Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs (457 Views)

Spark Plugs Review -all Brands-why Buy Toks / How To Change Your Car’s Spark Plugs / "Tokunbo" Or New Spark Plugs: Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by TRYGO(m): 10:10am On Jan 24, 2023
1. I was in Abuja some few weeks ago, to fix a Toyota camry 2002 vehicle.
The customer had complained of a terrble loss of power, and excessively poor fuel economy, accompanied by misfires on every startup and acceleration.

2. Diagnosising the vehicle, we discovered the following:

a) cylinders 1-2 were misfiring(P0301-P0302)
b) removing the ignition coils on cylinders 1-2, to access the spark plugs, was a suprise.
c) the ceramic insulation on the threaded part of the spark plugs were just dangling in there.
With the insulation not affixed to the threaded part(which acts as the chassiss ground), sparks generated from the ignition coils will not be able to be ignited directly in the combustion chamber for proper ignition.

d) stucked threaded spark plugs on cylinders #s 1-2, which could not be removed using a 16mm socket wrench.

e) all the fuel injectors on cylinders 1-2 were dirty(fouled with carbon deposits).

f) all engine mounts degraded, to the point where their aluminium parts were in contacts with the engine.

g) the ignition coil boots on those cylinders(#s 1-2), were missing.

The Fix!?
Well, here was how we fixed it.
1. Because of the inability for the spark plugs removal, the only best bet for us was to remove the top cylinder, and have it transported to a tuner in Apo Me hanic village, to have them removed, and the 16mm spark plug threads rethreaded.

2. All the spark plugs were replaced with new ones at #2k/spark plugs.

3. Cleaned the fuel injectors, and tested them for functionality, using a split second application of 12V battery on their terminals.
The spark plugs MUST make clicking sounds to signifify they work.
No sounds, means they are bad(not working).

4. Replaced all engine mounts.

End!

PS: Always ensure that the ignition coil boots on all your coils are available.
Their availability on ignition coils is to prevent dirts, and water(moisture) from entering into the spark plug boots.
Water intrusion in to the spark plug ports, would cause rust in between the threaded sections of the spark plugs, and the top cylinder spark plug port.

Do not buy substandard spark plugs for use in your vehicle.
They may offer some kind of temporary fix, or relieve from issues, but in the longterm, you might suffer from a major labour intensive tasks, that would have being earlier nilped in the bud.

Regards,
Joseph

1 Like

Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by TRYGO(m): 10:14am On Jan 24, 2023
Take a look at how different the spark plugs are.
From L>R: bad spark plugs without their threaded metal portion shown; threaded metal portion shown

Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by TRYGO(m): 10:19am On Jan 24, 2023
I am very sorry everyone.
I have being trying to post pictures on this thread, but there appears to be a problem on here.
My picture sizes are nax 1.4MB, and still can not successfully uoload them here.
Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by TRYGO(m): 10:20am On Jan 24, 2023
Another sample

Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by TRYGO(m): 10:24am On Jan 24, 2023
Take a look at the port where one of the stuck threaded spark plug is.
This is the bad one

Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by TRYGO(m): 10:27am On Jan 24, 2023
Here is an exame of how a good spark plug port looks like

Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by dayjeee(m): 11:32am On Jan 24, 2023
can i get your number? want to make an inquiry

thank you
Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by TRYGO(m): 11:53am On Jan 24, 2023
Here is the top cylinder of the engine removed.
Please always inspect the piston rings by shaking the piston top for any unusual play for signs of piston ring wear, before installation.
You would not want to installation the top cylinder, and later find out that the piston rings are worn out.

Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by TRYGO(m): 11:55am On Jan 24, 2023
Here is how the faulty spark plug ports looked like when top cylinder was removed.

Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by TRYGO(m): 11:56am On Jan 24, 2023
Shows the top cylinder spark plug ports where the bad one and the good ones are compared.

Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by TRYGO(m): 11:57am On Jan 24, 2023
@dayjeee. It is on my signature
Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by Dozieson(m): 12:23pm On Jan 24, 2023
@TRGO are you still In Abuja?
Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by TRYGO(m): 12:36pm On Jan 24, 2023
@dozieson. No, i am not in Abuja. I travelled to the city of Kano, last week, but would be heading to Kogi state this week.
You want us to meet, or something? Any job for us abi how oga?
If work de, let me know, i might stop over in Abuja.
Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by Dozieson(m): 4:35pm On Jan 24, 2023
TRYGO:
@dozieson. No, i am not in Abuja. I travelled to the city of Kano, last week, but would be heading to Kogi state this week.
You want us to meet, or something? Any job for us abi how oga?
If work de, let me know, i might stop over in Abuja.

Thanks for the update. I though your were partly based in Abuja
Re: Consequences Of Using Substandard Spark Plugs by Angrygoat: 8:02pm On Jan 24, 2023
Na to buy toks engine

(1) (Reply)

Ford Vehicle Order Tracking 2023 / Christian Louboutin(paris) / The Audi RS4 Honeycomb Grille: A Bold And Aggressive Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.