Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,001 members, 7,863,603 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:20 PM

What Should Kayode Do? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Should Kayode Do? (14125 Views)

The Big Show: Ffk Vs Ex Wife‘’mami-water Power,powerless Power’’.fani Kayode Co (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Socratiz: 1:37pm On Dec 14, 2022
A good advice has been given by those who said Kayode should ensure a measurable KPI is set for him by the organisation.

Managing an individual among a team can never be a KPI. What's important is the overall team performance and results, not the performance of an individual.

It is absurd that managing Peter is being made a KPI for him.

If this is not done Kayode should consider leaving the organisation.

3 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by joseandgreat: 1:37pm On Dec 14, 2022
oh wow it is well with kayode
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Agbegbaorogboye: 1:48pm On Dec 14, 2022
Saturnalia:
Kayode should receive sense and use his tongue to count his teeth.

The HoD and Peter are Church members and in every Church, there’s Church politics.

The Nigerian brand of Christians are extremely wicked & worse than the Muslims.

If I’m ever given the task to eradicate religion in Nigeria, I would start with the Church because Oloriburuku ni gbogbo won from top to bottom.

According to their Holy Book, judgement will start from the Church. E get why.

They will be hiding under the powerless blood of Jesus to perpetrate their witchcraft activities.

Every Sunday, you see them in their various Churches, looking clean & appearing like Angels, but - beneath that facade lies the most obnoxious & malignant hearts darker than charcoal and souls dyed in perpetual callousness - using their little influence, wealth & money to hound & witch-hunt any unfortunate individual that are unlucky to work within & around them.

Why else do you think Nigeria keep retrogressing in every aspect inspite of the millions of Churches that litter every nooks & crannies of our rotten society?

Show me any Nigerian Christian that is Christ-Like or behaves like Jesus Christ and I will show you the kingdom of Heaven.

If Kayode likes, let him not resign and go buy himself a car and drive independently on Bolt & Uber before those bastards devour the best of his years.
You sound very deep and cerebral
Quickly try out this sociological test
Go to Port Harcourt and shout Jesus is a fool
Go to Central market, Kano and shout Mohammed is a fool
Come back and give a detailed analysis of your experience in both cities
I'll advise you do that of Port Harcourt first though so you can have a chance to complete the test even if you may not be able to write the analysis of both at the end of the test
Besides all that, your vituperation shows you're worse than those you vilify
Get a brain

5 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by flakey94: 1:50pm On Dec 14, 2022
My own question is this- Does Kayode get a chance to appraise Peter? If yes , how does he rank him?

2 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Godmind2022(m): 1:52pm On Dec 14, 2022
I think Kayode should discuss his feelings with the manager and do same with Peter. Let Peter know that whatever we sow in this life, we are going to reap, that he does not like Peter's behaviour. He should know not sound to Peter as if he's talking to a subordinate, but as a human being and not just as a subordinate. He should speak sense to Peter and see if there will be a change from Peter and a change also from the boss, after his discussion with him. Hope with prayer, politeness and openness, this will help. I wish you the best of God's favor, there.

IyaTola:

Following a performance review exercise at organization XYZ, the HoD informed a unit supervisor (Kayode) that he would not be promoted because he had not managed his team member (Peter) well enough. Essentially, according to the HoD, Peter’s misbehavior was the responsibility of Kayode to fix and make him better.

Meanwhile, Peter is a choir member in the HoD’s church and they have a bond beyond work. Peter sometimes gets to the HoD ahead of any team member to give update on the team or report things that are going on within the team to the HoD. Despite knowing this, Kayode was not deterred. He took up the assignment of developing Peter with a personal determination to get the most out of him and make him a better person. This, Kayode did, dedicatedly.

However, Peter continued to misbehave but Kayode accommodated his excesses and tried not to make an issue out of the bad attitude and behaviour he continued to get from Peter who saw Kayode as a toothless dog. This had gone on for a while, and a few months down the line, Kayode had issues with his own direct Manager which they resolved and work went on without any major disruption or escalations.

Surprisingly, it came back during the next appraisal cycle and the HoD again denied Kayode’s promotion because, according to the HoD, “Kayode could not manage his Manager well enough”. At this point, Kayode was distraught because he felt confused. How come his Manager was not getting the same hard knock as he got in dealing with Peter? What is he missing?

Kayode was about dropping his letter of resignation and taking a pay-cut to join another organization.

