Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,387 members, 7,846,633 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order (40290 Views)

Naira Scarcity Lingers Despite Supreme Court Judgment / Banks Begin Collection Of Old Naira Notes Despite CBN’s Denial Of Directive / Bank ATMs Still Dispensing Old Naira Notes, Despite CBN’s Directive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by adewale2011(m): 9:10pm On Feb 10, 2023
CBN said after February 10, 2023 you can still redeem your old Naira notes at any of it's branch nation wide for it's face value... So even if the money stops been legal tender, you can still redeem it for new once at any CBN branch, make una dey read well...

OROSUNBOLB:
Anarchy is brewing and some people don't seem to see it ! Anyway,commercial banks will still have to accept the old currency into their vaults,this will become clearer to them and all the doubting Thomases before Monday.

And if the commercial banks refuse to open their offices/branches for business,as some of them have been doing,they will only be setting themselves up for the unthinkable - the people's wrath ! As for those who are saying commercial banks don't take orders or instructions from the Supreme Court,that's very laughable,guys ! Is the CBN independent of the Nigerian constitution or does it operate with a different constitution and laws if its own ?

No CEO of any commercial bank will openly refuse to accept deposits,with the old currency notes,into his or her bank vault,on or before February 15th,without risking a jail term ! Even Mr Emefiele can't try such before February 15th !

3 Likes

Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by dododawa1: 9:14pm On Feb 10, 2023
Is like EMEFELIE and IPOB are REMOTING BUHARI, old and new Naira still spending randomly
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by Lexicon123: 9:16pm On Feb 10, 2023
Pierced:
Toaday.......at mile 12 market.......even till now.... people are still collecting old notes.

I wonder what will happen on Monday. Maybe banks will not open.
they’re already closing. I went to FBN on Ajose today; it didn’t look like a bank even exists there - ATM not working and bank door shut. It’s well o
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by JoeNL22(m): 9:26pm On Feb 10, 2023
soojar:

Nothing to educate about. You guys are just being a pun in a power play. Buhari knew all along he was going to extend it, just wanting you people to think it's not his choice.

Today again he called past presidents for advice on it (as if they were in the know when he started his game in the first place), now those ones have told him to allow the two currencies to run side by side. Now Buhari will come out to tell you as a result of the hardship and supreme court order and also the advice of past presidents, deadline has been shifted.

As I said this is 'political juggernaut' and some gullible people are being taken for a ride.

We learn everyday
Your assertions are quite wrong, The politicians are playing chess, The masses are playing checkers, everybody knows the reason for the naira redesign, which is to prevent vote buying, hence, we might not like it, but if its necessary to prevent the vote buying, I am all in for it. No sacrifice, no victory. If we can survive 8 years of an abysmal performance from Buhari, why can't we bear 2 weeks?. We Nigerians must do everything and anything in our power to ensure free, fair and credible elections occur in 2 weeks time. The naira redesign is working, hence the governors sudden stand. When there was assu strike, fuel scarcity and unwarranted killings, where were the governors?. We won't be deceived by them, fighting for us the "masses" We are now wiser. Lastly, the foolish governors abuse the court process, how can you just be going to the supreme court just like that without undergoing the process of going from the lower courts then to the apex court?, also the apex court doesn't have the jurisdiction to settle the matter, it's the high court. There's a reason why the state governors did not include the CBN, the SC will strike it out immediately.

Let me show you an expert opinion.

However, a senior lawyer, Professor Konyinsola Ajayi, yesterday, said the CBN was free to carry on with the cash swap policy, despite the court ruling. He stated that the CBN, not being a party before the Supreme Court, hence the court was not expected to grant an order against a person not before it; not sued or not heard.

He said, “The CBN is free to carry on with its policy on currency redesign taken in accordance with the plenitude of its powers under both the CBN Act and Currency Control Act. It is fitting to note that just about six weeks ago (on 02/12/22) the SCN held in the case of Adedeji & ors. v CBN that CBN is independent by law and can’t be controlled by FGN.”
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by 9182736455O1999(m): 9:43pm On Feb 10, 2023
LegendHero:
They will soon reverse it and send another announcement out.

No cause for alarm. Anyone with the old note should keep calm, they will have enough time to deposit it to the bank.

No law can render someone penniless from their hard earned money.

Elo fokan bale.
Thank you boss, this is the best comment so far. As long as the banks will not disappear overnight, everything will be fine.

