Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,078 members, 7,835,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. (31747 Views)

Timini Egbuson: Why I Stopped Attending Church / Oyedepo Offers Closing Sermon At Pastor Dare Adeboye's Farewell Service / Femi Aribisala: How I Stopped The Rain At My Niece's Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by victorVIC1(m): 10:40am On Jan 29, 2023
This got me laughing
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by faceLAGOS: 10:47am On Jan 29, 2023
Timagex:
A long time ago, when I was still a very curious kid, i asked mum why people close eyes during prayers. She told me that, during prayers, an angel is always on patrol and the angel pokes the eyes of people who dare open their eyes!!! shocked shocked. I was greatly afraid. This created a sense of fear in me and I always close my eyes tightly during any form of prayer. I started suspecting all those prayer warriors who walk around during prayers maybe they were angels. grin

One day, I needed to pay a certain fee, so, I came all the way from children church to adult church. There was an intense prayer session going on. I became afraid as there was no way to go in with my eyes closed. I peered and looked (maybe I will see the angel and dodge him) but, I didn't see anything. I rushed in, located my mum and she opened her purse to give me the money. She also asked me a few questions. She did all these with her eyes wide opened!! shocked Lo and behold, nothing happened to her eyes and my eyes. grin I was even more surprised when I saw the pastor with his eyes wide open while praying and leading prayers!!! shocked shocked. Abomination!! I waited in vain for the angel to strike, nothing happened. I was so disappointed and confused.

I started opening my eyes during prayers to see what will happen. Nothing. The problem now was, there was no way to tell mummy of my discovery without telling her that I now open my eyes during prayers. My position was, I was either deceived or the angel forgot our church. grin grin

Over 20 years ago and still smile any time I remember. cool cool. I'm not a consistent church goer these days tho....

Happy Sunday beautiful people. May God shine his light unto us. smiley

I don’t close my eyes during any prayer session, except I’m doing the praying alone.

In fact, I’m more alert when everyone has close their eyes in prayers.

That was how the colonizers told us to close our eyes while they stole our stuffs & handed the Bible to us.

Religion is for mad people.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by CaptMarvel(m): 10:51am On Jan 29, 2023
Mr. Story teller.. Continue 😌
Timagex:
A long time ago, when I was still a very curious kid, i asked mum why people close eyes during prayers. She told me that, during prayers, an angel is always on patrol and the angel pokes the eyes of people who dare open their eyes!!! shocked shocked. I was greatly afraid. This created a sense of fear in me and I always close my eyes tightly during any form of prayer. I started suspecting all those prayer warriors who walk around during prayers maybe they were angels. grin

One day, I needed to pay a certain fee, so, I came all the way from children church to adult church. There was an intense prayer session going on. I became afraid as there was no way to go in with my eyes closed. I peered and looked (maybe I will see the angel and dodge him) but, I didn't see anything. I rushed in, located my mum and she opened her purse to give me the money. She also asked me a few questions. She did all these with her eyes wide opened!! shocked Lo and behold, nothing happened to her eyes and my eyes. grin I was even more surprised when I saw the pastor with his eyes wide open while praying and leading prayers!!! shocked shocked. Abomination!! I waited in vain for the angel to strike, nothing happened. I was so disappointed and confused.

I started opening my eyes during prayers to see what will happen. Nothing. The problem now was, there was no way to tell mummy of my discovery without telling her that I now open my eyes during prayers. My position was, I was either deceived or the angel forgot our church. grin grin

Over 20 years ago and still smile any time I remember. cool cool. I'm not a consistent church goer these days tho....

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Ladymillion(f): 11:02am On Jan 29, 2023
Timagex:

LWKMD!
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Odingo1: 11:07am On Jan 29, 2023
faceLAGOS:

I don’t close my eyes during any prayer session, except I’m doing the praying alone.

In fact, I’m more alert when everyone has close their eyes in prayers.

That was how the colonizers told us to close our eyes while they stole our stuffs & handed the Bible to us.

Religion is for mad people.

Religion is not for mad people, one have to practice religion with sense. Not the type in Nigeria where the members bring tithe to their pastors to be acquiring private jets, expensive bulletproof cars and security entourage for protection.
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by alizma: 11:13am On Jan 29, 2023
Bahamas95:
Closing of eyes is just a way of avoiding distraction.

