Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,871 members, 7,841,273 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? (1584 Views)

Father And Mother Abandon Six Children For Landlady, Go Their Separate Ways (vid / Should I Adopt My Fiancee's Son Legally? / Should I Take Back An Adulterous Wife Because Of The Expensive Bride Price? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by joshmoy(m): 7:27pm On Jan 25, 2023
Hi guys.

I want to know if there’s any legal step I can take against my landlady that’s constantly harassing me.

I don’t like to talk back just because she’s quite aged, but she took it quite far today.

I just co-bought a car with a friend, but the documents are in my friend’s name for specific reasons. Nothing illegal.

She stopped me from parking the car in the compound this afternoon, on the basis that I didn’t inform her that I bought a car. She kept insisting that I had to go photocopy the car papers and submit to her before she can let me park in the compound.

Now this was nowhere stated on the agreement document. Please Is there any legal step I can take against this woman because I’m sick of her unwarranted harassment.

Modified: My friend came over to pay a visit for three days
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by Zonefree(m): 7:48pm On Jan 25, 2023
She kept insisting that I had to go photocopy the car papers and submit to her before she can let me park in the compound.

shocked shocked

This is new.

Is your landlady married? I'm guessing she's sex starved. Women rants and harass innocent guys when they're sexually frustrated.

3 Likes

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by Shalommy(f): 7:51pm On Jan 25, 2023
Chaii.. cheesy cheesy Wahala no go finish! Op, Your landlady want to own you. So, you either let her or you pack out.

2 Likes

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by olukaygold(m): 8:01pm On Jan 25, 2023
Lol...as in Lol grin

2 Likes

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by Mophor: 8:07pm On Jan 25, 2023
Issokay!!!
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by Beremx(f): 8:11pm On Jan 25, 2023
That's the disadvantage of living with the owner of the house. Monitoring spirits and envy.
I don't support the idea of giving her the photocopy of the papers. Nevertheless, you can apologize for not letting her know. She must increase your rent sha as it stands
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by yomi007k(m): 8:12pm On Jan 25, 2023
If you bought car in your friend 's name why cant you park it in your friend's yard?

She will win the case in court. You have no legal claim over the property as the document don't show your name. I like your landlady. She is intelligent.

Try it and see.

2 Likes

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by Nazgul: 8:13pm On Jan 25, 2023
Whenever I hear stories like this I just laugh, because most tenants accord unnecessary fear and respect to their landlords and landladies. Forgetting that as long as their rent hasn't expired, they possess more legal rights to the property they rented than the landlord/landlady. These home owners would use their submission as a tool to dictate their life, and if possible tell them when and when not to eat.

My advice to you is to stop giving her unnecessary audience and attention, greet her good morning/afternoon/evening and go your way.

And don't waste your money on court case. Just ignore her and keep parking the car in the compound. If she summons you concerning the matter again, tell her you don't have time, that you're in a hurry. She would talk and talk and talk and get tired, the reality of the matter is that she can't vandalise your car, and she cannot report you to the police cos you have documents to prove that the car wasn't stolen. So when she's tired of ranting, she'll crawl back to her house and let you be.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by Ishilove: 8:17pm On Jan 25, 2023
Zonefree:
[b][/b]
shocked shocked

This is new.

Is your landlady married? I'm guessing she's sex starved. Women rants and harass innocent guys when they're sexually frustrated.
So you did not read where he wrote that she is an old woman? Una own no pass fvck fvck fvck

2 Likes

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by Nazgul: 8:44pm On Jan 25, 2023
yomi007k:
If you bought car in your friend 's name why cant you park it in your friend's yard?

She will win the case in court. You have no legal claim over the property as the document don't show your name. I like your landlady. She is intelligent.

Try it and see.
Honestly most Nigerians are truly ignorant.

1. Did she openly state it in the tenancy agreement that vehicles not bearing name of tenants wouldn't be allowed to park inside the compound?

2. If she's worried that the car might be stolen, what stops her from asking her tenant to bring the owner to see her, and he'll come with a valid ID card or ATM card which should match the name on the car documents?

3. You're truly ignorant cos if you weren't you would know that he has a legal claim over the flat he rented, and she cannot claim ownership of his space until his rent elapses.

4. If she takes him to court she'll loose woefully cos this is a case of oppression.

5 Likes

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by sisisioge: 8:45pm On Jan 25, 2023
Hmmmm....some old people can be really difficult o and naija legal system is shameful. Better start counting down to when your rent expires so you can leave jejely. Meanwhile, find somewhere else to park or do copy give mama with a bottle of wine as a peace offeringgrin.

