Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,363 members, 7,861,000 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:39 PM

. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / . (1068 Views)

What Is Your Take On Your In-laws Living In Same House With You? / 'No Difference Between Single Mothers And Prostitutes' - Lecturer / Mothers And Daughters Who Look The Same Age (Unbelievable Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by kiddkash(m): 2:33pm On Feb 20, 2023
Re: . by Romanoff(f): 2:46pm On Feb 20, 2023
It's because mothers have come to see themselves as gods in the lives of their sons.

I don't know why.

They won't just let their sons leave to cleave, they see the son's wife as a competition.

It also depends on how these sons handle the excesses of their mother.

3 Likes

Re: . by anthonyuncle(m): 2:53pm On Feb 20, 2023
women naturally have an issue with being loyal to one another.

when it comes to marriage, their is an issue of who has the son's ear.
this is one reason why a guy should neither be a sissy or a mummy's boy.

funny thing is that the wife complaining today would be the mother in law to be complained about tomorrow

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: . by Klass99(f): 3:05pm On Feb 20, 2023
smiley

5 Likes

Re: . by Lamanii22(f): 3:45pm On Feb 20, 2023
I live with my mil at the moment, we sometimes don’t agree with each other especially regarding how I want to raise my daughter, I believe in discipline but she believes in spoiling and I would never ever spoil my child… I put some boundaries in that aspect… every other thing we are good together…

3 Likes

Re: . by Zico777(m): 7:29pm On Feb 20, 2023
Lamanii22:
I live with my mil at the moment, we sometimes don’t agree with each other especially regarding how I want to raise my daughter, I believe in discipline but she believes in spoiling and I would never ever spoil my child… I put some boundaries in that aspect… every other thing we are good together…
Your husband has a great role to play here, by letting his mom let u be!

2 Likes

Re: . by Zico777(m): 7:31pm On Feb 20, 2023
Klass99:
I'm not sure what exactly the issue is, but I suspect the hostility stems from a number of factors like;

1. A woman/mother who genuinely has no joy in her life or soul. You know the sort of people who have bad belle inside of them for no good reason. People whose hearts and souls are just bad or tainted with evil, regardless of their religiosity. All their religion has no influence or effect in their lives.

2. Women/mothers who don't have a life of their own and never built one either, because they were too busy focusing on their children. A prevalent advice to wives whose husbands cheat a lot, used to be, just focus on your children as far as he is paying the bills.

So, they focused on the children and didn't do anything else with their lives. Now that the children are grown and married, dear mother is still focused on them, unable let go, doesn't know how to or what to do with her own life.

3. Some women/mothers are seriously ill mannered, dem just get busybody for body like die. It's like they were born with it or they weren't brought up well and they didn't bother to improve themselves. They have no boundaries and they don't respect other people's boundaries, they love to get all up in their children's business. The mentality of this is my child, I sacrificed a lot for him or her, you were not there when I was raising him, blah, blah, blah....doesn't help either, it just fuels their bad behaviour.

4. Parenting or having children in this part of the world, is almost synonymous with ownership. Misguided and ill informed parents practically act like they own you and they own your life, because they gave birth to you. They forget God gives life and is the owner of life, they were only vessels through which a life was created.
Factor no2 is very common amongst many women.
Re: . by Kobojunkie: 7:45pm On Feb 20, 2023
kiddkash:
■ Why do mothers feel that no woman is ever good enough for their son. According to the thread a nairalanders created earlier today.
■ My grandmother is about 88 years old, and yet throws subtle hostility towards my mother. My mother is the best in the world. Even recently when my grandmother came to stay with us for over a month, she did it. Before anyone says it is not true, I am matured enough to know what is and what isn't. My younger sister told me that my grandmother wanted someone else to get married to my father when they were younger.
■ So, I want to know the root cause of the hostilities from mothers towards their daughter-in-laws
1. Not all mothers feel that way so it is wrong to go about painting all mothers are mentally lacking. There are equally many examples of women who don't exhibit such animosities towards other women. undecided

2. Your grandmother simply happens to be one of the many mothers out there whose sense of self happen to remain wrapped around her son possibly thanks to her defective upbringing. undecided

3. When women grow up believing their lives are defined by the decisions their children or sons make in life, that is typically what results. undecided
Re: . by Kobojunkie: 7:48pm On Feb 20, 2023
Romanoff:
■ It's because mothers have come to see themselves as gods in the lives of their sons. I don't know why. They won't just let their sons leave to cleave, they see the son's wife as a competition. It also depends on how these sons handle the excesses of their mother.
1. gods aren't clingy though. Na demons dey dey that way. Such mothers are tend to have no life of their own as it all revolves for them around their kids or sons , a clear sign of psychological dependence of the unhealthy kind. undecided
Re: . by Lamanii22(f): 7:57pm On Feb 20, 2023
Zico777:

Your husband has a great role to play here, by letting his mom let u be!

