Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,678 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion (28221 Views)

How Can One Use The Tiptronic Gear Transmission?? / Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 Quattro Sport. / S8 (4,2l V8) + S4 6-speed DOES fit B5 A4! The Proof: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 23, 2011
The cleaned oil drain plug, with new crush washer was then replaced:

Now the Audi S8, like most modern cars is fitted with a currogated paper oil filter, that is installed within a canister, which could be either plastic or metal. These canisters often have an oil drain plug. This has to be removed, before the canister / housing is undone. Failure to drain the canister first, will mean oil will spill, and run down your arm, once the canister is unscrewed.

The location will differ according to make and model, some vehicles don't have an oil drain plug on the oil filter canister. Some engines have the older screw-on cartridge type of oil filter. Location of the Audi S8's oil filter canister drain:

The oil filter canister drain plug, is removed with a 6mm hex key. I used a 3,8" ratched on a 6mm hex key to remove the drain plug.

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 23, 2011
With the oil filter canister now drained of oil, the canister itself. This is quite tight, and requires a 36mm 1/2" socket, 1/2" extention and matching ratchet to remove it. Oil filter canister removed, with old oil filter element. Note rubber O-ring on canister, which must be replaced with new one, to prevent oil leaks:

Old vs new oil filter. The old filter was a non-genuine item. It was slightly too long, so got crushed, and distorted when the bozo that did the last oil change forced the oil filter canister to fit:

New oil filter element and new O-ring installed in canister. The canister was thoroughly washed with white spirit, to remove carbonised oil deposits:

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 23, 2011
Oil filter canister, with new filter cartritdge was then refitted, before I filled the engine with 7,0 litres of oil. The filter takes close to a litre of oil, so level will drop after engine has been run. I fired up the engine, allowed to idle for 30 seconds, then switched off. I allowed the oil to settle (a minute is sufficient) then checked the level. It was quite low, and required 0,6 litres to bring the level up. So in all, approx. 7,6 litres. I checked for leaks, before getting the car off the stands and ramps.
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 23, 2011
I then tackled the air cleaner. The Audi S8 has the element in the cleaner housing, the housing cover is held on by four cross-head screws. Replacing the air filter element is pretty self-explanatory, simply remove four screws, lift cover enough to pull the old element free. Then slide the new element in, cover and replace the screws.

Care must be taken - the upper cover contains the MAF (Mass Air-Flow Meter) and care must be taken in handling it. On the Audi S8, the lower section houses the SAI (Secondary Air Injection) pump. Remove any debris in the housing, before fitting the new element in place.

Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 23, 2011
merjo:

What is d meanin of dis

And sir, what is the meaning of your query?
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Shagati(m): 8:34pm On Nov 03, 2011
Siena:

And sir, what is the meaning of your query?

LOL Siena! Chap is gobsmacked
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by uchenageme(m): 9:38pm On Nov 03, 2011
Subscribed
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 15, 2011
Shagati:

LOL Siena! Chap is gobsmacked

I honestly can't see why though. An oil change is as simple as it gets, easier than changing a wheel on some cars.
Re: Project D2 S8 - Audi S8 D2 5-Tiptronic To 6-Speed Manual Conversion by Nobody: 12:07am On Jan 15, 2013
Update 07th January 2013:

I was made an offer worth considering, and after a little though, made the decision to sell the S8. A Polish enthusiast came down from Swansea - a 3-hour drive to my home, paid cash, and drove her away, a happy man. smiley

I then decided to look out for a newer car, of course, an Audi with Quattro AWD, as virtually all my Audi's have been. And I picked up a gem, which marked the end of the Audi S8 project, and the beginning of a new project here:

https://www.nairaland.com/1162828/sachi-motorsport-audi-a4-avant#13837195

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The New Toyota TJ Cruiser Is A Giant Tool Box On Wheels / NPF Warning: Never Tow Your Keke NAPEP This Way / 14 Companies That Control The Auto Industry (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.