You sef no play am well. Back in the days when I got one, I brought it home and went to discuss it with my landlady. Told her it was a company car they allowed me bring home that she should help me keep an eye on it. Infact, you would thing I paid her extra for the car care ni, she went above and beyond to keep children from playing roughly around it and looking out for my parking spot. Na sense person dey carry do some things fa.
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by Zonefree(m): 8:49pm On Jan 25, 2023
Ishilove:

So you did not read where he wrote that she is an old woman? Una own no pass fvck fvck fvck
So, you think sex is limited to your age bracket?

3 Likes

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by yomi007k(m): 9:02pm On Jan 25, 2023
Nazgul:

1. Did she openly state it in the tenancy agreement that vehicles not bearing name of tenants wouldn't be allowed to park inside the compound?

2. If she's worried that the car might be stolen, what stops her from asking her tenant to bring the owner to see her, and he'll a valid ID card or ATM card which should match the name on the car documents?

3. You're truly ignorant cos if you weren't you would know that he has a legal claim over the flat he rented, and she cannot claim ownership of his space until his rent elapses.

4. If she takes him to court she'll loose woefully cos this is a case of oppression.

You are the ignorant one.

You guys only have mouth. You want to bring another person's vehicle to occupy space and inconvenience other tenants.
You are not a landlord I dont blame you.

Go try it.

3 Likes

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by Nazgul: 9:09pm On Jan 25, 2023
yomi007k:

You guys only have mouth. You want to bring another person's vehicle to occupy space and inconvenience other tenants.

Go try it.
Lol...you couldn't even counter the points I raised with superior argument.

And what has my not being a landlord got to do with the issue at hand? Typical Nigerian mentality of the average Nigerian youth, always taking off point and displaying gross ignorance wherever they go.

1 Like

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by yomi007k(m): 9:13pm On Jan 25, 2023
Nazgul:

Lol...you couldn't even counter the points I raised with superior argument.

And what has my not being a landlord got to do with the issue at hand? Typical Nigerian mentality of the average Nigerian youth, always taking off point and displaying gross ignorance wherever they go.

I don't argue with people with lower mentality.

Sorry.

2 Likes

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by joshmoy(m): 9:15pm On Jan 25, 2023
yomi007k:

Try it and see.

The car stays with my friend normally. My friend came visiting for three days and brought the car.
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by joshmoy(m): 9:17pm On Jan 25, 2023
Nazgul:

My advice to you is to stop giving her unnecessary audience and attention, greet her good morning/afternoon/evening and go your way.

This is how I’ve been moving. I’m moving out once my rent is due. Never again

1 Like

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by joshmoy(m): 9:19pm On Jan 25, 2023
sisisioge:
Hmmmm....some old people can be really difficult o and naija legal system is shameful. Better start counting down to when your rent expires so you can leave jejely. Meanwhile, find somewhere else to park or do copy give mama with a bottle of wine as a peace offeringgrin.

You sef no play am well. Back in the days when I got one, I brought it home and went to discuss it with my landlady. Told her it was a company car they allowed me bring home that she should help me keep an eye on it. Infact, you would thing I paid her extra for the car care ni, she went above and beyond to keep children from playing roughly around it and looking out for my parking spot. Na sense person dey carry do some things fa.

The thing is, because of the way she has always been shouting at me at every little thing, I don’t even talk to her. I just greet and pass.
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by joshmoy(m): 9:20pm On Jan 25, 2023
yomi007k:

Go try it.

There’s only a tenant that has a car.
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by Nazgul: 9:21pm On Jan 25, 2023
yomi007k:

I don't argue with people with lower mentality.

Sorry.
Lol... your ignorance which was publicly displayed at your failed attempt to quote the law shows you're the one with the lower mentally.

And this would be my last reply to you...

1 Like

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by yomi007k(m): 9:22pm On Jan 25, 2023
joshmoy:

The car stays with my friend normally. My friend came visiting for three days and brought the car.

See, don't take any legal move. You will lose your peace.

Move out when rent is due.

The woman don't like you and this issue don't favour you right now.
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by yomi007k(m): 9:24pm On Jan 25, 2023
Nazgul:

Lol... your ignorance which was publicly displayed at your failed attempt to quote the law shows you're the one with the lower mentally.

And this would be my last reply to you...

That's your problem.

Person wey get car and matter no carry am for head like you.

You wey no get shi shi but only mouth, dey quote theory.

If wahala burst now, the poor guy no go see you o.
Nonsense !
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by Nazgul: 9:27pm On Jan 25, 2023
joshmoy:

This is how I’ve been moving. I’m moving out once my rent is due. Never again
Most landlords/landladies are worse than demons. This is why I vowed never to live in the same compound with them.

