Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,834 members, 7,834,798 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. (32831 Views)

I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car / A Few Weeks After I Bought My First Car, I Went Home Forgetting That I Had A Car / Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by olaeffect(m): 9:07pm On Feb 08, 2023
Learning to drive at a mature age is more difficult than learning to drive as an teenager😁

But please put your mind to it and it will become easy very soon.
No normal person learnt driving in a single day.
Anybody that you noticed that started driving in a very short period has been warming car, reversing and moving forward in the compound when no one was watching 🤣🤣🤣 (that was how some of us learnt as teenagers) then one day Gbam!!! We took our papa car out for a spin; and God brought us home safely.

I also learnt driving with manual, but I have not driven a manual car in the last 9yrs or so, manual is suffer-head, don't let anybody deceive you.

It is like saying you will be a better barber when you learn barbing with manual clipper than when you learn with electric clipper 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Semaj77(m): 9:07pm On Feb 08, 2023
eminikansoso:

Na so one idiot told me that Auto cars move faster and balance than manual specification.
I just wave my head and left

There's a reason why most , if not all , racing cars are manual

5 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by veneza(f): 9:07pm On Feb 08, 2023
Operator no get mind like me,I face same thing when I was learning 3months I kukuma stop after jaming two okada man sametime in a tight road.
For peace of mind by tomorrow go for the auto because even 5days no reach learn am well talk more of manual.

2 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by twosquare(m): 9:10pm On Feb 08, 2023
Never knew someone mentioned this before me...you know what's en vogue and what is coming.
Anonymoususher:
You allowed people to brainwash you that those who learnt only automatic don't know how to drive. That's total rubbish talk.

Manual is phasing out and so sef there will be no need for automatic because AI (driver less) cars are just so fast rising that a time will come and you just have to jump in and AI will do it's thing.

We are in a part of the world where the older generation believe that their own or style is always the best.

Save yourself the stress, go learn automatic and drive. Till you die you may never have need to drive a manual except you wan suffer yourself.

1 Like

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by eminikansoso(m): 9:12pm On Feb 08, 2023
Semaj77:

There's a reason why most , if not all , racing cars are manual
To text the driving skills of the drivers/racers
Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by PhillipPHD(m): 9:15pm On Feb 08, 2023
I always tell myself: as long as I could successfully learn how to roll a joint, manual driving and any technical skill at all can never be a problem for me.

2 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by RPG2020(m): 9:15pm On Feb 08, 2023
My 89 years old granny dey drive

Use this comment sleep think am till day break

Come back and give your testimony

2 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Jakama90(m): 9:16pm On Feb 08, 2023
Learning manual can be very stressful but it's the best. Don't give up. If you learn manual you can easily drive automatic.
I have been driving all kinds of automatic car's since 2006: I didn't not go to any driving school before I started driving automatic. I just hoop inside my Mercedes 230 then, hold the steering and move slowly until I became perfect.. Do you know the funny part of it: all this while I have been driving automatic, I cannot drive a manual car until last two years that I said no, this is abnormal. Then I went to a driving school to learn manual.

5 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Bluffly: 9:20pm On Feb 08, 2023
Janesouthall:
Mr man....you were told a lot about manual...you tot it will be easy as ABC but ur brain keep forgetting things hence you unable to learn it.

Stick or learn with automatic...because cars that are being import into the country are automatic and in the next 3 to 5 years I doubt if you will see manual car expect you wan drive truck or dangote trailer.
3 to 5 years indeed. Till you old die, there will always be stick cars

5 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by iLoveYouToo(m): 9:21pm On Feb 08, 2023
AutoManual:
I went to driving school today and meant with the guys there. I told them I want to learn manual. Even when some of them was telling me manual is fading out that majority of people are preferring to learn auto and they said some people who learn manual also came back to learn auto.

My reason was that if I can learn manual I can learn automatic, because I have heard that from people, I choose 5 days learning and they said 30minus & 1 hour has different prices, but I choose the 5 days 30 minutes, although I bargain the price. I filled the form and the driving session started.

Few minutes that we started I already giving up, I feel like not learning again. My concentration was not even there it was tidius to remember all this I need to do. Because I was forgetting all the things the guy told me before we started.