Our parents told us many lies back then to guide us.
They didn't lie, they only did the needful at that age of their children

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by drololaaof: 11:21am On Jan 29, 2023
Timagex:

It is just to be more attentive and concentrate opening of eyes will cause distraction

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Chetas81(m): 11:28am On Jan 29, 2023
malvisguy212:
it is OK to pray with your eyes open....but when you are sorrowful and regret your actions (repentance) you bow your head and with your eyes closed.
HOW LONG WILL CONTINUE TO BELIEVED IN WHAT THE BRITISH COLONY SOLD TO US AS AN AFRICAN CITIZENS

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Afolue(m): 11:31am On Jan 29, 2023
It is usually after growing up we kids of then begin realizing many things outa curiosity many years later l that even our parents and elders were ignorant of
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by SpockFederation: 11:40am On Jan 29, 2023
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by KeyEndurance: 11:41am On Jan 29, 2023
Closing Of Eyes Is Very Good i Can still Remember The Prayer I Made This Money With My eyes Open
The Prayer Was Like oh lord may my father and my MOTHER live long ( my mom died 2 years ago) the Season For The Prayer Was That a Girl Pass My Front with Big back and Tiet mini skirt.
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by mastermaestro(m): 11:54am On Jan 29, 2023
fennels007:
I stopped closing my eyes during prayer WHEN ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS TOLD ME HOW HE CAME INTO MY STORE AND STOOD WATCHING ME PRAY FOR SOMETIME and left. To convince me that he came, he described everything in my store including the spot I left my phone. I was shock and humiliated.

Common you outdid yourself. Why would you close your eyes while praying at your business place? grin You mostly close your eyes and pray while locked up alone in a private place.

As a pastor on the altar leading prayers, wisdom requires that you open your eyes if not throughout, but intermittently. Never lose site of your environment. wink
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by mastermaestro(m): 11:57am On Jan 29, 2023
Franking:
Prayer sef is a session of wishful deluded thinking.

Armchair philosopher, kudos. grin
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by mastermaestro(m): 11:58am On Jan 29, 2023
MichaelSokoto:
Angel might not have time 2 shook hand 4 ya eye now comrade, buh I assure u dat our resident nl MOG here won't hesitate 2 do dat, free of charge 4 angel if called upon.
grin

Your signature though. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Bahamas95(m): 12:07pm On Jan 29, 2023
alizma:

They didn't lie, they only did the needful at that age of their children
It doesn't make any difference, six and half a dozen is same thing.

They told us SWEET LIES to discourage us from doing bad things.

Example.....

Mummy :- Rita don't allow any boy touch your hand or hold your waist.

Rita :- Why mummy?

Mummy :- You'll get pregnant.
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by BRATISLAVA: 12:13pm On Jan 29, 2023
MITCHELL96:
πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

I still close my eyes when I pray shaa, it makes the connection and communication real since you can't see Jesus with your physical eyes.

Closing your eyes also helps in concentration.

I remember praying one time like that and something just made me open my eyes and It was straight at one magazine on the side table which had a nude lady as the cover, it made me lose focus I swear but I still managed to pray but that girl pic was still ringing in my head and mind πŸ˜†

Now, tell me if that wasn't the work of the devil to distract me, Satan uses many means to trick people.

You're amusing.

If it's a distraction while praying, why isn't looking at such a magazine not a distraction to your Christian life at other times? Are you not in communion with your god at all times? Or is it only present when your eyes are closed in prayers?

2 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by BRATISLAVA: 12:15pm On Jan 29, 2023
Bahamas95:
It doesn't make any difference, six and half a dozen is same thing.

They told us SWEET LIES to discourage us from doing bad things.

Example.....

Mummy :- Rita don't allow any boy touch your hand or hold your waist.

Rita :- Why mummy?

Mummy :- You'll get pregnant.

And today, what has all that caution done to stop you from your lifestyle of posting phornographic tales here?
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by kelmicheal: 12:16pm On Jan 29, 2023
Bahamas95:

not really true because everything is on the heart ( your mind) not closing of eyes, you may closed your eyes yet your concentrations is not there is either you thinking many things both negative or positive thinking
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by ultimateprof: 12:20pm On Jan 29, 2023
Bahamas95:

That's the same way Bala blu used to close his eyes in order to avoid distractions 🀣🀣🀣
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by cocoduck: 12:21pm On Jan 29, 2023
nigeriancritic1:
Your mum was right. Depends on the level of prayer and the presence of Holy spirit in the gathering.

We had a powerful vigil around 1996 and my immediate younger brother opened his eyes mid prayer. He got slapped and never knew who did it.

I remember we were warned not to open our eyes that night.

I was present at the vigil and I know how powerful out prophet was. The prophet was later weakened.

We lack holiness these days and we can't get much of that powerful presence.
na person slap am, no be angel
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by BRATISLAVA: 12:22pm On Jan 29, 2023
Odingo1:

Religion is not for mad people, one have to practice religion with sense. Not the type in Nigeria where the members bring tithe to their pastors to be acquiring private jets, expensive bulletproof cars and security entourage for protection.

Do you think it's only in Nigeria that pastors acquire lives of extreme luxury?
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Franking: 12:31pm On Jan 29, 2023
mastermaestro:

Armchair philosopher, kudos. grin

Soldier of Christ, dooh.
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by MITCHELL96: 12:36pm On Jan 29, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

You're amusing.

