Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,727 members, 7,820,516 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? (32328 Views)

Offences That Will Kick You Out Of NYSC / List Of NYSC States' Orientation Camp And Secretariats Addresses In Nigeria / What's NYSC In LAGOS Like??? Please Share Your Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by aieromon(m): 9:27pm On Oct 10, 2011
godfadda6:

Using myself as an example, I studied in one of the most notorious school for part time studies in Lagos, (i don't want to call the name)

If the school is LASU,you are damn lucky.I got friends who made the mistake of enrolling into their part time programmes and are yet to get decent jobs due to lack of exemption certificates.
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:30pm On Oct 10, 2011
pinkrex:

You dint serve, . . . . . . . . you visited undecided

Why shouldn't a part time graduate be better than you as a fresher when he actually hustled hard on his job and maintained more perseverance to learn what he needs to keep doing to keep up with his fees?

I THINK SOUND AND COMPETENT PEOPLE WORK WITH THEIR EXPERIENCED BRAIN AND ALSO DEVELOPED SKILLS.

Sometimes they are more technically sound even, when you are busy propounding your theories they are already coupling the finished job.
They are more dedicated because they value how they got(get) there. undecided

Your post stopped making sense after the first paragraph,

You think just because a student is schooling part-time, they are better than fulltime graduates?! Please explain all that stuff you wrote,

And yeah I did serve, not visit, My job description was to compile monthly reports. I also did the yearly reports for 2 years (My service yearand that of the previous year because my boss hadnt done it), All I had to do was record the shipping activities at the port for the month which never took me more than 4 hours to finish, I did serve but rather than dress up everyday to go sit down in an office doing nothing but gisting and gossiping, I went proactive and used the time to do my own things,
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by sylve11: 10:55pm On Oct 10, 2011
pinkrex:

One year of sitting in a Government ministry, hanging your boots on your desk and playing with old civil servants? undecided
pinkrex:

One year of sitting in a Government ministry, hanging your boots on your desk and playing with old civil servants? undecided
pinkrex:

lol. It's like that in govt. ministry.
While those cert r necessary, i knw alot of guys who got employed without those aforemention certs, and r earning real moni. + God and man knw man, don't u think everything works out fine?

One thing is sweet abt d military university, when u graduate no one cares abt nysc/discarge cert. cool

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Redman44(m): 10:55pm On Oct 10, 2011
To me, the NYSC Scheme has no importance or significance to the Nigerian Labour Market. I am of the opinion that NYSC discharge certificates should not be requested for when graduates are seeking employment in Nigeria. I have seen many people that went for their youth service and returned worse than they were before the Service Year. The NYSC Scheme does not really add to the skills of Corpers nor does it make them more intelligent. I served in Ondo State and I came across a good number of Corpers who did not really know what they want to do with their lives after the Service Year. Many Youth Corpers serve in Ministries where they do not really do anything than to collect their token pay at the end of each month. Any Corper that learnt something during the Service Year must have done it through his or her own personal efforts. I learnt Desktop Publishing during my service year in Akure. I had to pay about 6,000 Naira for the Course. I came across Corpers who could not write their own CVs and who could not express themselves in good English.

I want a situation where the NYSC Scheme is transformed into a Program where Corpers are actually taught skills that will make them self employed after they complete the service year. Instead of posting Corpers to Schools ( There are many people out there already who have completed their service year and are looking for teaching jobs ) and Non Performing Ministries, I feel Corpers should be made to occupy Farm Settlements and taught how to farm on a small scale i.e Poultry Farming, Aquaculture, Vegetable Farming, Animal Husbandry etc. The Government should also assist them with small loans to kick off their ideas. Other Corpers can be assigened to Skill Acquisition centres where they can be taught how to make soaps, candles, chalk etc. We need more entrepreneurs in Nigeria and the NYSC Program can be used as a base for Entrepreneurial take offs in Nigeria. Corpers can learn how to make fruitr juice on a small scale during the service year. I know I might sound unrealistic but I believe Nigerians should be allowed to compete for jobs without the NYSC Discharge Certificate standing as a barrier before them. Cheers.