Here are my problem.
1. Understanding the pendel. Little press the car if jecking. When I applied brake it stop sudden and the vehicle will off abruptly.
2. Losing focus and what to do when I'm tens specially when I am approaching junction or a big car.
3. I am more concerned with the cars at my back or around me because I was moving slowly. The guy keep telling me to forget about them and focus on my side. Is document I filled said I will be the one to pay for damages incurred during the session.
3, knowing how and when to change the gear. I haven't mastered it and I feel it's too hard with the calculations. When I was filling the form there was some disclaimer on the document that I will be held responsible for any damages. I also learnt that the break is sometimes press. It was then I understand that the guy can press the brake from his own side of the car. Although I didn't tell him but I know.

Handling the wheel. To make a turn accurately on the road or control the wheel is really off.

Look like driving is really hard with manual

I was saving and planing to buy a Nigeria use car and I was focusing on manual because I heard people saying it easy to maintain but right now with the look of things I don't think I can buy manual again oh.

The two things I thought today while on the wheel is to buy auto and a small car.

Tomorrow I will go there again to learn and keep this thread updated.

Watch lots of YouTube videos before your next session, thank me later

I learnt to drive a manual car in JSS3, I haven’t driven one in over 10 years but If I see one now I’ll drive it like a pro.

Automatic cars are fun though

1 Like

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by twosquare(m): 9:24pm On Feb 08, 2023
veneza:
Operator no get mind like me,I face same thing when I was learning 3months I kukuma stop after jaming two okada man sametime in a tight road.
For peace of mind by tomorrow go for the auto because even 5days no reach learn am well talk more of manual.
grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Yankee101: 9:28pm On Feb 08, 2023
1. Learn initially how to use the pedals, brakes, mirrors etc in a field with cones. Your initial practice shouldn't be on the major road. Learn navigating cones without touching them and parallel parking
2. Relax. Don't press any pedal too hard unless the brake when you need to stop immediately
3. Once you master the fields you go to a secluded road with few traffics. Learn actual lane change, road signs, trafficator use etc
4. Then move to the high way

It seems they too you to the high way directly

2 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by emmanuelbrown26: 9:29pm On Feb 08, 2023
weslay:

You made a great choice of learning with a manual. Hang in there. It will only get better
Exactly what I wanted to say, I don't understand why some are telling him to go and learn auto. Manual is still d best in dis Nigeria, manual gives more advantage than starting with auto. If u learn auto, u never Sabi drive car

2 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by deepwater(f): 9:33pm On Feb 08, 2023
wunmi590:

Manual car in this 21st century?

When your friends driving automatic have driven pass you, you go still dey switch gear....

It is drifting traffic you will know that automatic is better than manual car...

I no dey even near manual, though they are good to maintain and hardly develop faults, but automatic as taken over.

You would choose manual over auto at -40°c and 5cm snow
Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Miyachi: 9:36pm On Feb 08, 2023
Pickmycall:
A manual car is very difficult than an automatic car.My first driving lesson was a manual car.I find it easy to drive an automatic car afterwards.
The thing is,you also need your own car to facilitate you to be perfect in driving.After you have finish your driving lessons,if you don't have a car to drive after sometime,you may find it hard to drive when you handle a steering.
Exactly this. I had a friend who bought a new car and wanted to learn how to drive. After I put him through the basics a couple of times he was able to drive and learn on his own. Now he does long journeys without breaking a sweat

2 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by AFONJACOW(m): 9:38pm On Feb 08, 2023
You see why there's too much accidents in Nigeria roads . 5 days to learn how to drive This is ridiculous.. here in dubai it will take u more than 5 months to pass ur driving test and training. U will go through many training not only how to move motor, infact they will fail u internally so u will back off and as they fail u as u pay extra money nobody got license at first try some got at 5th some who are lucky got at 2nd or 3rd attempts, thats why training and license here is about 1.5 million naira and u can use it drive anywhere in the world. Tomorrow now this one will buy a car and hit the road with few days experience and will end up killing himself and others

We too dey play for in this country

10 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by wirinet(m): 9:40pm On Feb 08, 2023
PROPEACE:

Manual transmission cars dont have any future in our world. The instructor gave you a good advice; learn automatic, but strong head and over sabi will not let you follow it. Go and continue learning your manual.

