Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,091 members, 7,811,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? (891 Views)

Bank Official Asked Me To Pray Over Erroneous Transfer. / Must I Join An Association Before Operating My Business? / CBN Offers ₦50 Billion Credit To Households, Businesses Affected By Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by DeKen: 3:53am On Dec 09, 2022
I've been experiencing some disappointments with First Bank.

1. It took going to the bank multiple times before I could get to use Internet Banking
I'd decided not to get an ATM card for my First Bank Corporate account with the hope to rely on Internet Banking. But my experience has not been a nice one. 1st I had to go to the bank at least 3 different times and filled the same form to activate Internet banking before it was finally activated. Each time I was promised that I'll receive a mail but it never came until after the 3rd time. But I wasn't informed that I'll need to have a hardware token before I could perform any transactions. When I got disappointed while trying to make an urgent transfer I got to realize that I needed a token. Please note that this is several years ago when Internet Banking had not yet been popular. So not everyone would have known that transactions will require the token.

Then I was at the banking hall again for the token only to be informed that the request must be on my company's letterhead, so I had to go back another day.

2. They did an upgrade to the Internet Banking Platform years ago and since then my token was no longer recognized.
After the upgrade to the Internet Banking my hardware token stopped being recognized even though it is still working and producing tokens. There was information that I should synchronize it through the Internet banking platform and I followed the procedure yet it still didn't work. I went to a branch to complain and I was repeatedly asked to come back. After two such times I now complained about having to be told to come back each time and I was referred to someone who still referred me back to the same person. Then I was told to come back with the token. Since then I couldn't take out the time to go back. That's years ago.

So since then whenever I receive money in that account, I'll go to the bank and fill a transfer form to move everything to another account.

Not so long ago I got a call that my account has been upgraded to Premium Services and I was told that if I had any issues it would be resolved quickly. When I received such call again recently I used the opportunity to mention my challenge with the Internet Banking and token and I was asked to call out the serial number for assistance. However, the feedback was that my token which is still producing the token digits can't be synchronized, that I'll have to get another one for N2,500. Wow. Surprisingly the tokens I have from other banks that are equally as old (and one even older) are still working.

3. Erroneous transfer into my account
Now to the latest. Someone mistakenly transferred 100k into my account yesterday morning around 11am. By 3pm I was called by a guy who says he's calling from First Bank Branch Obudu asking me to go to any of their branches to effect a reversal. I think he also said that my account has been prevented from debits. I asked why can't they just return the money to the owner without me having to go to the bank and he said it requires my authorization. I asked if I can do it at my convenience when ever I go to town since I now live outside town and he said the money is needed urgently. I agreed I will go the next day. But afterwards I'm now wondering, why do I have to stress myself, leave what ever I have to do and bear the cost to drive down to town to authorize the reversal thereby bearing cost for someone else's mistake? Erroneous transfers are common place, why shouldn't there be an easier way of effecting the authorization without having to stress a customer? I hate going to the banking hall. I hate queuing. And right now I'm not in the mood to do so especially considering the cost of fuel.

I've sent a mail to the bank asking them to do the reversal. I hope that should suffice because I'm not comfortable bearing cost for someone else's mistake.

1 Like

Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by gaby(m): 3:58am On Dec 09, 2022
Cheap scammers wan use you cash out.

Idiots..

Dem dey beer parlour or club and need that cash to sustain the farce and fske life...
Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by fman(m): 4:03am On Dec 09, 2022
No reason the cost ...
Please return the cash .
God will bless you

1 Like

Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by libertyfather(m): 5:08am On Dec 09, 2022
Do it at your convenient time if possible it takes a year, I hate nonsense why must you be present in the bank to make it possible to return their fraud money...I smell scam tell them you are out of the country if they can't hv It reversed by dem self, mail them, call them, go to almost all their social media platform report the transaction before you transfer or send back, this will wash ur hands clean in case they wants to bring up a stunt
Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by dominique(f): 5:28am On Dec 09, 2022
Someone mistakenly transferred money to your account at 11am and within 4 hours they have contacted you? When did our banks get so effective? The same banks will tell the sender to come back in 7 working days after which nothing will still be done. Something fishy is going on, it seems those bankers are using your account for some fraudulent activities and they want you to show up and be the fall guy. Don't go alone to the bank and don't go to that specific branch, go to another neutral branch faraway. Go at your own convenience, don't let them pressure you into suspending your routine because of their error.

3 Likes

Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by Ahmed0336(m): 5:55am On Dec 09, 2022
Na You dey worry yourself....
When you had issues with them they kept whining you, now it's your turn.

I'd say you leave it until when you have personal transaction you want to do.

Or tell the person calling you how much it will cost(transportation, feeding,stress,risk etc) for you to make yourself available and please be careful when going because you'd never can tell who is watching.
Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by Sambai65(m): 6:57am On Dec 09, 2022
Me first bank i reject it

1 Like

Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by phemmyfour: 7:15am On Dec 09, 2022
DeKen:
I've been experiencing some disappointments with First Bank.

1. It took going to the bank multiple times before I could get to use Internet Banking
I'd decided not to get an ATM card for my First Bank Corporate account with the hope to rely on Internet Banking. But my experience has not been a nice one. 1st I had to go to the bank at least 3 different times and filled the same form to activate Internet banking before it was finally activated. Each time I was promised that I'll receive a mail but it never came until after the 3rd time. But I wasn't informed that I'll need to have a hardware token before I could perform any transactions. When I got disappointed while trying to make an urgent transfer I got to realize that I needed a token. Please note that this is several years ago when Internet Banking had not yet been popular. So not everyone would have known that transactions will require the token.

