Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. (32706 Views)

I Finally Bought The Car I Went To Lagos To Buy. Now In PH With The Car / A Few Weeks After I Bought My First Car, I Went Home Forgetting That I Had A Car / Reno Omokri: I Never Realised What Car Horns Were Meant For Until I Went To Uni (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by AutoManual: 8:02pm On Feb 08, 2023
I went to driving school today and meant with the guys there. I told them I want to learn manual. Even when some of them was telling me manual is fading out that majority of people are preferring to learn auto and they said some people who learn manual also came back to learn auto.

My reason was that if I can learn manual I can learn automatic, because I have heard that from people, I choose 5 days learning and they said 30minus & 1 hour has different prices, but I choose the 5 days 30 minutes, although I bargain the price. I filled the form and the driving session started.

Few minutes that we started I already giving up, I feel like not learning again. My concentration was not even there it was tidius to remember all this I need to do. Because I was forgetting all the things the guy told me before we started.

Here are my problem.
1. Understanding the pendel. Little press the car if jecking. When I applied brake it stop sudden and the vehicle will off abruptly.
2. Losing focus and what to do when I'm tens specially when I am approaching junction or a big car.
3. I am more concerned with the cars at my back or around me because I was moving slowly. The guy keep telling me to forget about them and focus on my side. Is document I filled said I will be the one to pay for damages incurred during the session.
3, knowing how and when to change the gear. I haven't mastered it and I feel it's too hard with the calculations. When I was filling the form there was some disclaimer on the document that I will be held responsible for any damages. I also learnt that the break is sometimes press. It was then I understand that the guy can press the brake from his own side of the car. Although I didn't tell him but I know.

Handling the wheel. To make a turn accurately on the road or control the wheel is really off.

Look like driving is really hard with manual

I was saving and planing to buy a Nigeria use car and I was focusing on manual because I heard people saying it easy to maintain but right now with the look of things I don't think I can buy manual again oh.

The two things I thought today while on the wheel is to buy auto and a small car.

Tomorrow I will go there again to learn and keep this thread updated.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by phorget(m): 8:06pm On Feb 08, 2023
Hello!... Do not give up on learning manual please.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Pickmycall: 8:12pm On Feb 08, 2023
A manual car is very difficult than an automatic car.My first driving lesson was a manual car.I find it easy to drive an automatic car afterwards.
The thing is,you also need your own car to facilitate you to be perfect in driving.After you have finish your driving lessons,if you don't have a car to drive after sometime,you may find it hard to drive when you handle a steering.

167 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Janesouthall: 8:16pm On Feb 08, 2023
Mr man....you were told a lot about manual...you tot it will be easy as ABC but ur brain keep forgetting things hence you unable to learn it.

Stick or learn with automatic...because cars that are being import into the country are automatic and in the next 3 to 5 years I doubt if you will see manual car expect you wan drive truck or dangote trailer.

155 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by buygala(m): 8:16pm On Feb 08, 2023
AutoManual:
I went to driving school today and meant with the guys there. I told them I want to learn manual. Even when some of them was telling me manual is fading out that majority of people are preferring to learn auto and they said some people who learn manual also came back to learn auto.

My reason was that if I can learn manual I can learn automatic, because I have heard that from people, I choose 5 days learning and they said 30minus & 1 hour has different prices, but I choose the 5 days 30 minutes, although I bargain the price. I filled the form and the driving session started.

Few minutes that we started I already giving up, I feel like not learning again. My concentration was not even there it was tidius to remember all this I need to do. Because I was forgetting all the things the guy told me before we started.

Here are my problem.
1. Understanding the pendel. Little press the car if jecking. When I applied brake it stop sudden and the vehicle will off abruptly.
2. Losing focus and what to do when I'm tens specially when I am approaching junction or a big car.
3. I am more concerned with the cars at my back or around me because I was moving slowly. The guy keep telling me to forget about them and focus on my side. Is document I filled said I will be the one to pay for damages incurred during the session.
3, knowing how and when to change the gear. I haven't mastered it and I feel it's too hard with the calculations. When I was filling the form there was some disclaimer on the document that I will be held responsible for any damages. I also learnt that the break is sometimes press. It was then I understand that the guy can press the brake from his own side of the car. Although I didn't tell him but I know.

Handling the wheel. To make a turn accurately on the road or control the wheel is really off.