7 Likes

Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by AjanleKoko: 11:11pm On Oct 10, 2011
Redman44:

To me, the NYSC Scheme has no importance or significance to the Nigerian Labour Market. I am of the opinion that NYSC discharge certificates should not be requested for when graduates are seeking employment in Nigeria. I have seen many people that went for their youth service and returned worse than they were before the Service Year. The NYSC Scheme does not really add to the skills of Corpers nor does it make them more intelligent. I served in Ondo State and I came across a good number of Corpers who did not really know what they want to do with their lives after the Service Year. Many Youth Corpers serve in Ministries where they do not really do anything than to collect their token pay at the end of each month. Any Corper that learnt something during the Service Year must have done it through his or her own personal efforts. I learnt Desktop Publishing during my service year in Akure. I had to pay about 6,000 Naira for the Course. I came across Corpers who could not write their own CVs and who could not express themselves in good English.

I want a situation where the NYSC Scheme is transformed into a Program where Corpers are actually taught skills that will make them self employed after they complete the service year. Instead of posting Corpers to Schools ( There are many people out there already who have completed their service year and are looking for teaching jobs ) and Non Performing Ministries, I feel Corpers should be made to occupy Farm Settlements and taught how to farm on a small scale i.e Poultry Farming, Aquaculture, Vegetable Farming, Animal Husbandry etc. The Government should also assist them with small loans to kick off their ideas. Other Corpers can be assigened to Skill Acquisition centres where they can be taught how to make soaps, candles, chalk etc. We need more entrepreneurs in Nigeria and the NYSC Program can be used as a base for Entrepreneurial take offs in Nigeria. Corpers can learn how to make fruitr juice on a small scale during the service year. I know I might sound unrealistic but I believe Nigerians should be allowed to compete for jobs without the NYSC Discharge Certificate standing as a barrier before them. Cheers.

At all at all wink
If we were a nation of sane and humane nationalist thinkers, your proposal is what should be the target of the people entrusted with the decisions. However, we all know we're the hostages of bandits.
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Redman44(m): 6:29am On Oct 11, 2011
@Ajanlekoko,

Thank you so much. I believe the NYSC Program should be a Boot Camp for Corpers so that they will know what they want to do with their lives after the Service Year. I don't see any reason why Corpers should be sent to schools to teach when there are many NCE Holders out there who can impart knowledge into our kids and teenagers. There are many Graduates with Education Degrees and Diplomas who love teaching, and who unfortunately get sidelined by School Proprietors and Owners who see Youth Corpers as a source of cheap labour. What is the meaning of the word 'Corper' itself? It seems our leaders do not really know what the NYSC stands for. A Corper should return from the 12 Months Service with a burning ambition to start a business or invent something that will make life easier for Nigerians. Corpers should be used to develop Nigeria properly when it comes to Data Collection and Processing. We don't even have Register Offices in the country where Births and Deaths can be registered as they happen. What about the a proper Recycling Industry? These are industries that could be nurtured by Corpers with the support of the Federal Government. We need to revive the Cocoa, Rubber, Timber and Oil Palm Plantations with a view to returning Nigeria to her Agricultural Might. Corpers can be used to revive these comatose Cash Crop Industries which are spread all over Nigeria. I have so much to say but I need to go to work. I live in the Western World and you've got to turn up at work if you want to get paid. I am also an entrepreneur. Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by pinkrex(m): 8:58am On Oct 11, 2011
Okija_juju:

Your post stopped making sense after the first paragraph,

You think just because a student is schooling part-time, they are better than fulltime graduates?! Please explain all that stuff you wrote,

And yeah I did serve, not visit, My job description was to compile monthly reports. I also did the yearly reports for 2 years (My service yearand that of the previous year because my boss hadnt done it), All I had to do was record the shipping activities at the port for the month which never took me more than 4 hours to finish, I did serve but rather than dress up everyday to go sit down in an office doing nothing but gisting and gossiping, I went proactive and used the time to do my own things,

You reacted this way because you taking personal, . . . . . . You visiting and not serving doesn't mean you are not brilliant or dint learn anything from your service, Im just saying the purpose is always defeated. You said it your self that you barely went to the office more than 3 times in a month because nobody cared. . . . . so what are you saying bro? Recording shipping activities couldn't have prepared you for the labour market, or do you now work as a sailor or even with a shipping company? The fact is that you handled a secretarial function. undecided
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Ayowumie(m): 9:16am On Oct 11, 2011
linsa01:

The above topic reminds me of an interview i attended when i was just 5months in the service of my father's land. I told them 'i am still serving' and one Nigerian old man  just fired me, asking why i have to apply for a job when i'm still serving? Meanwhile, the white man in the panel was already creating interest in me. Realy felt bad about NYSC scheme that day.
I had the same experience. Am still in the service. I applied for a job 2 months ago. For this job, I am well qualified, having more than 2 years working experience and they are looking for fresh graduates. Am still fresh cos i finish in 2010. The problem? GO AND FINISH YOUR NYSC. It pisses me off anytime i remember that a lot of money is being thrown down the drain in the name of NYSC. I do nothing in MDGs Office that i am posted. There is a lot of work there, but i am an "outside". So, i do nothing. Which experience have i gained? boredom.

