Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,087 members, 7,821,753 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

“when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian (2340 Views)

Ukraine Is "Finished" From An Energy Point Of View / Hamas Is Finished As Israeli PM Invokes Bibilical Old Age Amalek Curse On Them / Germany To Use Firewood, Coal If Russia Cuts Off Gas Supply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

“when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Biodun556(m): 7:01am On Dec 24, 2022
“When my firewood is finished, I will lie down and die,” says 70-year-old Nadezhda Vasilievna as she unlocks the wooden door of her one-bedroom house in the eastern Ukrainian village of Lazove. She puts the plastic jerrycans she is carrying on the floor. She keeps her overcoat on. It is almost as cold inside the house as in the street.

Towns and villages in the Donetsk region have seen heavy fighting and shifting front lines in recent months. Residents are now facing a new threat: a bitter winter without heating, electricity and running water. Most houses are empty, but those who have opted to stay make quick repairs to their damaged homes and burn wood in stoves to stay warm.

In the village of Korovyi Yar, only 80 people remain, compared to a pre-war population of 400.

Tatiana and her 10-year-old son are the only remaining occupants of a 40-flat residential building heavily damaged by shelling. She has covered the broken windows of empty flats with plastic, trying to keep her apartment warm. On a small firewood stove, she warms rainwater to wash their clothes.

While the region is famous for its rich forests, collecting firewood poses a serious challenge because mines and unexploded munitions threaten anyone who steps off paved roads. To help people stay warm, the International Committee of the Red Cross delivers quick repair material and dry fuel bricks across the region.

When the trucks arrive in Dibrova village, about two dozen people come to collect the fuel bricks. Among them is Maria Trofimovna, 82, who lives with her husband and son in a garage after their house was destroyed.

“We are alone on our street,” she says as the din of combat can be heard in the distance. “All the neighbours have left. … My son keeps telling me not to worry, that we will rebuild everything.”

Olga Andreevna, 70, a resident of Lazove, had to move out of her house because she is unable to keep it warm. Coming back to check on it, she finds her cat sitting on the porch, waiting to be let in.

“I moved here in the ’80s, and I spent every penny I earned to improve this house,” she said. “How could I have thought my old age would be like this?”

This photo essay is provided by the In

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2022/12/23/after-heavy-combat-in-eastern-ukraine-residents-brace-for-cold?sf174015050=1

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Biodun556(m): 7:03am On Dec 24, 2022
grin meanwhile, Zelensky is in US begging for more weapons

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Hezzyluv: 7:04am On Dec 24, 2022
Ukraine President should just negotiate with Putin and bring an end to this. The two of them has used people's lives to play game of throne hitherto and are obviously tired. I think by now, they might have learnt their leasons from it. If the war ends today, even Putin would say a BIG thank God. Because as it stands, if this madness continues, Russians fit make heavy protest against Putin and that might be end of the beginning for him.

3 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by rickpat(m): 7:06am On Dec 24, 2022
I knew winter would be bloody for these guys...

meanwhile the west are buying gas from Russia to sustain their electricity and stay warm in this winter..WHAT A WORLD!!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by thesicilian: 7:08am On Dec 24, 2022
Their clown president Zelensky has the power to stop the war at any time by coming to the negotiation table, but he's busy rubbing shoulders with the West and perpetuating the war to nurture his own selfish ambition

2 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by dazzlingd(m): 7:10am On Dec 24, 2022
They could take pictures but not save her

4 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Biodun556(m): 7:20am On Dec 24, 2022
dazzlingd:
They could take pictures but not save her

The person responsible for her safety is Zelensky

3 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by opamoses1: 7:35am On Dec 24, 2022
This is in Donetsk People's Republic. I thought Putin said DPR was now part of Russia forever and residents of Donetsk also voted 96% to be part of Russia.

Anyway, we dey UK dey enjoy the winter and we haven't froze to death as the Putards wished. grin

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Kingsnairaland(m): 7:38am On Dec 24, 2022
Biodun556:
“When my firewood is finished, I will lie down and die,” says 70-year-old Nadezhda Vasilievna as she unlocks the wooden door of her one-bedroom house in the eastern Ukrainian village of Lazove. She puts the plastic jerrycans she is carrying on the floor. She keeps her overcoat on. It is almost as cold inside the house as in the street.

Towns and villages in the Donetsk region have seen heavy fighting and shifting front lines in recent months. Residents are now facing a new threat: a bitter winter without heating, electricity and running water. Most houses are empty, but those who have opted to stay make quick repairs to their damaged homes and burn wood in stoves to stay warm.

