Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion (28209 Views)

How Can One Use The Tiptronic Gear Transmission?? / Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 Quattro Sport. / S8 (4,2l V8) + S4 6-speed DOES fit B5 A4! The Proof: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 31, 2011
Hi guys!

It's that time of year once more, approaching the end of summer, when projects are started, in anticipation of the coming show season.

I have recently taken delivery of an Audi S8 D2. Keen fans will know Audi S models are the performance versions of the various regular A cars. So it's like this:

Audi A3 (regular version) Audi S3 (performance version).
Audi A4 (regular version) Audi S4 (performance version).
Audi A6 (regular version) Audi S6 (performance version).
Audi A8 (regular version) Audi S8 (performance version).

The regular Audi S8 made its debut in 1994, and was Audi's flagship model at the time, replacing the ageing Audi V8 D11. It was a technical innovation, and was Audi's first foray into an all-aluminium space frame car. The original Audi Concept Car was first shown in 1993, and was dubbed the ASF (Audi Space Frame). The car shown to the press and public was in raw, polished aluminium, showcasing Audi's innovative concept. Aluminium is of course a lot lighter than steel, with Space Frame technology reducing weight even further

The resulting car is a full-size luxury sedan, similar in dimensions to the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, but a lot lighter. Less weight means better performance, and lower fuel consumption.

An image of the original Concept Car is shown below
:

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 31, 2011
The original line-up consisted of:

Audi A8 2,8 V6 12-valve (174 bhp).
Audi A8 3,7 V8 32-valve (230 bhp).
Audi A8 4,2 Quattro V8 32-valve (300 bhp).

The Audi S8 was launched in September 1994. It had a high-performance version of the Audi A8 4,2, with 340 bhp and standard Quattro drive.

Initially, all but the 4,2 were available in both FWD and Quattro guise, 4,2 was Quattro only.

In 1998, the engines were updated to 5-valve technology, and Quattro became standard on all V8 models, optional on V6. There were basic and Sport versions, Sport had lower ride height, deeper bucket seats, 3-spoke leather-trimmed steering wheel and subtle interior differences. Power output remained unchanged from non-sport models.

1998 line-up:

Audi A8 2,8 V6 30-valve (193 bhp).
Audi A8 3,7 V8 40-valve (260 bhp).
Audi A8 4,2 V8 40-valve (310 bhp)

Audi S8 was the last to receive the 5-valve engine, and was first available in late 1998, with power increased to 360 bhp.

Fans of RONIN, the movie starring Robert De Nero, Jean Reno, Stellan Starsgard, Natasha McLehone and Sean Bean will remember the principal car used in the Paris chase scenes was a 1995 Audi S8.
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 31, 2011
The Audi A8 were all available in RHD form as 4-speed automatic, 4-speed Tiptronic, and from 1997 5-speed Tiptronic. The range-topping S8 was only ever available as a beefed-up 5-speed Tiptronic.

In Continental Europe, the A8 / S8 followed the same trend as RHD models, though the 2,8 V6 and 3,7 V8 were also available as a 5-speed manual. The S8, both pre-facelift (340 bhp) and facelift (360 bhp) were also available with Audi's 01E 6-speed manual, coded DGV and FRN respectively. The United States and Canada also got the automatic / Tiptronic transmission as was available in Britain, though there have been subsequent conversions to 6-speed manual.

So far, within the United Kingdom, there have been no manual conversions. The reasons are quite clear - there was never a manual pedal box (with clutch pedal) made for RHD applications. The position in the footwell where a clutch pedal would normally reside, is taken up with a "bulge". This creates a foot rest, and on the other side, under the car is the starter motor. So no means of getting a clutch pedal in there!

Which leads us to my current project. . .
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 31, 2011
As many on here will know, I've always been an Audi fan, with Quattro AWD a must. I recently sold my A4 Quattro 3,0 V6 30-valve Quad Cam, in favour of an Audi S8 Quattro D2. A lovely car, lots of power, fully laden with all the toys. Just one aspec mars it, in my opinion. The speed-sapping, 5-Speed Tiptronic transmission.

