Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,164 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked (7187 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Beautiful Girls See Which Is Numba-1 / Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Prestigious Alumni / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by folarin22(m): 5:30pm On Aug 30, 2011
Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger!

I'm sorry if you mis-read the title. However, it seems some, if not all, of Nigerian Universities websites are in danger.

I checked a hacking forum and saw that some hackers have already gained access to these websites.

With the ability to gain privileges into the websites means they can do and undo.

And example of what can be done is to change result score and so on.

I think we need to tight up our Web Security.

Thing is, most Nigerian websites are all vulnerable to hacking attempts.

And for those who know what SQL is, you should be familiar with this.

Novena University - Ogume, Delta State, Nigeria.

Main Website: http://www.novenauniversity.edu.ng

Vulnerable link: http://www.novenauniversity.edu.ng/pages.php?page_id='

I still have like 50 of them (both universities and government websites).

I won't disclose the information at the moment.

What do you think I should do guys?

Hack it, gain admin privileged and bleep the site or should I report these bugs?
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by kodewrita(m): 5:54pm On Aug 30, 2011
What would a right thinking nigerian do?
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by Seun(m): 7:08pm On Aug 30, 2011
Contact them, I guess.
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by dramenda(f): 7:24pm On Aug 30, 2011
look
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by Ucheosefoh(m): 7:27pm On Aug 30, 2011
Nawa o this one na internet boko harem
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by whitedrum: 7:31pm On Aug 30, 2011
Petition the necessary authorities here www.myopenpetition.com
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by atasteve: 7:40pm On Aug 30, 2011
The only solution is for the affected institutions to tighten up their securities.
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by Nobody: 7:41pm On Aug 30, 2011
yahoo-yahoo boy, wetin carry u go vulnerability testing websites?
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by Kayit(m): 7:47pm On Aug 30, 2011
Mehnn, I'll jst say u shld b vry careful, cos u'll hav an intension 2 hlp nd 'they will' b al ova u. Jst an advis. Coz d govt. nwadyz ar vry carles nd lyk showin der lawzy potentials on inosent dudes. Hala
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by DisGuy: 7:52pm On Aug 30, 2011
NO CAUSE FOR ALARMS GUYS, that how they were designed  grin

unattractive, little or no information,not interactive- apart from inputting your payment or 'scratch card'
email=recycle bin
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by WhyAWhy(m): 7:54pm On Aug 30, 2011
It's hosted on joomla and basically since the table prefix is always in the default jos_, it's easy to hack with mysql injection, I have suffered that kind of attack from 2 of my sites.

It would be too crappy if results are hosted online

What should happen is for online result to be the mirror version of a locally hosted backup database.

No cause for alarm
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by WhyAWhy(m): 7:57pm On Aug 30, 2011
If it is hosted on joomla the table prefix is always in the default jos_, it's easy to hack with mysql injection, I have suffered that kind of attack from 2 of my sites.

It would be too crappy if results are hosted online

What should happen is for online result to be the mirror version of a locally hosted backup database.

No cause for alarm
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by vokalguy(m): 8:05pm On Aug 30, 2011
Abeg u fit help me change my result?
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by ogasir2011: 8:33pm On Aug 30, 2011
Don't mind this bush, inexperience, immature poster. he probably learnt HTML code and php and he has come to Nairaland to show himself. That link did not prove he can hack. He does not have access to the cpanel of dat website. So he has not in anyway hacked. He only changed the source code of the front page,Which any php developer can do.

@OP
Go and learn hacking and so embarrasing yourself
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by nethacker(m): 8:39pm On Aug 30, 2011
Without solution to power problems, it'll be very hard to maintain IT infrastructure, hence lax security. We, especially the govt , lack good maintenance culture. As rich as nigeria is, our leaders can't invest in infotech. Little wonder that there is mass failure in the just-concluded WAEC. The govt/leaders blame it on all sorts but come to think of it, most of our leaders have traveled abroad and hv seen how things work. why r they so dumb dat they can't jst follow suit? Our universities website nvr display accurate information.some schools dnt even hv website  embarassed Students will hv to walk miles down to their respective depts for information that can be downloaded on the sch's website should there be proper IT facilities in place for the school to host its website. I jst tire for 9ja oo

vokal_guy:

Abeg u fit help me change my result?
olosi  grin grin grin grin grin grin

ogasir2011:

Don't mind this bush, inexperience, immature poster. he probably learnt HTML code and php and he has come to Nairaland to show himself. That link did not prove he can hack. He does not have access to the cpanel of dat website. So he has not in anyway hacked. He only changed the source code of the front page,Which any php developer can do.

