Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,945 members, 7,845,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace (9701 Views)

How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? / How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Job Rejection? / How To Move On From A Toxic Workplace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by Ogsirsolo: 1:17pm On Feb 02, 2023
Eat and relax myself
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by ImpregnaTor(m): 1:17pm On Feb 02, 2023
Be toxic yourself
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by lite15(m): 1:21pm On Feb 02, 2023
Immediately i saw indians i just laugh grin those people are toxic to work with. I have worked with them before so i understand their attitude and behaviours they are terrible.
It's better to have a healthy metal heath than working for money in a toxic work place.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by mozona(m): 1:21pm On Feb 02, 2023
change am for them with good reason though, let them sack you
and you sue them.

if it is not your job description dont do it, if you have to tell the person is the last time
you will do it cos is not your job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by folake4u(f): 1:22pm On Feb 02, 2023
Mental health is underrated. Do anything for your peace of mind. 🙂

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by VULCAN(m): 1:22pm On Feb 02, 2023
This write up is a complete failure because a vote for Tinubu is a vote for Boko Haram.

If you were still in Primary school when Shettima began funding Boko Haram, some of us were not.

Tinubu is both physically and mentally
Incapacitated to handle the affairs of Nigeria.

Shettima will rule us and I won't sit down while a Terrorist becomes our defacto president

God Forbid

mainman7:
Yes, not easy at all my brother, especially Southern Nigeria which is far more toxic because many have been mentally Enslaved to Ridicule the very Courageous ones that Manup to fight for them.

Sincerely, Wike is a very Courageous Southern Nigerian Man. Wike and the others of the 5G Group have demostarted exceptional Bravery, Gallantry and Leadership in forewarning indigenous Nigerians of colossal Danger of senselessly submitting your own neck to those that want to Behead you. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw some Brian-dead Coward Southerners having the effrontery to call Wike coward, these Brainless Directionaless Hopeless Useless Sad Souls have never done anything close to what Sunday Igboho did to Courageously DisPower the Invaders.

Those that inavded Nigeria Centuries ago with Plan to take over our Ancestral FatherLand and eternally Enslave all on it are the ones manipulating Orginal Nigeirans against one another. Remember how Ethnicity and Tribalism was non-Existent throughout 8 Years Tenue of the great Olusegun Obasanjo because he sees all Indigenous Nigeirans as his Brothers and Sisters, and gave all Tribes top Positions in Government with Ethnic Frivolities.

No matter how the Invaders Pretend to love you and use you against your Southern Brothers, the "Born to Rule" Mentality with which they came would always make them see you as their Slaves. Only by Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas, Kanuris and others Uniting to Support Tinubu that is best Positioned to wrest Power from their hand this Month, only by that shall we ensure that their Wicked Plan will never see the Light of Day. This is the bitter Truth that some may not Love to hear, but the Truth is the Truth and Scripture says "You can do nothing against the Truth but for the Truth."

God has the Veto Power on whom to chose to use to help a People. Indigenous Nigerians Urgently Need Help! If you People miss this Opportunity... If God has chosen someone to help Prevent a People from becoming eternally Enslaved and brutally killed, it is only Self-destructive foolishness that would make the People to Reject and Command God on whom to use to save their Dangerous Situation.

May your senseless myopic Hate for Tinubu never make you give your neck to your Enemies that have fully Prepare to cut it off!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by JohnOkolo: 1:24pm On Feb 02, 2023
YoungLionken:
The best way to suppress and eventually overcome any pain/toxicity from people, is to begin to enjoy it (pain)..

Motivate and encourage yourself to believe that it's part of the process. With this mindset, there's nothing you won't overcome...

Forbid you and your thought process.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by IamtheTruth1(m): 1:28pm On Feb 02, 2023
jonili:
I've seen numerous topics in the past about toxic workplaces but I never thought I was going to find myself in one of them. Share your experience and how you were able cope till you left.

I'll go first.

My current employers are indians, I've heard stories about them and how toxic they are, but I am not the type to generalize, I always believe most of those people who complains were just unlucky to meet mean indian bosses but my perception about them is changing, between Dec 2022 and Jan 2023, more than 8 people have resigned, some left without resigning just to have peace. Salaries are paid towards the end of another month, no confirmation for staffs, no appraisals, no promotion or salary increase, no good process, people are always assigned tasks that aren't their responsibilities, bosses always nagging, with narcissistic tendencies.

They lack good leadership skills, their only method of communication is to yell at you, they would try to intimidate you, blame you for their mistakes, they also believe they can always get away with anything. I feel the only I feel the only way to manage the situation is to get away from the toxic environment.
Now I feel like resigning just to clear my head but I can't quite just to sit at home and they are very much aware of the high unemployment rate in Nigeria, that gives them even more confidence to mistreat Nigerians.

Share your experience on how you were able to cope before getting another opportunity.