He’s too complacent…. He is always on her side somehow… I’m not a trouble maker but I’m firm with my decisions

2 Likes

Re: . by Zico777(m): 8:17pm On Feb 20, 2023
Lamanii22:

He’s too complacent…. He is always on her side somehow… I’m not a trouble maker but I’m firm with my decisions
He shouldn't be o!
It's good u are standing your ground.

1 Like

Re: . by Beremx(f): 8:25pm On Feb 20, 2023
Even at 88 years your grandmother still doesn't like her daughter in-law who is your mother?

Na wa for your grandmother o!! 😐😐😐
Re: . by Nazgul: 10:27pm On Feb 20, 2023
The problem lies with the man. Most young men have failed to draw the line between being a bachelor and being a married man.

The moment you get married, you must let your mom know that you're now a man in case she's still sees you as a baby. And if she must visit, she has to call, and say how long she'll be visiting. Her home is her husbands house not her son's house.

1 Like

Re: . by BlongTrendies(f): 10:30am On Feb 21, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. gods aren't clingy though. Na demons dey dey that way. Such mothers are tend to have no life of their own as it all revolves for them around their kids or sons , a clear sign of psychological dependence of the unhealthy kind. undecided

Love this
Re: . by bukatyne(f): 10:37am On Feb 21, 2023
Most of the troublesome MILs replaced their bad husbands with their sons so it almost feels like the wife is taking away her lover.

You rarely see women who lived good lives/have good relationships with their husbands disturb their DILs.

1 Like

Re: . by Saintmary(f): 11:25am On Feb 21, 2023
bukatyne:
Most of the troublesome MILs replaced their bad husbands with their sons so it almost feels like the wife is taking away her lover.

You rarely see women who lived good lives/have good relationships with their husbands disturb their DILs.

Perfectly said.

2 Likes

Re: . by Saintmary(f): 11:34am On Feb 21, 2023
kiddkash:
Why do mothers feel that no woman is ever good enough for their son

According to the thread a nairalanders created earlier today.

My grandmother is about 88 years old, and yet throws subtle hostility towards my mother. My mother is the best in the world.
Even recently when my grandmother came to stay with us for over a month, she did it.

Before anyone says it is not true, I am matured enough to know what is and what isn't.

My younger sister told me that my grandmother wanted someone else to get married to my father when they were younger.

So, I want to know the root cause of the hostilities from mothers towards their daughter-in-laws

You already got the root cause from replies, now, what is the solution?

That's the next thing to discuss.

As long as we as a society keep condoning, enabling, and pardoning infidelities without making husbands accountable, women will keep finding unhealthy/healthy means of coping.

Imagine the family of your son suffering in the next 30 years because you can't control yourself.
Re: . by Saintmary(f): 11:40am On Feb 21, 2023
Nigerian societies absolutely love to hold women accountable for their actions, everyday you see threads about mothers in law, women issues here and there.

Hardly will you see threads about unfaithful husbands, they are very few.

Until you all accept that marital infidelity is an offence that has a consequence, maybe not in the eyes of the law, until you start avoiding things that will bring problems later in your lives, till then, keep dealing with mother in law issues.
Re: . by Justbehave(m): 1:36pm On Feb 21, 2023
Saintmary:
Nigerian societies absolutely love to hold women accountable for their actions, everyday you see threads about mothers in law, women issues here and there.

Until you all accept that marital infidelity is an offence that has a consequence, maybe not in the eyes of the law, until you start avoiding things that will bring problems later in your lives, till then, keep dealing with mother in law issues.
You can start by telling us how unfaithful your husband or boyfriend is. Post it and we will gladly comment.

1 Like

Re: . by Zico777(m): 2:02pm On Feb 21, 2023
Saintmary:

You already got the root cause from replies, now, what is the solution?

That's the next thing to discuss.

As long as we as a society keep condoning, enabling, and pardoning infidelities without making husbands accountable, women will keep finding unhealthy/healthy means of coping.

Imagine the family of your son suffering in the next 30 years because you can't control yourself.
So out of point!
Re: . by Zico777(m): 2:03pm On Feb 21, 2023
undecided
Saintmary:

Re: . by Zico777(m): 2:05pm On Feb 21, 2023
Justbehave:
You can start by telling us how unfaithful your husband or boyfriend is. Post it and we will gladly comment.
Abi o!
Re: . by Saintmary(f): 2:08pm On Feb 21, 2023
Justbehave:

You missed my point.

