Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,809 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:47 PM

Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. (31705 Views)

Timini Egbuson: Why I Stopped Attending Church / Oyedepo Offers Closing Sermon At Pastor Dare Adeboye's Farewell Service / Femi Aribisala: How I Stopped The Rain At My Niece's Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Timagex(m): 7:37am On Jan 29, 2023
A long time ago, when I was still a very curious kid, i asked mum why people close eyes during prayers. She told me that, during prayers, an angel is always on patrol and the angel pokes the eyes of people who dare open their eyes!!! shocked shocked. I was greatly afraid. This created a sense of fear in me and I always close my eyes tightly during any form of prayer. I started suspecting all those prayer warriors who walk around during prayers maybe they were angels. grin

One day, I needed to pay a certain fee, so, I came all the way from children church to adult church. There was an intense prayer session going on. I became afraid as there was no way to go in with my eyes closed. I peered and looked (maybe I will see the angel and dodge him) but, I didn't see anything. I rushed in, located my mum and she opened her purse to give me the money. She also asked me a few questions. She did all these with her eyes wide opened!! shocked Lo and behold, nothing happened to her eyes and my eyes. grin I was even more surprised when I saw the pastor with his eyes wide open while praying and leading prayers!!! shocked shocked. Abomination!! I waited in vain for the angel to strike, nothing happened. I was so disappointed and confused.

I started opening my eyes during prayers to see what will happen. Nothing. The problem now was, there was no way to tell mummy of my discovery without telling her that I now open my eyes during prayers. My position was, I was either deceived or the angel forgot our church. grin grin

Over 20 years ago and still smile any time I remember. cool cool. I'm not a consistent church goer these days tho....

Happy Sunday beautiful people. May God shine his light unto us. smiley

259 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Bahamas95(m): 7:39am On Jan 29, 2023
Closing of eyes is just a way of avoiding distraction.

Our parents told us many lies back then to guide us.

416 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Timagex(m): 7:39am On Jan 29, 2023
In case my thread makes it to the promise land, kindly check my profile and patronize my business.

I am a wedding photographer based in Ibadan, Nigeria. I also create events related contents. Go through my profile.

Thank you.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Honchoslim16(m): 7:42am On Jan 29, 2023
Lmao 🀣

Dtruthspeaker, over to you

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by MITCHELL96: 7:49am On Jan 29, 2023
πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

I still close my eyes when I pray shaa, it makes the connection and communication real since you can't see Jesus with your physical eyes.

Closing your eyes also helps in concentration.

I remember praying one time like that and something just made me open my eyes and It was straight at one magazine on the side table which had a nude lady as the cover, it made me lose focus I swear but I still managed to pray but that girl pic was still ringing in my head and mind πŸ˜†

Now, tell me if that wasn't the work of the devil to distract me, Satan uses many means to trick people.

121 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by AntiChristian: 7:50am On Jan 29, 2023
So your mum lied now?

4 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by sorextee(m): 8:00am On Jan 29, 2023
I believed that lie wen I was younger too.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by ProphetChi: 8:00am On Jan 29, 2023
Childlike state is a wonderful realm. Adults who shatter this realm without good reason should be prosecuted.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Goldenisssilenc: 8:03am On Jan 29, 2023
People who close eye during prayers also close eyes during sex..i dey avoid them

3 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Dtruthspeaker: 8:28am On Jan 29, 2023
Timagex:
Prayer warriors, why do we really have to close eyes during prayers?

It is for you to leave earth (physical/flesh) and for your soul to enter heaven (spirit) where God is.

Modified
That is one of the lessons church goers never get nor observe personally even when it has happened to them as MITCHELL96 has experienced

3 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by malvisguy212: 8:31am On Jan 29, 2023
it is OK to pray with your eyes open....but when you are sorrowful and regret your actions (repentance) you bow your head and with your eyes closed.

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Dtruthspeaker: 8:43am On Jan 29, 2023
malvisguy212:
it is OK to pray with your eyes open....but when you are sorrowful and regret your actions (repentance) you bow your head and with your eyes closed.

One of the best moments when your soul rises. That is why the Bible Said house of mourning. Those are are some of the many codes the Bible dropped and people have experienced but they do not real eyes that that is what the Bible is telling them, so they miss it and they have wasted church going.
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by pocohantas(f): 9:18am On Jan 29, 2023
Timagex:
Prayer warriors, why do we really have to close eyes during prayers?

For concentration. It is not hard to figure out.
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by laivwire(m): 9:18am On Jan 29, 2023
My teachers actually told me they would poke me in the eye if I opened them during prayers. Not angels, humans grin

I believe closing my eyes makes me look inwards rather than outwards. It shuts off distractions and helps me focus on inner events. I can meditate and listen to what my inner person is saying or doing. Thats what I need during prayers.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by SodiumValproate: 9:19am On Jan 29, 2023
The purpose for people closing their eyes is to focus, concentrate and avoid visual distractions.