@OP
Go and learn hacking and so embarrasing yourself
make d guy try him skill na, haba bros @ least him change front page source code grin grin grin
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by Thatdave(m): 8:45pm On Aug 30, 2011
nigerian universities dont store important information online! So Sawry hackers we arent yet that digital. Every file is still in the exams and records unit! The closest u can see online is 'click here to print result slip' grin
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by IbroSaunks(m): 9:17pm On Aug 30, 2011
folarin22:

I'm sorry if you mis-read the title. However, it seems some, if not all, of Nigerian Universities websites are in danger.

I checked a hacking forum and saw that some hackers have already gained access to these websites.

With the ability to gain privileges into the websites means they can do and undo.

And example of what can be done is to change result score and so on.

I think we need to tight up our Web Security.

Thing is, most Nigerian websites are all vulnerable to hacking attempts.

And for those who know what SQL is, you should be familiar with this.

Novena University - Ogume, Delta State, Nigeria.

I still have like 50 of them (both universities and government websites).

I won't disclose the information at the moment.

What do you think I should do guys?

Hack it, gain admin privileged and bleep the site or should I report these bugs?

hmm i see, i guess ur talking about mysql injection. i even tried assigning a value to the id variable and i saw database error on the home page, quite sloppy,
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by joudini(m): 9:26pm On Aug 30, 2011
Thatdave:

nigerian universities dont store important information online! So Sawry hackers we arent yet that digital. Every file is still in the exams and records unit! The closest u can see online is 'click here to print result slip' grin

U cant be too sure dave. A tertiary institution in Akoka, ok, let me bring it closer home, a tertiary institution that is not a university in Akoka, had her website completely defaced, and records completely wiped out. The records affected were students data forms, course forms, students departmental database etc. Their results were not hosted online though l hear Unillorin has hers online (a copy of course). The language on the defaced homepage was bulgarian. Well, it was a script attack and the back up had to be rolled over. Cant believe in 2011 and some IT staff refuse to update and subscribe to security emails to be a bit abreast of exploits and they still browse the web with the server! WhyAWhy is right too.online (a copy of course). The language on the defaced homepage was bulgarian. Well, it was a script attack and the back up had to be rolled over. Cant believe in 2011 and some IT staff refuse to update and subscribe to security emails to be a bit abreast of exploits and they still browse the web with the server! WhyAWhy is right too.
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by gistme24(m): 9:36pm On Aug 30, 2011
folarin22:

SQL Injection is something that is easily preventable . The developers , and am being very nice with that term, have no excuse for such an error. You don't have to be a hacker to attack such sites
@OP , buzz the school, bring it to their attention, offer your service, get paid and  grin to the bank , i hope .
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by otokx(m): 9:38pm On Aug 30, 2011
such a lame poster
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by DisGuy: 9:42pm On Aug 30, 2011
Imagine going to study MSc,Bsc computer science, internet security in those sort of universities!! absolute turn off!!
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by joudini(m): 10:03pm On Aug 30, 2011
gistme24:

SQL Injection is something that is easily preventable . The developers , and am being very nice with that term, have no excuse for such an error. You don't have to be a hacker to attack such sites
@OP , buzz the school, bring it to their attention, offer your service, get paid and  grin to the bank , i hope .

And he should be careful so he doesnt turn out to be the one paying his bail in a police station. All this disclosure stuffs are ethics that one should be careful of in Naija. Gat a dude dat was just randomly testing with burpsuite and he discovered a bug in a bank's website. Instead of the ediot sending an anonymous mail, he went to be bank himself. Like play, like play, dem accuse the guy o. The guy spent some time at the police station before he left that day. If u find a bug anywhere, send an anonymous mail, they have their IT staff, they will work it out unless they mail you back for your help. find a bug anywhere, send an anonymous mail, they have their IT staff, they will work it out unless they mail you back for your help.
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by joudini(m): 10:06pm On Aug 30, 2011
gistme24:

And he should be careful so he doesnt turn out to be the one paying his bail in a police station. All this disclosure stuffs are ethics that one should be careful of in Naija. Gat a dude dat was just randomly testing with burpsuite and he discovered a bug in a bank's website. Instead of the ediot sending an anonymous mail, he went to be bank himself. Like play, like play, dem accuse the guy o. The guy spent some time at the police station before he left that day. If u find a bug anywhere, send an anonymous mail, they have their IT staff, they will work it out unless they mail you back for your help. find a bug anywhere, send an anonymous mail, they have their IT staff, they will work it out unless they mail you back for your help.
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by joudini(m): 10:08pm On Aug 30, 2011
gistme24:

And he should be careful so he doesnt turn out to be the one paying his bail in a police station. All this disclosure stuffs are ethics that one should be careful of in Naija. Gat a dude dat was just randomly testing with burpsuite and he discovered a bug in a bank's website. Instead of the ediot sending an anonymous mail, he went to be bank himself. Like play, like play, dem accuse the guy o. The guy spent some time at the police station before he left that day. If u find a bug anywhere, send an anonymous mail, they have their IT staff, they will work it out unless they mail you back for your help. find a bug anywhere, send an anonymous mail, they have their IT staff, they will work it out unless they mail you back for your help. ead of the ediot sending an anonymous mail, he went to be bank himself. Like play, like play, dem accuse the guy o. The guy spent some time at the police station before he left that day. If u find a bug anywhere, send an anonymous mail, they have their IT staff, they will work it out unless they mail you back for your help. find a bug anywhere, send an anonymous mail, they have their IT staff, they will work it out unless they mail you back for your help.
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by joudini(m): 10:13pm On Aug 30, 2011
Hehehehe, na only once l post o.
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by babaowo: 10:44pm On Aug 30, 2011
@joudini u dey fear
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by Josyrogers(m): 10:57pm On Aug 30, 2011
log on to the federal ministry of transport website and see how real live blockage by ''Anonymous''. www.fmt.gov.ng
The site's been down for some days now. Reason given are corruption, greed and disregard for human life.
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by Josyrogers(m): 11:00pm On Aug 30, 2011
log on to the federal ministry of transport website and see real blockage by ''Anonymous''. www.fmt.gov.ng
The site's been down for some days now. Reason given are corruption, greed and disregard for human life. log on to the federal ministry of transport website and see real blockage by ''Anonymous''. www.fmt.gov.ng
The site's been down for some days now. Reason given are corruption, greed and disregard for human life.

Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by gee2(m): 11:46pm On Aug 30, 2011
u no get biro to take change ya result? òlé

see hackin yab
LWKMD
grin grin grin grin
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by Nebuchadnezzar(m): 12:40am On Aug 31, 2011
Josyrogers:

log on to the federal ministry of transport website and see real blockage by ''Anonymous''. www.fmt.gov.ng
The site's been down for some days now. Reason given are corruption, greed and disregard for human life. log on to the federal ministry of transport website and see real blockage by ''Anonymous''. www.fmt.gov.ng

SERIOUSLY?!
Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by toluxa1(m): 1:32am On Aug 31, 2011
I remember one time FUTMINNA were doing some kind of registration and at some date, they said it has closed. All they did was to remove the CLICK HERE TO BEGIN REGISTRATION link and replace it with a plain text REGISTRATION HAS BEEN CLOSED. All I did was check my history and get the old registration link, added some %2 his registrations number %2serial bla bla bla and Bingo! I was in the registration page. Na so I do the guy registration ooo. He is in 200Level now! grin

1 Like

Re: Website Of Nigerian Universities In Danger Of Being Hacked by soloqy: 3:09am On Aug 31, 2011
toluxa1:

I remember one time FUTMINNA were doing some kind of registration and at some date, they said it has closed. All they did was to remove the CLICK HERE TO BEGIN REGISTRATION link and replace it with a plain text REGISTRATION HAS BEEN CLOSED. All I did was check my history and get the old registration link, added some %2 his registrations number %2serial bla bla bla and Bingo! I was in the registration page. Na so I do the guy registration ooo. He is in 200Level now! grin

Clap for yourself for the wonderful feat.

All these wannabe hackers sha.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Uniben Post-UME Latest Info / 20 Degree Courses With Best Employment Opportunities In Nigeria / List Of Nigerian Universities With The Highest Number Of Professors (FULL LIST)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.