Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,318 members, 7,836,373 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:34 AM

CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card (23631 Views)

CBN Launches Talents, Artwork And Skills Competition / Diamond Bank Plc Has Launched Visa Signature Debit Card, Which Is Designed Speci / Aishah Ahmad: Profile Of The CBN Deputy Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by OlujobaSamuel: 1:15pm On Jan 20, 2023
Lifestone:

Do you understand what CBN is saying?
You can explain.
My view is that of regular banking operations except they are referring to something else.
If it's the process/exchange, I believe NIBSS has the capacity for that.
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by Lifestone(m): 2:31pm On Jan 20, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

You can explain.
My view is that of regular banking operations except they are referring to something else.
If it's the process/exchange, I believe NIBSS has the capacity for that.
But that's what CBN is saying. The Card will be issued and managed by NIBSS. Ofcourse NIBSS is owned by CBN
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by Godsownfc(m): 3:18pm On Jan 20, 2023
Adaorababy:
We're still deliberating if it's necessary to accept this fake new notes that stains, you're busy introducing another fake debit card that will most likely give incessant network issues.

CBN, pls face your work and stop meddling in activities that's unrelated to your scope just because you're perceived to be autonomous!
E tire me oh
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by Lordedifice1: 5:54pm On Jan 20, 2023
Those of you commending emefiele will soon come back here to cry bitterly
Nothing goes for nothing
They want to control your money and have access to it where by you kick against the government orders they'll surely block your account and put you abject poverty. This is modern slavery

1 Like

Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by designguru: 11:35am On Jan 22, 2023
Righthussle:
This guy is always in the news.

At least this time this reason is good.
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by designguru: 11:37am On Jan 22, 2023
Adaorababy:
We're still deliberating if it's necessary to accept this fake new notes that stains, you're busy introducing another fake debit card that will most likely give incessant network issues.

CBN, pls face your work and stop meddling in activities that's unrelated to your scope just because you're perceived to be autonomous!

I am sure you didn't read the story before this comment. A unified card system is good for the banking industry. The current card u have also gives network issue and thats an infrastructure issue not the cbn's fault. So let's embrace this.
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by Freshnaija: 11:44am On Jan 22, 2023
meobizy:
Somebody should explain how this is different from the ATM card in my wallet.

Firstly, on this card, the charges will be lower because it’s expected to be charged for in Naira as against foreign currency. Also, I believe alot of Nigerian banks will adopt it for local payments. There will also be alot of offers from banks for the usage so I think its a good initiative from cbn and nibss.
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by Freshnaija: 11:45am On Jan 22, 2023
adioolayi:
Launch it with zero fee card maintenance levy and see it grow.

The way banks dey deduct money these days...e get as e be

Exactly.
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by Freshnaija: 11:47am On Jan 22, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:
Lol, I heard this over a radio program few days ago but the man that called in went off as his network failed.
So CBN is planning to venture into banking operations like NNPC.
This Emefiele needs to be stoned

This is an initiative of Cbn through NIBSS. Cbn is not venturing into banking operations. Why must be attack emefiele everytime especially when an initiative is good. I feel this is good.
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by codemaniacs: 11:52am On Jan 22, 2023
bassdow:

...but isn't Verve owned by InterSwitch, a Wholly owned Nigerian company ?

is CBN leaving their role of REGULATOR ?

Interswitch is no longer fully owned by Nigerians.. just like paystack it has foreign investors who own over 50% of it.
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by designguru: 11:52am On Jan 22, 2023
Tayorshd2:
Thief's everywhere ..

Plz what's d advantage of 5his over the initial ATM we are using

Read the story. U will see the advantage. For one I am sure the charges on the card will be limited. Banks currently charge too much on card maintenance and others. So I feel this one go Eradicate that and many other things sha.

1 Like

Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by codemaniacs: 11:56am On Jan 22, 2023
Freshnaija:

Firstly, on this card, the charges will be lower because it’s expected to be charged for in Naira as against foreign currency. Also, I believe alot of Nigerian banks will adopt it for local payments. There will also be alot of offers from banks for the usage so I think its a good initiative from cbn and nibss.

Banks have their own cards and will promote their own cards over CBN..

if you use this CBN card over Nigerian owned Banks then you'll be giving the CBN more money over the indigenous Banks.
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by designguru: 11:58am On Jan 22, 2023
Dshocker:
Godwin Emefiele financial policies be like primary 2 student own.

That man has no business in the financial sector.

Because of this initiative? Have u even taken tome to understand what the domestic card initiative is about? Why attack him. I think this initiative is great and let's read about it before castigating it.
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by Concetta(f): 1:33pm On Jan 22, 2023
The way I see it, the CBN simply identified a business opportunity and then decided to ................

You know the rest
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by bassdow: 2:51pm On Jan 22, 2023
codemaniacs:

Interswitch is no longer fully owned by Nigerians.. just like paystack it has foreign investors who own over 50% of it.

Was saddened when payStack, just like myTV , MainOne, etc, was bought. When we go learn to have our very own without involving foreigners. And even when they don't sell 100%, they still fail to reserve controlling rights.
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by codemaniacs: 3:04pm On Jan 22, 2023
bassdow:

Was saddened when payStack, just like myTV , MainOne, etc, was bought. When we go learn to have our very own without involving foreigners. And even when they don't sell 100%, they still fail to reserve controlling rights.

when state governments or billionaires start buying stakes in Nigerian tech companies that's when we will learn to protect our own companies... especially southern Nigerians...

Tw:itter didn't make profit for years but it still had investors and another person bought it for billions...

Look at the way the government provided funds for Da:ngote's refinery ( even though I think the W:orld ba:nk also has a stake in the refinery )...

Goo:dluck Jon:athan could have built a refinery in at least 2 of the south south states given them funds to sustain it..
Re: CBN Launches Its Own Debit Card by Tayorshd2(m): 7:21am On Jan 26, 2023
designguru:

Read the story. U will see the advantage. For one I am sure the charges on the card will be limited. Banks currently charge too much on card maintenance and others. So I feel this one go Eradicate that and many other things sha.

Ok that's true though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN Slams Fines On 4 Nigerian Banks Over Fund Repatriation For MTN / COVID-19: Withdraw Old Naira Notes From Circulation, Group Tells CBN / Federal Government Import Prohibition List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.