Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

Benin Youth Protest Abduction And Death Of Musician - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Benin Youth Protest Abduction And Death Of Musician (1453 Views)

EseOruru : Yunusa Arraigned In Court Over "Abduction And Illicit Sex" / Lawrence Anini: Life And Death Of Nigeria’s Most Notorious Armed Robber (photos) / Benin Youth Protest Abduction And Death Of Musician (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Benin Youth Protest Abduction And Death Of Musician by Ovularia: 7:37pm On Sep 06, 2011
Benin youth protest abduction and death of musician
By Jethro Ibileke
September 6, 2011 01:48PM
print email

The death of a Benin City-based musician, Omoregbe Okpenyen, popularly known as Bayo Ade and his father, Pa Okpenyen, threw the city into pandemonium on Monday as thousands of youth protested the death of the artiste who was allegedly kidnapped on Sunday morning.

Bayo Ade, who was billed to perform at the 77th birthday ceremony of the Esama of Benin, Gabriel igbinedion, was found dead on Sunday night after his abductors allegedly collected the sum of N500, 000 ransom money from his family. His father allegedly collapsed and died immediately after the news of his son was broken to him.
Youths, numbering over 1000, took to the streets of Benin in a peaceful demonstration, demanding justice for the murder of late Bayo Ade.

His younger brother and manager, Etchie Peter, recalled that his Brother, who was found dead, was shot in both legs and his hands tied before he was released by his abductors. He further said that he visited his late brother who gave him money to buy diesel and fuel for their show at Esama's residence.

He said: "It was while I was going that I was called that Bayo Ade has been kidnapped. The kidnappers called me with his phone and demanded for N10m. We told them we didn't have such money and reminded them that it was on a Sunday. We later told them that we could raise N500, 000.
They didn't call for some time. In the night, they called that we should bring the money to Textile Mill road. We went there and they directed us to Federal Road by Okhoro junction close to the cemetery.

"We went there and they told us to put on our car headlight. After some time they called and threatened to kill us if police were with us. Suddenly they started shooting and asked one of us to bring out the money. They asked us to go and that we should call them in 10 minutes time. I called in 10 minutes and they said I should call again. Later they switched off the phone. They called again and told us to go Ewah Road by Ikpoba Slope and that we should hurry that my brother was shot. I went there, opened the vehicle and didn't see my brother. I opened the booth and discovered that my brother was very cold. He was dead."

But as Bayo Ade's manager was narrating the incident to newsmen on Monday, another information came that the musician's father Pa Ukpenyen died immediately after receiving the news of his son's death. This was later confirmed at the family house on Idahosa Street, off Lagos Street Benin City by newsmen who visited there.

"The musician's body and that of his father have been deposited at the Central Hospital mortuary," a relative said.

Sympathizers, including some members of his band, took to the street protesting his death. They called on the state government and the security agencies to unravel those behind the abduction and killing of the musician as well as the unabated kidnapping incidents in Edo State.

Provost kidnapped

While the dust raised by the news of the kidnap and killing of Byo Ade was still swirling, news of the abduction of the provost of the Edo State College of Agriculture, Iguoriakhi, in Ovia South West local council, Julius Obahayujie was also announced. He was reportedly abducted on Saturday at Ewohinmi, Esan South East local council while attending a marriage ceremony.

More police patrols

The Edo State Commissioner of police, David Omojola however promised to tighten security in the state, particularly the state capital with the introduction of more police officers to patrol the state.

Mr. Omojola, who admitted that the state police command was seriously Challenged, said the command will continue to do its best to bring the situation under control.
He also announced the arrest of two suspected kidnappers, namely, Ouwisi Emmanuel (19) and Oboh Godstime (19), who allegedly kidnapped a woman and demanded for a ransom prize of N25, 000.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5741032-146/benin_youth_protest_abduction_and_death.csp

Kidnapped Edo musician found dead after payment of ransom
By James Azania
Tuesday, 6 Sep 2011
Exactly one week after the abduction of an Edo State-based businessman and Peoples Democratic Party chieftain, Mr. Tes Soare, in the state capital, Benin, a popular musician, Omoregbe Okpeyen (a.k.a Bayo Ade), was on Sunday kidnapped.

Unlike Sorae who came out alive from the kidnappers’ den, Okpeyen’s body was left in his car boot by the hoodlums after collecting a N500,000 ransom from his family.

Father of the deceased, Elder Okpeyen is currently in a critical condition, having gone into a coma, on hearing about the fate of his son.

This development has sent panic signals to residents of the ancient city, as many politicians, top government functionaries and businessmen and women are reported to have gone into hiding as kidnappers appeared to have laid a siege to the state.

Similarly, the Provost of the College of Agriculture, Iguoriakhi, in Ovia South West Local Government Area, Prof. Julius Obahayuijie, was reportedly kidnapped on Saturday, while attending a traditional marriage in Ewohimi, Esan South East Local Government area.

State Commissioner of Police, Mr. David Omojola, in a reaction, described the development in the last week as a challenge which the force would tackle “with all sense of duty.”

Decrying the loss of lives in the series of kidnappings, Omojola, said the force had however not been resting on its oars.

The late Bayo Ade was billed to perform at a pre-77 years birthday celebration of Chief Gabriel Igbinedion, the Esama of Benin, on the day he was abducted.

When our correspondent visited the Lagos Street residence of the late musician, sympathisers were seen gathered around the family compound.

The younger brother and manager of the late musician, Peter, told our correspondent that the kidnappers shot his brother in both legs and tied his hands, “leaving his body by Uwa Junction along Ikpoba Slope.”

Narrating his last encounter with the deceased, Peter said his late brother gave him some money to purchase fuel to power the generator to be used at the Igbenedion Government Reservation Area residence only to receive a call shortly after from him that he had been kidnapped on his way to the venue.

He said, “It was while I was going that I got calls that he had been kidnapped. The kidnappers called me with his phone and demanded N10m. We pleaded with the kidnappers that we didn’t have such money and to worsen the situation, it was on Sunday and banks don’t work. We managed to raise N500, 000. They didn’t call for some time.”

http://punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201109062472031

(1) (Reply)

BIRTHDAY TRAGEDY: Girl Raped, Fiance Shot / The Gruesome Murder Of Sisiter Afra Martinelli / We Exhume Corpses For goodluck –suspected Human Dealers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.