Manual cars has its own niche and it's own future. They have been saying manual have no future since the year 2000, but today major brands still make manual models.

Manual is better for commercial and transportation business, or for heavy use. Manual gives better control, acceleration and it's more durable. It is also very cheap to replace or repair.

5 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by wirinet(m): 9:42pm On Feb 08, 2023
deepwater:

You would choose manual over auto at -40°c and 5cm snow
Or in Sandy, muddy and other difficult terrains.
Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by jaxxy(m): 9:44pm On Feb 08, 2023
AutoManual:
I went to driving school today and meant with the guys there. I told them I want to learn manual. Even when some of them was telling me manual is fading out that majority of people are preferring to learn auto and they said some people who learn manual also came back to learn auto.

My reason was that if I can learn manual I can learn automatic, because I have heard that from people, I choose 5 days learning and they said 30minus & 1 hour has different prices, but I choose the 5 days 30 minutes, although I bargain the price. I filled the form and the driving session started.

Few minutes that we started I already giving up, I feel like not learning again. My concentration was not even there it was tidius to remember all this I need to do. Because I was forgetting all the things the guy told me before we started.

Here are my problem.
1. Understanding the pendel. Little press the car if jecking. When I applied brake it stop sudden and the vehicle will off abruptly.
2. Losing focus and what to do when I'm tens specially when I am approaching junction or a big car.
3. I am more concerned with the cars at my back or around me because I was moving slowly. The guy keep telling me to forget about them and focus on my side. Is document I filled said I will be the one to pay for damages incurred during the session.
3, knowing how and when to change the gear. I haven't mastered it and I feel it's too hard with the calculations. When I was filling the form there was some disclaimer on the document that I will be held responsible for any damages. I also learnt that the break is sometimes press. It was then I understand that the guy can press the brake from his own side of the car. Although I didn't tell him but I know.

Handling the wheel. To make a turn accurately on the road or control the wheel is really off.

I was saving and planing to buy a Nigeria use car and I was focusing on manual because I heard people saying it easy to maintain but right now with the look of things I don't think I can buy manual again oh.

The two things I thought today while on the wheel is to buy auto and a small car.

Manual is harder to learn than automatic obviously. Bt if u can master Manual u can handle auto after a getting ur feet placement cos auto has no clutch like Manual.

if ure in a hurry to buy a car and drive I advise u learn auto 1st. Bt if ure taking ur time then u can learn Manual.

Manual is more interesting to drive bt can be stressful in traffic.

2 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:46pm On Feb 08, 2023
No be driving school dey your mind....you never really won tell us wetin u dey think!

1 Like

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by stacyadams: 9:46pm On Feb 08, 2023
olaeffect:
Learning to drive at a mature age is more difficult than learning to drive as an teenager😁

But please put your mind to it and it will become easy very soon.
No normal person learnt driving in a single day.
Anybody that you noticed that started driving in a very short period has been warming car, reversing and moving forward in the compound when no one was watching 🤣🤣🤣 (that was how some of us learnt as teenagers) then one day Gbam!!! We took our papa car out for a spin; and God brought us home safely.

I also learnt driving with manual, but I have not driven a manual car in the last 9yrs or so, manual is suffer-head, don't let anybody deceive you.

It is like saying you will be a better barber when you learn barbing with manual clipper than when you learn with electric clipper 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

back in the daysna so my guy dey drive him papa car or mama car if them travel...my guy go cut soap do spare key for the two cars ...him parents go travel thinking say them carry car key not knowing my guy get him own key grin..before him start the car ,him go make sure to remember how the car was parked ,so him go return the car park am well after outing..

On a good day devil catch am...a big bus come bash him papa range grin..my guy fix car so tey him sell him 3 CD loaders then,still money no reach ..him papa later find out.

2 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by RIDOO: 9:48pm On Feb 08, 2023
I learnt how to drive with a manual car too.But l drive automatic afterwards.From my own perspective using manual to learn is like suffering oneself...you'll be using your brain to calculate gear like a mathematician and sweating like a Xmas goat.LOL

Driving school was the only place l drove manual.Afterwards na automatic and to be candid l don't think l can drive a manual car again.Cos it's great work... The difference is huge.

Pls look for a place to learn with auto and don't but a manual car buy auto for easy life.

