Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) (1293 Views)

Akwa Ibom Government Boosts Cocoa Farming With 500,000 Seedlings / Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor / Snail Farming Na Gold In 9ja, Revealed Live How To Start Snail Farming With Zero (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 11:50am On Jan 19, 2023
Hi, my name is Temitope.

If Nigeria has a level playing field, I'd probably be a 7 figure millionaire by now. If there are no 1-cut ticket, I'd probably be a billionaire too but we meuuuvvvee..

I bought 2 plots of land 2 years ago in Ibadan and built a bungalow for my mom with half plot. I had plans to use the rest to build multiple semi-detached miniflats which can be rented out and also a big shop that my mom can sit in, watch TV, make money and enjoy her retirement while using the rent from the miniflats to cool off too.

However, Nigeria happened and the plans didn't materialise (although I'm sure it still will one way or another).

Throughout 2022, I'm not sure I executed any contract worth up to N500,000 at once and this took a toll on my finances and wellbeing. So, this 2023, I have learnt lessons.

Therefore, my new year resolution is to diversify.

Since there's still about 1½ plot of land laying fallow, I decided to take over it.

I live permanently in Lagos, so, this means I had to go stay with my mom for a while in Ibadan. Being here for a week now.

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 11:58am On Jan 19, 2023
I was inspired by a fish farm I visited when I went to spend 2021 Christmas with a friend I met during my NYSC, in 2016. The fish farm is located in a remote farm in Umovum, Owerri.

The owner explained how his life has changed ever since he started. He has added piggery to it when I visited again and boy, it was like someone opened my eyes to wealth free of charge.

I had since decided that I was going to invest in fishery, piggery and oil palm plantation on a commercial/industrial scale because I believe in me. I was going to make that money. I haven't yet but I will by any means.

Now, man can barely eat 3 square meal in Buhari's Nigeria.

So, I saved 200k in my piggyvest from a car I sold in December and denied myself every pleasure of Yuletide.
I saved because I was expectant of another fund but it never came. Instead of waiting on hope, I decided to just get started with the 200k.. wherever I get to, God will send help and send funds.

So, here we are
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 12:02pm On Jan 19, 2023
First, I have allocated only a half out of land to this new venture of mine. I have also visited 3 different catfish farm to learn how to keep up. I also spoke to a fish farm owner close to me and he's agreed to help me build mine with me.. so, here we go!!

First day, clearing of bamboo infested bush behind the house

1 Like

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 12:08pm On Jan 19, 2023
Digging starts

Dimension is 40ft length x 23 ft breadth
Depth is 4 feet

I hired Aboki.. they are strong, not lazy and don't complain and don't charge much..

Agreement is agreement where Aboki dey..

2 Likes

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by LikeAking: 12:10pm On Jan 19, 2023
Good idea..

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by madridguy(m): 12:31pm On Jan 19, 2023
@ OP, I wish you success.
Another eye opener thread.

1 Like

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 3:39pm On Jan 19, 2023
Making progress

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by rainmoredays: 4:21pm On Jan 19, 2023
I hope omonile won't come and disturb, those guys are a menace.
Goodluck

1 Like

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 8:48pm On Jan 19, 2023
rainmoredays:
I hope omonile won't come and disturb, those guys are a menace.
Goodluck

They came lol.. I use scope take discharge them.. by the time they come back, fingerling don grow wings dey fly
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by rainmoredays: 9:46pm On Jan 19, 2023
Holybwoy:

They came lol.. I use scope take discharge them.. by the time they come back, fingerling don grow wings dey fly
Nah their ways, very useless nonentities
Dem nor dey use eye see person wey dey progress for their (so called) ancestor's land

1 Like

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 12:46pm On Jan 21, 2023
They have extended digging to the last part.. I have also paid 80% for the progress made so far..

Work is expected to be finished by Monday..

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by zabson(m): 2:18pm On Jan 21, 2023
Following cool

1 Like

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by ennymob22: 1:56pm On Jan 22, 2023
Presence. I'm sure I will learn here
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 7:31am On Jan 23, 2023
To God be the glory.. digging phase is done with.. grin grin

It only took four days..