If it's a distraction while praying, why isn't looking at such a magazine not a distraction to your Christian life at other times? Are you not in communion with your god at all times? Or is it only present when your eyes are closed in prayers?

They're many good contents in the magazine, you should know something about marketing strategy, the magazine had an unclad lady in front of it, this is to catch people's attention to either read or purchase it.

We know how this modern world works, things of the devil's sells faster than things of God.

Now, this magazine has been here and haven't affected my Christian life because when I'm not praying, I'm connected to things if of the world.

But why did I open my eyes and stared straight at it the moment I was trying to pray? It was as if someone tapped me, and you know when someone taps you when your eyes is closed, you'll definitely open your eyes to see who it is.

There's something fishy and I know the devil works.

And back to your question, if you're in communion with God at all times, when will you have time to work on your self on this earth? God doesn't work like that, that's why the bible said there's time for everything.

If it's by how you see it or think it should be, then Oyedepo, Adeboye and all those men of God will be praising and praying to God 24/7 all the rest of their lives.

There's a lot of distractions going on in today's world, you could just sit on your own and a lady with big ass just stands in your front, now, that's a distraction because your mind was actually on something else before the big ass lady came and without discipline and self control, it might lead you to something else, make you start lusting over her or imagining her on your bed.

This is applicable to every other thing.
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Bolutumiii(m): 12:36pm On Jan 29, 2023
I think it's not bad to close eyes during prayers to avoid distractions
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Dearlord(m): 12:43pm On Jan 29, 2023
Wrong way to teach a child the truth.

My Mom told me to close my eyes when I pray as a sign of respect to God and it helps you to be focused why praying
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by zedman1(m): 1:39pm On Jan 29, 2023
nigeriancritic1:
Your mum was right. Depends on the level of prayer and the presence of Holy spirit in the gathering.

We had a powerful vigil around 1996 and my immediate younger brother opened his eyes mid prayer. He got slapped and never knew who did it.

I remember we were warned not to open our eyes that night.

I was present at the vigil and I know how powerful out prophet was. The prophet was later weakened.

We lack holiness these days and we can't get much of that powerful presence.
Right? Really? Angels come to poke opened eyes during prayers? You believe that? Then in your brother's case, what if someone was actually monitoring you kids and caught him opening his eyes then gave a stealth slap? Or still, what if your bro was just telling a childish lie like some kids do? Do you know some children lie unnecessarily..... and a lot too, until they come of age before they desist? Ask yourself questions sometimes bro.
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by lomprico(m): 1:46pm On Jan 29, 2023
Timagex:

What you just narrated here is 100% how religion works. They use fear to compell you to do things not necessary. For example they will tell you hell fire is sure for you when you don't pay tithe which is a very fat lie. Rogues.
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by MessiahOfAfrica(m): 1:48pm On Jan 29, 2023
Bahamas95:
You're right but it's an African thing. Most African parents find it difficult to say some certain things because they believe children are too young to hear them which is wrong. Like for instance they won't mention the word "Penis" in front of their children. They would prefer to call it funny names like tintin, sintè, pimpim etc. grin

I taught my 14yr old cousin so many things she knows now, her mum is the religious type who would prefer to speak in parables. Whenever I am giving her sex education I don't hold back anything, I say it raw.

You are Topmost Right.

Very True.

Liked, Shared and Followed.
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Kinzo0917(m): 2:06pm On Jan 29, 2023
MITCHELL96:
πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

I still close my eyes when I pray shaa, it makes the connection and communication real since you can't see Jesus with your physical eyes.

Closing your eyes also helps in concentration.

I remember praying one time like that and something just made me open my eyes and It was straight at one magazine on the side table which had a nude lady as the cover, it made me lose focus I swear but I still managed to pray but that girl pic was still ringing in my head and mind πŸ˜†

Now, tell me if that wasn't the work of the devil to distract me, Satan uses many means to trick people.
. You just made me laff with your comment. Bless you man
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by President2001(m): 2:30pm On Jan 29, 2023
There's no law or enforcement that people should closed their eyes we only do that so that we can concentrate or not distracted
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by phemmyfour: 2:49pm On Jan 29, 2023
Timagex:

Olodo
It's not mandatory to close your eyes, it's only necessary to help your mind from going astray due to unnecessary distraction.

If you ve trained and discipline yourself to that level, you can always pray while your eyes are opened.
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Onliie(m): 3:03pm On Jan 29, 2023
Timagex:

Your mom's action is similar to African pastors that use fear factor to coerce people into worshipping God, they manipulate people instead of baring the truth and let people choose by themselves what they want. This action had alienated many people from worshipping God in truth. Many have become atheist because of this

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DSS Invites Apostle Suleman Over Unguided Rant / The Gift I Received That Changed My Life Forever / Is Pastor John Obayemi Still The RCCG General Overseer In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.