What advice should I give Kayode?
How can he move past this?
What options are available to him?
What developmental areas would you recommend him to work on, if any.
Looking forward to receiving your comments and suggestions.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Rhozabeth(m): 1:56pm On Dec 14, 2022
Rubyjade:
I will advise Kayode to set KPIs in line with the organization's goal and also get his direct Manager to endorse them. Then appraise Peter at the first quarter if he is not performing he should be warned and if subsequently, it continues then the company will be forced to do the needful. Let his works be the judge.
My one cent
You sound very much like a HR practitioner!

3 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by baralatie(m): 1:57pm On Dec 14, 2022
stanisbaratheon:
Interesting discussion.

I think the KPI option given above is the best because there would be a basis to measure Peter's performance over time.
The problem is not performance indicator.the vaguely used term is "misbehaviour".and this term is been coined by the hod who is his head and receives information directly from the same peter
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by baralatie(m): 1:59pm On Dec 14, 2022
flakey94:
My own question is this- Does Kayode get a chance to appraise Peter? If yes , how does he rank him?

I doubt because if kayode has powers to appraise peter .it will be to a certain degree anyway
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by sweetman2022: 2:00pm On Dec 14, 2022
I would have gone with the KPI set rules recommended above my comment. However it is supposed to be a team effort though with culmination of individuals brilliance and dedication for a set goal to be achieved.
In light of this, it seems HOD has a smooth relationship with Peter in relation to their church alliance. So if Kayode can prove to his utmost superiors that HOD's assessment towards him is biased and cannot be used to measure his performance, then Peter and HOD will receive disciplinary actions from the necessary quarters.

1 Like

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by baralatie(m): 2:02pm On Dec 14, 2022
sweetman2022:
I would have gone with the KPI set rules recommended above my comment. However it is supposed to be a team effort though with culmination of individuals brilliance and dedication for a set goal to be achieved.
In light of this, it seems HOD has a smooth relationship with Peter in relation to their church alliance. So if Kayode can prove to his utmost superiors that HOD's assessment towards him is biased and cannot be used to measure his performance, then Peter and HOD will receive disciplinary actions from the necessary quarters.
That is if kayode has the superior higher than his hod that he can report to!
And that comes with it's pros and cons

1 Like

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by stanisbaratheon: 2:21pm On Dec 14, 2022
baralatie:

The problem is not performance indicator.the vaguely used term is "misbehaviour".and this term is been coined by the hod who is his head and receives information directly from the same peter

So it is not job related then. Sounds to me like someone is out to get someone.

1 Like

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Commanderinpips: 2:30pm On Dec 14, 2022
Saturnalia:

The HoD and Peter are Church members and in every Church, there’s Church politics.

If I’m ever given the task to eradicate religion in Nigeria, I would start with the Church because Oloriburuku ni gbogbo won from top to bottom.

They will be hiding under the powerless blood of Jesus to perpetrate their witchcraft activities.

Every Sunday, you see them in their various Churches, looking clean & appearing like Angels, but - beneath that facade lies the most obnoxious & malignant hearts darker than charcoal and souls dyed in perpetual callousness - using their little influence, wealth & money to hound & witch-hunt any unfortunate individual that are unlucky to work within & around them.

Why else do you think Nigeria keep retrogressing in every aspect inspite of the millions of Churches that litter every nooks & crannies of our rotten society?

Show me any Nigerian Christian that is Christ-Like or behaves like Jesus Christ and I will show you the kingdom of Heaven.

If Kayode likes, let him not resign and go buy himself a car and drive independently on Bolt & Uber before those bastards devour the best of his years.

You are sincerely sick and you need Jesus to heal you as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by sweetman2022: 2:31pm On Dec 14, 2022
baralatie:

That is if kayode has the superior higher than his hod that he can report to!
And that comes with it's pros and cons
Ofcos he has because HOD just manage departments , so he will definitely have someone who supervises the HOD's activities. Also, he is already receiving blames and devalued for his performance. Which cons will he be scared of again ?
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by otipoju(m): 2:45pm On Dec 14, 2022
Saturnalia:

I agree with everything you said except the part where you said the blood of Jesus is powerless.

I fear churchy people pass world people. The lies and evil in their hearts make Satan afraid.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by IyaTola: 2:50pm On Dec 14, 2022
Dear Leader, Boss, Oga Manager...,

It's few weeks to the end of 2022. Please include in your goals for 2023� to stop micromanaging people who work with you.

#micromanaging is when a manager/supervisor is overly involved in the day to day tasks of #people.