1 Like

Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by damkin24(m): 9:52pm On Feb 10, 2023
ChangetheChange:

cheesy grin grin
Jungle don mature
They should go to Hell Rufai house or the supreme court or Tinub's house or any APC office in their States to change their old naira note grin grin grin
Even Supreme Court will vacate that nonsense order next week , and CBN decision next week will be final and heaven will no Fall
Just as heaven is yet to fall even with the continued detention of Lamidi kanu
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by highness25(m): 9:53pm On Feb 10, 2023
ChangetheChange:

https://gazettengr.com/despite-supreme-court-order-stanbic-ibtc-union-bank-others-insist-on-rejecting-old-naira-notes/
who doesn't know that the 'U' in their stands for Useless. They're the most useless bank in the world.
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by Darkjudge24: 10:18pm On Feb 10, 2023
kcnwaigbo:

No problem continue collecting.Its just that you can only deposit it at the supreme court and not any commercial bank after today
enemies of Nigeria, just been happy seeing others cry

1 Like

Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by Darkjudge24: 10:24pm On Feb 10, 2023
JoeNL22:

Lol.....I ain't surprised. I told someone the DEADLINE will stay, some people where saying rubbish. We need to starting educating Nigerians on the rule of law and the constitution of Nigeria.
what do u know about law mr educator, there's an injunction and all parties involved are to maintain status quo until the set aside date for hearing, even the presidency have said they will abide by it, but unfortunate educators like u want to do otherwise
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by KingOfAmebo(m): 10:25pm On Feb 10, 2023
ChangetheChange:

https://gazettengr.com/despite-supreme-court-order-stanbic-ibtc-union-bank-others-insist-on-rejecting-old-naira-notes/

I thought some educated illiterate urchins were jubilating earlier today with their beer parlor interpretation of the suite....bunch of ignoramus...grin grin grin

NAIRALAND RESIDENTIAL URCHINS:

lhordspy
FreeStuffsNG
Abdul05
drlateef
satan06
DevilAdvocate
I8Xtians
PandoraObi
heliues
omenkaLives
omenka
LeoDeKing
Ayamed
seunmsg
sarrki

TheChameleon
OsunOriginal
ATLIEN2027
Moh247
KingKO22
ItsTutsi
Zulum500
ASAPFERG
yarimo
JAMO84
JoshTim
TheNiceGuy
KingKO22
drlateef
Pakute
LegendHero
Banbutton
Thinkam
ipobarecriminals
Officialgarri
Cromagnon
BATified2023
Softmirror
ifihearam
Godispeace
SWATMan
Peepydelano
Madridguy
igbotormentor
Okealaaye
Mccullum
idealogical
Honourable1901
CoronaVirusRelo
Zulum500
Praktikals
undisputedKOC
burp18
Ireportlive
leokid866
assholemods
Pandev
brainpulse
GeneralPula
JAMO84
EGodFaDa1
tinsel
Obaofaba
idealogical
KingKO22
peepydelano
LordviccoDaGuru
Wickedfact
oyin44
Jones4190
harqinhola
Kewtt
Reportbutton
BOLATINUBU01
VoteTinubu2023
dajo83
PassingShot
sapele914
NLPoliceWoman
Osidazz19
TakeNigeriaBack
Osidazz19
undisputedKOC
N3TRAL
Mrmb
oikirodah
peepydelano
Faiththatworks
ElSudani
GBTYO
Parachoko

The below quote clearly defines urchins:

“Many are destined to reason wrongly, others not to reason at all and some to persecute those who do reason" - Voltaire

https://www.nairaland.com/7313723/some-projects-done-peter-obi

1 Like

Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by sukar886: 10:32pm On Feb 10, 2023
Emiefele and buhari have the final say, not supreme court
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by emmyN(m): 10:39pm On Feb 10, 2023
Truvelisback:
It is that i know that one can be highly educated and still be very, very stupid. How can u reject old notes when u haven't made enough of the new notes available? How many of the new notes are in Circulation? Are these people not highly educatively stupid?

Don't be fooled, a lot of persons have the new notes stored in their houses waiting for when the plug is pulled. CBN granting another extension would not change anything. I know what a lot of you are expecting is that the same quantity of old notes available before should be available in the new notes, but that would be defeating the cashless policy. I get it that the cashless policy drive have not sunk in with many people, hence you see people still complaining they can't do 100k cash transaction.
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by emmyN(m): 10:48pm On Feb 10, 2023
OROSUNBOLB:
Anarchy is brewing and some people don't seem to see it ! Anyway,commercial banks will still have to accept the old currency into their vaults,this will become clearer to them and all the doubting Thomases before Monday.

