Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,787 members, 7,827,899 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road (967 Views)

After Learning Driving On Youtube Channels, I'm About To Pick Up A Driving Job / Flashing Or Blinking "D" Light On Honda Dashboard Issue / Car Driving On Three Wheels In Lagos (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road by julyb(m): 6:55am On Dec 12, 2022
Good morning, Honda CRV 2003 Dlight blinks when driving on bad roads.But l drive on tarred road without the the D Light blinking.

Kindly note l have replaced the solenoids on the gear after the scan shows P0795,

I have driven the car for than 1 hour on tarred road without the D light blinking, it starts blinking immediately l reach unbarred road with pot holes.

Has anyone experienced same issue?What's the solution?
Re: Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road by julyb(m): 9:41am On Dec 12, 2022
Hi
Re: Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road by Conner44: 9:51am On Dec 12, 2022
julyb:
Good morning, Honda CRV 2003 Dlight blinks when driving on bad roads.But l drive on tarred road without the the D Light blinking.

Kindly note l have replaced the solenoids on the gear after the scan shows P0795,

I have driven the car for than 1 hour on tarred road without the D light blinking, it starts blinking immediately l reach unbarred road with pot holes.

Has anyone experienced same issue?What's the solution?

Explain what other symptoms you experience with the gearbox and the way it functions once you’ve passed a bad road and the D light has started to blink.

Does the gear still change normally when you get back on a smooth road or do you have issues with the way it switches gears?

After the D light has started blinking, if you park and switch the vehicle off and back on would the blinking D light immediately stop flashing?
Re: Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road by julyb(m): 11:13am On Dec 12, 2022
Once l parked and off.it will stop blinking for about 10 minutes drive on the bad road. Assuming, it is a tarred road, it drives to my destination without blinking.

E.g l drove the vehicle from lbadan toll gate without any blinking issue till l got to the unbarred road at Sagamu. Then l parked and switch off the car.

I put it on again and drove without any issue till l got to the long bridge .l decided to pass the earth road due to the traffic on the long bridge, l notice the D Light started blinking immediately l left the express to the untarred road .
Re: Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road by Conner44: 11:32am On Dec 12, 2022
julyb:
Once l parked and off.it will stop blinking for about 10 minutes drive on the bad road. Assuming, it is a tarred road, it drives to my destination without blinking.

E.g l drove the vehicle from lbadan toll gate without any blinking issue till l got to the unbarred road at Sagamu. Then l parked and switch off the car.

I put it on again and drove without any issue till l got to the long bridge .l decided to pass the earth road due to the traffic on the long bridge, l notice the D Light started blinking immediately l left the express to the untarred road .

When/after you have passed the bad roads and the gear green D indicator starts to blink, if you decide to not switch off and on the ignition of the vehicle and continue to drive it to your destination on smooth roads with the D light still flashing DO YOU EXPERIENCE ANY ISSUE WITH THE WAY THE GEAR CHANGES ?
Re: Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road by julyb(m): 2:43pm On Dec 12, 2022
Driving With the blinking light,the movement will be slow, also the engine make more sound during those time. I also try to avoid driving for too long with the light blinking as advised.

Mind you l had to change the old gear as advised bymechanic because of this blinking D Light issue yet the blinking continues after mounting the new gear.
Re: Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road by Conner44: 3:56pm On Dec 12, 2022
julyb:
Driving With the blinking light, the movement will be slow, also the engine make more sound during those time. I also try to avoid driving for too long with the light blinking as advised.

Mind you l had to change the old gear as advised bymechanic because of this blinking D Light issue yet the blinking continues after mounting the new gear.

This is a classic issue with the transmission range switch getting bad. It would stop entering gears 1, 4 & 5 and make your engine sound louder as you have to apply more throttle input to take off from a standpoint or keep up with traffic. The vehicle would also find it hard to climb hills or high speed bumps easily due to loss of the first gear.

You may need to change the switch. When this issue happens after passing a bad patch of road where the vehicle rocks from left to right the gearbox will suddenly have issues switching into some certain gears and there might be jerks as it changes.

