Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,820 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? (5997 Views)

10 Things All Nigerians Wishing To Travel Overseas Must Know / 70 % Of Nigerians Overseas Are Igbos / Nigerians Overseas Please Sign Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 10:27pm On Feb 28, 2006
Second Or Third Class Citizens?

I have heard that term a lot from Nigerians @ Home, on Nairaland, and other Nigerian chatrooms ETC. They call Nigerians Living abroad, second class or third class citizens"In a Foreign land". I will like someone to explain what a second or third class citizen is. I was born in Nigeria, and i am Now a Naturalized US Citizen. From your vantage point,what citizen am i? In the USA or in Nigeria today. Please explain what a "Second Class" Citizen is? And what are the criteria for being a First,Second, third or Fourth Class Citizen.

Someone called me A Fourth class citizen in the USA in another post, And i do not know what she meant. She has refused to give me a definition nor an explanation.

Kokscity needs Help please!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by sage(m): 5:01am On Mar 01, 2006
Most Nigerians are third class citizens in a third world country(nigeria) so people should stop talking bullshit about nigerians living in other places and making more than all their mates in naija. In fact most of those talking that bullcrap are playerhaters.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 1:40pm On Mar 01, 2006
@Sage

This girl called Nikinash said "I am at best a fourth class citizen in the USA"(Desperate to travel to Europe Post, in Travel). I have told her to explain and she has docked the question. I think you have a point there sage. Minimum wage in Yankee is better than what more than 70% of the country makes. I think she is Hating on me. Joftech also called me a "Second class citizen" I called him out on it months ago,but i still do not know what they mean by "second or Third class citizens"

Kokscity
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Rhodalyn(f): 1:46pm On Mar 01, 2006
you do not need to worry about what they called you wink
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by IAH(f): 9:17pm On Mar 01, 2006
If you are not a Second-class citizen, then what are you? Is Yankee your fatherland? lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by princeonx: 9:22pm On Mar 01, 2006
Dude to be honest with you, I'll rather be a 7th class cityzen in America than a 1st class cityzen anywhere in Africa especially Nigeria. I have been a U.S cityzen for almost 5 years now and no one has called me anything other than my name! maybe behind my back but still, I don't think that will bother me as long as I have food on my table, roof over my head, my health/medical is paid and taken care of, my family back home are doing/living good! finally and very important, I'm save! can go anywhere anytime of the day or night! whatever class that is is fine with me!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by princeonx: 9:24pm On Mar 01, 2006
IAH, I like that! it might sound rude but that's the bitter truth! we're foreigners here! like it or not!!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by vichel(m): 9:30pm On Mar 01, 2006
well if u are a citizen, u are a citizen, not first class, second class or what ever. Let me ask u one question, What is the difference between a Nigerian who is a Naturalized American, and the Governor of California Arnold Swazenegger. Nothing, they are both citizens, and can both be governors of a state, except being a president of the country
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Roscodaddy(m): 9:37pm On Mar 01, 2006
@prince_onx ,Kokscity,sage-This is not a time to fight and tell us how much you earn and all that,please stop dissing those who can't afford to be where you are, success cannot be measured by how much you have,please and please again we are here to talk like mature people,Nigeria is your country whether you like it or not .Please try and make other nigerians who are not as comfortable as you claim you are feel like human beings.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 9:49pm On Mar 01, 2006
@IAH,Prince-Onx

A lesson in History. Everyone here in the US is from somewhere else. The Governors of Michigan and California like Vichel said are from Canada and Austria respectively. Are they too second or third class citizens?

@IAH

Please define a Second class citizen for me .

Thankyou
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 10:01pm On Mar 01, 2006
@Roscodaddy

Nigeria has people from Sierra-Leone,Ghana,Ivory coast ETC who now call Nigeria home. Are they two second class citizens? Some of them are third or Fourth Generation Nigerians. My point is that there are Yoruba's in Ghana and Hausa's in Chad, people move all over the world. I work full time, pay taxes religiously, Registered to vote, own a home, stay out of trouble, I love American Football, Eat burgers, ETC. I am not sure what a Second Class does or is.I just want a  simple definition of what a Second or Third class citizen is, and i will move on.

Kokscity Loves America more than Nigeria, Is that a crime?
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by raldsfield(m): 10:54pm On Mar 01, 2006
you don't have to go far to find a definition, or conditions to be 2nd class or 3rd class citizen.

My people back at home are 2nd,3rd, 4th,, 100th , citizen in their own country.

once you are outside your village, i think you are not a 1st class citizen anywhere in Nigeria except Obj,

is your dad or you are PDP connected. If not why are the Igbo, chased from the North, the Igbo ran from the west in 1993. The Hausa's chased from the east . It is simple they know they don't belong.

