Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,206 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees (6672 Views)

Riot In Lasu ... SUG Protesting Against Lagos Agberos / See Photos Of Unical Year 1 Students Standing Outside To Recieve Gss / JAMB Explains Admission Procedure To Protesting Candidates, Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by Rhino5dm: 3:11pm On Aug 28, 2011
Students At The University Of Calabar Engage In Fierce Protests Over School Fees

Students at the University of Calabar rioted overnight protesting decision by the school authorities forcing students to pay higher school fees. The protests have spiraled out of the control of the authorities and police. Reports reaching SaharaReporters shows that  rampaging students angered by the decision of the school authorities might have attacked the home and offices of the Vice Chancellor of the university.

An eyewitness said the  rioting has reached  critical stage the source wrote,  "right now the university vice chancellor's office set ablaze by the students, the major road leading in and out of the school and major street blocked. Police are seen every were but they can do little because they can't enter into the university community all they do now is try to stop weapons from being taken into the school compound."

http://www.nigerianews24.com/articles/students-at-the-university-of-calabar-engage-in-fierce-protests-over-school-fees
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by Sub5(m): 7:59am On Aug 29, 2011
This is Association of boko Aharam university of calabar charpter at work
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by donem: 12:17pm On Aug 29, 2011
@sub5
what do you mean by such imbecilic comment in respect of students of my alma-mata, who are only protesting against their infringed rights.
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by friedrice1: 12:27pm On Aug 29, 2011
at the end of the day Students would be surcharged for this,
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by kufreabasi(m): 12:33pm On Aug 29, 2011
Great malabites and malabresess!!! Action.
Enough is enough.
Stand for your right no matter the closure.
They want people to gp to school again
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by ifyalways(f): 12:37pm On Aug 29, 2011
fried-rice:

My exact thoughts.

Would the end justify all this wahala  undecided
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by rolchi(m): 12:38pm On Aug 29, 2011
fried-rice:

Yes, me wonders if the school fees were increased by these cars that they have destroyed
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by tiassum(m): 12:48pm On Aug 29, 2011
Look at this idiot o. Them increase school fee them dey fight. How much dem dey pay sef. Now they will say Nigerian schools dish out substandard graduates. why wont they. Pay taxes they wont pay. and they want the Government to do everything for them.God help naija mehn
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by mrofficial(m): 1:08pm On Aug 29, 2011
^^ Why is it that increament has always been the order over everything in Nigeria? Next year, they will increase fee again with nothing to show for.
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by netghost: 1:22pm On Aug 29, 2011
always looking for a reason to protest , jobless people
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by Jamesbona: 1:58pm On Aug 29, 2011
The FRCN network news said it was due to the killing of two of their students by unknown gunmen and arrest of others by the police. Can anyone tell me the real cause of the riot?
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by deandavid(m): 2:00pm On Aug 29, 2011
destroying the skool properties,is foolishness.wat took years to build,they destroyed in jst a day.wats d diff btw dem nd boko.educated people should dialog and nt destroy.shame on malabites.
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by seedord247(m): 2:15pm On Aug 29, 2011
tiassum:

Look at this o. Them increase school fee them dey fight. How much dem dey pay sef. Now they will say Nigerian schools dish out substandard graduates. why wont they. Pay taxes they wont pay. and they want the Government to do everything for them.God help naija mehn

Guy stop ranting what you don't know and face you dirty ass.
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by Drenix(m): 3:27pm On Aug 29, 2011
DIS IS JUST A SIMILAR CASE WITH MA SKUL {FEDERAL POLYTECHNICNEKEDE, OWERRI, IMO STATE]. WE NIGERIA STUDENTS NIDS 2 FYT 4 OUR RIGHT, DEY WUD JUST WAKE UP 1 EARLY MORNING AND DECIDES 2 INFLATE PAINS ON US. I DONT BLAME DEM, CUS DIA CHILDREN AINT SKULING IN ANY OF OUR UNI OR POLY, GREAT NIGERIAN STUDENT,
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by vitality22(m): 3:53pm On Aug 29, 2011
Jamesbona:

The FRCN network news said it was due to the killing of two of their students by unknown gunmen and arrest of others by the police. Can anyone tell me the real cause of the riot?
FRCN lied, actually what happened was that a new VC (prof james Epoke) just appointed last year on assumption, increased school fees by 10k. Some students took it and were paying. But just last week thursday the school authority said no school fees payment in full, no examinations and the student will loose the entire session. It didnt go down well with the students on friday night and they protested. The VC came same night and spoke to them and then left.
They continued with the protest. It was when the a student was killed by a security official, that the student went on rampage. Infact the students blocked my street where the university is situated on saturday. To be candid they students destroyed a lot of things, they even went to the staff quarters to destroy their cars.
The school has been closed down for two (2) weeks, starting from last saturday.
It was difficult entering the school to attend a church service inside the campus yesterday. Mobile police men and sodiers now guard the school.
Its unfortunate that the first thing the new VC did was to increase school fees and then went on to say you either pay in full or loose the whole session. May be he thinks everybody in from a wealthy home.
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by ojubi(m): 6:45pm On Aug 29, 2011
This is a so call federal university. Cant we have specific fee prescription which all the federal university must adhere to and can only be reviewed by that shit called ministry of education?
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by donem: 7:00pm On Aug 29, 2011
vitality22:

FRCN lied, actually what happened was that a new VC (prof james Epoke) just appointed last year on assumption, increased school fees by 10k. Some students took it and were paying. But just last week thursday the school authority said no school fees payment in full, no examinations and the student will loose the entire session. It didnt go down well with the students on friday night and they protested. The VC came same night and spoke to them and then left.
They continued with the protest. It was when the a student was killed by a security official, that the student went on rampage. Infact the students blocked my street where the university is situated on saturday. To be candid they students destroyed a lot of things, they even went to the staff quarters to destroy their cars.
It was difficult entering the school to attend a church service inside the campus yesterday. Mobile police men and sodiers now guard the school.
Its unfortunate that the first thing the new VC did was to increase school fees and then went on to say you either pay in full or loose the whole session. May be he thinks everybody in from a wealthy home.
my brother all you've just said is the truth which i was about to confirm to all. i was part of the initial peaceful protest which turned ugly, due to temperamental nature of the unical surveilance internal security who out of stupidness indiscriminately shot directly at a student rather than fire a warning shot on air. That was the ultimate struck on we the students which ignited the aluta continua spirit (kill one kill all) the security officials realizing the gravity of their action ran into tin air so the students had to vent their anger on the school facilities.
vitality22:

my brother all you've just said is the truth which i was about to confirm to all. i was part of the initial peaceful protest which turned ugly, due to temperamental nature of the unical surveilance internal security who out of stupidness indiscriminately shot directly at a student rather than fire a warning shot on air. That was the ultimate struck on we the students which ignited the aluta continua spirit (kill one kill all) the security officials realizing the gravity of their action ran into tin air so the students had to vent their anger on the school facilities.
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by manny4life(m): 7:04pm On Aug 29, 2011
tiassum:

Look at this  o. Them increase school fee them dey fight. How much dem dey pay sef. Now they will say Nigerian schools dish out substandard graduates. why wont they. Pay taxes they wont pay. and they want the Government to do everything for them.God help naija mehn

Do you have to talk? Why would one just swallow an increase without any reason and due process? If they had 10,000 with a semester increase of N10,000, the school just made N100,000,000 additional increase, why won't they protest? More so, this money isn't put to good use such as structural and infrastructural development, academic scholarship, grants, Sponsored Research / Developments etc, yet the school expects the students to be good grads when they haven't provided resources.
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by Ben13: 7:30pm On Aug 29, 2011
Must everything in Nigeria be with violence? Whatever happened to dialogue?
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by donem: 7:54pm On Aug 29, 2011
Ben-10:

Must everything in Nigeria be with violence? Whatever happened to dialogue?
matt 11:12 and from the days of john the baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violence taketh it by force. decode this ben10

1 Like

Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by netghost: 9:49pm On Aug 29, 2011
donem:

matt 11:12 and from the days of john the baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violence taketh it by force. decode this ben10

please read your bible properly and stop making blind reference to it
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by Divihack: 9:52pm On Aug 29, 2011
Am a proud malabite but the problem was a deadline on when to pay fees so in the progress a student was shot by skol security official instead of him to receive medical attention,he was labelled a cultist & died d next day due to gun shot wounds.So d rest is now history
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by Jamesbona: 10:32pm On Aug 29, 2011
Thanks to vitality22 and donem for clarifying me.
Re: Students Of UNICAL Protesting Over Increased School Fees by rolchi(m): 11:54am On Aug 30, 2011
donem:

my brother all you've just said is the truth which i was about to confirm to all. i was part of the initial peaceful protest which turned ugly, due to temperamental nature of the unical surveilance internal security who out of stupidness indiscriminately shot directly at a student rather than fire a warning shot on air. That was the ultimate struck on we the students which ignited the aluta continua spirit (kill one kill all) the security officials realizing the gravity of their action ran into tin air so the students had to vent their anger on the school facilities.my brother all you've just said is the truth which i was about to confirm to all. i was part of the initial peaceful protest which turned ugly, due to temperamental nature of the unical surveilance internal security who out of stupidness indiscriminately shot directly at a student rather than fire a warning shot on air. That was the ultimate struck on we the students which ignited the aluta continua spirit (kill one kill all) the security officials realizing the gravity of their action ran into tin air so the students had to vent their anger on the school facilities.

Yes, but going to destroy even the scarcely available school properties will not solve any issue, Even now, before they resume, they will pay for damages and still pay the fees. We must learn to be responsible adults!

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Useless University Degrees 2016 / How To Collect My Official Transcripts From Poly Ibadan After Over 10 Years / JAMB Brainstorming forum In Sciences {math,phy, chem,bio} For 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.