If you want to perform a test to confirm if it’s really the switch you should try to put your gear into drive but without allowing the green D light illuminate on your instrument cluster

What I mean is that there is a ‘sweet spot’ between your Neutral (N) gear lever switch point and your Drive (D) gear lever position that makes the gearbox switch into drive but won’t make the green D indicator light up on your dashboard , once you are able to slowly but meticulously push your transmission lever down between the N and D points you will feel when the vehicle ’jerks’ into the forward gear 1 without the green D light coming on. Once you feel this jerk you should stop pushing the gear stick, allow it to hang at that specific position/point and then start driving. All the gearbox indicators on your instrument cluster should be clear (off) as you’re driving even though the gearbox is on drive mode.

As you go on this test drive, ply the bad road areas exactly how you usually do that triggers the D light to blink, if it doesn’t start to blink anymore or it still continues to drive and select gears properly as you enter smooth roads then you’ve just confirmed that it’s your transmission range switch that’s the culprit to your problem. You will need to change it.

remember to perform this test above (especially if you don’t have a scanner on hand) before you start thinking of touching your transmission range switch it is a method I use in testing the transmission range switch on the 2003 accord when troubleshooting this your exact same type of issue and I feel it might also work for the crv as well.

Pic 1: how the dashboard gear indicators should look like in your instrument cluster while test driving.

Pic 2: the way to position your gear lever on the selector to put the vehicle into drive without making any green D light (or any other light at all) illuminate on your instrument cluster.

1 Like

Re: Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road by julyb(m): 5:24pm On Dec 12, 2022
Thank you so much for your taken to analyse this issue.What you described above is the exact problem l have been experiencing with the vehicle, the risk l took last time by bring the vehicle to Lagos from lbadan to look for a solution eventually cost me the last engine well as the engine knock.l thought the problem was over with a new engine but after 3 weeks of use,the problem resurfaces again.

Kindly assist me with the picture of the switch range so l can look for it and get it fixed.
Re: Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road by Conner44: 7:09pm On Dec 12, 2022
julyb:
Thank you so much for your taken to analyse this issue.What you described above is the exact problem l have been experiencing with the vehicle, the risk l took last time by bring the vehicle to Lagos from lbadan to look for a solution eventually cost me the last engine well as the engine knock .l thought the problem was over with a new engine but after 3 weeks of use,the problem resurfaces again.

Kindly assist me with the picture of the switch range so l can look for it and get it fixed.

Sorry to hear about that. Driving with this issue will surely cause problems for the vehicle as the engine will overheat along with its gearbox too.

The pictures below are what the switch looks like and it’s location on your gearbox. It can be found under a black plastic covering down low on the gearbox case just behind your drivers front wheel (you must remove the tyre and the mud guards to see the black plastic covering on the gearbox properly). Just show the picture to your mechanic and he should recognize the location of the switch.

You can first try to adjust it properly in case anything looks out of place or loose there both in it’s wiring and bolts. If a mechanic mounts a replacement gearbox and fails to set the transmission range switch or gear selector cable properly you can also experience the same issues.

1 Like

Re: Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road by julyb(m): 9:16pm On Dec 12, 2022
Thank you so much sir, l will check it out as advised and get back to you on the outcome.
Re: Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road by julyb(m): 6:38am On Dec 23, 2022
The blinking stops for like 3days after changing the gear selector cable.lt starts blinking again after l put on the AC for 500m drive.

As such, l have stopped using the AC for now but blinking still continue like b4 changing the gear selector cable
Re: Crv 2003 Blinking D Light While Driving On Bad Road by Conner44: 10:39pm On Dec 23, 2022
julyb:
The blinking stops for like 3days after changing the gear selector cable.lt starts blinking again after l put on the AC for 500m drive.

As such, l have stopped using the AC for now but blinking still continue like b4 changing the gear selector cable

Now is the time you need a scan. When next the light starts blinking try to take the vehicle to someone who can scan it and bring out the transmission fault codes for you to see. That is the only move you have to make right now to pinpoint your issue properly.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Producing Electric Cars In Borno Launches Factory In Abuja / Please Assist In Making A Decision As To Which Car To Buy / Cost For Clearing ACURA MDX 2010 Model Coming From The US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.