Lol.. you must have worked in a steel industry. Asians are the worst set of people you can work for. You will work your life. No matter the amount they pay you, it will question your sanity and mind peace.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by pocohantas(f): 1:29pm On Feb 02, 2023
I have just one thing to say,

Please, there is nothing like STAFFS.
Do not be tempted to pluralise STAFF.

Thank you!

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by jonili(m): 1:36pm On Feb 02, 2023
Goodlady:
I no fit cope. I resign with any slight opportunity. There was a time I taught briefly in a sec sch in Abj for 3months.
The day I gave the principal hot response, she became normal and accorded me due respect since that day.

I v heard about how terrible Indians and Lebanese are.
Nigerian law in favour of employees is presently weaker than the law in favour of employers. If not, indians n Lebanese ll be regular scape goats to govts. But we are getting there.

I guess most people stick to the toxic workplaces as a result of lack of opportunities, and most times you don't get to grow or improve in those workplaces.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by jonili(m): 1:36pm On Feb 02, 2023
pocohantas:

Thank you!

Point well noted
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by jonili(m): 1:38pm On Feb 02, 2023
IamtheTruth1:

Lol.. you must have worked in a steel industry. Asians are the worst set of people you can work for. You will work your life. No matter the amount they pay you, it will question your sanity and mind peace.

Not a steel industry, this guys are in almost all sector

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by jonili(m): 1:41pm On Feb 02, 2023
JohnOkolo:

Forbid you and your thought process.

Enjoy toxicity sad
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by elonmuskbaby: 1:44pm On Feb 02, 2023
jonili:
I've seen numerous topics in the past about toxic workplaces but I never thought I was going to find myself in one of them. Share your experience and how you were able cope till you left.

I'll go first.

My current employers are indians, I've heard stories about them and how toxic they are, but I am not the type to generalize, I always believe most of those people who complains were just unlucky to meet mean indian bosses but my perception about them is changing, between Dec 2022 and Jan 2023, more than 8 people have resigned, some left without resigning just to have peace. Salaries are paid towards the end of another month, no confirmation for staffs, no appraisals, no promotion or salary increase, no good process, people are always assigned tasks that aren't their responsibilities, bosses always nagging, with narcissistic tendencies.

They lack good leadership skills, their only method of communication is to yell at you, they would try to intimidate you, blame you for their mistakes, they also believe they can always get away with anything. I feel the only I feel the only way to manage the situation is to get away from the toxic environment.
Now I feel like resigning just to clear my head but I can't quite just to sit at home and they are very much aware of the high unemployment rate in Nigeria, that gives them even more confidence to mistreat Nigerians.

Share your experience on how you were able to cope before getting another opportunity.

you better Start looking for better places and if you can't find at least resign first.most people make the mistake of tolerating or enduring narcissistic bosses.you have to understand that narcissist don't change and it's even worse when you have such as bosses.they are demon possessed and they don't even know it because they devise clever ways to oppress and bully those under them and do it in a non obvious way (covert narcissism) it only takes a discerning person to detect when they are projecting their nastiness on you

Another irritating thing about them is their entitlement over you and their constant non stop nagging.how do you want to thrive or be productive in an environment where your boss is constantly complaining about everything.its irritating.one day you will be pushed to the wall.wait for the month to end , collect your money and bounce.

One thing narcissistic bosses can't stand is for them not to have control over you again.you don't even have to
Tell him that you want to resign.after collecting your salary just tell him to fvck off.e dey pain them.narcisst do not change so don't even bother

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by LogicallySXT(m): 1:45pm On Feb 02, 2023
seanwilliam:
Peace is underrated

Do you load banks?
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by Tallesty1(m): 1:50pm On Feb 02, 2023
pocohantas:

Thank you!
You sure say you no get GPS like this? tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by pocohantas(f): 1:54pm On Feb 02, 2023
Tallesty1:
You sure say you no get GPS like this? tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

Why? cheesy
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by Mamaafrik1(m): 1:58pm On Feb 02, 2023
jonili:

I'll go first.

Indian companies or Lebanese companies and Chinese companies are always like that, the only thing you can do( I'm talking from experience) is to resign find better company. like you are always going to be scared of opening your place of works gate anytime you're entering the gate you see this anxiety all over you and anytime you wake up in the morning it's always going to be anxiety ,the best thing is to leave

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 2:00pm On Feb 02, 2023
jonili:

Not a steel industry, this guys are in almost all sector
because most Nigerians esp the voiciferous ones are very dumb stupid

That's why Chinese and Indians are dominating everywhere
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by Tallesty1(m): 2:01pm On Feb 02, 2023
pocohantas:

Why? cheesy

You don't correct the errors in people's grammars like this before.
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by Kaycee54321(m): 2:06pm On Feb 02, 2023
pocohantas:

Thank you!

Staffs is quite correct in some instances.

The staffs of Stanbic & First Bank have a football match...