Infact being 1st class citizen is temporal.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by chinani(f): 12:28am On Mar 02, 2006
undecided i'm not happy w/ this post at all---->if you dont feel like a 2nd class citizen, why let the words get to you. you seem to have your mind made up, so PLEASE LET IT GO. PLEASE.

ROSCODADDY:

@prince_onx ,Kokscity,sage-This is not a time to fight and tell us how much you earn and all that,please stop dissing those who can't afford to be where you are, success cannot be measured by how much you have,please and please again we are here to talk like mature people,Nigeria is your country whether you like it or not .Please try and make other nigerians who are not as comfortable as you claim you are feel like human beings.

i agree w/ ROSCODADDY. just like you may have been hurt/sensitive to being called a 2nd class citizen, others may have the same reaction when you talk about present location/wages. there is no reason to state the obvious or imply class superiority. i also live in america and reading your post was VERY EMBARRASSING. embarassed please stop.

what the world lacks is not so much money, love, or unity, but EMPATHY. to live and TRY and see how it would feel to live as someone else before we open our mouths. yes, it is EMPATHY that leads to these other triumphs in life.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Roscodaddy(m): 12:42am On Mar 02, 2006
Kokscity:

@Roscodaddy

Nigeria has people from Sierra-Leone,Ghana,Ivory coast ETC who now call Nigeria home. Are they two second class citizens? Some of them are third or Fourth Generation Nigerians. My point is that there are Yoruba's in Ghana and Hausa's in Chad, people move all over the world. I work full time, pay taxes religiously, Registered to vote, own a home, stay out of trouble, I love American Football, Eat burgers, ETC. I am not sure what a Second Class does or is.I just want a simpledefinition of what a Second or Third class citizen is, and i will move on.

Kokscity Loves America more than Nigeria, Is that a crime?

@Kokscity,I don't care what you own and I really don't want to know,if you like own the whole of Texas,it doesn't do much in as much as you cannot affect the lives of people who are around you,who cares if u pay your taxes how does that affect the life of a common man over here in Nigeria,if you like own ten mansions,I am sure you still have the poor around you,begin to see life in a different way and I believe you will be very proud of yourself,have you stopped for a moment to see or think about what others own or they are doing without making so much noise,am sure you have none of those things or do the so called things you have listed,be a man and stop rapping.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Hotstepper(f): 1:23am On Mar 02, 2006
i have told or rather said dat i know how Kokscity feels about Nigeria and it won't do anyone good or bad nomatter wat u say. even da kind u.s u r proud cuz u've gotten da citizenship, well good luck but nomatter wat, u r still one of us. am happy 4 u 4 been a u.s citizen, u.s is not all dat datz wat u have 2 know, eva mind it can be great in economic aspect but there r countries dat r still beta and they have 2 know wat 2 do 2 poverty in their country and street ppl and stop going 2 war distrubing ppl's peace. not hating on any country but let da truth be told, i have watched ur comments about 9eria and itz alwayz da same, sorry if 9eria didn't do it 4 u when u were dere
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 1:35am On Mar 02, 2006
@Rosco

I am  NOT telling you i have all these things for bragging sake, and i am sorry if it made you feel insecure. I do not even care myself, that i have what i own. My point was that i live like any other citizen here and i have never had any one call me a second class citizen.In America we have low income,middle class and upper class/upper income earners. That is solely based on income. I am not sure that after all that noise you made, you have still been able to define what a Second class citizen is, from a Nigerian in Nigeria's point of view. I am not here for those Nigerians back home, I do not give a Bleep what they think. I just want a damn definition. If you cannot give me one, then sh*t the hell up and let someone who can, use that space. There is no reason to lie about anything. I am not asking for your blessing, i just want a definition, and not a loud empty sound.

@Chinani
Please read your post again, and then rewrite it, so i can understand. U have thrown me for a loop. I do not know if you are coming, or going. Please break it down for me. I never said it hurts, i just want some to define what a second class citizen is, and it does not seem like you can do that. But if you can please feel free to take a stab @ it. For the record, i did not lie about the wages. Minimum wage in California is $7per hr and average annual income in Nigeria is like $780 per year. How can Nigerians in America, be Second class citizen to Nigerians @ home? I am confused!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 1:39am On Mar 02, 2006
@Topic/Everyone

This is not an argument of Poor versus rich, or Nigerian versus Nigerian American. I just would like someone IN NIGERIA, TO PLEASE GIVE ME A DEFINITION OF A SECOND CLASS CITIZEN. I AM NOT SURE WHERE YOU GUYS ARE HEADING WITH THIS, I JUST WANT A SIMPLE DEFINITION. I HAVE CHECKED WEBSTERS AND THERE IS NO DEFINITION OF A SECOND CLASS CITIZEN. I NEED UR HELP, I AM NOT THE UN,OR WFO. I AM NOT GOING TO SOLVE THE HUNGER PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD. I JUST WANT A VERY SIMPLE. CLEAR AND TO THE POINT DEFINITION OF WHAT A SECOND CLASS CITIZEN IS, PERIOD!

