Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,503 members, 7,830,515 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Does M.i Song " Soldier " Express View On Feminism And Men In The Society ? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Does M.i Song " Soldier " Express View On Feminism And Men In The Society ? (201 Views)

U&I Song Lyrics | Flatbush Zombies Ft Diamante | Flatbush Zombies / New Hit: Download Classiq Ft. M.I Abaga – "GUDU" Don't Miss Out!! / Vector Replies M.I For Dissing Nigerian Rappers In His Song (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Does M.i Song " Soldier " Express View On Feminism And Men In The Society ? by patrickonyeka(m): 4:19am On Feb 15, 2023
DOES M.I song " SOLDIER " EXPRESS VIEW ON FEMINISM AND MEN IN THE SOCIETY ?

M.I ABAGA is One of the best Hip-hop rapper ever in Nigeria 🇳🇬. His least album "THE GUY" is dope and the artists he featured did an excellent job on dropping their flows with tight lyrical delivery. 💯👌🏿

Lastly, I took time to listen to this very track " soldier ft tomi owo ", he expressed his views on Feminism and Men in our society.

"THEY TELL US BOYS DON'T Cry, BUT THEY DON'T TELL US WHY" that was the hit part in the song ' SOLDIER '

For more details about the lyrics check below 👇👇

Verse 2: MI Abaga]

Hmm, yеah
They tell us boys don't cry but they don't tell us why

So when tears start to fill up my eyes, I wanna hide

We talk about it like it's a badge of honour, our pride

But guess who is the leading victims of suicide?

It's young men who don't know the way to emote

Could be dealing with stress or his heart could be broken

All this hurdle, it's starts partly when fathering, now
we're fathers, we'd carven them into hard men just starving for hope

And now the world is changing rapidly, happily, I embrace it

But learning how to be a good man is proving evasive

See toxic masculinity in it we all will suffer, but all I know is be tougher to feed and protect my lover

And yeah, It's what I was taught that I must be

And honestly I wanna be better but promise me

That you can show me how I will not punish or tarnish me
It's no laughing matter, no comedy

I'm asking for a [?]

[Verse 3: MI Abaga]

This is for the fathers, the husbands, the soldiers, the workers

The young men trynna to be good to find purpose in a world telling you to be strong or else you're worthless

It hurts that we've brought them to earth just to scratch the surface

I asked ten of my female friends to share their lens

To tell me what's it like to be them, to get a sense

Six of them had been raped and all ten had been assaulted

I halted, I couldn't believe how we are faulted

Nighty five percent of crimes end in loss of lives

How 'bout us?, we the killers, we the cults, the gangs, the cops, the serial murderers, we the ones at night making the world unsafe, and what we need is a son for light

I'm penning this, hoping that when you reminisce, we can start from the genesis, every man should be feminists

Fighting to make the world a better place, I know it's hard, I see you cover your tears but what you gon' do about those scars

Doing some analyses of the song in relation to the verse 2 and 3 part of M.I

Soldier is a response to another societal ill that is been bestowed on the males in the society which has to do with the neglect and emotionless boy which is expected of him to be heartless.

👉This is best captured in the line "they tell us boys don't cry, but they don't tell us why/ so when tears start to fill up my eyes, I wanna hide".

The message here is that's its okay to be vulnerable as a man.

👉Like what Facebook asked me again ?

What's on your mind?

DOES M.I song " SOLDIER " EXPRESS VIEWS ON FEMINISM AND MEN IN THE SOCIETY ?

MY RESPONSE --- yes, there is 100% expression of the song on VIEWS ON FEMINISM AND MEN IN THE SOCIETY.

Below is some proved and Analyses i have made to back up-- M.I song " SOLDIER "

For the sake and more clarification this post or WRITE-UP to my readers i will be using most points from FEMINIST Adichie Chimanmanda Ngozi to back them up.

FIRST POINT ANALYSIS -

👉They tell us boys don't cry but they don't tell us why.

The link below show an article i wrote 2019, i will use it to support this post.

https://patrickrealstories./2020/01/01/patrick-personal-view-14-reasons-why-i-still-love-chimamanda-ngozi-adichie/

PROVE 1 (FROM HER BOOK)

According to a popular literature book “”” WE SHOULD ALL BE FEMINIST “””

FEMINIST Adichie Chimanmanda Ngozi she says in her book:

“”””” We do a great disservice to boys in how we raise them. We stifle the humanity of boys.

We define masculinity in a very narrow way. Masculinity is a hard, small cage, and we put boys inside this cage. We teach boys to be afraid of fear, of weakness, of vulnerability. We teach them to mask their true selves, because they have to be, in Nigerian-speak—a hard man. “”””

PROVE 2 (FROM HER BOOK)

“”””” In secondary school, a boy and a girl go out, both of them teenagers with meager pocket money. Yet the boy is expected to pay the bills, always, to prove his masculinity. (And we wonder why boys are more likely to steal money from their parents.) What if both boys and girls were raised not to link masculinity and money? What if their attitude was not “the boy has to pay,” but rather, “whoever has more should pay.” Of course, because of their historical advantage, it is mostly men who will have more today. But if we start raising children differently, then in fifty years, in a hundred years, boys will no longer have the pressure of proving their masculinity by material means. But by far the worst thing we do to males—by making them feel they have to be hard —is that we leave them with very fragile egos. The harder a man feels compelled to be, the weaker his ego is. “”””

SECOND POINT ANALYSIS-

👉But guess who is the leading victims of suicide?