I was saving and planing to buy a Nigeria use car and I was focusing on manual because I heard people saying it easy to maintain but right now with the look of things I don't think I can buy manual again oh.

The two things I thought today while on the wheel is to buy auto and a small car.

Not everyone can drive, same way not everyone can be a surgeon or jet pilot

Driving properly requires quite some amount of natural spatial awareness and limb-eye coordination..

Some people are born without these abilities sadly.. Na why even if they force themselves to drive, they might end up killing themselves and others or still be doing shaky-shaky Daddy even after 25 years of driving grin

Know your ability... If you try am and e no do, leave am.. When you have a car, employ a driver.

80 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Hendrixky: 8:39pm On Feb 08, 2023
Nigerians still dey go driving school
Just carry your relatives or friends motor enter road you don sabi

Na when you travel out you go come realise say you nor sabi drive at all
Especially for Arab countries nd Middle East

Even Americans way sabi drive still dey fail driving test once them reach Middle east

77 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Searchingvictor: 8:39pm On Feb 08, 2023
Driving is very simple to learn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by gasparpisciotta: 8:40pm On Feb 08, 2023
Don’t give up we pray that your driving will be better than your grammar

54 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by TGreatGatsby: 8:41pm On Feb 08, 2023
Thats good, learning a skill is always good, especially a basic one like driving

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by seunny4lif(m): 8:41pm On Feb 08, 2023
I never went to any driving school.
All I did then was took my mother's car when she traveled and drove around our area with L boldly on the front and back.
When she came back and I told her what I did, first thing she did was check her car.
2 weeks later, I became her driver cheesy cheesy cheesy

If you start with manual gear then you can easily move to automatic gear but if you drive automatic first then it will be hard to drive manual again.
Manual transmission are the most common cars in Europe while automatic is common in USA.
But no matter what, if you enter Europe or many Arabs countries, you will learn how to drive car properly not that Nigeria way.

66 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Johnrake69: 8:41pm On Feb 08, 2023
Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Neduzze5(m): 8:41pm On Feb 08, 2023
I learnt with manual... Mercedes 230E to be precise. Was taught by my cousin.

Didn't drive it for more up to a year before switching to a Toyota automatic.

I can assure you that I've forgotten how to drive a manual car at the moment.

There might be some advantages, but really, manual cars are dying a really sped up death in the country.

I see no reason why you or anyone should drive a manual transmission car, apart from trucks and lorries and all.

After my first stint with the Mercedes, I've gone on to drive 8 other cars and all of them have been automatic.

Anyway sha, vote Peter Obi of Labour Party to ensure that money comes in to your pocket so you can buy a bigger and better ride.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Blaksheep01: 8:41pm On Feb 08, 2023
If you can learn how to ride a motorcycle, a motorcycle that has clutch, it will help you a lot. Motor will be easier.

8 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Johnrake69: 8:41pm On Feb 08, 2023
buygala:

Not everyone can drive, same way not everyone can be a surgeon or jet pilot

Driving properly requires quite some amount of natural spatial awareness and limb-eye coordination..

Some people are born without these abilities sadly.. Na why even if they force themselves to drive, they might end up killing themselves and others or still be doing shaky-shaky Daddy even after 25 years of driving grin

Know your ability... If you try am and e no do, leave am.. When you have a car, employ a driver.

The guy just needs some encouragement

6 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Mummyfour(f): 8:41pm On Feb 08, 2023
AutoManual:

Here are my problem.

your English didn't even allow me understand what your issues are, so I could advise you.
No vex

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by PPIA: 8:42pm On Feb 08, 2023
grin

OP say na Pendel grin

It is because you are tens, that is why you are pressing the pendel that way.

Relax and you will see that driving a manual car is not tidius grin

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by CHIDINMALOVE: 8:42pm On Feb 08, 2023
Lol.... I personally see no reason why I should learn driving with manual... No be say I wan drive tipper or danfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuRX6oCmvZQ

11 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Helpfromabove1(m): 8:42pm On Feb 08, 2023
I
Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by nitt: 8:42pm On Feb 08, 2023
Don't give up

Just focus on the task

Know that practice makes perfect

You will be very glad you learnt manual before auto cos once you learn manual you have automatically leant auto.

Good luck 👍🏼

5 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by flourishing247: 8:43pm On Feb 08, 2023
All you need is to conquer your fears. That's the first step to driving.