Micromanaging leads to people becoming disengaged and unproductive.

- It does not make people feel empowered.
- It is difficult for people to be #creative and innovative when they do not have autonomy.
- Micromanagement hurts employee retention, hinders performance.

Rather than micromanage your team, try to focus on their strengths, build trust, train them and allow them do the job.

No one likes being told what to do all the time(not even kids). People want some level of freedom in their #work .

People leave organisations due to being micromanaged. Every exit is not due to #japa .

Do better and stop micromanaging your team.
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by AntiWailer: 3:03pm On Dec 14, 2022
Kayode should not be unfortunate.

Taking pay cut to join another organization will tell the organization au desperate u are and they will use it some day.
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by phemmyfour: 3:11pm On Dec 14, 2022
IyaTola:

Following a performance review exercise at organization XYZ, the HoD informed a unit supervisor (Kayode) that he would not be promoted because he had not managed his team member (Peter) well enough. Essentially, according to the HoD, Peter’s misbehavior was the responsibility of Kayode to fix and make him better.

Meanwhile, Peter is a choir member in the HoD’s church and they have a bond beyond work. Peter sometimes gets to the HoD ahead of any team member to give update on the team or report things that are going on within the team to the HoD. Despite knowing this, Kayode was not deterred. He took up the assignment of developing Peter with a personal determination to get the most out of him and make him a better person. This, Kayode did, dedicatedly.

However, Peter continued to misbehave but Kayode accommodated his excesses and tried not to make an issue out of the bad attitude and behaviour he continued to get from Peter who saw Kayode as a toothless dog. This had gone on for a while, and a few months down the line, Kayode had issues with his own direct Manager which they resolved and work went on without any major disruption or escalations.

Surprisingly, it came back during the next appraisal cycle and the HoD again denied Kayode’s promotion because, according to the HoD, “Kayode could not manage his Manager well enough”. At this point, Kayode was distraught because he felt confused. How come his Manager was not getting the same hard knock as he got in dealing with Peter? What is he missing?

Kayode was about dropping his letter of resignation and taking a pay-cut to join another organization.

What advice should I give Kayode?
How can he move past this?
What options are available to him?
What developmental areas would you recommend him to work on, if any.
Looking forward to receiving your comments and suggestions.
Thank you.
Get Peter to work under another supervisor.

Ask for a transfer to another branch if any

Resign

1 Like

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by do4luv14(m): 3:49pm On Dec 14, 2022
Kayode should stay put, He should work smart, by Using incentives to bring Peter to order,
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by etrange: 4:08pm On Dec 14, 2022
I think Kayode is asking us what he should have asked the HOD. KPI discussions are supposed to be two-way. He should ask him why he's being punished for not managing his subordinate and also for not managing his manager. The response will help Kayode determine his next steps. He could escalate the issue (every appraisal process has an escalation path). And if it's obvious the organization is just looking for a way to make him resign, he should seriously consider that. Otherwise, they might mess up his mental health.

Again, who sets up his KPI? He should do that alongside his manager and he should work towards removing Peter's performance as an indicator. I know one's team management skills should be considered but the bas attitude/performance of a team member shouldn't be a reason to deny one his promotion.

1 Like

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by seunjungle1(m): 4:19pm On Dec 14, 2022
Bros, are you condemning Christian as whole or the ones in Nigeria?
Is your fault you found in Nigeria Christians a general anomaly or only found among Christians?
Talk now before I bring my own contribution to it

Saturnalia:

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by DennisEche(m): 4:22pm On Dec 14, 2022
Saturnalia:

coming from religion of bomb detonator
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by baralatie(m): 4:28pm On Dec 14, 2022
etrange:
I think Kayode is asking us what he should have asked the HOD. KPI discussions are supposed to be two-way. He should ask him why he's being punished for not managing his subordinate and also for not managing his manager. The response will help Kayode determine his next steps. He could escalate the issue (every appraisal process has an escalation path). And if it's obvious the organization is just looking for a way to make him resign, he should seriously consider that. Otherwise, they might mess up his mental health.

Again, who sets up his KPI? He should do that alongside his manager and he should work towards removing Peter's performance as an indicator. I know one's team management skills should be considered but the bas attitude/performance of a team member shouldn't be a reason to deny one his promotion.
grin
You are going too far nau!
You have asked the valid question

Who is the determinant of What kPI is to be used and how is it measured?
This now brings us back to "what is meant by Peter's misbehaviour as a performance index"
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by JECAE: 4:41pm On Dec 14, 2022
Saturnalia:

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH THE CHURCH AND CHRISTAINITY COME OUT CLEAR. DON'T HID UNDER A POST AS THIS TO EXPRESS BITTERNESS AGAINST THE PEOPLE OF GOD.