Then I was at the banking hall again for the token only to be informed that the request must be on my company's letterhead, so I had to go back another day.

2. They did an upgrade to the Internet Banking Platform years ago and since then my token was no longer recognized.
After the upgrade to the Internet Banking my hardware token stopped being recognized even though it is still working and producing tokens. There was information that I should synchronize it through the Internet banking platform and I followed the procedure yet it still didn't work. I went to a branch to complain and I was repeatedly asked to come back. After two such times I now complained about having to be told to come back each time and I was referred to someone who still referred me back to the same person. Then I was told to come back with the token. Since then I couldn't take out the time to go back. That's years ago.

So since then whenever I receive money in that account, I'll go to the bank and fill a transfer form to move everything to another account.

Not so long ago I got a call that my account has been upgraded to Premium Services and I was told that if I had any issues it would be resolved quickly. When I received such call again recently I used the opportunity to mention my challenge with the Internet Banking and token and I was asked to call out the serial number for assistance. However, the feedback was that my token which is still producing the token digits can't be synchronized, that I'll have to get another one for N2,500. Wow. Surprisingly the tokens I have from other banks that are equally as old (and one even older) are still working.

3. Erroneous transfer into my account
Now to the latest. Someone mistakenly transferred 100k into my account yesterday morning around 11am. By 3pm I was called by a guy who says he's calling from First Bank Branch Obudu asking me to go to any of their branches to effect a reversal. I think he also said that my account has been prevented from debits. I asked why can't they just return the money to the owner without me having to go to the bank and he said it requires my authorization. I asked if I can do it at my convenience when ever I go to town since I now live outside town and he said the money is needed urgently. I agreed I will go the next day. But afterwards I'm now wondering, why do I have to stress myself, leave what ever I have to do and bear the cost to drive down to town to authorize the reversal thereby bearing cost for someone else's mistake? Erroneous transfers are common place, why shouldn't there be an easier way of effecting the authorization without having to stress a customer? I hate going to the banking hall. I hate queuing. And right now I'm not in the mood to do so especially considering the cost of fuel.

I've sent a mail to the bank asking them to do the reversal. I hope that should suffice because I'm not comfortable bearing cost for someone else's mistake.
If you have conscience, you will do it. Life is all about sacrifice. Don't expect people to go extra mile for you tomorrow
Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by Tallesty1(m): 7:40am On Dec 09, 2022
dominique:
Someone mistakenly transferred money to your account at 11am and within 4 hours they have contacted you? When did our banks get so effective? The same banks will tell the sender to come back in 7 working days after which nothing will still be done. Something fishy is going on, it seems those bankers are using your account for some fraudulent activities and they want you to show up and be the fall guy. Don't go alone to the bank and don't go to that specific branch, go to another neutral branch faraway. Go at your own convenience, don't let them pressure you into suspending your routine because of their error.
10 working days is the minimum for first bank
Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by DeKen: 1:42pm On Dec 09, 2022
Update: The First Bank Obudu branch guy called me this afternoon and I asked him about my cost of going to the bank and he said that my transport would be sorted out once I authorize the reversal.

Unfortunately I also had a flat tire yesterday while my spare is at the vulcanizer. I can't imagine myself trekking in this afternoon hot son to get to the main road (I currently live on my farm and its a bit off the main road).

I called back to ask if there's a way I can confirm he's a First Bank staff so that I can just transfer from a other account. He suggested video call and I agreed. Saw him in the bank and saw his ID card. He also showed me the customer who made the mistake. I was satisfied and asked for the customers account details and made the transfer.

When it was confirmed he said the customer would send my transport. I told him it wasn't necessary as I didn't go to the bank.
Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by DeKen: 1:55pm On Dec 09, 2022
fman:
No reason the cost ...
Please return the cash .
God will bless you
Its not really about the cost as much as the stress. I hate going into the banking hall.

When my Zenith card was trapped by an ATM last year December I didn't go to get another one till September this year and that was simply because I lost my only alternative card (GT card). I didn't bother to go and get a replacement GT card since September till it expired in October or so and auto replacement that I was notified about is still at the bank. I'm managing with the zenith which I later got when I had to go the banking hall for bulk cash.

That's how much I hate going to the banking hall. I miss the days when Zenith bank had high account opening limit and was not having queues.
Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by DeKen: 2:12pm On Dec 09, 2022
phemmyfour:
If you have conscience, you will do it. Life is all about sacrifice. Don't expect people to go extra mile for you tomorrow

I want 2 return the money its just the stress involved. I've found an easier way to do the refund by transferring from another account to the originating account.
Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by Kingkyle1(m): 2:54pm On Dec 09, 2022
DeKen:

I want 2 return the money its just the stress involved. I've found an easier way to do the refund by transferring from another account to the originating account.

Problem not yet solved.
If the said person who transferred it is mischievous, he can still make a case since the original reversal plan hasn't been effected. So pray he's cool headed too. If not, you just lost your 100k.
Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by ecolime(m): 3:50pm On Dec 09, 2022
DeKen:

You are a good person. Keep it up
Re: First Bank Stress. Must I Bear The Cost Of Erroneous Credit To My Account? by DeKen: 10:32pm On Dec 09, 2022
Kingkyle1:

Problem not yet solved.
If the said person who transferred it is mischievous, he can still make a case since the original reversal plan hasn't been effected. So pray he's cool headed too. If not, you just lost your 100k.

What will be the person's explanation of the 100k that I sent to her?

(1) (Reply)

How Addiction To Sports Betting Ruins Finances, Devastates Lives / How Much Is 1naira To Chinese Yuan / Business Idea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.