The staff of First Bank will LOSE...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by anochuko01(m): 2:09pm On Feb 02, 2023
YOU LEAVE!

Build your capacity to the point where you're never scared of quitting a job.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by dollynnn(f): 2:17pm On Feb 02, 2023
Kaycee54321:

The "Corrector" got "Corrected" cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by pocohantas(f): 2:29pm On Feb 02, 2023
Kaycee54321:

Not in this instance.

Tallesty1:
You don't correct the errors in people's grammars like this before.

I was reading through and saw it. I had to comment first, then go back to finish.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by womaniser(m): 2:39pm On Feb 02, 2023
jonili:

and they are very much aware of the high unemployment rate in Nigeria, that gives them even more confidence to mistreat Nigerians.

These are the lies they want you to believe.

I saw the topic and the first thought that came to mind was my experience in an Indian company. A multinational one for that matter and no matter how juicy the offer is, I'll never work for an Indian company again. Both in Nigeria and abroad, they are all the same. It's a culture and philosophy they all follow.
I can write an epistle on the Indian way of managing people and business but I'll save that for later.

Just as you explained, they thrive on squeezing out the most out of nothing and thrive on intimidation and suppression not just to Nigerian nationals but Indian nationals as well. I laugh when I see people sign up for an Indian coy because even though they smile, I know they're going through a lot.

How did I manage?

First I did my job and left no space for complaints or criticism. I know it's comparatively rough in the company but pending when a better opportunity comes, I'll focus on what I have in hand.

Consequently, point 1 helped me preserve my self respect. I know what I possess and I know how old I am. I won't tolerate denigration in any way. The Indian bosses talked anyhow to anyone but not to me. I won't take it and I communicated that stance in non verbal personal and social characteristics.

3. Ask again and again about what is required of you before you do it. Get clarity from your boss. Let him know he's understood and you're not disrespectful or undermining him in any way. Infact help him achieve his targets and I tell you he will be your friend. The indians compete among themselves and feel like fish out of water when they are assigned roles in Nigeria.
Help him perform and let him take the glory, don't complain or join other colleagues in gossip. He'll respect you for this.

I must note however that you do not stoop to cheap eye service.

4. Constantly grind away at getting another job. Always apply and find a way out. Don't think of 'starting your own business' for now because I know your salary will be paltry. Just grind until you get another job.

5. Leave on a good note so they don't haunt you after you've left. Give him notice that you're leaving when things click. Don't spring surprise resignations. You will need some referees down the road. Ensure you can always call him later to be your ref. Be in good terms with your HR too. It helps.

Good luck

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by GloriousGbola: 3:06pm On Feb 02, 2023
pocohantas:

Thank you!

ishilove berra tell this small geh nairaland has only one recognized grammar nazi
she is gunning for your uncontested, undisputed crown

this intrusion into your territory cannot pass 😈
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by pocohantas(f): 3:15pm On Feb 02, 2023
GloriousGbola:

ishilove berra tell this small geh nairaland has only one recognized grammar nazi
she is gunning for your uncontested, undisputed crown

this intrusion into your territory cannot pass 😈

That wasn’t the intention at all cheesy. I saw it and commented without thinking it through sef. Thanks to Kaycee for throwing in the other perspective. It is always this one 99% if the time. Staffs within one organisation.
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by Mekzmoney(m): 3:20pm On Feb 02, 2023
My friend's boss developed hatred for him the first week he resumed, he then believed when people says that some people would hate you for no reason... He started by asking him not to dress corporate to work, that it's a factory job and not bank's and he works in the office.. grin

To fast forward the story. He started discrediting his work, telling the CEO that he's not doing his work well and the CEO doesn't call staff to ask or verify.. He was supposed to be confirmed, have a salary increase after 6 months but he'll be 2 years by end of this month and he's not been confirmed. His salary is less than 100k, he's not gone for casual leave cos he's not entitled for annual leave yet for 2 years now. Only medical leave when he was sick.

So bro, we've been enduring because it's better than sitting our ass at home sometimes. But he said he's tired. He's resigning soon, except someone has a better advice for him. cheesy

jonili:

I'll go first.

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by CodeTemplar: 3:55pm On Feb 02, 2023
Wait until you jam ratfaced Nigerians who will pressure you join them to worship/visit marine spirits in forest annually. They call it office politics and use SUG politicking in Uni to launder their practices.
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by jonili(m): 3:59pm On Feb 02, 2023
iwaeda:

Be friendly, but mind you own business. I once worked in such environment, but I survived. grin grin grin grin

I don't think this actually work
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by jonili(m): 4:06pm On Feb 02, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Wait until you jam ratfaced Nigerians who will pressure you join them to worship/visit marine spirits in forest annually. They call it office politics and use SUG politicking in Uni to launder their practices.

Do this really happen

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Reasons A Written Thank You Letter Can Land The Job / VETIVA Capital Management / Unilever Future Leaders program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.