Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove (20598 Views)

Visit To The Sacred Snake Temple In Benin Republic / Visit To The Osun Osogbo Sacred Grove In Osun State / My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by jswitch(m): 10:29am On Jan 03, 2023
So, on the 1st of January this year, I decided to visit the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Grove. This historic and religious site is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in Osogbo, the Osun state capital.

Visiting the grove from within or outside the state is not a herculean task due to its location which can easily be accessed directly from the city centre.

From Olaiya flyover bridge (the city centre) or wherever you are within Osogbo, you won’t have a hard time getting a commercial motorcycle popularly known as Okada to commute you to the grove which is located at Isale-Osun, very close to the palace of the city’s traditional ruler, the Ata-Oja of Osogbo.

Osun-Osogbo Grove boasts of a rainforest vegetation that covers an area of 75 hectares surrounding it. It is on a raised percel about 350 metres above sea level. This is a breathtaking organically enveloped cultural landscape.

2 Likes

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by jswitch(m): 10:42am On Jan 03, 2023
Entrance fee to the grove is 200 Naira. However, you’ll have to pay an extra (negotiable) fee if you are going in with your mobile phone or any other device for the purpose of taking pictures. I.e 1,000 Naira for smart phones and 3,000 Naira for digital cameras. These prices are negotiable.

After paying the required fees, (at your request), a tour guide will take you round the grove and explain the religious and historical meaning and relevance of all aspects of the grove. Though it is not mandatory to pay the tour guides but, most tourists show appreciation to them (tour guides) in monetary terms.

11 Likes

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by jswitch(m): 10:48am On Jan 03, 2023
At the shrine inside the grove, you’ll find the Osun worshipers who have made it a tradition of demanding money from visitors before allowing them to enter the shrine-whether for sight-seeing or religious supplications. Don’t be surprised if they reject your 200 Naira and insist you drop at least a thousand Naira inside their offering box.

6 Likes

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by jswitch(m): 11:05am On Jan 03, 2023
The Osun-Osogbo Sacred Grove is not just a place for adventure for tourists but also for research and religious worship; especially the devotees of Osun, the river goddess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwbVQlJAeLg

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by jswitch(m): 11:13am On Jan 03, 2023
One of the most fascinating moments for most tourists at the grove whenever they visit is the fun-moment with the over a thousand monkeys that live inside the forest. Visitors have made it a tradition of giving bananas to the monkeys; hence the monkeys there are always excited and expectant when they see tourists around.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by illicit(m): 12:12pm On Jan 03, 2023
Nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by VeryWickedSimp: 12:15pm On Jan 03, 2023
OP what did you really go there for this New Year?

40 Likes

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by EyezofGod120: 1:03pm On Jan 03, 2023
grin
Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by CTee1: 1:03pm On Jan 03, 2023
Our culture and pride... Nice one las las bro

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by dimexy247(m): 1:03pm On Jan 03, 2023
Nice

2 Likes

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by triple996(m): 1:04pm On Jan 03, 2023
See peaceful environment unlike the east

11 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by marvellous2222: 1:04pm On Jan 03, 2023
Adeleke has a lot of work to improve here

3 Likes

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by Daviestunech(m): 1:05pm On Jan 03, 2023
Proud omo osun....

I need to find time to visit this place.. but Lagos hustling no give person time

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by aylagos(m): 1:05pm On Jan 03, 2023
Ba
Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by Blake755: 1:05pm On Jan 03, 2023
Wow nice place and great art work

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by Ken4Christ: 1:05pm On Jan 03, 2023
When he starts experiencing demonic oppression, he will start looking for pastors to stress for deliverance.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by isaaczik: 1:05pm On Jan 03, 2023
Tinobu is a wicked man

He will rule us

Wicked man

3 Likes

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by premierlead: 1:06pm On Jan 03, 2023
May the supreme being guide our legs and order our movement from where one's glory would be taken away in the beginning of the year...

Going to such place early in a year can be dangerous

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by Oluwaseunomo: 1:07pm On Jan 03, 2023
VeryWickedSimp:
Op go baff soap

6 Likes

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by Oloruntobi4382(m): 1:07pm On Jan 03, 2023
You did not show us the polluted water from the devilish gold mining that's been going on!

The Oṣun river is crying! cry

5 Likes

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 1:09pm On Jan 03, 2023
Did you see the water goddess live or its just hearsays and superstitions

3 Likes

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by wizdooarchy3(m): 1:10pm On Jan 03, 2023
Op hope u no go there 4 skullaship?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by Honchoslim16(m): 1:12pm On Jan 03, 2023
Ken4Christ:
When he experiencing demonic oppression, he will start looking for pastors to stress for deliverance.
Pu$$¥

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by Honchoslim16(m): 1:13pm On Jan 03, 2023
premierlead:
May the supreme being guide our legs and order our movement from where one's glory would be taken away in the beginning of the year...

Dumbă$$

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by bigdammyj: 1:14pm On Jan 03, 2023
Seen.
Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by Emarc16(m): 1:14pm On Jan 03, 2023
VeryWickedSimp:
OP go prepare proper for 2023...

3 Likes

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by OKUCHI11(m): 1:14pm On Jan 03, 2023
Ken4Christ:
When he experiencing demonic oppression, he will start looking for pastors to stress for deliverance.
I just dey shake my head (for you) on behalf of your ancestors...

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by STEWpid(f): 1:15pm On Jan 03, 2023
Chai..

Nairalanders doing greater things.

1 Like

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by omonnakoda: 1:16pm On Jan 03, 2023
premierlead:

Not having a working brain is dangerous

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove by Chris2863(m): 1:17pm On Jan 03, 2023
triple996:
See peaceful environment unlike the east
lmao. Nothing is peaceful in the Yoruba land. Op was lucky his skull wasn’t mined

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Review Of Lagos Transportation System From The Colonial Days Till Present / Canadian Student Visa Questions! / !!!UPDATE!!! Traveling With Expired Nigerian Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.