Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,065 members, 7,810,972 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:47 PM

Help Review Cnwebmasters.org - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Help Review Cnwebmasters.org (943 Views)

Pls help review my new website / Help Review This Forum Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Review Cnwebmasters.org by mmartins(m): 12:45am On Aug 26, 2007
Hi Guys,

My friend and I have just completed working on this website Community of Nigerian Webmasters, please let me know your first impression and general thoughts about it.

Both negative and possitive comments are appreciated in advance, especially from members that use other internet browsers like fire fox, netscape, aol and so on.

Also, if you are interested, we are looking for positive minded webmasters to join us in the campaign.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Help Review Cnwebmasters.org by my2cents(m): 1:54am On Aug 26, 2007
martins,

it's crisp and clean, the way I like it.

A few things:

1) In FF, the text in the upper left (example "default calendar", "about us", etc) as well as the link above the text are cut off from view

2) Under "help" menu, you have "contac us". I am sure this is a grammatical error.

3) Your calendar shows that it is Sunday, August 26. I am in the US and as at the time of this post, it is 9pm on August 25th (saturday). I would assume you would be using the system time in your code as opposed to your local time. If you are having problems with the calendar, I would suggest you use google calendar. I use it on all sites I have done with a calendar of events. It comes complete with the ability to create recurring events. It's typical google - they create the code, give it out for free and store the data. All you do is reuse.

4) In your header graphic, why the so many references to CIW? There are other certifications - brainbench and microsoft, to mention but a few.

i hope these help.
Re: Help Review Cnwebmasters.org by Afam(m): 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2007
Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.cnwebmaster.org.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
Re: Help Review Cnwebmasters.org by mmartins(m): 6:26pm On Aug 26, 2007
martins,

it's crisp and clean, the way I like it.

A few things:

1) In FF, the text in the upper left (example "default calendar", "about us", etc) as well as the link above the text are cut off from view

2) Under "help" menu, you have "contac us".  I am sure this is a grammatical error.

3) Your calendar shows that it is Sunday, August 26.  I am in the US and as at the time of this post, it is 9pm on August 25th (saturday).  I would assume you would be using the system time in your code as opposed to your local time.  If you are having problems with the calendar, I would suggest you use google calendar.  I use it on all sites I have done with a calendar of events.  It comes complete with the ability to create recurring events.  It's typical google - they create the code, give it out for free and store the data.  All you do is reuse.

4) In your header graphic, why the so many references to CIW?   There are other certifications - brainbench and microsoft, to mention but a few.

i hope these help.

Thanks for your response my2cents.

The site was almost perfect in IE, until your pointer, to see things the way you see it, I had to download and install both NN and FF, then I realized the cause of the problem is the Navigation Code written in JS. This has now been fixed, FF, NN and Opera.

The "contact us" has been rectified, the "Carlendar" issue has been noted and will be rectified, though we're still umming and aring about the use of carlender features on the site, well, maybe for the web awards or something.

Lastly, regarding the graphics, I'm not sure of the legalities of using the others you mentioned , but so far, we have the right to use the ciw images.

We'll definitely appreciate it if you can help point to where to get other uncopyrighted certs and logos.
Re: Help Review Cnwebmasters.org by mmartins(m): 6:31pm On Aug 26, 2007
Hello Afam,

I just checked the link out in FF, it now works.
Here is the link; http://www.cnwebmasters.org

Regards
Re: Help Review Cnwebmasters.org by my2cents(m): 1:06am On Aug 27, 2007
oga martins,

Note for the future: always test your website out on all major browsers before release. Am I saying I don't make mistakes? Mba. However, by testing my sites across all major browsers upfront, I eliminate a majority of bugs. I guess based on my years of experience, I tend to find things that others ignore. I have been "beaten down" by quality assurance pple in my career so many times that like "Thing Fall Apart"'s hunter of the eneke bird, I have learnt to shoot without missing.

I know, especially for those of us back home, the argument is that majority of the world uses IE. That is still no excuse not to check out your sites on the others. Their argument is akin to saying that since most Nigerians typically eat beef suya, then all suya joints should have just beef. That just doesn't hold water. There are those who eat goat, mutton, chicken, etc. Strive to cater to all, but of course have your main target audience in mind.

Having the patience and discipline to do such things like unit/integration testing across all major browsers is what separates the "PhD" web developer from the "BSc" web developer or the proverbial wheat from the chaff.

I hope this helps.
Re: Help Review Cnwebmasters.org by mmartins(m): 2:13am On Aug 27, 2007
oga martins,

Note for the future: always test your website out on all major browsers before release.  Am I saying I don't make mistakes?  Mba.  However, by testing my sites across all major browsers upfront, I eliminate a majority of bugs.  I guess based on my years of experience, I tend to find things that others ignore.  I have been "beaten down" by quality assurance people in my career so many times that like "Thing Fall Apart"'s hunter of the eneke bird, I have learnt to shoot without missing.

I know, especially for those of us back home, the argument is that majority of the world uses IE.  That is still no excuse not to check out your sites on the others.  Their argument is akin to saying that since most Nigerians typically eat beef suya, then all suya joints should have just beef.  That just doesn't hold water.  There are those who eat goat, mutton, chicken, etc.  Strive to cater to all, but of course have your main target audience in mind.

Having the patience and discipline to do such things like unit/integration testing across all major browsers is what separates the "PhD" web developer from the "BSc" web developer or the proverbial wheat from the chaff.

I hope this helps.

my2cents , you have a point and I have taken your emphasis on board. The problem was I forgot to upload the JS files for FireFox and Netscape, hence the distorted navbar and like I wrote, the files had been uploaded, ta.

(1) (Reply)

Comparing Sql Query Results / Bbc Website Have Definitely Done It This Time / Please Urgent Help Here Php

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.