Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,368 members, 7,812,058 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run (13991 Views)

Coup Attempt In Burkina Faso / US Marine Osprey Aircraft With 4 Soldiers On Board Missing In Norway / Sudan Military Foils Coup Attempt, Dozens Of Soldiers Arrested (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by fergie001: 4:47pm On Dec 21, 2022
Gambian authorities have foiled a military coup attempt and arrested four soldiers plotting to overthrow President Adama Barrow's administration, the government said on Wednesday.

The Gambian Armed Forces High Command arrested four soldiers linked to the alleged coup after a military operation on Tuesday, it said in a statement.

Coup attempts are not uncommon in the Gambia, a tiny West African country of 2.5 million almost entirely surrounded by Senegal, which is still reeling from over two decades under former president Yahya Jammeh marked by authoritarianism and alleged abuses.

Jammeh himself seized power in a coup in 1994 and foiled several attempts to overthrow him before he lost an election in late 2016 to Barrow.

His ouster was widely viewed as a boost for democracy, although there has been growing frustration with Barrow's government for its failure to address poverty and rising living costs.

"Based on intelligence reports... some soldiers of the Gambian army were plotting to overthrow the democratically elected government," the government said on Wednesday.

SOURCE

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by fergie001: 4:50pm On Dec 21, 2022
From: Dr. Morro ML Touray (A Health Economist & Research Fellow, University of Surrey)

My brother who has been pursuing his BSc degree course at @UniOfGambia, currently on exams and not gone to Army Barracks for more than a year has been arrested yesterday accused of planning a coup in #Gambia. He was arrested when he went to collect his salary.

How can someone (a soldier with no ranks) who as not been going to the army camp for over a year and fully concentrating on his university programme organise a coup? My brothers and cousin brothers are well known opposition sympathisers and I see this as a witch hunt against those perceived to be opposition sympathisers and are in the army. it is well known that the past presidential elections in #Gambia were rigged. @BarrowPresident knows this and is now trying to purge all those perceived to be opposition sympathisers from security forces.

I condemn the arrest of my brother, in the strongest terms possible. Ebrima has NOT planned a coup and has not been part of any group that has planned a coup in The #Gambia. The alleged coup attempt in Gambia is simply bogus. @BBCNews @AlJazeera @cnnbrk @rt_com @trtworld ..

I urge @BarrowPresident to immediately release Ebrima. My brother has NOT been part of any coup in Gambia and NO coup has been planned in the country. There'll never be another dictatorship in #Gambia and anyone who attempts to do so must understand that it will be resisted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by sofeo(m): 5:07pm On Dec 21, 2022
Alright!
Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:07pm On Dec 21, 2022
How can someone (a soldier with no ranks) who as not been going to the army camp for over a year and fully concentrating on his university programme organise a coup? My brothers and cousin brothers are well known opposition sympathisers and I see this as a witch hunt against those perceived to be opposition sympathisers and are in the army.
Matters arising......
There are two sides to a story......sometimes 3.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:07pm On Dec 21, 2022
Bohhbeek:
Naija soldiers no fit do coup
U fit carry your street vigilantes with sticks, lamp, catapults and cutlass go do coup nah.

Dey play..... cheesy
Coup na ur mate

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by EmekaBlue(m): 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2022
Make the 3 run come Nigeria hide

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by money121(m): 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2022
Ok
Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by Houseofglam7(f): 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2022
shocked
Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by abrahambest(m): 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2022
Hmm. Who still plots a coup in this age and time

1 Like

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by youngmd: 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2022
Hope naija soldiers are seeing eir mate

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by Tobijays: 5:09pm On Dec 21, 2022
Suiiii !
Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by MimiSheWrote(f): 5:09pm On Dec 21, 2022
The "s" in Africa stands for stability.

8 Likes

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by bigdammyj: 5:09pm On Dec 21, 2022
Noted.
Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by ipobarecriminals: 5:10pm On Dec 21, 2022
sad
Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by KennethEnyi(m): 5:10pm On Dec 21, 2022
Useless Gambia
I wonder why they’re not part of Senegal yet…

2 Likes

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by chris4gold(m): 5:10pm On Dec 21, 2022
Ok na
Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by Lamasta(m): 5:10pm On Dec 21, 2022
What is it with some African countries and coup this days
Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by madridguy(m): 5:10pm On Dec 21, 2022
How can someone (a soldier with no ranks) who as not been going to the army camp for over a year and fully concentrating on his university programme organise a coup? My brothers and cousin brothers are well known opposition sympathisers and I see this as a witch hunt against those perceived to be opposition sympathisers and are in the army. it is well known that the past presidential elections in #Gambia were rigged. @BarrowPresident knows this and is now trying to purge all those perceived to be opposition sympathisers from security forces.
Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by rainmoredays: 5:11pm On Dec 21, 2022

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by Passionate888: 5:12pm On Dec 21, 2022
shocked
Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by tobenuel(m): 5:13pm On Dec 21, 2022
Ewu Gambia

1 Like

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by femlad97(m): 5:13pm On Dec 21, 2022
U no get get rank still dey rely on salary from govt and u go plan coup....o wrong...u Sha dey play
Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by Nairalander248: 5:13pm On Dec 21, 2022
A typical African country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by Nobody: 5:17pm On Dec 21, 2022
It's gradually getting to the turn of this Nijaria and when that happens, black sense all over the world will evolve!

2 Likes

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by BOLATINUBU01: 5:18pm On Dec 21, 2022
Their wahala
Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by dhope: 5:18pm On Dec 21, 2022
Lamasta:
What is it with some African countries and coup this days
The reason is bad leadership. If not because Nigeria military has been submerged in pool of corruption, there's no reason for bubu to still remain in aso villa by now.
What of president weah of liberia that travelled out of his country for almost two months and even watched his son playing for US throughout WC play in Qatar when Liberians are in economic pains?

4 Likes

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by Lamasta(m): 5:20pm On Dec 21, 2022
dhope:

The reason is bad leadership. If not because Nigeria military has been submerged in pool of corruption, there's no reason for bubu to still remain in aso villa by now.
What of president weah of liberia that travelled out of his country for almost two months and even watched his son playing for US throughout WC play in Qatar when Liberians are in economic pains?

Why can't they make use of the polls to vote them out of power instead of resorting to coup

1 Like

Re: Gambian Govt Foils Alleged Coup Attempt. 4 Soldiers Arrested, 3 On The Run by Dollarremix(m): 5:32pm On Dec 21, 2022
U fit carry your street vigilantes with sticks, lamp, catapults and cutlass go do coup nah. Coup na ur mate

My broda, you know say if some People
Hear about coup them go think na gathering of idiots and meeting of one minute.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ardern Announces Resignation: I Don't Have Enough To Do Justice To The Job / Maersk Suspends All Container Shipping To Russia / U.S. President Joe Biden Tests Positive For COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.