Complaining about mothers in law and women's behavior is only dealing with the branch, the real root is being left uncut, which is the attitude towards their husbands shabby behavior in marriage.

No one is holding those men accountable, hence the ripple effects.

P. S. My family is okay so far, so your attempt to shame me for an assumed infidelity just fell flat.
Re: . by Saintmary(f): 2:10pm On Feb 21, 2023
Zico777:

So out of point!

Of course my comment is outside the range of your comprehension, go and play with your PS5.
Re: . by Zico777(m): 2:14pm On Feb 21, 2023
Saintmary:

Of course my comment is outside the range of your comprehension, go and play with your PS5.
U are very silly!
Uncultured girl!
Re: . by Saintmary(f): 2:19pm On Feb 21, 2023
Zico777:

U are very silly!
Uncultured girl!

Hmmmmm

You want me and you to start trading insults?

You

You that can't even understand less than 6 paragraphs of a post I put up there?

You are at the level of kindergarten children, just maintain your lane, but I know you still want to throw insults, so, just face your family and insult them to your dirty heart's content.

1 Like

Re: . by Zico777(m): 2:20pm On Feb 21, 2023
slowpoke
Saintmary:

Hmmmmm

You want me and you to start trading insults?

You

You that can't even understand less than 6 paragraphs of a post I put up there?

You are at the level of kindergarten children, just maintain your lane, but I know you still want to throw insults, so, just face your family and insult them to your dirty heart's content.
Re: . by Justbehave(m): 2:45pm On Feb 21, 2023
Saintmary:

You missed my point.

Complaining about mothers in law and women's behavior is only dealing with the branch, the real root is being left uncut, which is the attitude towards their husbands shabby behavior in marriage.

No one is holding those men accountable, hence the ripple effects.

P. S. My family is okay so far, so your attempt to shame me for an assumed infidelity just fell flat.
We are saying the same thing or maybe you are the one who is confused.
The post is about mother in-laws and wives but in your quest to blame men,you left the discussion and brought up infidelity against men.
Like I said,if your husband is exhibiting shabby behaviours or being unfaithful to you which is the root of the problems in your family then go deal with him.

1 Like

Re: . by Justbehave(m): 3:33pm On Feb 21, 2023
Zico777:

Abi o!
Her hatred for men is what made her to type that. She could not withstand the truth that mother in-laws and wives nah cat and dog. Lol
Re: . by Zico777(m): 4:26pm On Feb 21, 2023
Justbehave:
Her hatred for men is what made her to type that. She could not withstand the truth that mother in-laws and wives nah cat and dog. Lol
U dey mind that one!
Re: . by Kobojunkie: 10:35pm On Feb 21, 2023
Saintmary:
■ Nigerian societies absolutely love to hold women accountable for their actions, everyday you see threads about mothers in law, women issues here and there. Hardly will you see threads about unfaithful husbands, they are very few. Until you all accept that marital infidelity is an offence that has a consequence, maybe not in the eyes of the law, until you start avoiding things that will bring problems later in your lives, till then, keep dealing with mother in law issues.
I always hold women responsible because

▪︎ majority of these men were supposedly raised by women who had position and opportunity to positively impact their lives in order to at least help them understand the place of respect for all regardless of tribe, or gender
▪︎ these men who cheat do so with women, many many who were raised by women to believing they are incomplete without in their lives to cater to or even bear kids for
▪︎ a good portion of those who belittle women who step away from the norm as imposed on them by a male dominated society are themselves women
▪︎ many of these duplicitous male characters men do not marry themselves.
▪︎ women condone the cheating by remaining in relationships with their duplicitous partners more often than not

If women could raise themselves to a higher standard that what is currently obtainable certainly the tides will begin to turn. undecided
Re: . by Saintmary(f): 1:52am On Feb 22, 2023
Justbehave:
We are saying the same thing or maybe you are the one who is confused.
The post is about mother in-laws and wives but in your quest to blame men,you left the discussion and brought up infidelity against men.
Like I said,if your husband is exhibiting shabby behaviours or being unfaithful to you which is the root of the problems in your family then go deal with him.

Quest

To blame men

You are not ready to find solutions if you view this as a men versus women matter.

Men and women are yin and yang, intertwined and forever interwoven as long as we all coexist on this planet.

But then my words are flying over your head because you don't have the capacity to absorb them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

It is well / Loneliness Is A Very Bad Thing. / 21 Years With No Dad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.