I have made up my mind to convert her to 6-speed manual. I have most of the parts needed, and am sourcing the rest from Germany. Manual gives more control, is better on fuel, front suspension components and front brakes. The manual is lighter too, and is a shade ove 2 seconds quicker in the 0-60 mhp dash. Oh, and it's maintenance-free too, and will handle a lot more torque than the Tiptronic, which has a strict torque limit.

The spec of my Audi S8 Quattro is as follows:

Make: Audi.
Model: S8 Quattro.
Engine: 4,172cc V8 2 x DOHC 40V.
Fuel system: Sequential, Multi Point Fuel Injection.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Induction: Naturally aspirated.
Cylinder heads: 2 x light alloy.
Cylinder block: Cast aluminium.

TRANSMISSION

5-speed Tiptronic.
Drive: AWD.

PERFORMANCE

Power: 360 bhp.
Torque: 430 Nm (318 lb-ft).
0-60 mph: 6,5 secs.
Maximum speed: 155.3 mph (252 km/h). *Electronically limited*

RUNNING COSTS

21 mpg.
Euro Emission Standard: Euro III.
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:04pm On Aug 31, 2011
My Audi S8 Quattro spec (continued).

EXTERIOR

8,5"x18" Avus alloy wheels.
Electric tilt and slide sunroof, with pre-selector.
Solid aluminium door mirrors, with electric operation, electric folding and heated glass.
Rear-view mirror with aut-dimming feature (also controls door mirrors).
Bi-Xenon headlamps.

INTERIOR (COMFORT)

Cream nappa leather interior.
Recaro Sport front seats.
12-way electrically adjustable front seats.
4-way memory control for front seats, mirrors and steering column.
Electrically adjustable steering column.
Heated steering wheel.
Dual-zone climate control, with separate control for rear passengers.
Driver Information System (DIS).
Cruise control.
Electric rear screen blind, manual on rear door glass.
Audi Navigation Plus.
TV.
6-disc changer.
AM / FM radio.
Bose audio system (10 speakers).
Factory-fitted telephone.

INTERIOR (SAFETY)

Airbags x 10.
Dual-pane glass with heat reflective insert.
Collapsible steering column.

ACTIVE SAFETY

ABS
ESP
EBD

BRAKES

Front: Brembo 4-piston calipers, 345mm discs.
Rears: Girling single-piston calipers, 280mm discs

1 Like

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 31, 2011
Besides the conversion from Tiptronic to 6-speed manual, I will be upgrading the standard analogue television to digital freeview. I am also on the look out for a new set of wheels. The "Final Edition" Audi S8 was fitted with 8,5"x20" alloy wheels, with 255/35x20 Michelin Pilot tyres, so these are on the to-do list.

The bodywork is perfect, in Aqua Blue, so won't be touched. All I will do is have the lower sections of the fron and rear bumpers, as well as the blach sections below the doors color matched to the rest of the bodywork. Window tints on the rear is mandatory on all my cars, so this won't be any different. I will also give the suspension a subtle drop, about 15mm, so she sits just right.

The brake discs could do with replacement, the rears are scored, and the fronts are a bit warped, which give vibration when braking from speed. I will also clean up the calipers, and have them painted in Audi S8 standard Ebony Black.

There is a supercharger kit available for the Audi S8 Quattro, but haven't decided yet. A re-map of the ECU can increase power output to 380 bhp and 455 Nm. This will be in conjunction with a full stainless exhaust system, and ITG sports air filter. A re-map of the ECU will also delete the electronic speed limiter, so the restricted 155.3 mph top speed becomes. . .

Work in progress pictures will follow, as and when changes occur. For now, here are stock pictures, as she is right now. . .
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 31, 2011
The heart of the Audi S8 - 4,2 V8 40V Quad Cam, 360 bhp and 430 Nm torque:

Audi Navigation Plus, in television mode:

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:30pm On Aug 31, 2011
That self-shifter needs to go. 6-speed manual + 4,2 V8 = grin factor.

