Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,244 members, 7,825,941 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Gre Score Of 1290 ,yet No Admission ,pls Help - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Gre Score Of 1290 ,yet No Admission ,pls Help (2593 Views)

Schools In The Us That Accepts A Gre Score Of 291 / USA Universities That Offer Graduate Programs Without GRE Score. / Am I Eligible To Apply With Toefl Score Of 54 In Finland University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gre Score Of 1290 ,yet No Admission ,pls Help by elewedu(m): 11:51pm On Sep 06, 2011
Hello House,
I have been a member of this forum since 2005 but not had any reason to post a topic until now, I strongly believe that Nairalanders will be come to my aid this time with helpful advice.
I presently work with a manufacturing company as a Quality Assurance Officer with fairly good pay package , but am passionately interested in pusuing a masters degree in environmental Chemistry in the US to further my career. I initiated application to New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology for Spring 2012 admissions. Sadly, I got a negative reply from them today. Unfortunately, I was counting on them alone because I coudnt complete other school application because of some challenges I coudnt wrestle.
I did a thorough research on their requirements before putting in my application so I was I kinda certain I was going to get the admission because I scored far above their requirements, they required GRE of 1000, and a TOEFL score of 79 and I had a score of 1290 and 98 in GRE and TOEFL respectively, and I graduated with a GPA of 3.60 so I am amiss as to why I was refused .Now I intend to initiate a fresh application to three schools this time arround, but am not sure of which schools I should applied. Nairalanders, please help me with safe schools I can apply to that will provide Funding too, I dont wanna waste another year expecting a negative reply
Re: Gre Score Of 1290 ,yet No Admission ,pls Help by dloy(m): 1:51am On Sep 07, 2011
TRY university of oulo,finland, there masters programme is free and taught in English language, best of luck
Re: Gre Score Of 1290 ,yet No Admission ,pls Help by elewedu(m): 5:47am On Sep 07, 2011
@dloy, I will check the school asap. Any other information you think will be useful to me will be highly appreciated. Pls keep in mind that I am particular abt funding too. Thanks
Re: Gre Score Of 1290 ,yet No Admission ,pls Help by ChiDalu1: 8:10am On Sep 07, 2011
Sorry about your rejection @Elewedu. The fact that a school requires a min GRE & TOEFL score which you clearly surpassed is not enough guarantee for admission. Several other factors contribute to admission decision and that is why its advisable to apply to more than one school so as to increase your chances. They probably had more students (with even better profile than yours) apply for thesame semester and as such they can only pick the best of the best. Also, things like SOP, previous research experience, recommendation from your professors, e.t.c. also adds up.

Fall 2012 is still far and i know most schools are still accepting applications for it. Try out Texas Tech univ, Univ of West Virginia, Univ of Mississpi, Oklahoma State Univ, University of Oklahoma, University of Tulsa (don't know if these schools offer your course but check them out, a lot of them are also liberal with funding). Also, check out this website www.edulix.com its an Indian forum where people come to share information regarding gradutae studies in the US

I wish you all the best

Cheers!
Re: Gre Score Of 1290 ,yet No Admission ,pls Help by onixjeff: 9:58am On Sep 07, 2011
am sorry for that, but there's purpose for everything, If you don't mind i can help you with MEDITARIAN UNIVERSITY NORTH CYPRUS,Best of luck.
Contact admissionlink@yahoo.com or 08032059328
Re: Gre Score Of 1290 ,yet No Admission ,pls Help by JeSoul(f): 1:48pm On Sep 07, 2011
Chi-Dalu:

Sorry about your rejection @Elewedu. The fact that a school requires a min GRE & TOEFL score which you clearly surpassed is not enough guarantee for admission. Several other factors contribute to admission decision and that is why its advisable to apply to more than one school so as to increase your chances. They probably had more students (with even better profile than yours) apply for thesame semester and as such they can only pick the best of the best. Also, things like SOP, previous research experience, recommendation from your professors, e.t.c. also adds up.
Fall 2012 is still far and i know most schools are still accepting applications for it. Try out Texas Tech univ, Univ of West Virginia, Univ of Mississpi, Oklahoma State Univ, University of Oklahoma, University of Tulsa (don't know if these schools offer your course but check them out, a lot of them are also liberal with funding). Also, check out this website www.edulix.com its an Indian forum where people come to share information regarding gradutae studies in the US

I wish you all the best

Cheers!
This is most likely what happened.
Elewedu, if possible, try to email the admissions dept/director/representative and see if you can get a solid reason as to why you were rejected. That way you can correct/address it as you're applying to other schools so you don't end up being denied again. I wish you the best.
Re: Gre Score Of 1290 ,yet No Admission ,pls Help by Allohrandy(m): 7:01pm On Oct 14, 2013
you should apply to more than one school next time. you should apply to at least one low tier college in your major that you can easily get admission.
Re: Gre Score Of 1290 ,yet No Admission ,pls Help by souleymon(m): 1:17am On Oct 15, 2013
don't put all your egg in one basket again.

try new York institute of technology.

You will get admission but need show funds at the embassy

(1) (Reply)

Traveling To Hong-kong / Information On South Korea Visa / Olumirin Water Fall: The 7 Living Spring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.