Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? (6855 Views)

What Skills Can A Sickle Cell Patient Acquire That Can Fetch Him Good Money / What Skills Can An Undergraduate In Mechatronics Engineering Aquire To Boost . / How To Build A Successful Career As A Data Scientist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by donestk(m): 1:27pm On Feb 14, 2023
Lemme think
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by FireUpNow(m): 1:30pm On Feb 14, 2023
Abeg me just dey look for anyone to guide and show me how to get into upwork and fiver to do work with the little knowledge of computer I have. I need to hustle clean and big time
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by Asour: 1:31pm On Feb 14, 2023
fawaz050:
For a start, you need to be grounded in Economics, Finance and some Accounting.

In addition, Data Analysis with either EViews/STATA (preferrably).

For Visualization, either of Excel, Power BI/Tableau.

No one NEEDS Stata or Eviews for Research analysis in the professional setting.

Between Excel/Python & R, All analytical problems are solved .
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by Yankee101: 1:35pm On Feb 14, 2023
Numbers
Data analysis
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by CodeTemplar: 1:36pm On Feb 14, 2023
DMCA:
Learn Data Science and AI
I think it should be statistics and presentation skills.
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by fawaz050(m): 1:42pm On Feb 14, 2023
Asour:

Excel cannot do some of the things Eviews and STATA Can.

Also, For most AcaDemic Researchs, those two will majorly come in handy.

But then the world is moving to R and Python. But their application is not fully established in Econometrics (Economics/Business Research)

1 Like

Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by Blakpot: 1:43pm On Feb 14, 2023
DepressedLoser:
Spamming
Wire wire
Keyboard bombing

😄😄 mumu
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by africanusvu(m): 1:44pm On Feb 14, 2023
just ur first degree in any discipline especially science and agriculture,A research scientist or analyst only needs zeal, patience,fund, and intelligence,i studied Food science and technology and currently a senior research fellow on Genetically modified foods,GMO
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by joefelin234539: 1:44pm On Feb 14, 2023
OBidients are taking over everything.
Lightheaded21: With the seriousness of Obidients, they might just win the election

Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by Blakpot: 1:45pm On Feb 14, 2023
Asour:

Really? Total opposite of what I know.
Are you a research analyst?
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by fawaz050(m): 1:46pm On Feb 14, 2023
Asour:

Remember Op said Research Analysis not Data Analysis. How do you test your data for stationarity, Normality. Build GMM, ARDL Models (used by NBS for forecast) with R and Python (It's not impossible, but the knowledge is limited on this side of the world). Eviews and STATA are ready-to-use routines in that regard.
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by Asour: 2:22pm On Feb 14, 2023
fawaz050:

Remember Op said Research Analysis not Data Analysis. How do you test your data for stationarity, Normality. Build GMM, ARDL Models (used by NBS for forecast) with R and Python (It's not impossible, but the knowledge is limited on this side of the world). Eviews and STATA are ready-to-use routines in that regard.

There's no 'this side of the World' any longer in this information age.

Information/Knowledge has been democratised for whoever seeks it / wherever it's sought.

And yes, R can do/build the models you've described.

As a rule of thumb, Most canned tools (Proprietary tools) are more limited in functionality than their open source equivalents. For obvious reasons.
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by Bloomsbury(m): 2:23pm On Feb 14, 2023
A001:
Anyone with practical knowledge on how to become a research analyst? What skills do I need to become one?

Tips and advice on the subject are welcome. Thank you.

For a start, you need to be grounded in basic information technology, Economics, basic mathematics, Finance and academic writings.

You need to be very good in content writing and editing, proofreading and sometimes translation.

As a research analyst and content writer, that's what I do for people. Write Articles, blog posts, scientific journals, explain study notes, write ebooks for people.

My area of expertise is Blockckchain Technology, Crypto, Business & startups, Data science and Cyber security.

