Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,963 members, 7,841,698 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Attain Spiritual Growth - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Attain Spiritual Growth (876 Views)

The Holy Spirit, Enabler Of Spiritual Growth / The Holy Spirit The Enabler Of Spiritual Growth / Sex Is Important For Spiritual Growth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Attain Spiritual Growth by yommyuk: 10:55pm On Sep 07, 2011
YOUR SPIRITUAL GROWTH

INTRODUCTION
Salvation is just the beginning of a relationship with God. After coming to faith in Christ, a person should develop a deeper friendship with the Father, learn more spiritual truth, and begin to serve the Lord. No matter how long a believer has been saved, his or her life should be characterized by spiritual growth.

OPEN UP YOUR HEART TO GOD.
On a regular basis, we should ask the Lord to examine our lives and reveal His perspective God will show us relationships that aren’t right, areas where we are no longer growing, and distractions that hinder our walk with Him.

Psalms 139:1-4
O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down and stand up. You know my thoughts even when I am far away. You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord.

Psalm 139:23-24
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

Our determination to obey the Father can be strengthened when we understand the consequences of sinful choices. The Lord desires to reveal our weaknesses so that we will walk more righteously.

WHAT IS NEEDED

Humility
We need both a willingness to look within and the light of the Holy Spirit to reveal positive and negative aspects of our character.

Honesty
The Spirit of God shows us the truth about ourselves. When He brings something to the surface, don’t rationalize your sin or make excuses for your behavior.

1 Cor. 2:10-11
But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God’s deep secrets. No one can know a person’s thoughts except that person’s own spirit and no one can know God’s thoughts except God’s own Spirit.

Patience
In kindness, the Lord reveals our wrong attitudes and actions little by little. Just as it took decades for you to become an adult, it will take time to grow spiritually.

Courage
You will never become the person God wants you to be until you ask Him to examine your heart. You may look healthy on the outside, but harboring sin will destroy your peace and joy.

THE REASONS WE RESIST

Fear of learning the truth about ourselves: It can be frightening when God reveals our sin.
Fear of what the Lord may require. Don’t refuse to listen to God’s instructions, or you will limit your spiritual growth. The Lord will strengthen you and help you obey Him

John 15:4
Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.

THE REWARDS

Removal of spiritual blockages
Tell the Father, “Lord, search me. Reveal my heart and show me how to obey You.” He will be faithful to disclose what hinders your walk with Him.

Greater intimacy with God
When your conscience is clear, you will experience a closer friendship with the Lord.

Deeper fulfillment
Not only will your relationship with God be healthy, but He will also prompt you to set things right with other people. You will experience more peace, contentment, and joy.

Increased priority of time with God
Those who allow the Father to examine their hearts will make room in their schedules for studying the Scriptures and praying.

Renewed energy
Worry, resentment, fear, and other ungodly attitudes drain our energy. When we become spiritually healthy, serving God is a joy instead of a duty.

Spiritual freedom
Some people go through life blaming unhappiness on other individuals, society, or circumstances. But God can show you how to be joyful and forgiving, regardless of your situation.

CONCLUSION

Maybe your spiritual growth has stagnated. Or perhaps you simply want to make sure your heart is clear before the Father. In either case, pray as King David did: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way” (Ps. 139:23-24). The Holy Spirit will reveal what impedes your walk with God and show you the way to freedom. Let today be the start of a fresh, new season of spiritual growth.

GOD BLESS wink

(1) (Reply)

Reprisals For Today's Christmas Day Bombings In Nigeria / Why Christians Are Silent On Boko Haram Issue? / TB Joshua - The Most Famous Nigerian In South Africa (Daily Trust)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.