In the village of Korovyi Yar, only 80 people remain, compared to a pre-war population of 400.

Tatiana and her 10-year-old son are the only remaining occupants of a 40-flat residential building heavily damaged by shelling. She has covered the broken windows of empty flats with plastic, trying to keep her apartment warm. On a small firewood stove, she warms rainwater to wash their clothes.

While the region is famous for its rich forests, collecting firewood poses a serious challenge because mines and unexploded munitions threaten anyone who steps off paved roads. To help people stay warm, the International Committee of the Red Cross delivers quick repair material and dry fuel bricks across the region.

When the trucks arrive in Dibrova village, about two dozen people come to collect the fuel bricks. Among them is Maria Trofimovna, 82, who lives with her husband and son in a garage after their house was destroyed.

“We are alone on our street,” she says as the din of combat can be heard in the distance. “All the neighbours have left. … My son keeps telling me not to worry, that we will rebuild everything.”

Olga Andreevna, 70, a resident of Lazove, had to move out of her house because she is unable to keep it warm. Coming back to check on it, she finds her cat sitting on the porch, waiting to be let in.

“I moved here in the ’80s, and I spent every penny I earned to improve this house,” she said. “How could I have thought my old age would be like this?”

This photo essay is provided by the In

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2022/12/23/after-heavy-combat-in-eastern-ukraine-residents-brace-for-cold?sf174015050=1
You ever get tired of watching the false narrative of western media?
Russia is weak, Russia has no technology, Russia has no ammunition, Russia ran out of missiles, on and on the merry go round goes and the USA citizens gobble it up and we all watch and read their hatred of Russian aggression, but yet reverse the situation that was overlooked for years to that of the USA and well everyone knows the USA would have a justified war and countries would murmur but nothing would be done.

2 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Kingsnairaland(m): 7:42am On Dec 24, 2022
opamoses1:
This is in Donetsk People's Republic. I thought Putin said DPR was now part of Russia forever and residents of Donetsk also voted 96% to be part of Russia.

Anyway, we dey UK dey enjoy the winter and we haven't froze to death as the Putards wished. grin
propaganda it is actually what is happening in Ukraine lol.

1 Like

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Zonefree(m): 7:49am On Dec 24, 2022
Comedian Zelensky allowed the West to play him like ludo.

2 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by obedience4(m): 8:06am On Dec 24, 2022
rickpat:

meanwhile the west are buying gas from Russia to sustain their electricity and stay warm in this winter..WHAT A WORLD!!

If you were wise enough to read, you will know that the place in question are territories were Russian troops hold

2 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by rickpat(m): 8:24am On Dec 24, 2022
obedience4:

If you were wise enough to read, you will know that the place in question are territories were Russian troops hold
I'm not wise enough.. Mr.wise if there we as no war..would those regions be held by Russian troops there by making them have electricity ish and heading those freezing to death....

for the records,you maggot..don't quote me if you can't be civil in your conversation...have a great holiday

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Kingsnairaland(m): 8:27am On Dec 24, 2022
rickpat:
I'm not wise enough.. Mr.wise if there we as no war..would those regions be held by Russian troops there by making them have electricity ish and heading those freezing to death....

for the records,you maggot..don't quote me if you can't he civil in your conversation...have a great holiday
Lol.

1 Like

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Biodun556(m): 8:31am On Dec 24, 2022
opamoses1:

3 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Biodun556(m): 8:32am On Dec 24, 2022
obedience4:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Aladdin1(m): 8:45am On Dec 24, 2022
The womans word broke my heart.she never imagined that her old age would be miserable because of war caused by men. God may i not suffer in my old age. may my old age be pleasant and joyful in jesus name.amen.

3 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by joyandfaith: 12:06pm On Dec 24, 2022
Biodun556:

The person responsible for her safety is Zelensky

And a fool took her picture to score political points. Why did Putin decide to invade a sovereign country? War has not solved any problem.

1 Like

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Biodun556(m): 12:32pm On Dec 24, 2022
joyandfaith:

And a fool took her picture to score political points. Why did Putin decide to invade a sovereign country? War has not solved any problem.