pinkrex:

Not really dear.  smileyThey are more experienced and better on the job. A fresh graduate is to be trained on the job afresh, but someone that works and school might not be eloquent or so fantastic but they are practically sound and can hit the ground running the day they assume roles.
Guy, which experience are you talking about? NYSC is a waste of valuable time. Sitting in the ministries, doing nothing? or teaching in the school? I only see teaching as an opportunity to impact on some one. NYSC teaching is not much of an experience.
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Anvaller: 9:25am On Oct 11, 2011
fxtopedia:

Why not correct bad construction as well as nasty punctuation couple with yeye spelling of yours before correcting the OP,
Must you gag his mouth because of his/her error. Nobody is Mr. Perfect when it comes to Oyinbo.

My guy, I dont understand you, what is so bad about this guy's write up? Do u just want to insult him by all means? I think he corrected the guy politely and gave him good advice. There is nothing in his comment that shows arrogance or trying to claim that he speaks perfect English. Why do we always like to attack ourselves as if we are at war?
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by pinkrex(m): 9:29am On Oct 11, 2011
Ayowumie:

I had the same experience. Am still in the service. I applied for a job 2 months ago. For this job, I am well qualified, having more than 2 years working experience and they are looking for fresh graduates. Am still fresh cos i finish in 2010. The problem? GO AND FINISH YOUR NYSC. It pisses me off anytime i remember that a lot of money is being thrown down the drain in the name of NYSC. I do nothing in MDGs Office that i am posted. There is a lot of work there, but i am an "outside". So, i do nothing. Which experience have i gained? boredom.
Guy, which experience are you talking about? NYSC is a waste of valuable time. Sitting in the ministries, doing nothing? or teaching in the school? I only see teaching as an opportunity to impact on some one. NYSC teaching is not much of an experience.

What are you saying? I was talking about the part time students and not the NYSC graduates undecided
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:35am On Oct 11, 2011
If I were to suggest a rebranding for NYSC, I will say they convert it to a 6 month military short-time service, Where we undergo full military drills, survival techniques and maybe even weapons training and self-defense, Then a 3-month vocational training in whatever course/feild we pick. Tailoring, farming whatever, At the end of the program, the government would I dentify those who excelled in their individual feilds and who would want to continue in it and sponsor them with an interest free loan that would take atleast 3 years to mature, That way you would see that we would have alot of small scale enterprenuers springing up all over.

After the first 10 years, the scheme can be expanded such that those graduants who have grown a big industry out of the scheme can even become partners with the government in training new corp members and hence even employing those who they want, Just saying sha.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Anvaller: 9:41am On Oct 11, 2011
Redman44:

Of course you have points but I believe you know that proposals that are even much more beautiful than this have been brought up so many times? Look, Nigeria is not short of ideas as a nation, but our leaders are irresponsible, and sadly but truly, it is a reflection of who we are. Majority of Nigerians are potentially corrupt so much that ppl give in for corruption easily as soon as they join public service at any level. That explains our perpetual failure that even our prayers can not solve unless we change our attitude.
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by MMM2(m): 2:23pm On Oct 11, 2011
2 me NYSC is just a wasted 1yr angry
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by fathfam(f): 2:58pm On Oct 11, 2011
There is a certificate called an exemption letter and that is what you just try and obtain from the university your abt graduating or must av graduated from. With that your as gud as aving the NYSC certificate and @that rude stupid boy that reponded to your Question at firs woo unto u idiot
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Amesko(m): 10:59pm On Mar 21, 2013
I have followed the comments by every nairalander that have participated in this forum,the truth of the mater is that those long formulas we were thought in the schools have little or nothing to do with working environment. You will have to be put through before you can perform in most work places ......cert.nysc,are just Nigerian factors . The issue should be can you perform,can you deliver,we worship all these certs here that is one of the reasons we are not getting things right unlike the Chinese.