3 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by DrFunmisticGlow: 9:49pm On Feb 08, 2023
AutoManual:

Here are my problem.

you have to give yourself time. It will start and stop and the car will stall you a couple of times but you will eventually master it.
Don't give up. Currently enjoying driving a small cute manual car. I even parallel park like a pro.

But 5 days is too small to learn now. Na wa for you o.
I learnt for 2 weeks, and put learner sign for 6 months, not because I couldn't drive but because drivers will be more understanding for learners and when the car stalls, I won't be under pressure.

It's the worst when the car stalls during traffic or on the sloping part of a bridge then starts to reverse back. That feeling of fear is something I won't forget. Thank God for handbrake

3 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by viodemus: 9:49pm On Feb 08, 2023
breathe in and out when tense.

E be like say na for lil wayne Carter 2, where he say for one track --- he see fear, he take the mask off.

E get one lesson story wey I hear sometime ago, one dog dey always viciously chase a boy anytime wey he dey go school, and that road na the easiest way to school; so sometimes the boy go take the long way to avoid the dog, but the long way dey much busier and sometimes he dey late; so oneday, him uncle dey advice am to fight the dog if choice no dey, na him after building up him courage, the boy walka pass that street, as usual the big dog run comot dey charge towards am with viciousness, na im the boy gada morale stand there like say anyhow wey e be, as the dog approach the boy, na im the boy look closely, cun notice say the big dog wey him dun dey run from for many years, no get teeth.

So, try manage your fears through inhale and exhale, then psyche yourself say you go dey try learn, also ask questions , google or watch YouTube for more tips. You already have a very good beginner's mindset, the kind wey accomplishers dey possess. Keep it up. It takes practice. One day you go drive long journey with all the bad roads and traffic, then e go become 2nd nature to you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by PROPEACE: 9:54pm On Feb 08, 2023
seunny4lif:

Don't say want you don't know
Manual cars still send faster than Automatic in Europe
There are more 2022 manual cars than Automatic, so it depends on what sell in each country more.
Except if OP had intention of competing in F1, he has no reason to waste time learning manual transmission, especially when it is appearing too difficult for him to handle.
Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by stacyadams: 9:56pm On Feb 08, 2023
Driving manual be like person wey still dey use iPhone 2 while iPhone don reach pro max ; or guy man leave young fresh pooccie go follow granny or evening newspaper poocie D grin grin..there is a reason y a manual Corrolla is cheaper than an automatic corolla grin

Its outdated grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by hermesprogidy(m): 9:57pm On Feb 08, 2023
With this writing, I am already giving up reading. undecided
Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by formular2002(m): 9:59pm On Feb 08, 2023
Guys, learn to drive manual cars o. E get why. If you hope to travel out some day, manual cars are more in developed European countries and they are cheaper. Automatic is also good but expensive. It may take time but when you master it, you will be glad you did.
It does not stop you from learning to drive Automatic.
Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by dochenaj: 10:01pm On Feb 08, 2023
How will you accept to pay for damages incurred while you are learning to drive?

Any serious driving school should have insurance that covers for damages.

You cannot learn to drive without having an accident; either you bash or you be bashed is the right of passage.

3 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by correctguy101(m): 10:03pm On Feb 08, 2023
buygala:

Not everyone can drive, same way not everyone can be a surgeon or jet pilot

Driving properly requires quite some amount of natural spatial awareness and limb-eye coordination..

Some people are born without these abilities sadly.. Na why even if they force themselves to drive, they might end up killing themselves and others or still be doing shaky-shaky Daddy even after 25 years of driving grin

Know your ability... If you try am and e no do, leave am.. When you have a car, employ a driver.

Lols...

I don't think so mate. Everyone can drive, it's just that the OP, like some people, needs more than the usual time and lesson to master it but he'll finally get it, this is assured.

I taught myself to drive with my mum's CR-V but received minimal lessons from a friend to be able to drive manual transmission...

Even monkey wey dem teach we'll go drive motor, not to talk of a full hot-blooded human being.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pictures That Show That Rolls Royce Denotes Luxury And Royalty / Top 5 Cars Spotted In Nigeria For Car Lovers. / See The US Military Tech That Changes Round Wheels Into Triangular Tracks In 2s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.