Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,973 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution (21321 Views)

New Naira Notes Unveiled (Pictures) / Who Is Sabotaging Nigerian Sugar Master Plan? / Nigerian Customs Sabotaging Igbo Businesses - Ohanaeze Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by dre11(m): 12:23pm On Dec 27, 2022
By Bamidele Ogunwusi

Twenty-three working days to the deadline for Nigerians to return old N200, N500 and N1,000 notes to the banks for new ones, there are indications that top executives of banks are frustrating the distribution.

Investigation by Daily Independent revealed that instead of giving their customers the new banknotes, the new notes are only seen in parties and in the hands of politicians.

As a result of this, Nigerians have cried out that the banks are not releasing the new notes to them as they asked the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to curb this ugly development.

The CBN governor, Godwin Eme­fiele, said on December 8, 2022, when he visited President Muhammadu Buhari in Daura, Katsina State, that banks in the country have taken delivery of the redesigned new notes for onward distribution to Nigerians.

Remarking that the CBN was prepared for the transition from the old notes to the new notes within the stipulated period, Emefiele said, “I said De­cember 15 when we announced it. We said that will be when we issue the cash but we have to move it forward as the president unveiled it on November 26 and yesterday (December 7, 2022) the banks have received the new cash and will start dispensing them.

“I can assure everyone that it will go round but let us be calm and be patient. Luckily, the old currency continues to be legal tender until January 31 2023. Both the “painted and unpainted” will be legal tender and by January 31, unpainted ones will not be useful to you”.

The new twist is that the banks are not ready to give it out to Nigerians but to their friends and cronies, especially politicians.

It was gathered that some bank MDs are using their in­fluence to help politicians who hitherto stashed huge sums of money at home for a huge cost.

A concerned Nigerian, Mrs. Idayat Omowale, said her husband who works with at politician in Lagos came home last week with new notes and told her that “a top banker” brought it to his boss.

Stakeholders, who spoke to Daily Independent, said the CBN needed to monitor the banks to ascertain the level of the distribution.

“I think the CBN should not allow the banks through their MDs and executives take advantage of the new notes distribution. They should take action to be able to achieve the desired goal of ensuring that currency in circulation are returned to the banks”, said Dr. Joseph Aniagolu, a retired university lecturer.

To Comrade Moses Omi­yale, a human rights activist, “The new notes are also being hoarded by politicians with the connivance of top bankers”.

Currency in circulation seems not to have reduced significantly after almost two weeks of the commencement of the distribution.

Aisha Ahmad, Deputy Gov­ernor, Financial System Stability of the CBN, while briefing the House of Representatives recently said the bank is doing all in its capacity to ensure that the goal of the redesigned new notes is not defeated.

In her presentation, she said currency management was a key function of the apex bank as enshrined in section 2(b) of the CBN Act, 2007, noting that the integrity of the currency and efficient supply of banknotes were indicators of a performing central bank, especially in predominantly cash-based economies such as Nigeria.

Highlighting the various challenges facing currency management, which had affected the ability of the CBN to efficiently carry out its mandate of issuing legal tenders, Ahmad said the challenges have continued to grow in scale, with the attendant consequences on the bank’s policy effectiveness, if left unaddressed.

According to her, these challenges include wholesale hoarding of naira banknotes by members of the public.

“An observation supported by statistics shows that cash outside banks consists of over 80 percent of the currency in circulation, worsening shortage of fit banknotes in circulation. This portends negative public perception of the bank and increasing threat to financial system stability.

“High and increasing cost borne by the bank: A review of the cost of currency man­agement from 2017 to 2021 indicated an average increase of over N10 billion per annum and over 90 percent of currency management costs are attributed to banknote production.

“This affects the CBN and other participants in Nigeria’s currency management sector (banknote production, storage processing, distribution activities and banknote destruction),” she said.

https://independent.ng/bank-execs-fingered-sabotaging-new-naira-notes-distribution/

Nlfpmod

3 Likes

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by sweetonugbu: 1:09pm On Dec 27, 2022
Any policy Nigerian politicians cannot manipulate does not exist.

67 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Nbote(m): 1:20pm On Dec 27, 2022
When I told ppl that the new notes will still end up in the hands of the same ppl hoarding billions before now. The bank execs will simply bring the new notes to the same ppl in their houses. Let's all stop fooling ourselves. Every law and bill is for the masses who don't know ppl in power

110 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Skillsnigeria: 1:31pm On Dec 27, 2022
Hmmm, I've not seen the new currency note face to face, yet have withdraw money from ATM countless times this November and December

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Kobicove(m): 4:06pm On Dec 27, 2022
Nigerians are Nigeria's problem! angry

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by mrsage(m): 4:16pm On Dec 27, 2022
This is what you get when you choose to implement a long term policy with a short timeline.

Let's enjoy the reward.