1 Like

Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by coronaprof(m): 10:41pm On May 17, 2013
[color=#006600][/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

as a corper serving in the East, I have experienced challenges as in some key sectors especially banks. The scheme opens ones eye as in you know. But, the presence of good corpers helps corporate governance in a way
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Eniobanke86(m): 8:23am On Oct 09, 2014
Are u on drugs, who tell u say OSU na sch? Nawa for this belonging o undecidedAre u on drugs, who tell u say OSU na sch? Nawa for this belonging o
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Eniobanke86(m): 8:49am On Oct 09, 2014
Abayomin70:
guy dat one na lie oooo in my own  school oou also called osu also olabisis onabanjo univasty all cesap(part time)student ar given nysc exemptn leta dats in my school oooo i dont no of oda institution
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by AyoolaIgwe(m): 3:33am On Sep 07, 2015
Okijajuju1:

Like seriously!!

I served with the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency office in one of the SS states, MY GOD!! At some point I had to ask what they actually did?! My boss came to work by 11am and signs the timesheet as 7:30 am, And he would leave for lunch at 12 and not return till same time next day,

As much as I was paid, I felt useless as I am not a lazy person, I ended up going to work 3 times in a month, cos nobody cared.
Okijajuju1:

Like seriously!!

I served with the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency office in one of the SS states, MY GOD!! At some point I had to ask what they actually did?! My boss came to work by 11am and signs the timesheet as 7:30 am, And he would leave for lunch at 12 and not return till same time next day,

As much as I was paid, I felt useless as I am not a lazy person, I ended up going to work 3 times in a month, cos nobody cared.
Okijajuju1:

Like seriously!!

GUY NA HOLIDAY U GO DO, CLEARLY U WERE NOT SERVING UR FATHERLAND, U WERE 'FLEXING' WITH UR FATHERLAND...LOLZZZ
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by PRINCEOFPACE(m): 9:07pm On Nov 03, 2015
stepo707:

Lovely Experience.Thanks that was Inspiring

I tapped the Annoitting u use to Conquer, on dis journey I want to Embarrk on.so as for me to triumph also.
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by bee1989: 7:02pm On Nov 29, 2015
If u schooled abroad, don't just bother coming home for NYSC, its crap and useless for international students. I schooled in the UK with a postgraduate degree . for four years I have not got a meaningful job with my Nysc certificate. Try to get a job from the country you are coming from so u don't come and get stuck in Nigeria,s unemployment situation
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by bee1989: 7:18pm On Nov 29, 2015
Ajanlekoko, I like ur spirit and work ethic jare
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by TheGuy5: 3:48pm On Oct 06, 2016
Make your own money!
Train hard, work simple and smart!
Become a smart Cellphone Technical support guru
Skill is the capital you need!
A book resource is yours to consult continuously; A seminar or workshop is time limited.
Get this best trending book on Mobile phones and Tablets Repairs including how to get started. See reviews by readers in the image.
Available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, eBay etc
Or click link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/9789534116?keywords=mobile%20phones%20and%20tablets%20repairs&pc_redir=T1&qid=1463153220&sr=8-8

Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by larrymannmide: 10:32am On Oct 07, 2016
TELECOMS AND BILLS PAYMENT BUSINESS SHOULD DO IT.
It's no longer news that both the NYSC certificate holder and the ones with an ordinary school certificate are finding it difficult to secure a job both in government circle and corporate organization,thanks to the recession.
The only way out is to take your destiny in your hands.
Try your hands in Telecoms and Bills payment business.
The telecommunication industry has proven to be a stable industry regardless of the recession in Nigeria and other countries of the world. Owning a global business in the Telecoms industry happens to be the smartest thing to do.
For more information on how to position yourself in the Telecoms industry and earn a living everyday as people recharge their Mobile phones and pay bills through a unique platform that will be created for you,call/whatsapp 07057322320
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Clarity360Hub: 11:53pm On Apr 10, 2020
Call 08080939463

Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Ungodly: 8:08am On Jan 04, 2022
Godmother:
The certificate in itself is worthless. but companies take it serious, almost more serious than the real certificate you struggled four years for and its really hard to get a job without one

Then with what you have said about the NYSC certificate, how is it useless? Lol
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by Rockyrascal(m): 7:20am On Jan 05, 2022
yamakuza:

a way of cutting down eligible applicants in an over saturated market?
exactly!
Re: The Importance Of NYSC In The Labour Market? by JustSkb: 6:42am On Dec 02, 2022
NYSC: 2022 BATCH C I & C II

For:
- Direct posting
- Relocation
- PPA
Payment on approval.

Call/Whatsapp:

Group link: https:///LY87EV9BaSo6Snh96HN2F5

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Face Of The Akwa-Ibom Corper Burnt To Death In Road Accident / NYSC Requirements For Registration/ Mobilization Of Graduates For Batch A 2015 / This Cripple Man Completes His NYSC, Deserves Some Accolades. PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.