And if the commercial banks refuse to open their offices/branches for business,as some of them have been doing,they will only be setting themselves up for the unthinkable - the people's wrath ! As for those who are saying commercial banks don't take orders or instructions from the Supreme Court,that's very laughable,guys ! Is the CBN independent of the Nigerian constitution or does it operate with a different constitution and laws if its own ?

No CEO of any commercial bank will openly refuse to accept deposits,with the old currency notes,into his or her bank vault,on or before February 15th,without risking a jail term ! Even Mr Emefiele can't try such before February 15th !

Are you typing from a beer palour, sah? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by soojar(m): 11:18pm On Feb 10, 2023
JoeNL22:

Your assertions are quite wrong, The politicians are playing chess, The masses are playing checkers, everybody knows the reason for the naira redesign, which is to prevent vote buying, hence, we might not like it, but if its necessary to prevent the vote buying, I am all in for it. No sacrifice, no victory. If we can survive 8 years of an abysmal performance from Buhari, why can't we bear 2 weeks?. We Nigerians must do everything and anything in our power to ensure free, fair and credible elections occur in 2 weeks time. The naira redesign is working, hence the governors sudden stand. When there was assu strike, fuel scarcity and unwarranted killings, where were the governors?. We won't be deceived by them, fighting for us the "masses" We are now wiser. Lastly, the foolish governors abuse the court process, how can you just be going to the supreme court just like that without undergoing the process of going from the lower courts then to the apex court?, also the apex court doesn't have the jurisdiction to settle the matter, it's the high court. There's a reason why the state governors did not include the CBN, the SC will strike it out immediately.

Let me show you an expert opinion.

However, a senior lawyer, Professor Konyinsola Ajayi, yesterday, said the CBN was free to carry on with the cash swap policy, despite the court ruling. He stated that the CBN, not being a party before the Supreme Court, hence the court was not expected to grant an order against a person not before it; not sued or not heard.

He said, “The CBN is free to carry on with its policy on currency redesign taken in accordance with the plenitude of its powers under both the CBN Act and Currency Control Act. It is fitting to note that just about six weeks ago (on 02/12/22) the SCN held in the case of Adedeji & ors. v CBN that CBN is independent by law and can’t be controlled by FGN.”

You are right, the policy is a welcome one and targeted at some perceived opponents. But thinking the real targets are really affected will mean one doesn't really know what is going on.

APC has right before our eyes become the ruling party, the opposition party, creating problem, solving the problem, being the villain and the victim at the same time, scouring for sympathy votes etc. And someone will still think all these is just to prevent somebody from buying votes? The political games going on is beyond what babies can comprehend.

At the bold in your statement, the governors knew what they were doing by not involving the CBN because doing that will mean it is now the jurisdiction of high court. But facing the FG directly means it is STRICTLY a supreme court case (because the constitution is clear, any case between the state and federal government can only be ruled on by the supreme court. Prof. Kanyinsola is right, if the FG that the supreme court order goes to does not direct CBN (one of its agencies) to extend the deadline, then, CBN is free to go ahead with its today deadline.

Again that is the political juggernaut I'm telling you about, Buhari will be quick to claim being a democrat a obey the court order while Kanu's court order is still there till tomorrow not obeyed. The more you look the less you see. Mark my words The deadline will be extended

We learn everyday.
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by Mystic216: 12:02am On Feb 11, 2023
Kingcalls:

I clicked on Grace127 and it directed me to mystic216
Click on Mystic216 so it will direct you to PrinceofLagos

1 Like

Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by Pharaohny: 12:09am On Feb 11, 2023
There is power in unity keep spending your old notes, shikena
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by ebony2011(m): 12:46am On Feb 11, 2023
Illiteracy is a disease,Rejecting the old notes is a contempt of court order punishable by imprisonment or fine.

1 Like

Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by Truvelisback(m): 12:49am On Feb 11, 2023
emmyN:

Don't be fooled, a lot of persons have the new notes stored in their houses waiting for when the plug is pulled. CBN granting another extension would not change anything. I know what a lot of you are expecting is that the same quantity of old notes available before should be available in the new notes, but that would be defeating the cashless policy. I get it that the cashless policy drive have not sunk in with many people, hence you see people still complaining they can't do 100k cash transaction.
How many Nigerians wants the Cashless(transfer) policy?
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by faceland: 4:04am On Feb 11, 2023
Yesterday was stressful.
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by luluosas(m): 6:22am On Feb 11, 2023
Well, I think the position of the banks is valid in this matter.
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by Darayola(m): 6:41am On Feb 11, 2023
The truth is, CBN is actually wise for not saying anything yet.