Sincerely the must be something really wrong with our current CBN Governor and the government in general

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Ishilove: 5:24pm On Dec 27, 2022
ATMs are still dispensing old notes and as I am here, I am yet to lay my eyes on any new note. We are not a serious country

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Pennywise2: 6:24pm On Dec 27, 2022
Thank God it's note their hoarding not air or. Life.
I'm happy christ is free and living by him is free too. It might have been worse.

Let them keep hoarding

16 Likes

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by ObiOkpor(m): 7:27pm On Dec 27, 2022
E no go better for tinubu

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Fiscus105(m): 11:52am On Dec 29, 2022
We only seeing people commiting offences here and there and no correspondence punishment meted out for offenders.

.....not until we start do the needful, we will continue dancing backward.

7 Likes

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Akinsete19(m): 11:53am On Dec 29, 2022
I have never seen the new currency with my eyes

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Triangles1(m): 11:54am On Dec 29, 2022
If you like change the intestines of Ng money you can't beat Ng, infact you just give room to MN laundry's.

2 Likes

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by fred94: 11:55am On Dec 29, 2022
Emefele Always blaming someone.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by arantess: 11:55am On Dec 29, 2022
Pennywise2:
Thank God it's note their hoarding not air or. Life.
I'm happy christ is free and living by him is free too. It might have been worse.

Let them keep hoarding
something that tinubu is already using to issue bribe

2 Likes

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Tobijays: 11:56am On Dec 29, 2022
Nigeria is gone! Nothing can save this country! My fellow countrymen are thieves! To those shouting Peter obi, when he loses you will hear a lot within that LP party so many infighting so many suing and counter suing, ther affairs will be public soon.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by fineboynl(m): 11:57am On Dec 29, 2022
…when will told them to is policy will not work as its dead on arrival they called us names.

All this pointing of fingers is only a justification. The policy is the worst and biggest of all failed policy of the cbn in the history of Nigeria .

There are sometimes that will never work here. Not every policy should be copied from other countries. The same thing with coins.

The cbn need to understand cultural differences. We are Africans with different environments and mindset. Even the electronic transaction has it own failure and bigger problem. My transaction of two different bank is running into 3 weeks now gtbank and wema bank. The money has nor be resolved or returned. So many Nigerians do not believe in cashless economy. The infrastructure is not just there yet.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by ImoleNaija: 11:57am On Dec 29, 2022
Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Tboymessiah(m): 11:58am On Dec 29, 2022
NasoLifeBe!!!
Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Alexiiydon: 11:59am On Dec 29, 2022
Gullible people said this is to target tinubu na them still Dey cry after then see am for his hands law is made to target people who are not in the crew like obi where obi go change his embezzled funds now when he was a governor

5 Likes

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Nsonaso(m): 12:00pm On Dec 29, 2022
I knew it
Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Didi2d(m): 12:02pm On Dec 29, 2022
But what's really going on?

Is it that our leaders are purposely making things hard for Nigerians?

No sight of the new naira note till now

The CBN governor should be investigated, he should be held responsible

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by nymphomaniac(m): 12:04pm On Dec 29, 2022
I have seen just the new 1000 and 500 naira notes. The 200 is the scarce one. I admit the notes are not circulating. I believe the scarcity is a ploy by the CBN to limit naira use but basic needs must be met with cash. We can’t transfer to pay Agbero from POINT A TO B

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by naijapikin2(m): 12:09pm On Dec 29, 2022
What do you expect?

If electricity materials are tampered with, who will you suspect?.. fishermen?
Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Belleful: 12:09pm On Dec 29, 2022
Mugu fall, guy man wak. The more you look d less u see. CBN don scam some people

2 Likes

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Aladdin1(m): 12:10pm On Dec 29, 2022
sweetonugbu:
Any policy Nigerian politicians cannot manipulate does not exist.
Very true
Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by Kingpele(m): 12:12pm On Dec 29, 2022
Hahaha corruption in government is literally embedded in every strata of government organisations due to the corrupt politicians or politically exposed MDs thier bosses, until we vote in compassionate leaders that will contented with thier pay and allowances and use all the resources within our great country to develop it...not those arrogant elites that will tell us shutup after looting public funds
Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by SouthSouth1914: 12:15pm On Dec 29, 2022
This policy will implode like Nigeria on a crash course.
Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by backtovillage: 12:17pm On Dec 29, 2022
Some idiots will still blame Tinubu.

2 Likes

Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by NothingDoMe: 12:19pm On Dec 29, 2022
backtovillage:
Some idiots will still blame Tinubu.
well......he normally needs a lot of cash during election periods so like one bullion van with new notes go don reach him house.
Re: Bank Execs Fingered Sabotaging New Naira Notes Distribution by SexyBabe001: 12:26pm On Dec 29, 2022
As expected... Bank execs are the problem

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Angry Customer Sues First Bank To Court Over Mastercard Fraud / Learn How I make Money Online as a Freelancer / The Success Of Tecno: A Business Lesson For All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.