. And it is the authority of man that show that ordination of woman is by man through Ashe Erindilogun.

Thanks baba. Are you an Onifa?
Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by Olu317(m): 2:35pm On Feb 18, 2020
MusicSots:

Thanks baba. Are you an Onifa?
I am not an Olifa, Onifa or Adafa, though I am an initiate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba People, Who Is Ela? by McPizzle(m): 4:40pm On Feb 18, 2020
Olu317:
I am not an Olifa, Onifa or Adafa, though I am an initiate.

I've been following the thread and I must say thank you for your time sir. I have a pressing question to ask though, which is as regards the authenticity of 'Yoruba' as a name that truly derives from our tradition and language. What is your take of this matter?

(1) (Reply)

Ekpe 2010/2011 / President General Of Ohaneze Ndigbo, Obi Of Onitsha Set For Eastern Heritage / Tutorial On Making A Flower Brooch With Seed Beads And Pearl Beads.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.