Next is attaching pipes for inflow and outflow of water.

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 7:35am On Jan 23, 2023
That land is a loamy sand.. there was a small river padding through the back.. which is the only explanation of water springing up from nowhere when it was dug at 4 feet.

However, the water is too dirty.. so, the plan is to evacuate the dirty water with a pumping machine and pump in new water from my mom's well..

New cup, new wine wink cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Meajor(m): 8:58am On Jan 23, 2023
All the best following
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by officialfestus(m): 5:38am On Jan 24, 2023
Following.
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by TheNiceGuy(m): 10:39am On Jan 27, 2023
Can you give explicit of the expenses so far

How much was the digging done?

Thank you
Holybwoy:
That land is a loamy sand.. there was a small river padding through the back.. which is the only explanation of water springing up from nowhere when it was dug at 4 feet.

However, the water is too dirty.. so, the plan is to evacuate the dirty water with a pumping machine and pump in new water from my mom's well..

New cup, new wine wink cheesy
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 10:46am On Jan 27, 2023
TheNiceGuy:
Can you give explicit of the expenses so far

How much was the digging done?

Thank you

4 abokis to make the work fast.. 10k each per day for 4 days..

Cost of pipe and accessories, renting of pumping machine, plumber hire, final decoration etc gulped 100k
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by rainmoredays: 11:10am On Jan 27, 2023
Show us recent pictures
We dey here with you
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by TheNiceGuy(m): 11:29am On Jan 27, 2023
Okay

Lemme understand you well. 10k for each day (shared among them) or 10k for each of them(40k for a day)?
Holybwoy:

4 abokis to make the work fast.. 10k each per day for 4 days..

Cost of pipe and accessories, renting of pumping machine, plumber hire, final decoration etc gulped 100k
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 12:59pm On Jan 27, 2023
TheNiceGuy:
Okay

Lemme understand you well. 10k for each day (shared among them) or 10k for each of them(40k for a day)?

40k a day.. no be small work lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by rainmoredays: 1:01pm On Jan 27, 2023
Holybwoy:

40k a day.. no be small work lol
if I am not mistaken, he said 10k a day (for all of them)
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by bizzibodi(m): 10:11am On Feb 23, 2023
Just be ware of flooding,U will need atleast 2ponds.
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Praisepriest: 12:21pm On Feb 23, 2023
Nice work. Am following you back to back.
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by sexysage(m): 9:13pm On Jun 30, 2023
I'm following, any progress?
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 11:57pm On Jun 30, 2023
sexysage:
I'm following, any progress?

I bought a thousand fingerlings.. my fishes are 2 months old but they are in ibadan and I am in Lagos.. I only send money home to my mom to buy food and help look after it.. unable to take pictures..

The feeding money wan wound me embarassed embarassed
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Iyawoifa: 6:01pm On Jul 01, 2023
It’s not easy to dig and share 10k,he meant 10k each for 4days.
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by dotunibrahim7(m): 10:42pm On Jul 03, 2023
Nice job Holybwoy. Did you carry out any treatment on the pond before bringing in the fingerlings? And how often do you change the water.
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Holybwoy: 11:10pm On Jul 03, 2023
dotunibrahim7:
Nice job Holybwoy. Did you carry out any treatment on the pond before bringing in the fingerlings? And how often do you change the water.

Chemical treatment is dangerous.. the chemicals stay longer and can harm the fishes..

We plucked leaves from almond trees as much as possible and soaked it in the pond for a week before we transferred the fingerlings.. it worked..

the fingerlings are in good health and have grown well in 2 months..
Re: My Aquaculture Journey: Venture Into Catfish Farming With Me(picstory) by Alberttahir: 11:50am On Jul 04, 2023
Congratulations sir. I wish you success. I'm nursing same thought, already looking for nearby fish farm where I can get practical experience. I've been into crop farming but the menace of heardsmen is discouraging for further investment, I want to switch to something I can at least have some control over the risk. I'll be greatful to learn from this thread.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pure Undiluted Coconut Oil / Join FAE Exporters & Importers Chatroom / Supplier Of Food's Stuff's From Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.