Imagine me praying and I see Meghan thee stallion and Cardi B twerking angry

πŸ€” I will be annoyed but I will still have my erection.😠

I don't like their nonsense angry

7 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by marlow1962(m): 9:19am On Jan 29, 2023
🀣
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Bishopadaidu(m): 9:20am On Jan 29, 2023
You never see something
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by jogsman01(m): 9:20am On Jan 29, 2023
Mine is that I feel anybody fit come in during prayers and start shooting. I need to be vigilant FAA!

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Tokskob2008: 9:20am On Jan 29, 2023
Lol... Naija kind of Christianity is something else.

you need to close your eyes before your prayers can be answered.

You need to shout and scream off your heads out before God can hear your prayers lol.

If you don't give tithes your prayers can't and won't get to God, funny enough the money for offering and tithes doesn't get to God either lol.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by tollyboy5(m): 9:20am On Jan 29, 2023
Bahamas95:

Lies that were not necessary.

Why will my mummy tell me pastor takes offering to give God. sad

Now I no dey near church sef.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by updatechange(m): 9:21am On Jan 29, 2023
WeyreyπŸ˜‚
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by BunnyWorldNg: 9:21am On Jan 29, 2023
wink
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by CrownedPhoenix: 9:22am On Jan 29, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

One of the best moments when your soul rises. That is why the Bible Said house of mourning. Those are are some of the many codes the Bible dropped and people have experienced but they do not real eyes that that is what the Bible is telling them, so they miss it and they have wasted church going.

Dey try write clearly make people dey understand

6 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by nigeriancritic1(m): 9:23am On Jan 29, 2023
Your mum was right. Depends on the level of prayer and the presence of Holy spirit in the gathering.

We had a powerful vigil around 1996 and my immediate younger brother opened his eyes mid prayer. He got slapped and never knew who did it.

I remember we were warned not to open our eyes that night.

I was present at the vigil and I know how powerful out prophet was. The prophet was later weakened.

We lack holiness these days and we can't get much of that powerful presence.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Lionmachala(m): 9:23am On Jan 29, 2023
πŸ™‹. Can we all close our eyes let pray

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Inhuman69: 9:23am On Jan 29, 2023
Can we ever send a Nigerian to to space
-No
Why?
- cause they keep praying to themselves eyes open πŸ’€πŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by Shebbs: 9:23am On Jan 29, 2023
Timagex:
A long time ago, when I was still a very curious kid, i asked mum why people close eyes during prayers. She told me that, during prayers, an angel is always on patrol and the angel pokes the eyes of people who dare open their eyes!!! shocked shocked. I was greatly afraid. This created a sense of fear in me and I always close my eyes tightly during any form of prayer. I started suspecting all those prayer warriors who walk around during prayers maybe they were angels. grin

One day, I needed to pay a certain fee, so, I came all the way from children church to adult church. There was an intense prayer session going on. I became afraid as there was no way to go in with my eyes closed. I peered and looked (maybe I will see the angel and dodge him) but, I didn't see anything. I rushed in, located my mum and she opened her purse to give me the money. She also asked me a few questions. She did all these with her eyes wide opened!! shocked Lo and behold, nothing happened to her eyes and my eyes. grin I was even more surprised when I saw the pastor with his eyes wide open while praying and leading prayers!!! shocked shocked. Abomination!! I waited in vain for the angel to strike, nothing happened. I was so disappointed and confused.

I started opening my eyes during prayers to see what will happen. Nothing. The problem now was, there was no way to tell mummy of my discovery without telling her that I now open my eyes during prayers. My position was, I was either deceived or the angel forgot our church. grin grin

Over 20 years ago and still smile any time I remember. cool cool. I'm not a consistent church goer these days tho....

Happy Sunday beautiful people. May God shine his light unto us. smiley

"I was either deceived or the angel forgot our church." Got me.🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

1 Like

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by StarFist(m): 9:23am On Jan 29, 2023
Disobedient child
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by fennels007(m): 9:24am On Jan 29, 2023
I stopped closing my eyes during prayer WHEN ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS TOLD ME HOW HE CAME INTO MY STORE AND STOOD WATCHING ME PRAY FOR SOMETIME and left. To convince me that he came, he described everything in my store including the spot I left my phone. I was shock and humiliated.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by SALLYBERRY01(m): 9:25am On Jan 29, 2023
Happy Sunday
Re: Why I Stopped Closing My Eyes During Prayers. by MessiahOfAfrica(m): 9:25am On Jan 29, 2023
Bahamas95:

If the foundation is faulty, what can the righteous do?

There was never a need to lie to children who needed The RIGHT and SAFE Education.

Now; Many of The Kids that have been lied to over the years are Already Grown Adults Breeding More Lies in Their Own Confusions Too.

We should grow our children with the RIGHT Information and Knowledge. They will understand. It is better than lying to them.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ex-Knight Accuses Bishop Ibezim Of Corruption, Gets Arrested / Is It Right For Non-muslims To Accept Food Used In Breaking The Ramadan Fasting? / EndSARS: Pastor Enenche On Protest 'Nigerians Have Been Keeping Quiet For Long'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.