As a research analyst, you need to have an area of expertise you can work or write on. You need to have domain expertise and experience in those fields before you can apply for jobs.

It's mostly not about you but what clients or companies want from you. You need to be adaptable to switch your knowledge to their needs.

Go to upwork and search for research analyst jobs. You will see employers posting what they require from them.

Use that as the basics of your study.

If you have more questions, shoot me an email bloomsburypublishing@gmail.com.

1 Like

Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by fawaz050(m): 2:24pm On Feb 14, 2023
Asour:

There's no 'this side of the World' any longer in this information age.

Information/Knowledge has been democratised for whoever seeks it / wherever it's sought.

And yes, R can do/build the models you've described.

As a rule of thumb, Most canned tools (Proprietary tools) are more limited in functionality than their open source equivalents. For obvious reasons.

Alright then.
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by Asour: 2:26pm On Feb 14, 2023
Blakpot:

Really? Total opposite of what I know.
Are you a research analyst?

I'm not.

But a need is an object that can't be done without.

E.g. one NEEDS food to live.

Whatever can be done in Eviews can be done on R.
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by Bloomsbury(m): 2:27pm On Feb 14, 2023
FireUpNow:
Abeg me just dey look for anyone to guide and show me how to get into upwork and fiver to do work with the little knowledge of computer I have. I need to hustle clean and big time

I love your clean hustle. This is a wonderful pathway you have chosen. You can DM for we to connect.

Hope you have already created an upwork account?
The next thing you need is to know about profile description optimization, how to receive payment from Nigeria and how to write winning proposals

1 Like

Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by JapaProf: 2:32pm On Feb 14, 2023
Go for a Postgraduate certificate in Data analysis in any Canadian university

You will become hot cake.
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by DataMiner(f): 2:32pm On Feb 14, 2023
I am a data/research analyst. You need a good grasp of Matlab and R to thrive in this field. Matlab is often used for mathematical modelling and numerical analysis while R is popular for statistical learning and Analysis.
R has virtually all the libraries under the sun you can think of for conducting any statistical analysis you can think of because the tool is open source.This merit gives it an edge over other domain specific tools like evews and stata

Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by Asour: 2:34pm On Feb 14, 2023
fawaz050:

Excel cannot do some of the things Eviews and STATA Can.

Also, For most AcaDemic Researchs, those two will majorly come in handy.

But then the world is moving to R and Python. But their application is not fully established in Econometrics (Economics/Business Research)

There's Nothing that Stata can do that can't be replicated in Excel.

The problem is that everyone judges excel with its stock functionalities.

Excel is a Swiss Army knife for Analytics— one in which you and me can expand the functionalities with near endless possibilities with VBA & other add-ins.

See this for example.

Charles Zaiontz has written a comprehensive statistics add-ins for Excel .

Real-statistics.com

But I'll agree with you that Academics have their favourite tool of choice.
But that is just a preference.
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by Exceed15: 2:50pm On Feb 14, 2023
This professional for this Nigeria? Ok o
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by BTCog: 3:03pm On Feb 14, 2023
A001:
Anyone with practical knowledge on how to become a research analyst? What skills do I need to become one?

Tips and advice on the subject are welcome. Thank you.
Excel
Power B
Tableau
SPSS
Good internet skills
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by fawaz050(m): 3:26pm On Feb 14, 2023
Asour:

There's Nothing that Stata can do that can't be replicated in Excel.

The problem is that everyone judges excel with its stock functionalities.

Excel is a Swiss Army knife for Analytics— one in which you and me can expand the functionalities with near endless possibilities with VBA & other add-ins.

See this for example.

Charles Zaiontz has written a comprehensive statistics add-ins for Excel .

Real-statistics.com

But I'll agree with you that Academics have their favourite tool of choice.
But that is just a preference.

you said Add-in. There are a lot of things Eviews and STATA can do that are not possible on Excel YET. But then, preference comes to the fore.

