Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,042 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) (38386 Views)

My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove / Visit To The Sacred Snake Temple In Benin Republic / Visit To The Osun Osogbo Sacred Grove In Osun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Bbsharon(f): 12:54am On Nov 23, 2018
The Osun-Osogbo sacred groove is the abode of the Osun goddess known as the goddess of fertility. Many women come yearly during the festival and ask the goddess for children and then promise to repay a certain gift if rewarded with a child.

Below it's a picture take at the entrance of the groove and also at the fertility goddess statue where prayers are made to ask for children.

Read full story with more details on my blog

https://www.demitalks.com/2018/11/22/my-visit-to-the-osun-osogbo-sacred-groove-osun-state/

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Bbsharon(f): 12:54am On Nov 23, 2018
The groove is peculiar for it’s rich history and work of arts. The groove has been preserved over time from century to century as the Osun goddess worshipers believes the place serve as a medium whereby the goddess still communicates with her people. Sacrifices are made daily, weekly, monthly, and the overall big festival comes up every year in August.

Below are pictures of the many shrines at the river side. The third picture is the shrine where sacrifices are made to separate humans from their spiritual spouse.

https://www.demitalks.com/2018/11/22/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Bbsharon(f): 12:54am On Nov 23, 2018
At the bank of the river, no footwear is allowed as people come there to pray, make their heart desires ,wishes, promises, pledges to the goddess for good fortune. Did I make a wish there? Maybe �

An open arm statue which indicates the goddess does not discriminate and welcomes all.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Bbsharon(f): 12:55am On Nov 23, 2018
The groove has rich herbal plants that is use for all kind of pharmaceutical treatments. No form of wildlife hunting is allowed and equally no felling of trees.

Also the first palace in osogbo. Osogbo has seven different palaces in which the present king resides in the 7th one at Oja Oba in osogbo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Bbsharon(f): 12:55am On Nov 23, 2018
During the annual Osun-Osogbo festival the virgin dressed in white carries a heavy calabash that contains sacrifices to be offered to the goddess . She passes through the tunnel with only the priests and priestess of the goddess and pours the sacrifices into the river after which she is allowed to rest at the first palace of the king of Osogbo for days before getting back to her normal self.

The guide showing the sacred entrance...

A sculpted statue of the white woman Susan Wenger, her dog , the people she worked with and the priest she got married to.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Bbsharon(f): 12:56am On Nov 23, 2018
The groove also has the first hanging bridge in Africa. The bridge was really shaky and I was scared initially on climbing it, but it was fun.

Saw some monkeys there too.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by IrokoOluwere: 2:06am On Nov 23, 2018
Op . Welcome to Osun State .
But ,all that write up and pictures but you refused to mention what state or city you live in
You look like Ibadan babe sha tongue
...and
...and

She ignored me!

[img]https://media./images/2402402326cd53fe2ef97dcbf5bf98cd/tenor.gif[/img]

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Bbsharon(f): 4:14am On Nov 23, 2018
At the riverside. Footwares not allowed as people come there to pray and also make their heart desires known to the goddess . Was I making a wish there? grin

I had fun visiting this place of rich cultural heritage. Would you visit if you had the chance?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by SkinnyNigga: 6:08am On Nov 23, 2018
Bbsharon:
At the riverside. Footwares not allowed as people come there to pray and also make their heart desires known to the goddess . Was I making a wish there? grin

I had fun visiting this place of rich cultural heritage. Would you visit if you had the chance?

No . skull mining is real.

22 Likes

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by vizkiz: 8:04am On Nov 23, 2018
I don't know why my attention was focused on OP's hips instead of the pictures she was showing off sad

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Iamicekid(m): 9:10am On Nov 23, 2018
vizkiz:
I don't know why my attention was focused on OP's hips instead of the pictures she was showing off sad

Is your Name in the book of life....She don Marry oooo

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Bbsharon(f): 9:41am On Nov 23, 2018
SkinnyNigga:
No . skull mining is real.
That's generalisation...a bad one.
vizkiz:
grin grin
Iamicekid:

Married to Jesus, right? grin

14 Likes

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by vizkiz: 10:15am On Nov 23, 2018
Iamicekid:

No she is not.

4 Likes

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Iamicekid(m): 11:29am On Nov 23, 2018
vizkiz:

No she is not.

Oya You sef shoot your shot, she don clear road for you

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Iamicekid(m): 11:37am On Nov 23, 2018
Bbsharon:

That's generalisation...a bad one.

grin grin

Married to Jesus, right? grin

Ha what of brother John, u don side line that cute bro grin cheesy grin
Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by davide470(m): 11:53am On Nov 23, 2018
Nice one Dami!

Keep it up! Small small, you will start abroad photo-trips wink

Dominique, what say ye? Promise land?

5 Likes

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Bbsharon(f): 5:32pm On Nov 23, 2018
davide470:
Nice one Dami!

Keep it up! Small small, you will start abroad photo-trips wink

Dominique, what say ye? Promise land?

Thanks Dave. Can't wait o grin .

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by nonye6194: 5:37pm On Nov 23, 2018
Good job op

shebi you follow dey this Lagos ni? let's tour this place with a couple of tourism enthusiast we can find here wink.

lekki conservation center

Nike art gallery

and Kalakuta museum are all in my bucket list for the rest of this year/January.

have done discovery park and JJT park. national museum is already a done deal for next month

so whatca say

modified: those in Lagos and interested just DM abeg cool

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Sirheny007(m): 5:51pm On Nov 23, 2018
So OP
You went to ask the goddess for the fruit of the womb when I could easily answer your prayers.. undecided
Whatever you goddess can do,
I can do it 4x

31 Likes

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by samista: 5:51pm On Nov 23, 2018
It's not sacred, it's satanic

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Buharimustgo: 5:51pm On Nov 23, 2018
Ok
Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by hisexcellency34: 5:52pm On Nov 23, 2018
Are u a virgin? If not, I heard the gods of that water will deal with you ooo

1 Like

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Smile4daddy(m): 5:56pm On Nov 23, 2018
Op what's the name of the goddess?

And what do I need to do if I want to surmon her to appear in my room?

1 Like

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by 0balufonlll: 5:56pm On Nov 23, 2018
xx

BbSharon

Good one.
Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by deafeyez: 5:57pm On Nov 23, 2018
Nice shots
Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by afroxyz: 5:58pm On Nov 23, 2018
I've been dying to visit his place. If i can get someone to guide me
Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by BecomeALandLord(m): 5:58pm On Nov 23, 2018
Nice one
Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by vaxx: 5:59pm On Nov 23, 2018
Bbsharon:
During the annual Osun-Osogbo festival the virgin dressed in white carries a heavy calabash that contains sacrifices to be offered to the goddess . She passes through the tunnel with only the priests and priestess of the goddess and pours the sacrifices into the river after which she is allowed to rest at the first palace of the king of Osogbo for days before getting back to her normal self.

The guide showing the sacred entrance...

A sculpted statue of the white woman Susan Wenger, her dog , the people she worked with and the priest she got married to.

Beautiful work of sussan Wenger . Next trip, take a visit to her house, it is wonderful to behold.

1 Like

Re: My Trip to the Osun-Osogbo Sacred Groove (Photos) by Smile4daddy(m): 5:59pm On Nov 23, 2018
Op what's the name of the goddess?

Is it possible for someone to surmon her?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Don't Fall For This White Handkerchief Trick By Kidnappers - AutoJoshNG / Epe Has One Of The Best Road Networks In Lagos State (Photos) / Nest Oil Private Jet Lost Control At Abuja Airport (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.