Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Why Don't Many Nigerian Singers Patronise Afrobeat? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Don't Many Nigerian Singers Patronise Afrobeat? (1056 Views)

Psquare, Iyanya, Faze Nigerian Singers Head To Abuja To Perform At Inauguration / Reason Why Many Nigerian Artistes Shoot Their Videos In SA. / Top 5 Female R&B Singers Of The 90's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Many Nigerian Singers Patronise Afrobeat? by emofine(f): 9:54pm On Sep 04, 2011
I have noticed the rise that Hip life has had in Nigeria and in some areas of the Continent however could a xerox ever be appreciated over the original?

That's why I bring up Afrobeat. . . Afrobeat is steadily rising and evolving (and it has even forged a way in British Society for example) yet many of the promoters are non-Nigerians sadly.

Afrobeat is perhaps the musical genre that could challenge reggae in my opinion as the original components and objectives are pretty similar, i.e. political lyrics etc. .

You see how many Nigerian artists dey copy Yankee artists if only they knew it was these same Yankee artists that gbadun and xerox Fela.

It's not bad to make music for entertainment but perhaps substance could be a focus as well and being "original no artificiality" -  many outsiders even seek African music that are more true to their roots plus much esteem and credit is given to original artists.
It's good to stand out and not blend in, and the best way to stand out is to be pioneering.

werrin una dey tink?
Re: Why Don't Many Nigerian Singers Patronise Afrobeat? by Mcleo007(m): 9:59pm On Sep 04, 2011
I dont agree with you. sad
Re: Why Don't Many Nigerian Singers Patronise Afrobeat? by emofine(f): 10:23pm On Sep 04, 2011
Mcleo007:

I dont agree with you.  sad

That's quite alright buddy no need to frown, or did I say something to offend? sad
Re: Why Don't Many Nigerian Singers Patronise Afrobeat? by Relax101(m): 6:58am On Sep 05, 2011
emofine:

I have noticed the rise that Hip life has had in Nigeria and in some areas of the Continent however could a xerox ever be appreciated over the original?

That's why I bring up Afrobeat. . . Afrobeat is steadily rising and evolving (and it has even forged a way in British Society for example) yet many of the promoters are non-Nigerians sadly.

Afrobeat is perhaps the musical genre that could challenge reggae in my opinion as the original components and objectives are pretty similar, i.e. political lyrics etc. .

You see how many Nigerian artists dey copy Yankee artists if only they knew it was these same Yankee artists that gbadun and xerox Fela.

It's not bad to make music for entertainment but perhaps substance could be a focus as well and being "original no artificiality" -  many outsiders even seek African music that are more true to their roots plus much esteem and credit is given to original artists.
It's good to stand out and not blend in, and the best way to stand out is to be pioneering.

werrin una dey tink?

NNEKA EGBUNA comes close and very close. She's gonna give you full dose of anything Afro. Check her songs on youtube esp her live performances. She sings in pidgin and her messages are very loud, clear and understood by white and blacks.
Sweet girl.
Re: Why Don't Many Nigerian Singers Patronise Afrobeat? by emofine(f): 9:22am On Sep 05, 2011
@ Phatwall, great to know I'm not the only one harbouring such thoughts and I've listened to that piece before but thanks for sharing.

Relax101:

NNEKA EGBUNA comes close and very close. She's gonna give you full dose of anything Afro. Check her songs on youtube esp her live performances. She sings in pidgin and her messages are very loud, clear and understood by white and blacks.
Sweet girl.

Yep I know about Nneka, I'm a fan as well. . . I like the fact she actually talks about the issues hampering Nigeria especially ND . . .oh and Lagbaja is another good Afrobeat musician as well.

(1) (Reply)

..... / Vacancy For A Music Producer / Nonny D Emerges From Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.