They would try to dictate your life. I've seen cases where the landlord would tell tenants not to entertain visitors after 7pm, some would switch off the sumo (pumping machine) by 9pm until the following morning.

I've heard so many horrible stories of how wicked landlords treat their tenants. This is why I would advice you that if eventually you leave that accommodation, specifically instruct the agent you contract to find you a place that you wouldn't accept any house where the landlord stays.
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by joshmoy(m): 9:27pm On Jan 25, 2023
Nazgul:

The only thing in the agreement is to instruct all friends, and relatives to park outside the compound. Nothing about vehicles not bearing name of tenants
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by joshmoy(m): 9:31pm On Jan 25, 2023
Nazgul:

I've heard so many horrible stories of how wicked landlords treat their tenants. This is why I would advice you that if eventually you leave that accommodation, specifically instruct the agent you contract to find you a place that you wouldn't accept any house where the landlord stays.

Going forward, this is it
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by Nazgul: 9:33pm On Jan 25, 2023
joshmoy:

The only thing in the agreement is to instruct all friends, and relatives to park outside the compound. Nothing about vehicles not bearing name of tenants
bring the guy to see her with his ID card, as proof that the car belongs to him and he's transferring it to you. If she remains adamant that the car must stay outside, kindly ignore her. Cos it's obvious that she's just being unreasonable.

1 Like

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by NoToPile: 9:41pm On Jan 25, 2023
joshmoy:

Since the bolded is in the agreement then she is right show the document that it is yours or it should be parked outside.

If it doesn't bear your name how will it be known that its yours.

Your friend is a friend and all friends and relatives are to park outside according to what you posted.

The car is in the name of your friend, you don't want to show her the docs because you know she won't believe you Co-own it, Instead of you to explain the specific circumstances to her you want to sue, oya sue, she will win you hands down in court. Sebi the docs is in your friends name, you will now have to prove you co-own the car without evidence.

Why people like wahlaha like this sef.

6 Likes

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by joshmoy(m): 9:41pm On Jan 25, 2023
Nazgul:

bring the guy to see her with his ID card, as proof that the car belongs to him and he's transferring it to you. If she remains adamant that the car must stay outside, kindly ignore her. Cos it's obvious that she's just being unreasonable.

We’re not even transferring anything. He brought it over because we need to install some car tracker stuff and others. He normally stays on the island and I have a mechanic guy at ladipo. That’s why he came over with the car
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by joshmoy(m): 9:43pm On Jan 25, 2023
NoToPile:

Since the bolded is in the agreement then she is right show the document that it is yours or it should be parked outside.

If it doesn't bear your name how will it be known that its yours.

Your friend is a friend and all friends and relatives are to park outside according to what you posted.

The car is in the name of your friend, you don't want to show her the docs because you know she won't believe you Co-own it, Instead of you to explain the specific circumstances to her you want to sue, oya sue, she will win you hands down in court. Sebi the docs is in your friends name, you will now have to prove you co-own the car without evidence.

Why people like wahlaha like this sef.

I have supportive documents to prove that I co own it. What pissed me off is the fact that I was just returning from the hospital and she refused to let us park without seeing the photocopy. You needed to have seen how she was hollering fam
Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by NoToPile: 9:44pm On Jan 25, 2023
joshmoy:

I have supportive documents to prove that I co own it

Then show her nau.

These things are not that hard.

2 Likes

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by NoToPile: 9:51pm On Jan 25, 2023
joshmoy:

I have supportive documents to prove that I co own it. What pissed me off is the fact that I was just returning from the hospital and she refused to let us park without seeing the photocopy. You needed to have seen how she was hollering fam

Okay you are beginning to say what's pissing you off. She most likely wouldn't have known you were coming from the clinic

Most times it's tenants that teach landlords, I am almost certain she has had an experience with other tenants on this friend /relative car parking matter hence the hollering. People that live in Lagos compound compoundswith limited space can relate.

Let it slide, prove you own it and park in peace shikena.

1 Like

Re: Legal: Can I Take Up My Landlady Legally? by sisisioge: 9:52pm On Jan 25, 2023
joshmoy:

The thing is, because of the way she has always been shouting at me at every little thing, I don’t even talk to her. I just greet and pass.

It is well...start looking for another apartment for your peace of mind fa.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Family Keep Disturbing Me To Go To Church / Wife Cries… My Husband Don’t Even Admire My Sweet Undies Before S3x / Lovely Couples Celebrate 65years Of Marriage With Lovely Photoshoots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.