However, with the unanimous resolution of the meeting held yesterday at the Aso-Villa with the governors, former presidents and heads of state, CBN Governor and the IGP, there is a higher likelihood that banks will accept the old naira notes till February 15, 2023.
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by Darayola(m): 6:44am On Feb 11, 2023
If bank no collect my old naira notes by Monday, i go carry the money go CBN.

1 Like

Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by seglabsy(m): 1:08pm On Feb 11, 2023
azpekuliar:
Well, if you insist on using the old notes because you chose to be misguided by the likes of El-Rufai, be prepared to deposit them at the bank of the supreme court after the deadline.
SENSE NO DEY AT ALL
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by seglabsy(m): 1:14pm On Feb 11, 2023
9182736455O1999:

Thank you boss, this is the best comment so far. As long as the banks will not disappear overnight, everything will be fine.
i do not kown why people 'kayasoke' thanks
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by emmyN(m): 2:49pm On Feb 11, 2023
Truvelisback:
How many Nigerians wants the Cashless(transfer) policy?

I do, and I know a lot of persons who do too. The developed nations we look up to, they have for ages adopted cashless policies in their economy and they are the better of. Someone who spent the last eight years in China told me she only had to pay with cash on one occasion. The road to change is long, but we can embrace the little things that could position us for a better future.
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by Truvelisback(m): 3:50pm On Feb 11, 2023
emmyN:

I do, and I know a lot of persons who do too. The developed nations we look up to, they have for ages adopted cashless policies in their economy and they are the better of. Someone who spent the last eight years in China told me she only had to pay with cash on one occasion. The road to change is long, but we can embrace the little things that could position us for a better future.
How would it work in Nigeria when many people are discarding the cashless policy?
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by emmyN(m): 9:37pm On Feb 11, 2023
Truvelisback:
How would it work in Nigeria when many people are discarding the cashless policy?
It would work if the government is stringent with it. This is why I am against any form of deadline extension right now. I think they are just being careful because elections are around the corner. Once all that is done, I would expect to see the full hand of its implementation.
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by Truvelisback(m): 1:41am On Feb 12, 2023
emmyN:

It would work if the government is stringent with it. This is why I am against any form of deadline extension right now. I think they are just being careful because elections are around the corner. Once all that is done, I would expect to see the full hand of its implementation.
What has the govt done abt the rejection of this Cashless policy by some Nigerians? I don't think they are even concern abt it. As it is now, many Nigerians find it very difficult to make use of the money they have in bank. And this is very terrible. The saddest part of it all is that, the P.O.S operators are taking advantage of this exploiting Nigerians from their hard earn money.
Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by JoeNL22(m): 1:24pm On Feb 14, 2023
soojar:

You are right, the policy is a welcome one and targeted at some perceived opponents. But thinking the real targets are really affected will mean one doesn't really know what is going on.

APC has right before our eyes become the ruling party, the opposition party, creating problem, solving the problem, being the villain and the victim at the same time, scouring for sympathy votes etc. And someone will still think all these is just to prevent somebody from buying votes? The political games going on is beyond what babies can comprehend.

At the bold in your statement, the governors knew what they were doing by not involving the CBN because doing that will mean it is now the jurisdiction of high court. But facing the FG directly means it is STRICTLY a supreme court case (because the constitution is clear, any case between the state and federal government can only be ruled on by the supreme court. Prof. Kanyinsola is right, if the FG that the supreme court order goes to does not direct CBN (one of its agencies) to extend the deadline, then, CBN is free to go ahead with its today deadline.

Again that is the political juggernaut I'm telling you about, Buhari will be quick to claim being a democrat a obey the court order while Kanu's court order is still there till tomorrow not obeyed. The more you look the less you see. Mark my words The deadline will be extended

We learn everyday.
You say wetin!!!....😂😂😂

https://www.nairaland.com/7568756/godwin-emefiele-february-10-deadline

Re: Banks Insist On Rejecting Old Naira Notes Despite Supreme Court Order by JoeNL22(m): 1:25pm On Feb 14, 2023
Darkjudge24:
what do u know about law mr educator, there's an injunction and all parties involved are to maintain status quo until the set aside date for hearing, even the presidency have said they will abide by it, but unfortunate educators like u want to do otherwise
https://www.nairaland.com/7568756/godwin-emefiele-february-10-deadline

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

15 Biggest Employers In The World. / Elon Musk Mocks Jeff Bezos' Attempt To Develop Immortality Tech / What Is The Best Answer For "How Did You Get My Number?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.