My preference over an all-black cabin:

Cabin view from the rear:

Front seats have 4-way memory settings:

Front seats have full electronic control:

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 31, 2011
Audi's revolutionary ASF (Audi Space Frame) is unmistakable:

Solid aluminium mirrors, with electric operation, electric folding, heated and auto-dim feature:

Trunk-mounted GPS receiver for SatNav:

7,000 rpm redline is unique to Audi S8, and sets her apart from regular A8 4,2:

Shame I didn't get the solar sunroof. Still,

, it's better than no sunroof at all:

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 31, 2011
S8 badge says it all:

So does subtle front badging:

Bi-Xenon headlamps - a bonus on dark, country roads, when the Audi S8's potential can be exploited to the full:

Catching a few rays:

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 31, 2011
Bodywork in unmarked Aqua Blue:

Unmolested rear end:

Aqua Blue - looks grey-blue on a dull day, and purpley-bluey in bright sunlight:

Looking good - a set of 20" "Final Edition" wheels will complete the look, with a subtle drop:

Aqua Blue, catching the sun:

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 31, 2011
The Audi S8 Quattro needs no introduction, "Ronin" raised her profile in spectacular form!

A good detailing will have her gleaming a treat:

A subtle drop is definitely on the cards:

Not "Ronin" Green, but still, !

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by eros(m): 5:08pm On Aug 31, 2011
Now this is what you call a speed demon.
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 6:51pm On Aug 31, 2011
^^^ Comrade Eros, where local speed regulations permit, of course. wink
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by oblo(m): 9:07pm On Aug 31, 2011
My head is still spinning, lemme grab a chair Siena,
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 31, 2011
oblo:

My head is still spinning, lemme grab a chair Siena,

LMAO! Is that good or bad?
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 7:53am On Sep 09, 2011
Yesterday, I took a look at the driver's side footwell, to assess clearance for the clutch pedal in my first steps to running RONIN with a 6-speed manual.

And just as I thought, the pedal cluster (brake and clutch) from a LHD Audi S8 6-speed manual won't fit. So a different approach is required. I'll be replacing the current wide brake pedal with a narrower one (manual) from an Audi A6 C5. This will give me a bit more room for a clutch pedal. So, I will be grafting in half an Audi A4 B6 pedal cluster, which will carry just the clutch pedal, and clutch master cylinder.

Happy days - 6-speed manual, here we come!
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by akinwole21: 9:31am On Sep 09, 2011
Subscribed to your Auto School
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 10:22am On Sep 09, 2011
akinwole21:

Subscribed to your Auto School

Thanks! wink
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 09, 2011
I spent this afternoon looking at solutions to the clutch pedal in Project RONIN. I have cracked it. I shall be adapting the manual pedal cluster of a 2005 Audi A6 Quattro, this way, the "bulge" in the footwell of my RHD Audi S8 remains. I don't want to take a hammer to the floorpan, or cut the bulge out.

Here are a couple of pictures, showing the offending bulge:

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Aare1(m): 6:53am On Sep 24, 2011
Oga Siena, been looking forward to an update on this topic nah. angry Hope all is well with the conversion project.
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 28, 2011
Aare 1:

Oga Siena, been looking forward to an update on this topic nah. angry Hope all is well with the conversion project.

All is well Comrade. Still waiting for some parts to turn up.
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by akanxpress: 11:34am On Sep 28, 2011
Seina
Pls can you kindly clarify this believe that Audi do have shock absorber problems easily. I hear esp. for Audi 80/90 and A4 that are bit common here. I don't know if this problem occurs for Audi as a brand or some selected models.
At times I encounter Audi on roads with the S/A pullout completely.
Are you aware of this issue,what is your comment and will you recommend Audi of any model to any?
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 28, 2011
akanxpress:

Seina
Pls can you kindly clarify this believe that Audi do have shock absorber problems easily. I hear esp. for Audi 80/90 and A4 that are bit common here. I don't know if this problem occurs for Audi as a brand or some selected models.
At times I encounter Audi on roads with the S/A pullout completely.
Are you aware of this issue,what is your comment and will you recommend Audi of any model to any?

I have been running Audi models since 1990, and till date, I've had no issues with dampers, on any model. Suspension dampers are service items, and subject to wear and tear, and like with any car, these will eventually wear out, if subjected to bad roads the wear rate will be faster.