Supporting M.I using this proves and some point made by FEMINIST/WRITER/ CHIMAMANDA NGOZI ADICHIE

PROVE 1 (INTERNET/SITE-INTERVIEW)

I will backed it up with a powerful statement made by FEMINIST/WRITER/ CHIMAMANDA NGOZI ADICHIE where she mentioned “”””why men have a higher rate of dying by suicide “”””

For further reading here is the link to convince you.

https://m.guardian.ng/features/how-patriarchy-could-be-spiking-rate-of-suicide-among-men/

https://dailypost.ng/2018/09/12/men-die-suicide-chimamanda-adichie/

Here is her speech:

FEMINIST Adichie Chimanmanda Ngozi : “””“Both men and women suffer from the illnesses that lead to suicide but it is men that have a much higher rate of dying by suicide.

“Why? Because men are socialized to suppress so many human parts of themselves, men are socialized not to ask for help, men are socialized to be afraid of fear, men are socialized not to show vulnerability.

“From the moment we tell a little boy that ‘boys don’t cry’ or we tell a hurting teenager to ‘man up’ we are creating an adult man who will be cheated of the full range of his emotions. So, while men benefit from patriarchy, they also suffer from it. ”””””

PROVE 2 (FROM HER BOOK)

“””“And then we do a much greater disservice to girls, because we raise them to cater to the fragile egos of males. We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls: You can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful but not too successful, otherwise you will threaten the man. If you are the breadwinner in your relationship with a man, pretend that you are not, especially in public, otherwise you will emasculate him. But what if we question the premise itself: Why should a woman’s success be a threat to a man? What if we decide to simply dispose of that word—and I don’t know if there is an English word I dislike more than this—emasculation. “”””

THIRD POINT ANALYSIS-

" I'm penning this, hoping that when you reminisce, we can start from the genesis, every man should be feminists "

With M.I supporting men to be feminist in his song " soldier" was a great idea.

This is what he said :

M.I verse 3 -

" I'm penning this, hoping that when you reminisce, we can start from the genesis, every man should be feminists "

PROVE 1 -

I remember vividly about dropping a write-up about how we should train young boys and girls on how to become a feminist in our society.

Link to the post-

https://www.facebook.com/100006710401084/posts/3261174417449540/?app=fbl

The post ----

PATRICK VIEW --- 7 OPINIONS WHY YOUNG BOYS AND GIRLS SHOULD BE A FEMINIST

1. choice of a girl and a boy to choose his or her own beauty and appearances -dress code, clothing and clothing colours

2. young boys and girls should have idea about feminist take on sex education

3. young boys and girls should have the idea about love and likeness

4. young boys and girls should know that feminism is about owning your life in term of culture, tradition, skin colour, religion, social status or nationality

5. young boys and girls should be feminist so that they can have the idea of equal share of the care work / house chores in the house

6. young boys and girls should be feminist so that they have the privilege to widen and diversify their knowledge about role models

7.young boys and girls should stop the idea of body shaming

PROVE 2 -

I wrote an article about myself been a feminist and how i was tagged as one.

I will be using this post to support MI song " Soldier " about what he said

--- " I'm penning this, hoping that when you reminisce, we can start from the genesis, every man should be feminists "

The link -

https://www.facebook.com/100006710401084/posts/3248287525404896/?app=fbl

The post title- A FEMINIST MAN

I get such bad and awkward comment each time I have discussion with them (both men and women), in their own way I was tagged a “FEMINIST MAN” for the following reason or points:

1. My advocating and support for feminist, feminism and gender equality-in terms of equal pay and equal share of the care work / house chores in the house.

2. Choice of a girl and a boy to choose his or her own beauty and appearances -dress code, clothing and clothing colours.

3. My fight against sexist and sexism.

4. The idea that gender roles are nonsense.

5. My idea about how girls should reject the idea of likeability.

6. The idea that marriage is not an accomplishment and it should not be a major focus for girls.

7. Females should reject the act of chivalry

8. feminism and femininity are not mutually exclusive(feminism didn’t override femininity but instead an allurement to women identity)

FOURTH POINT ANALYSIS

" The young men trynna to be good to find purpose in a world telling you to be strong or else you're worthless "

The above point where MI said something about how boys are to be strong except they are tagged worthless or weaklings.

The back up is below for further clarification-

PROVE (FROM HER BOOK)

According to a popular literature book “”” DEAR IJEAWELE OR A FEMINIST MANIFESTO IN FIFTEEN SUGGESTIONS “””

From the Eleventh Suggestion

“”””” We often use biology to explain the privileges that men have, the most common reason being men’s physical superiority. It is of course true that men are in general physically stronger than women. But if we truly depended on biology as the root of social norms, then children would be identified as their mother’s rather than their father’s because when a child is born, the parent we are biologically – and incontrovertibly – certain of is the mother. We assume the father is who the mother says the father is. How many lineages all over the world are not biological, I wonder?
””””

CONCLUSION

Is a good one most of our artiste in the entertainment area climbing up to speed the concept of feminism for people to be aware about it.

The Nigeria artiste are now making sure more empowerment come to the side of women through music and other industry that promote medias.

I happily choose to be that offending feminist man which some individual have tagged me to be.

QUESTIONS FOR MY VIEWERS/FOLLOWERS

1. Does the above analyses go well with the song?

2. Have you listen to the song before?

3. What is your opinion about the post?

👉Readers are free to err their view and to go against my idea, am open for opposition of such post or articles.

Written by:

Kogwuonye Patrick Onyeka

Writer/Blogger/Educator/Tutor

Face book pages:

www.facebook.com/patrickwrite.org

www.facebook.com/feminisminnigeriaenvironment

www.facebook.com/patrickstories

(1) (Reply)

Pythagon - Far Away Sad Vibes / Listen: I Rather Have It By Ofego ( Time E Be Money Album) / Download Mp3: Didii – In My Head

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.