Wooh, you are right. Argument dey quick tire me.

Actually, I checked out the add-in, it's well packed.
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by Asour: 3:41pm On Feb 14, 2023
fawaz050:

you said Add-in. There are a lot of things Eviews and STATA can do that are not possible on Excel YET. But then, preference comes to the fore.

Wooh, you are right. Argument dey quick tire me.

Actually, I checked out the add-in, it's well packed.

Add-ins are the only way to ensure a tool remains comprehensive in its features.

Stata was developed in the 1980s.

Are the features today same as it was in the 1980s?
No. Because new features have been included (ADDED IN)

Add-ins is a feature that makes Excel's capabilities Endless. IT IS A part of Excel.

N.B. We aren't necessarily arguing.
Hearing the viewpoints of others on platforms like this help challenge our viewpoints with a view to testing merit — and hopefully learning new things.

1 Like

Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by fawaz050(m): 3:50pm On Feb 14, 2023
Asour:

Add-ins are the only way to ensure a tool remains comprehensive in its features.

Stata was developed in the 1980s.

Are the features today same as it was in the 1980s?
No. Because new features have been included (ADDED IN)

Add-ins is a feature that makes Excel's capabilities Endless. IT IS A part of Excel.

N.B. We aren't necessarily arguing.
Hearing the viewpoints of others on platforms like this help challenge our viewpoints with a view to testing merit — and hopefully learning new things.

I agree that we aren't necessarily arguing. but you were using words like NEVER, NEED NOT and it kinda put me off.

I guess it's all part of learning. Kudos! on your points/expose`
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by Asour: 4:01pm On Feb 14, 2023
fawaz050:

I agree that we aren't necessarily arguing. but you were using words like NEVER, NEED NOT and it kinda put me off.

I guess it's all part of learning. Kudos! on your points/expose`

Oh my bad.

I said that because it irks me when people who aren't proficient in a particular tools are able to make comments about what that tool (that they aren't experts in its use) cannot do.

It's funny.
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by fawaz050(m): 4:07pm On Feb 14, 2023
Asour:

Oh my bad.

I said that because it irks me when people who aren't proficient in a particular tools are able to make comments about what that tool (that they aren't experts in its use) cannot do.

It's funny.

Alright then.
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by protocol(m): 5:36pm On Feb 14, 2023
statistics bsc, ican , advanced excel, power bi, end with cfa.

1 Like

Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by FireUpNow(m): 6:09pm On Feb 14, 2023
Bloomsbury:

I love your clean hustle. This is a wonderful pathway you have chosen. You can DM for we to connect.

Hope you have already created an upwork account?
The next thing you need is to know about profile description optimization, how to receive payment from Nigeria and how to write winning proposals
I have not created a profile yet, I just want the whole lowdown before I begin. It's that payment aspect I don't know much about because I was thinking of paypal but someone told me that personal paypal in Nigeria doesn't work I really appreciate your king words of encouragement as I want to do something nice in life.
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by optimusprime2(m): 9:19pm On Feb 14, 2023
Learn excel to a very advanced level, after that then progress to power BI after knowing power BI to a mad level then conclude the skill acquisition with R or SaaS... then you are accomplished.

If you want to add a demonic touch then add machine learning, and quantum Computing.

After these skills are achieved, you can call yourself a metaphysical analyst... nothing go fit pass your power.
Re: What Skills Do I Need To Establish A Career As A Research Analyst? by U1(m): 8:23am On May 20, 2023
protocol:
statistics bsc, ican , advanced excel, power bi, end with cfa.

Hello, boss. I was wondering if you could help to take a look at my domain portfolio and suggest prices for some domains I might have underpriced. I really need assistance this, please, and it would go a long way.

Would you be willing to help, please? Thanks!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Did You Choose Your Current Career? / What Employment Opportunities Does Anatomy As A Course Have To Offer / Can My Brother Take My Government Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.