Damn!!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 1:44am On Mar 02, 2006
@Hotstepper

At least i am consistent abi? Whether Nigeria went good or bad for me, is not the Point here. I have not even started to diss anybody yet. I just need a definition or an example of a second class citizen. That is all i asked for. The sermon is not necessary madam. I am proud to be American. And I know it does not change the price of Garri. I know that, OK. I just need one of these Nigerians in Nigeria to educate me on what a SECOND OR THIRD CLASS CITIZEN IS.

Is that too much to ask? It is no secret that i do not give two Bleep's about Nigeria, i just want a simple definition and i will be on my way!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Hotstepper(f): 1:46am On Mar 02, 2006
oya, 9erians in 9eria, oga dey wait 4 una ooo, make una hurry up ooooooo, actually, i wanna hear 2 to know where i belong tongue
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by chinani(f): 2:27am On Mar 02, 2006
@ kokscity

i dont want you to know (necessarily) if i'm coming or going as far as being a 2nd class citizen is concerned. if you re-read my post i think you will discern that i dont think i should answer your question since you KNOW YOUR OWN MIND. if YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE NOT A 2nd class citizen that what more is there for me to say you know yourself.

also, i did not think or state that you lied about wages. instead, i wrote that the introduction of wages/class into the post is counterproductive.

in addition, it does not matter to me whether you or anyone else says that "it hurts" or not. i can READ BETWEEN THE LINES. everyday men (mankind) has emotions we do not EXPLICITLY express. i read (btw the lines) that you were hurt/offended/aghast at being called a 2nd class sent. if i was wrong, then i was wrong. but i was kinda offended at you throwing your "bidness" everywhere--->talking about your money, etc. it smacked of immaturity and left a bad taste in my mouth.

lastly, i think i am as much a 2nd class citizen here in the U.S as i am in Nigeria, yeah, wrap your brains around that. why? b/c of history, economics, ethnicity, education, and on and on and on. dont want to be too personal, but, KOKSCITY, did you go to an AMERICAN U? if so, did you take any anthro/socio classes or anything comprobable. if so, then you know that the US is just as CORRUPT and eager to DISENFRANCHISE folks as naija and that's REAL! (get on that michael eric dyson if you aint heard.) i say this b/c i am humbled by the little i know, not b/c i know e'erything as some profess.

now, for your question---->i do not care for your question and so i wont answer it explicitly. that's my perogative. i'll only say that NAIJAS can be 2nd class citizens in the U.S. the same way AMERICAN INDIANS can. the same way JAPANESE (americans) can (research their "internment"wink. the same way ARABs/MUSLIMS can.

shall i say more? or has my coming and going made you dizzy
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Roscodaddy(m): 2:37am On Mar 02, 2006
Chinani,

My correct systa,you be correct babe joo,you mind this fake guy wey just dey yarn dust say he get this and he get that na today we dey see people wey own houses for everiwhere,he just dey form and he no sabi say he don tay when man dey swallow eba,how you dey sha,make u take care oh na chicks like nuna when we need.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 2:39am On Mar 02, 2006
@Chinani

I liked your sermon, but can you define what it means to be a second class citizen. Or give me an example of a second class citizen. Is Arnold a second class citizen because he is from Austria? Or is the boy that picks grapes in California a second class citizen because he is illegal and from El-Salvador or Mexico? What makes one a second class citizen versus a citizen? Is it Income,Race,countryof origin,Level of Education, Athletic skills,skin color?

Chinani please seperate your emotions and sentiments, from facts. You said you are a second class citizen in America and maybe in Nigeria abi? How so?
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 2:43am On Mar 02, 2006
@Rosco

I fit dey yarn dust, but u know say you still never answer my question sha. This one wey you dey do like woman wrapper dey lick her chicks like 404, u never still give me answer. Forget House mata first, just answer my question!!!!! Na me dey pay for my house, no be u. No make am worry u.Just take style answer my question make mata end.