The Audi A4 B5/B6 range is good, as well as the Audi A6 C6. Best engines to go for in view of the Nigerian terrain and maintenance culture are as follows:

Audi A4 B5: 1,6 I4 8V
1,8 I4 20V
2,6 V6 12V
2,8 V6 12V
2,8 V6 30V

Audi A4 B6: 1,6 I4 8V
2,0 I4 20V
2,0 I4 16V
2,4 V6 30V
3,0 V6 30V

Audi A6 C5: 2,4 V6 30V
2,8 V6 30V

I have deliberately left out turbocharged petrol and TDI models, due to lack of technical knowledge by the average Nigerian mechanic.
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 23, 2011
With winter just around the corner, I decided to do some maintenance on my Audi S8.

I replaced the timing belt when I purchased the car back in August. It had been replaced not long before I purchased her, but at least if I did the job myself, I'd now it was done properly, and have peace of mind.

I chose to do a minor service. The spark plugs fitted before I purchased the car are Bosch Longlife plugs, so good for 20,000 miles between services. A minor service is pretty much an oil and filter change. In addition, I opted for a flush, air filter and screen wash replacement.

Now a flush is a matter of personal choice. The idea is to add it to your old oil, run the engine for about 10 minutes, before draining. This breaks down the oil viscosity, and ensures very little residue is sitting in your oil pan, or clinging to the oil main galleries.
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 23, 2011
The first step was to get the car up on stands / ramps. Safety is key here - remember, you're going to be under the car, and should it collapse whilst you were there[i].[/i]..

The car also needs to be as level as possible, and the drain bung on the oil pan at the lowest point, to aid maximum drainage. I reversed the rear onto drive-on ramps, making sure the parking brake was firmly applied, and the gear selector lever was set to "P".

I then raised the front, one side at a time, using a 2-tonne trolley jack, then supporting the car with sturdy, 2-tonne axle stands. Never work under a car supported just by a jack. A jack is meant for lifting only.
The risks associated with working under a jacked-up car are huge, and cannot be over stressed!
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 23, 2011
Car in "service position." Rear wheels reversed onto ramp, front end jacked up, and supported on 2-tonne axle stands:

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 23, 2011
Parts for minor service. I only use genuine Audi parts to my car.

Key items I purchased:

Genuine Audi oil filter.
Genuine Audi oil filter O-ring.
Genuine Audi air filter.
Genuine Audi drain plug crush washer.

The washer is very important. As the name implies, it's a crush washer, which means it can be used once only. Once the plug has been tightened, the washer is crushed, and creates a perfect seal. If it is used a second time, it will allow oil to seep past.

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 23, 2011
I use Castrol Edge 5W-30 oil. This is fully synthetic.

The first step was to apply the oil flush to the old oil, and run the engine for 10 minutes, before draining.
Do not drive the car with oil flush in place!

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 23, 2011
For drainage, you'll need a pan large enough to take your drained oil. It should also be low enough to fit under the oil pan. My Audi S8 takes 7,5 litres of oil, I cut down a plastic trash bin, low enough to fit under my oil pan, yet large enough to take the drained oil, without making a mess.

First, you need to crack to drain plug loose. The Audi S8 plug needs an 8mm hex key to undo it. I used an 8mm hex key, with a 3.8" drive ratchet:

After breaking the plug loose enough to be removed by hand, I slid my make-shift oil drain pan under the S8's oil pan, and allowed the oil to drain.
Care should be taken when handling the old oil - it may be hot after running the engine for 10 minutes or more. Hot oil can scald your hands. Protective latex gloves are also advisable, as used engine oil can be carcinogenic:

It's worth noting, oil treated with engine flush will drain pretty quickly, as the viscosity would have been broken down.
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by merjo: 3:09pm On Oct 23, 2011
What is d meanin of dis
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 23, 2011
After the oil has drained, clean the drain plug carefully. I used white spirit. The sealing washer should be replaced with a new one, before the drain plug is replaced. I was glad I chose to do a minor service - the bozo that carried out the last oil change used the wrong sealing washer. It was a non-crush type, and made of copper. It was also too big. Both are shown for comparison - the correct one is the silver crush washer on the left:

Removing the old copper washer from the oil drain plug:

Fitting the new crush washer to the oil drain plug:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Mall Flood: Fixing A Car That Drove Through The Water / The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels / NPF Warning: Never Tow Your Keke NAPEP This Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.