2 Likes

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by etrange: 4:42pm On Dec 14, 2022
baralatie:

grin
You are going too far nau!
You have asked the valid question

Who is the determinant of What kPI is to be used and how is it measured?
This now brings us back to "what is meant by Peter's misbehaviour as a performance index"

I seriously wouldn't call an escalation too far if I've been denied promotion twice in a row. It doesn't mean he'd eventually get promoted, but when the issue is tabled before HR, he'd get all the answers for those questions you considered valid. I believe that even if he gives us all the answers to the questions, there's still little we can do for him as we're not the HR.

I feel bad when employees who are not the "hot careers" are treated badly in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by IyaTola: 4:50pm On Dec 14, 2022
etrange:

I seriously wouldn't call an escalation too far if I've been denied promotion twice in a row. It doesn't mean he'd eventually get promoted, but when the issue is tabled before HR, he'd get all the answers for those questions you considered valid. I believe that even if he gives us all the answers to the questions, there's still little we can do for him as we're not the HR.

I feel bad when employees who are not the "hot careers" are treated badly in Nigeria.
This has been in existence in Nigeria for too long.

1 Like

Re: What Should Kayode Do? by baralatie(m): 4:58pm On Dec 14, 2022
etrange:

Well you have a point.
To table in writing and getting a response in writing about this issue will get the needed response but this is the problem ......I will wager a high stake [b] the hod will not mention for a second the issue of peter's misbehaviour as a reason (that one sure die because he knows what will hit him).he will dig out all kinds of stories and the meeting will become paddy ,paddy!
Why the hod will do what he is doing unless he is familiar with HR.
Unless he will officially lay a complaint that he cannot work with peter(valid reasons attached) to be part of his team and request peter to be moved somewhere else.And that is another problem on its own because it can be good or bad
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by Gracefollowme: 5:30pm On Dec 14, 2022
Who be Kayode...
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by tasceige(m): 5:58pm On Dec 14, 2022
leisuretym:
Hod is probably grooming Peter to replace kayode , he doesn’t like Kayode

Good one here..
What should Kayode do?

Have a documentation via mail of every coaching, one on one discussions, areas of improvement, grey areas, behavioral issues, sanctions and everything.

If next appraisal comes, Kayode should present all evidence, where he also had his managers in copy, HOD or HR.

NO ONE WILL HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU CANT CONTROL.

"Will" issue can not be corrected but knowledge gaps, learning deficit can be mentored and changed. My opinion is based on the fact that the teams has no direct KPI
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by leisuretym: 11:07am On Dec 15, 2022
tasceige:

Good one here..
What should Kayode do?

Have a documentation via mail of every coaching, one on one discussions, areas of improvement, grey areas, behavioral issues, sanctions and everything.

If next appraisal comes, Kayode should present all evidence, where he also had his managers in copy, HOD or HR.

NO ONE WILL HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU CANT CONTROL.

"Will" issue can not be corrected but knowledge gaps, learning deficit can be mentored and changed. My opinion is based on the fact that the teams has no direct KPI

Lots of things we can’t control in life, OP the probability that what you fear may eventually happen is very high, but HOD will also regret it and fire kayode if he himself did not loose his job for pushing kayode out, the higher authority may restore kayode back if he they have reason too depending on his performance when he was there because Peter will definitely ruin things in absence of Kayode.
This is why life itself is not fair, the bad girls get better husbands compare to the good girls.
Kayode should just keep his record clean , do his best and let things take care of itself.
Someone is watching, just isn’t time for him to talk yet, don’t think nobody is aware of your victimization
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by IyaTola: 6:28pm On Dec 15, 2022
Gracefollowme:
Who be Kayode...
The Camera man on bbnaija
Re: What Should Kayode Do? by JoeNL22(m): 9:10pm On Dec 15, 2022
author=Babastrong post=119170162]
Read well. I said "Sane Nigerians" obviously you are "insane" hence I won't engage with you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Will You Choose? - A 100k Per Month Job Or A Lucrative Physical Handwork? / Jumia Sales Consultant Scheme / Career Opportunities At Nestle Nigeria Plc – Apply Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.