I hope they gave you the driving manual to read before classes. It really helps. I will advice you to tilt towards automatic. It is easier and faster to learn. I don't think I will ever drive manual again. Na real work. 🤣🤣

5 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by DAYPEN: 8:43pm On Feb 08, 2023
Abeg don't come and kill yourself.
Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by iHart(m): 8:43pm On Feb 08, 2023
Hahahah
Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by PROPEACE: 8:44pm On Feb 08, 2023
AutoManual:

Here are my problem.

Manual transmission cars dont have any future in our world. The instructor gave you a good advice; learn automatic, but strong head and over sabi will not let you follow it. Go and continue learning your manual.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by wunmi590(m): 8:44pm On Feb 08, 2023

Manual car in this 21st century?

When your friends driving automatic have driven pass you, you go still dey switch gear....

It is drifting traffic you will know that automatic is better than manual car...

I no dey even near manual, though they are good to maintain and hardly develop faults, but automatic as taken over.

7 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by faceland: 8:44pm On Feb 08, 2023
Learn auto... Then you can learn manual. If you are male, riding bike would give you an idea of manual.

The trainer overloaded you with too much information. Na small small and lots of practice + confidence.

8 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by AfahaAbia(m): 8:44pm On Feb 08, 2023
Who even drives a manual car in the present time. Oga go buy auto car drive.

8 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Elsueno: 8:45pm On Feb 08, 2023
AutoManual, first relax...it's the same d first time for 90% of the people.

Don't give up, learn d manual

4 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by AsomArchitectNG(m): 8:45pm On Feb 08, 2023
I learnt how to drive myself when i got my first car.. Driving is simple as abc.. Just give it time you'll catch up

3 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by elasticlala: 8:45pm On Feb 08, 2023
U haven’t even started. When u drive manual car on a hill with much traffic…. U go know how fa

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by emoboy4u: 8:45pm On Feb 08, 2023
Lol, My dad be telling me same thing "learn manual son, auto was originally made for disabled people".

I sha enrolled in driving school auto and manual full course. I drove a real car ( manual ) for the first time in my life, it was stressful. You had to mentally monitor the engine sound in order to change gear, no clutch pedal - no party, if you take your leg off the clutch too soon, car will stall, if you step on the brakes without stepping on clutch, car will stall.

The werey instructor did not tell inform me that he can brake the car from his end. He'll just tell me "clutch down", and when I do, car will slowly stop.

The traffic light goes ⛔. I was at the front row. Immediately the light went 🟢, I hurriedly took my legs of the clutch pedal so that I can accelerate. Kpaka kpaka! Car stalled, I understood what 'being under pressure' means when about 20 cars behind me went smashing their horns.

Five days went by, I still cannot make a proper turn. It's either I turn too fast or too slow or steer too hard. I thought I was braindead, I can never know how to drive. I told the guy I wanted to drive auto..

Seatbelts, check! mirrors, check!, Ignite the car and off I drove. AUTO WAS TOOO EASY. There and then I vowed not to consciously touch a manual car again. My confidence shot up. I started feeling like some low-budget Vin Diesel.

I graduated, collected my permit. A week after I finished my training, I traveled to greet my Aunt in another state. Myself and Aunt (never knew I enrolled in driving school) went to get stuff in the Market. When we were done buying, she went:

Aunt: "I'm tired, wish you knew how to drive now, shey I'll just be resting"

Me: *hold my beer* , Opened Google Maps.

...and the rest they say is history.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by Earthstorms(m): 8:45pm On Feb 08, 2023
So you hope to learn how to drive through a 5 days 30 mins per day driving session, continue to dey play.

Just know that driving is a high risk activity that can lead to deaths through accidents, better allocate enough time for your driving training.

You have even tried, at least you enrolled in a driving school, ever since the government decided to use issuance of driving license as a money making venture, many people get their driving license before learning how to drive.

26 Likes

Re: I Went To Driving School Today And I'm Really Giving Up. by weslay: 8:46pm On Feb 08, 2023
AutoManual:

Here are my problem.

You made a great choice of learning with a manual. Hang in there. It will only get better

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tips on car maintenance and how 2 drive Automatic cars / PHOTOS: Bus Somersaults On 3rdmainland Bridge This Afternoon / 2019 Mercedes Benz A-class Now Comes As A Saloon Car Too (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.