Kokscity
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Roscodaddy(m): 2:46am On Mar 02, 2006
@Kokscity

I am sorry to say that you're so dumb,I am not iinsecure at all in any means,am very much comfortable as in comfortable,I can leave my country anytime I want to and go to any country in da world if I so desire so stop talking trash and riding a high  horse,we are not fools here despite the fact that this is a faceless forum,but one thing is sure you are a bloody Nigerian and there is no way ,I repeat no way,you can change that fact,if you want a defination,go to school and get one instead of u trying 2 show off what you don't have.

@Rosco

I am  NOT telling you i have all these things for bragging sake, and i am sorry if it made you feel insecure. I do not even care myself, that i have what i own. My point was that i live like any other citizen here and i have never had any one call me a second class citizen.In America we have low income,middle class and upper class/upper income earners. That is solely based on income. I am not sure that after all that noise you made, you have still been able to define what a Second class citizen is, from a Nigerian in Nigeria's point of view. I am not here for those Nigerians back home, I do not give a Bleep what they think. I just want a damn definition. If you cannot give me one, then sh*t the hell up and let someone who can, use that space. There is no reason to lie about anything. I am not asking for your blessing, i just want a definition, and not a loud empty sound.

@Chinani
Please read your post again, and then rewrite it, so i can understand. U have thrown me for a loop. I do not know if you are coming, or going. Please break it down for me. I never said it hurts, i just want some to define what a second class citizen is, and it does not seem like you can do that. But if you can please feel free to take a stab @ it. For the record, i did not lie about the wages. Minimum wage in California is $7per hr and average annual income in Nigeria is like $780 per year. How can Nigerians in America, be Second class citizen to Nigerians @ home? I am confused!!!!!!
[quote][/quote]
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Roscodaddy(m): 2:48am On Mar 02, 2006
Oh u neva even pay for your house finish na die u dey so oh,make u try pay finish and make we wey dey naija tell u wetin we don accquire outright
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 2:52am On Mar 02, 2006
@Rosco

Fine, I never go school before, i no sabi read book, abeg helep me with the definition. I no get money pay for school fees. I dey beg abeg.

@Chinani
I am not sure that we are on the same page here. I do not care who gets hurt or not. If you do not or maybe cannot answer the question, then i am not sure why you wrote that long love letter. I need people that can give me points and back it up with facts. I did not ask you for a lecture, just a simple definition.

You people have put Kokscity on Tilt!!!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Roscodaddy(m): 2:56am On Mar 02, 2006
Oh so u sabi write pidgin,I think say u no dey shit before yeye boy,no Nigerian fit call you second class citizen for your country Naija na your own.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 2:58am On Mar 02, 2006
Rosco

If you wan ask me question about my house and mortgage balance, i will be happy to tell you. If you want my address of my house in P.H, i will give you. But right now i just want a simple definition from you. Why we dey fight over my property sef? Na your own? Just answer the one wey i ask you for here,leave story for teller. The one wey i ask you u never fit answer, na my house you wan talk about.

Wahala!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 3:03am On Mar 02, 2006
@Rosco

Abi U go give me the definition or not? Make i come dey go shower sef! Na Nigerians for Nigeria dey call me second class citizen. I just wan know wetin dem mean finito!
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Roscodaddy(m): 3:06am On Mar 02, 2006
Kokscity:

Rosco

If you wan ask me question about my house and mortgage balance, i will be happy to tell you. If you want my address of my house in P.H, i will give you. But right now i just want a simple definition from you. Why we dey fight over my property sef? Na your own? Just answer the one wey i ask you for here,leave story for teller. The one wey i ask you u never fit answer, na my house you wan talk about.

Wahala!!!!

I no wan know the meaning because he no concern me,I also no wan sabi your balance,all this one u dey do gra gra,if I find out say u be one of my juniors for skool for PH,you go kneel down hands up and close your eyes and open your ears,hope say u no go UDSS.
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Kokscity(m): 3:11am On Mar 02, 2006
@Rosco

No na FGC wey i go."Pro Unitate" And i no fit be your Junior,(At least i hope not).
But anyway, you no fit answer my question abi? Alright make you dress make the next man answer am now? I am itching to know for real.

Kokscity has a question, is there any man,woman or child out there that can help?
Re: Nigerians Overseas: Second-class Citizens? by Hotstepper(f): 3:23am On Mar 02, 2006
"PRO UNITATE" ppl beta respect, make we 4get about diz end class citizen definition ohhh

(1) (2) (3)

Nigerian Doctor Regrets Japa-ing To Canada. Video Included / * / Having A Baby In Uk Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.