A sovereign country must not be a menace to another sovereign country. Ukraine was becoming threat to Russia by joining NATO and EU. NATo promised Russia not to expand to eastern Europe but the agreement was broken

2 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by joyandfaith: 12:45pm On Dec 24, 2022
Biodun556:

A sovereign country must not be a menace to another sovereign country. Ukraine was becoming threat to Russia by joining NATO and EU. NATo promised Russia not to expand to eastern Europe but the agreement was broken
No nation can become a threat to a nuclear-armed nation like Russia. Do you know Russia is setting preconditions to invade Kazakhstan.? Because Kazakhstan is aligning with the west economically.
Due to Russia threat, Finland and Sweden are getting closer to join NATO. May Russia would invade them too.

1 Like

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by emmancipated(m): 12:59pm On Dec 24, 2022
But this invasion is senseless show of supposed power. For those of you berating Zelensky, you'll still do the same unless you're that much of a coward. The whole situation is like, you living as a landlord in your house, and a fellow neighbour landlord is invading your property to take control, just because he doesn't like your friends.

1 Like

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Kingsnairaland(m): 1:10pm On Dec 24, 2022
I think I heard Nigeria voted neutral when un was trying to blacklist Russia in the assembly

That how Ukraine should be always be neutral and enjoy this short life that no one passes 200 years in this generation

Joining nato is an act of war simple.

1 Like

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Biodun556(m): 1:18pm On Dec 24, 2022
joyandfaith:

No nation can become a threat to a nuclear-armed nation like Russia. Do you know Russia is setting preconditions to invade Kazakhstan.? Because Kazakhstan is aligning with the west economically.
Due to Russia threat, Finland and Sweden are getting closer to join NATO. May Russia would invade them too.

Nuclear weapon doesn't guarantee victory for Russia if the enemy is very close to the territory

US blockade Cuba in 1962 when Soviet union was building missiles there. The blockade lasted till Soviet union dismantle the missiles in Cuba , a sovereign country

1 Like

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by opamoses1: 2:06pm On Dec 24, 2022
obedience4:

Biodun556:

OP. You are confused. The lozove (lazove) the article is referring to is a VILLAGE in DPR and not the CITY called Lozova (over 50,000 people) in Kharkiv oblast.

Your article clearly says village and DPR too but you are twisting the article to suit your narrative.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by opamoses1: 2:09pm On Dec 24, 2022
Russian soldiers are freezing to death but OP won't post that.

4 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Houseofglam7(f): 2:49pm On Dec 24, 2022
cry
Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Appleyard(m): 3:34pm On Dec 24, 2022
rickpat:

So true...all at the detriment of the ordinary Ukrainian people whom they're using to fight their proxy war. Just recently, Poland and Germany have asked for more Russian oil to sustain their suffocating energy and economic problems. But Ukraine is bleeding and they keep pumping weapons into the country so it can get destroyed. I so much pity that old man. I hope this war will end soon.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Appleyard(m): 3:38pm On Dec 24, 2022
opamoses1:

Anyway, we dey UK dey enjoy the winter and we haven't froze to death asu the Putards wished. grin

Donetsk main city is different from the Donetsk Oblast... Just as it is in the Zaporhizhiya region and Kherson region. There are places where the Russians control (which are much larger) and places controlled by the Ukrainians. The only region that can be said to be 100% under control of the Russians is the Luhansk region.

2 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by Rexymania(m): 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2022
Hold Zelensky and the west responsible

2 Likes

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by joyandfaith: 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2022
Biodun556:

Nuclear weapon doesn't guarantee victory for Russia if the enemy is very close to the territory

US blockade Cuba in 1962 when Soviet union was building missiles there. The blockade lasted till Soviet union dismantle the missiles in Cuba , a sovereign country
Blockade with no bloodshed is better than barbaric killings going on in Ukraine.
With level of nuclear weapons Russia has ammased, no nation can launch war against her.
Russia is using excuse to harass her neighbours to submission.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: “when My Firewood Is Finished, I Will Lie Down And Die,” - Ukrainian by rickpat(m): 3:45pm On Dec 24, 2022
Appleyard:

So true...all at the detriment of the ordinary Ukrainian people whom they're using to fight their proxy war. Just recently, Poland and Germany have asked for more Russian oil to sustain their suffocating energy and economic problems. But Ukraine is bleeding and they keep pumping weapons into the country so it can get destroyed. I so much pity that old man. I hope this war will end soon.
hopefully it ends soon... really sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos Of Ground Force One, The U.S President's $1.1 Million Armored Bus! / Clinton Vs Trump Face Off (debate) / King of Eswatini Reported To Have Fled Country Amid Protests for Democracy (PIX)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.